Mon, 11 July 2022 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Burgeoboy wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 12:25

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 15:39

Burgeoboy wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 12:01

Adam wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 13:53

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 09:54

I wouldn't mind Giroux but I have a hard time seeing a career Eastern guy at his age coming West. Playing in the West with the additional travel is more taxing on the body. Then you factor in he literally lives in Ottawa in the offseason, I could see him signing in Ottawa or another East team.

This is a pretty terrible take. I know that the media in town have been trumpeting this for years - no one wants to come here because it's cold and dark and a lot of travel, but these players aren't moving here for life. They're probably not staying their summers in Edmonton. They're here to try to win a Cup, and they can see that we have the top two scoring players in the world and we've now got a coach who isn't stuck in the 1980s. They can see there's a possibility of winning - even moreso if we get a real goalie.

Edmonton was a destination players have wanted to come to before - and that was in the 1980s, when there was even less to do and the players were paid significantly less, so lacked the money to just fly to St. Bart's or wherever whenever they or their spouse wanted.

People have to stop taking the bogus excuses from a bunch of useless sportswriters as gospel. It never was, and it's increasingly nonsensical today. If the Edmonton Oilers management is working with this same inferiority complex that our media and some of our fans have? Well, then it's no wonder they make so many errors.

I am not saying no players want to play in Edmonton, but if you don't think it is an issue for some players your crazy. Every player is different, some only care about winning, so build a winner and they will come, no doubt. Others could care less about winning. Money, lifestyle, taxes, etc are more important when picking teams. I heard a story the other day about a player that told his agent he wanted to play in Minnesota(this was years ago) because they have lots of lakes for fishing and they never make the play offs, so longer summers), There are players that would rather be in the east, due to less travel, etc. There are for sure players that would rather play close to their families, I believe that is how we ended up with Kieth. I have no idea what Giroux's motives are this off-season, but to wonder if he would rather be out east and close to family vs in Edmonton, is a more than fair question.

Giroux literally ok’d a trade from Philly to Florida for the chance at a cup. He values winning a cup, so based on that who has a better chance at a cup in the next 1-3 years? I’ll give you a hint, it’s not Ottawa (not a Homer reasoning here just straight facts)

Going to Florida for a few months vs Edmonton for 3 to 4 years is not exactly apples to apples, Listen I want Giroux on this team and I am not saying RDOilerfan is right I hope he's not. I just don't think what he said was a crazy thought or a 'pretty terrible take", let's not act like Edmonton isn't on most no-trade list.

I think you guys have been sucking up the propaganda. During the Kevin Lowe era, we at first heard that the only reason the Oilers were unable to acquire and retain top talent was because of the economic realities that we couldn't compete with the 5-6 teams at the top of the food chain, and so New York and Toronto and everyone else could buy anyone and everyone and we were basically just a feeder system.

After the salary cap was in place, the Oilers narrative shifted and it's that we're too remote, too cold, too dark, not cosmopolitan enough, wives don't want to live here, travel is too hard, taxes are too much, most people weren't born here, etc.

The reality is that this wasn't really something you'd find people talking about pre-2007, but the fact is, the wheels fell off when Pronger left, and Lowe never managed to get them on again. The team has been terrible for ever after. Even so, the Oilers never struggled to get free agents to come here:

2006: Even with Pronger leaving and half our team UFAs of which only Roloson and Pisani re-signed, Petr Sykora chose Edmonton. That despite him playing virtually his whole career to that point in the East.

2007: First Thomas Vanek and then Dustin Penner signed RFA deals in Edmonton. Sheldon Souray signed as a UFA after playing only in the East.

2009: Nik Khabibulin chose Edmonton. Mike Comrie decided to come back too.

2011: The Oilers went on a signing spree of veteran players getting all of Eager, Hordichuk, Barker and Belanger. Yes, all were not great here - but they still chose to come to Edmonton and all would have had other options at that time.

2012: Sought by virtually everyone in the league, Justin Schultz chose Edmonton.

2013: Veterans Boyd Gordon, Andrew Ference and Jason LaBarbera signed here.

2014: Mark Fayne, Nikita Nikitin, Benoit Pouliot signed.

2015: Andrej Sekera signed a long deal here that the Oilers are still paying off.

2016: Milan Lucic, Jonas Gustavsson, Mark Fraser came to the Oilers by way of free agency.

2018: Boomerang day as Tobias Rieder and Kyle Brodziak sign back on.

2019: Alex Chiasson, Mike Smith join up.

2020: Kyle Turris signs.

2021: Zach Hyman, after spending his whole career in the east, picks Edmonton. Derek Ryan chooses Edmonton. And mid-season, Evander Kane does the same.

So during the darkest period of our franchise history, we were actually still able to attract a lot of veteran players to the team. In virtually none of those years were the Oilers considered a true contender even, and yet guys like Souray and Sekera and Sykora and Lucic chose to come here over other places.

I agree, there will be some players who have specific reasons to go one place or another, but on the whole, I don't believe that there's a massive amount of the NHL who wouldn't come here, or that just because someone has played in the Eastern conference most of their career, or were born in the GTA or Quebec or Slovakia, that they aren't going to see Edmonton as an option.

Not now, when the team includes some of the most exciting players in the game and they just had a lengthy Cup run, followed by not really losing anyone that matters from that squad. Hopefully the management understands that there's a big difference from the 2009 or 2014 Edmonton Oilers and 2022 Edmonton Oilers. Hopefully they understand that you have to sell the upside, not rely on excuses about why players might choose to go somewhere else.

This is of course one of the reasons I think the Oilers need to make more of an effort to make players feel welcome. This is one of the reasons I was disappointed when they fired their Player Concierge after just one or two seasons to save her $50K salary. Signing a player isn't just about numbers and cap management and comparables...it's also a marketing exercise, and the team should be selling hard the reasons why a player SHOULD choose here. And honestly, guys like Lowe who've decided to live their whole lives in the community should be able to explain to people while there's a lot to like here.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810328 is a reply to message #810276 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burgeoboy  is currently offline Burgeoboy

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 18:48

Burgeoboy wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 12:25

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 15:39

Burgeoboy wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 12:01

Adam wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 13:53

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 09:54

I wouldn't mind Giroux but I have a hard time seeing a career Eastern guy at his age coming West. Playing in the West with the additional travel is more taxing on the body. Then you factor in he literally lives in Ottawa in the offseason, I could see him signing in Ottawa or another East team.

This is a pretty terrible take. I know that the media in town have been trumpeting this for years - no one wants to come here because it's cold and dark and a lot of travel, but these players aren't moving here for life. They're probably not staying their summers in Edmonton. They're here to try to win a Cup, and they can see that we have the top two scoring players in the world and we've now got a coach who isn't stuck in the 1980s. They can see there's a possibility of winning - even moreso if we get a real goalie.

Edmonton was a destination players have wanted to come to before - and that was in the 1980s, when there was even less to do and the players were paid significantly less, so lacked the money to just fly to St. Bart's or wherever whenever they or their spouse wanted.

People have to stop taking the bogus excuses from a bunch of useless sportswriters as gospel. It never was, and it's increasingly nonsensical today. If the Edmonton Oilers management is working with this same inferiority complex that our media and some of our fans have? Well, then it's no wonder they make so many errors.

I am not saying no players want to play in Edmonton, but if you don't think it is an issue for some players your crazy. Every player is different, some only care about winning, so build a winner and they will come, no doubt. Others could care less about winning. Money, lifestyle, taxes, etc are more important when picking teams. I heard a story the other day about a player that told his agent he wanted to play in Minnesota(this was years ago) because they have lots of lakes for fishing and they never make the play offs, so longer summers), There are players that would rather be in the east, due to less travel, etc. There are for sure players that would rather play close to their families, I believe that is how we ended up with Kieth. I have no idea what Giroux's motives are this off-season, but to wonder if he would rather be out east and close to family vs in Edmonton, is a more than fair question.

Giroux literally ok’d a trade from Philly to Florida for the chance at a cup. He values winning a cup, so based on that who has a better chance at a cup in the next 1-3 years? I’ll give you a hint, it’s not Ottawa (not a Homer reasoning here just straight facts)

Going to Florida for a few months vs Edmonton for 3 to 4 years is not exactly apples to apples, Listen I want Giroux on this team and I am not saying RDOilerfan is right I hope he's not. I just don't think what he said was a crazy thought or a 'pretty terrible take", let's not act like Edmonton isn't on most no-trade list.

I think you guys have been sucking up the propaganda. During the Kevin Lowe era, we at first heard that the only reason the Oilers were unable to acquire and retain top talent was because of the economic realities that we couldn't compete with the 5-6 teams at the top of the food chain, and so New York and Toronto and everyone else could buy anyone and everyone and we were basically just a feeder system.

After the salary cap was in place, the Oilers narrative shifted and it's that we're too remote, too cold, too dark, not cosmopolitan enough, wives don't want to live here, travel is too hard, taxes are too much, most people weren't born here, etc.

The reality is that this wasn't really something you'd find people talking about pre-2007, but the fact is, the wheels fell off when Pronger left, and Lowe never managed to get them on again. The team has been terrible for ever after. Even so, the Oilers never struggled to get free agents to come here:

2006: Even with Pronger leaving and half our team UFAs of which only Roloson and Pisani re-signed, Petr Sykora chose Edmonton. That despite him playing virtually his whole career to that point in the East.

2007: First Thomas Vanek and then Dustin Penner signed RFA deals in Edmonton. Sheldon Souray signed as a UFA after playing only in the East.

2009: Nik Khabibulin chose Edmonton. Mike Comrie decided to come back too.

2011: The Oilers went on a signing spree of veteran players getting all of Eager, Hordichuk, Barker and Belanger. Yes, all were not great here - but they still chose to come to Edmonton and all would have had other options at that time.

2012: Sought by virtually everyone in the league, Justin Schultz chose Edmonton.

2013: Veterans Boyd Gordon, Andrew Ference and Jason LaBarbera signed here.

2014: Mark Fayne, Nikita Nikitin, Benoit Pouliot signed.

2015: Andrej Sekera signed a long deal here that the Oilers are still paying off.

2016: Milan Lucic, Jonas Gustavsson, Mark Fraser came to the Oilers by way of free agency.

2018: Boomerang day as Tobias Rieder and Kyle Brodziak sign back on.

2019: Alex Chiasson, Mike Smith join up.

2020: Kyle Turris signs.

2021: Zach Hyman, after spending his whole career in the east, picks Edmonton. Derek Ryan chooses Edmonton. And mid-season, Evander Kane does the same.

So during the darkest period of our franchise history, we were actually still able to attract a lot of veteran players to the team. In virtually none of those years were the Oilers considered a true contender even, and yet guys like Souray and Sekera and Sykora and Lucic chose to come here over other places.

I agree, there will be some players who have specific reasons to go one place or another, but on the whole, I don't believe that there's a massive amount of the NHL who wouldn't come here, or that just because someone has played in the Eastern conference most of their career, or were born in the GTA or Quebec or Slovakia, that they aren't going to see Edmonton as an option.

Not now, when the team includes some of the most exciting players in the game and they just had a lengthy Cup run, followed by not really losing anyone that matters from that squad. Hopefully the management understands that there's a big difference from the 2009 or 2014 Edmonton Oilers and 2022 Edmonton Oilers. Hopefully they understand that you have to sell the upside, not rely on excuses about why players might choose to go somewhere else.

This is of course one of the reasons I think the Oilers need to make more of an effort to make players feel welcome. This is one of the reasons I was disappointed when they fired their Player Concierge after just one or two seasons to save her $50K salary. Signing a player isn't just about numbers and cap management and comparables...it's also a marketing exercise, and the team should be selling hard the reasons why a player SHOULD choose here. And honestly, guys like Lowe who've decided to live their whole lives in the community should be able to explain to people while there's a lot to like here.

I am not sucking up propaganda, I just think Edmonton is not one of the most desired locations in the NHL. I'd say we are in the bottom 3rd of the league, in a 32-team league, I think it fair to say most players with a 10-team no-trade list have Edmonton on it, that doesn't mean they wouldn't wave it to play there, but it does say something.

I also believe that a big reason for that is how bad we were for so long and that winning can change that, but I also don't think one WCF makes it all go away either. As I stated before, different players value different things, there are no doubt some that would have Edmonton high on their list, and some will go to the highest bidder regardless of location (how many of the guys above came here at a discount?).

In Giroux's case if not for the reason RDOilersfan listed, then I would agree Edmonton most likely would have the edge over Ottawa, a lot of the reasons people wouldn't come here also apply to them, (Canadian market, weather etc..) and maybe we do even given the facts he laid out, I certainly hope that's the case, but to call him out like what he said was out of this world, is a bit much.

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810305 is a reply to message #808580 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

Kipper saying the Oilers offer to Kane is 3 years, just under $5 million/yr. Little wonder that Kane didn't race in to sign that.

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810338 is a reply to message #808580 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

May see Kane resign this evening, call this afternoon and Oilers offering more term.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810340 is a reply to message #810338 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 10:09

May see Kane resign this evening, call this afternoon and Oilers offering more term.

puke puke puke

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810341 is a reply to message #810338 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

It's unbelievable that backroom play by play like this is available on the internet.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810343 is a reply to message #810341 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 10:10

It's unbelievable that backroom play by play like this is available on the internet.

Buy a guy enough Popeyes chicken nuggets and you get some info

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810345 is a reply to message #810343 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 10:20

I'd demand strips and the odd sandwich but I guess we all have our price. Oddly, I'm a big fan of their rice and beans side. Don't know why.

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810346 is a reply to message #810345 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

you know what, KFC's pasta salad doesn't get enough credit. beans and rice can suck it.

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810349 is a reply to message #810346 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Never had Popeyes Nugs.

I’m exclusive to McD’s. If that Oilers gossip currency then consider me switched.

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810351 is a reply to message #810349 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 12:04

Never had Popeyes Nugs.

I’m exclusive to McD’s. If that Oilers gossip currency then consider me switched.

Popeyes bugs are legit. And the blackened ranch is the go to dip.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810352 is a reply to message #810345 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 10:35

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 10:20

I'd demand strips and the odd sandwich but I guess we all have our price. Oddly, I'm a big fan of their rice and beans side. Don't know why.

I haven’t had their ride and beans! Will have to give’m a try

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810355 is a reply to message #810338 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Hearing 4.75M x 3 years according to Nermal and Wade the Duck.

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810357 is a reply to message #810355 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 13:33

Nermal is low and Wade is swimming in the wrong pond.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810396 is a reply to message #810357 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 13:59

Nermal is low and Wade is swimming in the wrong pond.

Wade the duck is solid. Always trust a guy who has a swimming tube that matches their facial expression

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810358 is a reply to message #810355 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

That would be a great deal. Nobody has been nearly as successful with McD.

I would be very Oilers tho if they re-signed him, then an arbitrator determined he had to go back to San Jose.

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810359 is a reply to message #810358 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 14:06

That would be a great deal. Nobody has been nearly as successful with McD.

I would be very Oilers tho if they re-signed him, then an arbitrator determined he had to go back to San Jose.

"The Oilers have to trade a 2nd and 3rd to acquire the right to hold Kane's contract"

Sounds right.

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810365 is a reply to message #810355 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Wait. Is Holland also Kane’s agent?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810381 is a reply to message #810365 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 16:54

Yeah, Chad Holland. The long lost twin brother of Brad.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810426 is a reply to message #810381 ]
Wed, 13 July 2022 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 19:22

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 16:54

Yeah, Chad Holland. The long lost twin brother of Brad.

Solid work by Ken, Brad and Chad in the end.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810400 is a reply to message #808580 ]
Tue, 12 July 2022 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

1 Cup

Resigned 4 x 5.1

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Don't Sign Evander Kane [message #810467 is a reply to message #810400 ]
Wed, 13 July 2022 11:14 Go to previous message

No Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Tue, 12 July 2022 23:58

Resigned 4 x 5.1

Only missed by a quarter million and a year. Not bad for pulling it out of my ass lol.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]  
Previous Topic:Mason Marchment
Next Topic:Goalie possibilities
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca