This day on September 28
Acquired: Eldon Reddick (1989) Kevin Lowe (1996)

Happy Birthday To: GagnerRocks, Scribe

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Oilers rumoured offer to Lucic
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674237]
Thu, 30 June 2016 16:57 Go to next message
scotiaoiler  is currently offline scotiaoiler

No Cups

Elliotte Friedman is reporting he hears the Oilers offer to Lucic is 6 mill over 7 years. If this is true it will be a boat anchor contract in a few years. Same money as Hall on a longer contract. I don't think we are in position to benefit from a contract with Lucic like this short term. Meaning we won't be making a run at the cup while Lucic might be worth his yearly salary. When we might be down the road this contract will put us in a bad position. Can't see how they couldn't wait to trade Hall till after July first. Now PM has to do something and Lucic holds the cards. LA backed out of 6 for 6 deal. Hope we don't sign him for that. Some big contracts coming up.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674238 is a reply to message #674237 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

If that's true though, is anyone actually surprised?

It is what it is. A contract that will hurt us long-term, and help them immediately (which it better after yesterday's trade).

I think you can make it work, especially if you front load it like someone suggested. It might not be smart, but at least I understand it and I think I'm already prepared and come to terms with it. He'll look good with McDavid for a few years.

Re: oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674241 is a reply to message #674238 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lowebudget  is currently offline lowebudget

No Cups

Meh...enough teams have shown us that getting rid of ugly contracts isn't necessarily impossible (Clarkson, Bickell, Datsyuk etc).

Re: oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674243 is a reply to message #674241 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

lowebudget wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 16:35

Meh...enough teams have shown us that getting rid of ugly contracts isn't necessarily impossible (Clarkson, Bickell, Datsyuk etc).

This is a good point. If you have to give the player 7 years, and you expect the player to decline in the last 2-3 then you better win in the first 3-4 years. After that, you just need a good capologist and some creative GM'ing.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674245 is a reply to message #674243 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

All we need him for, is four years, enough for Conner to bring home one to four Stanleys. Then I'll be able to stomach another rebuild.

Are we getting close to having move rebuilds than cups?

1. Gagner/Penner/Souray Rebuild - Title: Chasing a Dream
2. Hall/Eberle/Nuge Rebuild - Title: No More Dream Chasing/Oil Change
3. Nail/Drai/MacT Rebuild - Title: The Bold and Impatient
4. Conner Rebuild - Title: Restart the Clock

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674246 is a reply to message #674243 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Yes you can move big contracts but what will be the price? We will have a lot of contracts coming up in the next 2-4 years. How many draft picks,prospects might you have to give up to get rid of that contract. How many ufa's do you miss out on? The price goes up when people know you are desperate as we all know. Too long a term and to high a cost in my opinion. LA backed out of a year less and he wanted to sign for them again

Re: oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674247 is a reply to message #674246 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

scotiaoiler wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 18:18

Yes you can move big contracts but what will be the price? We will have a lot of contracts coming up in the next 2-4 years. How many draft picks,prospects might you have to give up to get rid of that contract. How many ufa's do you miss out on? The price goes up when people know you are desperate as we all know. Too long a term and to high a cost in my opinion. LA backed out of a year less and he wanted to sign for them again

Actually LA backed on a deal under 6 for 6 years. Not sure how much under though

Re: oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674248 is a reply to message #674246 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lowebudget  is currently offline lowebudget

No Cups

scotiaoiler wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 17:18

Well, if you're Nashville, you trade your bloated contract that is Weber for P.K. Subban

Re: oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674249 is a reply to message #674248 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Isn't Nashville responsible for contract buyback if Webber retires before the end of the contract? Not sure how it works but think it is like that. Maybe not as bad a deal as people think. Again, not sure of the specifics. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on that

Re: oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674255 is a reply to message #674249 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 20:21 Go to previous message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

scotiaoiler wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 18:59

Isn't Nashville responsible for contract buyback if Webber retires before the end of the contract? Not sure how it works but think it is like that. Maybe not as bad a deal as people think. Again, not sure of the specifics. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on that

Yup, Nashville is in big trouble if Weber doesn't play out his contract, and the trouble gets worse the less years Weber has left on his deal if he retires:

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2016/6/29/12061696/Salary -Cap-Recapture-Montreal-Canadiens-PK-Subban-Shea-Weber-Nashv ille-Predators--Flyers-Offer-Sheet

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/fIHuur1UhZ8JpgN4LKHWKxnZqIU=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6726565/Screen_Shot_2016-06-29_at_5.20.33_PM.0.png

24.5M cap recapture penalty, lol. I think the NHL would give them some kind of break on that one if it happened.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674252 is a reply to message #674248 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

lowebudget wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 18:37

scotiaoiler wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 17:18

Well, if you're Nashville, you trade your bloated contract that is Weber for P.K. Subban

They offered 4 years at $5.5 million a year

Re: Oilers rumoured offer to Lucic [message #674253 is a reply to message #674237 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

If after getting rid of Hall to get cap space, Lucic signs somewhere else, what then? Maybe Boston? It would be like Neely and the Bruins to try and stick it to Chiarelli once again.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish?
Next Topic:Willis is Wrong
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca