F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 I Think You Can... [message #500260 is a reply to message #500258 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTR17  is currently offline BTR17

No Cups

...start looking critically at Cogliano's game in year 3 of his entry level deal.

What we're seeing is a perimeter player who is ill-suited to the C position. He's a winger, and it amazes that the organization hasn't identified that to this point.

Are there bigger issues on the club? Absolutely. Thankfully, his salary doesn't have the negative impact like other non-performers. But the writing is on the wall, I believe, for 13 in Edmonton.

They'll go in another direction, and rightfully so.

"The Oilers are playing like they'd rather die than lose."

Mike Emerick, on-air, after the Game 3 win over Anaheim in the 2006 Western Conference Final.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: I Think You Can... [message #500275 is a reply to message #500260 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nickxero  is currently offline nickxero

No Cups

BTR17 wrote on Sat, 31 October 2009 18:11

...start looking critically at Cogliano's game in year 3 of his entry level deal.

What we're seeing is a perimeter player who is ill-suited to the C position. He's a winger, and it amazes that the organization hasn't identified that to this point.

Are there bigger issues on the club? Absolutely. Thankfully, his salary doesn't have the negative impact like other non-performers. But the writing is on the wall, I believe, for 13 in Edmonton.

They'll go in another direction, and rightfully so.

I couldn't agree more. Very well put. Even if he does have the talent that some think he does, it's not likely to come out the way he's being used here. We need to use the momentum of him being included in the nixed Heatley deal... hopefully before game 20.

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable." -Conn Smythe

Re: I Think You Can... [message #500277 is a reply to message #500275 ]
Sun, 01 November 2009 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

Jesus! You people should be glad he is under performing a bit. He will be a very good player. If this allows us to sign him to a cheaper deal this summer I dont mind.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Baba... [message #500279 is a reply to message #500277 ]
Sun, 01 November 2009 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

this sorta logic is infantile, at best.

In the meantime, the Oilers have a blueliner who's bein' exposed nightly and whose +/- total get's worse by the game?

I just think right now, the NHL isn't the place for him.

Fair enough?

Re: So, Now Can... [message #500274 is a reply to message #500258 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nickxero  is currently offline nickxero

No Cups

I posted this in the Detroit review thread but it warrants saying again...

Peckham. Last year he was solid, never took too many chances but never made many bad decisions either.

He screwed up his ankle in camp... does he have nerves because of the injury/not expecting to be called so early in the year?

Is he playing catch-up, still nursing an injury or is he a total lost cause?

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable." -Conn Smythe

Re: So, Now Can... [message #500256 is a reply to message #500247 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jadrain  is currently offline jadrain

No Cups

BTR17 wrote on Sat, 31 October 2009 15:06

Bobby Nilsson. Working quite hard actually, but is completely outmatched physically. Don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for this kid. What you see is what you get, and it's not good enough. Will never take the leap into effectiveness, IMO.

I'm beginning to come around to this point of view. When the confidence was working (last spotted season before last) he can stir the pot a bit. There was a period two years ago when it looked like he was going to figure it out enough to be a legit 60-odd point second liner. I mean, hence the contract.

But at this point, I don't think he's won a battle for the puck in the offense zone at all this season. If he doesn't have room, the play is dead. If he's checked, the play dies. It's just automatic. That line just can't cycle right now because Nilsson can't win a one on one battle, and that was a huge part of their game down the stretch in 2008.

I don't have a clue if the light will ever really go on for him. He was a fairly effective player for several different stretches of the 2007-2008 season, but there's really been no sign since. When he was playing well, he looked a little like Hemsky the way he made things happen. There's just been no sign of it, and he brings absolutely nothing else to the table.

That whole line though... [message #500257 is a reply to message #500256 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

has challenges winning back possession of the puck, eh?

If they're not playing outta-this-world smart and incredibly efficient with the scoring chances?

Get used to the minuses.

It's Not The Work Ethic... [message #500259 is a reply to message #500256 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTR17  is currently offline BTR17

No Cups

...which I think is pretty honest from night to night.

He does have some ability - his skating ability is far ahead of former suspect, Rob Schremp, for instance. He's got some useful attributes. But just not sure he'll be able to tie it all together.

As you say, he hasn't been effective for more than an odd shift at a time since 2007-2008.

I think he'll be phased out as soon as Tambo is able.

And I have to think Tambo feels the same way about Cogliano. Next stop for that kid - the Toronto Maple Leafs, IMO.

The 'who do we keep and how much do we pay' debate between Gags and Cogs has been settled, I'd say. I never thought Cogliano was long for Edmonton - regardless of his level of play.

"The Oilers are playing like they'd rather die than lose."

Mike Emerick, on-air, after the Game 3 win over Anaheim in the 2006 Western Conference Final.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500251 is a reply to message #500222 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

I've given them a couple free passes this season already, but not today. That was absolutely pathetic.

Putrid hockey on the part of the Oilers. Watching this game made me want to take a sledgehammer to my plasma.

[Updated on: Sat, 31 October 2009 15:47]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500272 is a reply to message #500222 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Regarding Peckham, the arguments I'm hearing remind me a LOT about what was said about Matt Greene (slow foot speed and bad penalties). When Greene first was here, he had some rough growing pains. Now everyone wants him back because he's exactly the type of defenseman the Oilers need. Peckham is young, but he reminds me a lot of him. He needs to be playing in the AHL, but I think its premature to say that his footspeed can't or won't improve and that he is incapable of playing in the NHL. Last year he looked ready for a regular spot. This year, not so much. But I don't think its unrealistic to think he will be a fixture on the Oilers blueline in a few years.

As for Cogliano, I think the biggest problem is that he doesn't really have a clearly defined role on the team. One game he is playing as a winger on the second line and the next he's a fourth line center. Sometimes they want him to play offense and group him with Gagner/Penner/etc. and the next night he's with Moreau/Pisani/MacIntyre. I feel like he doesn't have a defined role on the team, and until that happens, I think we can expect him to continue to look confused. Maybe that's enough reason to trade him. But personally, I'm not really in favor of trading him just yet. He's only 22, and he has contributed a fair bit to the club in his first two seasons.

Agree with you all about Nilsson though. I think his time here is done. There is just not room or cap space to keep him here.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500273 is a reply to message #500272 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Peckham has looked really bad. But he also did miss the start of the season with an injury and so is already starting behind the curve. I agree he should stick it out in the AHL until he matures. The only reason he's here is because Souray, Visnovsky, Staios are all out.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500313 is a reply to message #500273 ]
Sun, 01 November 2009 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 31 October 2009 21:47

Peckham has looked really bad. But he also did miss the start of the season with an injury and so is already starting behind the curve. I agree he should stick it out in the AHL until he matures. The only reason he's here is because Souray, Visnovsky, Staios are all out.

Agreed. It's too bad as Peckham (and to a lesser extent Moreau) has been pressed into service before he was fully healed. He should be punishing AHL players instead of being schooled by NHL'ers.

And speaking of Moreau, my buddy gave him a new name...Captain Visor.

It's too bad but he is totally uneffective, even in a checking role. My oh my it seems him and Staios (when playing) are not in the same league as the rest of the NHL.

As someone else mentioned before, the modus operandi against our D is pretty simple...Pressure Pressure Pressure...

why is it after bringing in a different coach, different gameplan, that we still get hemmed in? Is it a problem with not enough skill, no real counter attack to the forecheck, or guys going back to their old ways under MacT?

Quinn made a comment that " when they (opposing team) starts playing the trap, we become individuals and that plays right into their scheme" or something to that affect. is it a case of the players not comfortable with what the coaches draw up?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500346 is a reply to message #500313 ]
Mon, 02 November 2009 11:02 Go to previous message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

We are way to easy to play against and lack offense. Trades will have to be made as we seem unable to adapt with our current roster even considering the injuries. Looks to me like Gilbert, Cogs and Nilson are the most expendable at this point. Lets see if it stays that way.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Islanders (Game #15)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca