This day on December 6
Acquired: Fredrik Olausson (1993)
Departed: Geoff Smith (1993)

Happy Birthday To: Walsh86, Kurri17, RaffiTorresFan14, RaffiTime, dongretzky99, thebaron, southsideoilers

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770865]
Sun, 20 December 2020 14:10 Go to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

As per Sportsnet, etc.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770866 is a reply to message #770865 ]
Sun, 20 December 2020 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Sun, 20 December 2020 14:10

As per Sportsnet, etc.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l46CDHTqbmnGZyxKo/giphy.gif

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770868 is a reply to message #770865 ]
Sun, 20 December 2020 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

1 Cup

welcometotheOC wrote on Sun, 20 December 2020 14:10

As per Sportsnet, etc.

And I shall continue paying for cable. Haven’t fired it up since August 7.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770869 is a reply to message #770868 ]
Sun, 20 December 2020 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan is currently online GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Wondering if this will affect the Leafs and Senators.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-will-enter-province-wide- lockdown-as-of-christmas-eve-sources-say-1.5239437

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770871 is a reply to message #770869 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

This countries governments continues to absolutely amaze me and not in a good way. The NHL comes out with an all Canadian division. So all players have to come into their Canadian City and quarantine themselves even if they are completely healthy before they can even practice. The NHL itself will be testing their players WAY more than any one person will get tested. The players will probably be getting tested almost daily whether they have a symptom or not. They will travel to the airport on their private bus and go into an area that most people can't go to, to get on their private jet and only be around their teammates and staff. So these players will be around far less random people than an average person but a few provinces have concerns.

Yet I, a normal person who doesn't have to quarantine if I am "healthy". Who the only way I will be tested is if I am physically sick. I get myself to the airport as I please, I can go to the airport today, in all the common areas, interact with whoever I want, jump on a commercial plane with however many strangers and go to anywhere in the country and walk around without getting tested. As long as I wear my mask, the provinces are cool with that. They don't worry about random people travelling all over the country basically totally unaccounted for who could have the virus and no one would know until its spread. Yet they worry about sports teams who will test the crap out of their players and you will know they are virus free way more than any one average person. How the hell does that make any sense?

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770872 is a reply to message #770871 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 08:22

This countries governments continues to absolutely amaze me and not in a good way. The NHL comes out with an all Canadian division. So all players have to come into their Canadian City and quarantine themselves even if they are completely healthy before they can even practice. The NHL itself will be testing their players WAY more than any one person will get tested. The players will probably be getting tested almost daily whether they have a symptom or not. They will travel to the airport on their private bus and go into an area that most people can't go to, to get on their private jet and only be around their teammates and staff. So these players will be around far less random people than an average person but a few provinces have concerns.

Yet I, a normal person who doesn't have to quarantine if I am "healthy". Who the only way I will be tested is if I am physically sick. I get myself to the airport as I please, I can go to the airport today, in all the common areas, interact with whoever I want, jump on a commercial plane with however many strangers and go to anywhere in the country and walk around without getting tested. As long as I wear my mask, the provinces are cool with that. They don't worry about random people travelling all over the country basically totally unaccounted for who could have the virus and no one would know until its spread. Yet they worry about sports teams who will test the crap out of their players and you will know they are virus free way more than any one average person. How the hell does that make any sense?

It sounds like it is one province really that's holding it up. They aren't unique - it sounds like the Kings may start the year in Arizona, so if the Canucks start in Edmonton or Calgary, so be it.

It's a pretty unique time, and I do understand how a government would struggle with the optics of cancelling your kid's hockey but then allowing a professional team to play. While I also understand how that isn't the same thing, it's something that politicians will take some level of heat for - which often factors heavily in political decisions.

It doesn't sound like it will really have much impact. Either the Canucks play in Vancouver or they play somewhere else. That only sucks for the Canucks, so I'm generally in favour of it, and hope that Regina adopts them.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770874 is a reply to message #770872 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 09:06

It sounds like it is one province really that's holding it up. They aren't unique - it sounds like the Kings may start the year in Arizona, so if the Canucks start in Edmonton or Calgary, so be it.

It's a pretty unique time, and I do understand how a government would struggle with the optics of cancelling your kid's hockey but then allowing a professional team to play. While I also understand how that isn't the same thing, it's something that politicians will take some level of heat for - which often factors heavily in political decisions.

It doesn't sound like it will really have much impact. Either the Canucks play in Vancouver or they play somewhere else. That only sucks for the Canucks, so I'm generally in favour of it, and hope that Regina adopts them.

I get it but it does make very little sense if a person looks at it objectively. There is ton of hypocrisy is worrying about a business that would be way, way more careful and have more protocols than any 1 individual would have.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770876 is a reply to message #770874 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 09:27

I get it but it does make very little sense if a person looks at it objectively. There is ton of hypocrisy is worrying about a business that would be way, way more careful and have more protocols than any 1 individual would have.

The other issue you have as a government is that once you give one exception, then you have a precedent for people asking for others. I think some of those concerns are reasonable. If you're a small business owner that's been shut down, you're likely annoyed to see the province/city/country bending over backwards to help out a group that hasn't been as drastically impacted by all this as you have.

It's just not something I can get really up in arms about either way. Everyone is making tough decisions right now, so if BC decides the Canucks aren't a priority? So be it.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770878 is a reply to message #770876 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 09:57

The other issue you have as a government is that once you give one exception, then you have a precedent for people asking for others. I think some of those concerns are reasonable. If you're a small business owner that's been shut down, you're likely annoyed to see the province/city/country bending over backwards to help out a group that hasn't been as drastically impacted by all this as you have.

It's just not something I can get really up in arms about either way. Everyone is making tough decisions right now, so if BC decides the Canucks aren't a priority? So be it.

I am not diminishing the struggles small business has but can a small business test all his employees daily? Nope. The NHL teams are going to buy their own tests, probably buy their own rapid tests and hire their own lab. So they can prove their players and employees are safe and not passing on the virus. As careful as any small business can be, can they do that? Nope. Can the small business guarantee the people that come into their business are virus free? Nope. The NHL team can. All the teams coming into the City could be tested and passed prior to jumping on the isolated plane. Then they are isolated all the way to the rink and hotel. A player can't hide from a test result. What can a small business do? Well they can ensure the person coming in has a mask on, they can ask all the questions, they can even shoot a temperature. But what if the person doesn't have a temperature but has other symptoms the mask covers. So they have a cough but they hold it in as they suck on a cough drop to keep the cough under control. They have a sore throat but how would you know that. They have a runny nose but as long as they aren't sucking up snot under the mask, you'd never know. There are lots of people who don't think the virus is a big deal and who are more than willing to go about their normal business while displaying multiple symptoms because they never stayed home with cold like symptoms before covid, so why start now.

So I totally get where you are coming from but they are on completely different levels. It's all about risk and controlling the risks. An NHL team with the resources and contacts they would have and the amount of available money they could spend on safe far exceeds what any small business could ever hope to do. I work for a small company and we did lots of covid safety policies. Prior to them mandating working from home, we had masks in all open areas. We put up plexiglass to separate a few employees who didn't have their own office. We had hand sani all over the place. Didn't let people in our office without a mask, etc, etc. We did it all and I felt we were pretty safe. We can't compare to what the Oilers could do. Not even close.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 December 2020 10:22]

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770879 is a reply to message #770878 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 10:19

I am not diminishing the struggles small business has but can a small business test all his employees daily? Nope. The NHL teams are going to buy their own tests, probably buy their own rapid tests and hire their own lab. So they can prove their players and employees are safe and not passing on the virus. As careful as any small business can be, can they do that? Nope. Can the small business guarantee the people that come into their business are virus free? Nope. The NHL team can. All the teams coming into the City could be tested and passed prior to jumping on the isolated plane. Then they are isolated all the way to the rink and hotel. A player can't hide from a test result. What can a small business do? Well they can ensure the person coming in has a mask on, they can ask all the questions, they can even shoot a temperature. But what if the person doesn't have a temperature but has other symptoms the mask covers. So they have a cough but they hold it in as they suck on a cough drop to keep the cough under control. They have a sore throat but how would you know that. They have a runny nose but as long as they aren't sucking up snot under the mask, you'd never know. There are lots of people who don't think the virus is a big deal and who are more than willing to go about their normal business while displaying multiple symptoms because they never stayed home with cold like symptoms before covid, so why start now.

So I totally get where you are coming from but they are on completely different levels. It's all about risk and controlling the risks. An NHL team with the resources and contacts they would have and the amount of available money they could spend on safe far exceeds what any small business could ever hope to do. I work for a small company and we did lots of covid safety policies. Prior to them mandating working from home, we had masks in all open areas. We put up plexiglass to separate a few employees who didn't have their own office. We had hand sani all over the place. Didn't let people in our office without a mask, etc, etc. We did it all and I felt we were pretty safe. We can't compare to what the Oilers could do. Not even close.

Now, imagine you're a politician and you're going to have to justify this 50 times a day to people.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770881 is a reply to message #770879 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 10:34

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 10:19

Now, imagine you're a politician and you're going to have to justify this 50 times a day to people.

Well #1 it's their job to do that.

#2 It's flat out laziness in my opinion to have 1 policy that you decide is going to cover everyone no matter what. There should be a way for companies to be able to do things if they want to meet certain criteria. You don't have to make the criteria easy but if a mom and pop hardware store wants to be able to do things on a level as an NHL team, great. Here is the process you need to do that. An NHL team is going to have to do things WAY WAY past the level of any small business will ever do yet they are being compared to a coffee shop?

I personally believe that if the Oilers are willing to out of pocket do all these measures that my company would never ever afford nor ever do, I don't think they should be painted with the same brush that my company is. My company employs 20 people. We spent probably a couple 1000 tops on plexiglass, hand sani and a few boxes of masks. The Oilers to play will employ what, 70 people? Maybe someone knows the number with players, medical staff, coaches, etc. But they will spend probably 10's of millions on testing, isolating protocols, etc. If they are willing to go through all that and pay that much to play, I am not going to wag my finger that them and say "nope, sorry, got to be like me."

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770888 is a reply to message #770881 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

" Jack Michaels
@EdmontonJack
·
8m
Edmonton indeed will play CGY & VAN 10 times, the other Canadian clubs nine each."

Nasty.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770889 is a reply to message #770888 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 13:38

" Jack Michaels
@EdmontonJack
·
8m
Edmonton indeed will play CGY & VAN 10 times, the other Canadian clubs nine each."

Nasty.

It's fine for one year given the circumstances, but I'll be honest: playing six teams 9 or 10 times a season is going to get old fast. I'm not a fan of it or looking forward to it, but it will work given the state of the world right now.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770890 is a reply to message #770889 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 13:55

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 13:38

" Jack Michaels
@EdmontonJack
·
8m

Nasty.

It's fine for one year given the circumstances, but I'll be honest: playing six teams 9 or 10 times a season is going to get old fast. I'm not a fan of it or looking forward to it, but it will work given the state of the world right now.

Yeah - it's a little boring to see the same team over and over and over and over...but oh well. It's better than no hockey.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770891 is a reply to message #770890 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Some other key dates.

Trade deadline: April 12
Stanley Cup awarded: mid-July
Expansion draft for the new Seattle team: July 21
Entry draft: July 23-24
Free agency: July 28

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770894 is a reply to message #770865 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

3 Cups

Chris Johnson is saying he's seen a schedule where there is an instance of a pair of teams paying each other 4 times straight.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770895 is a reply to message #770894 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 17:17

Chris Johnson is saying he's seen a schedule where there is an instance of a pair of teams paying each other 4 times straight.

That's going to save some travel money for the franchises, but the downside will be increased injuries as a result of cheapness and retaliation with cheapness. Hope the Oilers have guys who are going to step up in dealing with this.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770898 is a reply to message #770865 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Other news of note.

The NHL is going to sell advertisements on helmets this season.

I understand it. I also hate it and where it could lead.

Clean house or bust

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770902 is a reply to message #770898 ]
Mon, 21 December 2020 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 21 December 2020 19:39

Other news of note.

I moved to England for a gap year when I was in my early twenties and I kept seeing people wearing shirts that advertised for some phone company, Vodaphone. I couldn't understand why it had such loyal customers.

Eventually I figured out they were wearing Manchester United jerseys.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770906 is a reply to message #770898 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Other news of note.

I'm shocked they didn't sell space on helmets and jerseys in the bubble last summer. Hope the ads aren't like the dumb looking huge stickers on helmets you see at the Spengler Cup, hope they aren't too dominant in terms of space, and hope they go away when the arenas can fill again.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770907 is a reply to message #770898 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Other news of note.

I'm so used to seeing sponsorship of sporting teams I'm shocked that the NHL hasn't already allowed this. Whilst I know a lot of hockey fans won't be happy over this, after the loss of income due to the pandemic this year it's of no surprise that they are doing this.

I remember when shirt sponsorship first came into England, at first the TV companies wouldn't allow teams to be shown wearing sponsorship, then when they relented it had to be a certain size. We now see sponsors on the front and sleeves of most teams in the Premier League as well as different sponsorship of training gear.

I wouldn't want to see the NHL follow suit of some of the European teams where they have so many sponsors you can hardly see the jerseys for the sponsors patches. I think the NHL should perhaps make clear instructions on how large the sponsors logo branding can be. I do see a point where jersey sponsorship will come in and again I'd hope the NHL would be restrictive of where they can be placed and how big.

I'm curious as to the levels of the deals and who will be sponsoring teams. For whilst a club like Man Utd can command $560m for 7 years from Chevy, they have little reach in the UK or Europe, so the target audience is beyond the clubs local fans. Globally the NHL isn't anywhere near the level of the Premier League in terms of audience reach, I'm not sure that they'll make to meet how much they've lost this year and next with these deals, but I'm sure they'll help somehow.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770908 is a reply to message #770907 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Supposedly they think they will make 15 million from ad revenue off of helmets.

Which means it will never go away after this.

Clean house or bust

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770911 is a reply to message #770908 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 22 December 2020 10:38

I can learn to live with this- I watch football, a sport where professional teams wear numerous sponsor logos on their kits all the time, so it's something I've gotten used to. I also understand that the NHL never has been and likely never will be as lucrative a league as the NBA or MLB much less the NFL, so they need to get revenue from every stream they can get, especially in a season where gate receipts will be drastically reduced due to the pandemic.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770912 is a reply to message #770911 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I wouldn't have a problem if they put ad revenue on the helmets. The jersey and logo are the critical part of how the team looks in my opinion.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770913 is a reply to message #770912 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Washington Capitals and NJ Devils get things rolling.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/capitals-devils-become- first-nhl-teams-brand-placement-helmets/

Capitals with Capital One and Devils with Prudential on the helmets.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770914 is a reply to message #770913 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't see anything wrong with that. Not over the top, in your face.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770916 is a reply to message #770908 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

As long as it's nowhere near this intrusive:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/spengler-1-640x360.jpg

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770917 is a reply to message #770916 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 22 December 2020 14:28

As long as it's nowhere near this intrusive:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/spengler-1-640x360.jpg

Go team Wurth?

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770918 is a reply to message #770908 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Yep - and it makes some sense. I hate adding ads, but with the players guaranteed that they get 50% of HRR, the focus on growing HRR however possible was always going to eventually become a priority if the organic growth of the league slowed. We're there now, and I can't see it going back.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770920 is a reply to message #770918 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 December 2020 14:00

Yep - and it makes some sense. I hate adding ads, but with the players guaranteed that they get 50% of HRR, the focus on growing HRR however possible was always going to eventually become a priority if the organic growth of the league slowed. We're there now, and I can't see it going back.

I just really hope it’s not a slippery slope to this...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/LeBron_James_Lakers.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 22 December 2020 16:09]

Clean house or bust

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #791232 is a reply to message #770920 ]
Tue, 17 August 2021 17:57 Go to previous message

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 22 December 2020 15:06

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 December 2020 14:00

I just really hope it’s not a slippery slope to this...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/LeBron_James_Lakers.jpg

Narrator: It was.

Clean house or bust

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770921 is a reply to message #770865 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

So they’ve changed the offside rule. The skate no longer has to be on the ice, just within the verticals plane of the blue line to stay onside.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770923 is a reply to message #770921 ]
Tue, 22 December 2020 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 22 December 2020 16:36

So they’ve changed the offside rule. The skate no longer has to be on the ice, just within the verticals plane of the blue line to stay onside.

WHAT??!?! They can actually figure out the location of skates on a plane perpendicular to a flat surface?!??!

https://media4.giphy.com/media/26ufdipQqU2lhNA4g/giphy.gif

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770929 is a reply to message #770923 ]
Wed, 23 December 2020 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Still baffles me how it took this long to change this rule. Who cares if the skate is in the air. It's either in or out of the zone and all you have to do is have a tiny part of your skate in the blue paint. The fact that it's in the air shouldn't matter. The skate is in the blue or not.

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770930 is a reply to message #770929 ]
Wed, 23 December 2020 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 December 2020 09:23

Still baffles me how it took this long to change this rule. Who cares if the skate is in the air. It's either in or out of the zone and all you have to do is have a tiny part of your skate in the blue paint. The fact that it's in the air shouldn't matter. The skate is in the blue or not.

I actually think that the rule made sense - right up until they started using video and fractions of an inch as a determinant. I still don't think that we need everything 1000% correct all the time and that linesmen did a good job generally. I was fine with human error, and the extremely rare situation like that Colorado goal where the guy was 10 feet off-side.

But since the NHL has shown themselves to be incapable of giving up that review, this probably had to happen.

I look forward to this now evolving to super slo-mo frame by frame analysis as to whether any part of the players skate was on the right side of the line...

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770931 is a reply to message #770930 ]
Wed, 23 December 2020 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 December 2020 10:43

I actually think that the rule made sense - right up until they started using video and fractions of an inch as a determinant. I still don't think that we need everything 1000% correct all the time and that linesmen did a good job generally. I was fine with human error, and the extremely rare situation like that Colorado goal where the guy was 10 feet off-side.

But since the NHL has shown themselves to be incapable of giving up that review, this probably had to happen.

I look forward to this now evolving to super slo-mo frame by frame analysis as to whether any part of the players skate was on the right side of the line...

They should have expanded this to any body part just to make some reviews extra interesting!

Looking to see if a loose chin strap is breaking the plane to negate an offside. That's the kinda stuff we all live for.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement [message #770933 is a reply to message #770931 ]
Wed, 23 December 2020 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 23 December 2020 11:27

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 December 2020 10:43

They should have expanded this to any body part just to make some reviews extra interesting!

Looking to see if a loose chin strap is breaking the plane to negate an offside. That's the kinda stuff we all live for.

The important thing is reducing scoring.

Actually what they should do is if a challenge is good, the goal still counts but you get a power play or a penalty shot.

Previous Topic:Arizona is in deep doo doo
Next Topic:Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca