This day on May 19
None

Happy Birthday To: Mooo, choirvandal, Drayden18, caLLshot, oilnut, Goose, Amanican, Fridge01, brandonoilfan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779306 is a reply to message #779305 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:48

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:04

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 12:40

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:35

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:12

If a person is big on putting young players in positions to succeed, I don't see how putting a rookie on his offside does that. Vets struggle to do it but yet you expect a rookie too.

I don't know how you sell benching your teams best PK and best defending dman who's been playing excellent and been helping your team win most of your games in Larsson to McD or Leon and tell them you are doing it because you are serious about winning.

To get Bouchard in, I would probably rotate him and Bear.

I dont read Oilers blogs or listen to TSN radio. I do listen to NHL radio as it covers the whole league and tends to be higher quality and less biased. I only mention this as I dont know about all the bloggers you mentioned in your first post (I only trimmed this for size)

I agree that you cant just put Bouchard in just for the sake of it. I also agree that shoehorning him in to his offhand side might be a recipe for disaster. (although he has apparently played there for long stretches before and is quite comfortable)
I also agree that I think he should be rotating in with Bear. Dont make it a "screw up and you are sitting" scenario. Have a convo with both. Discuss a plan and stick with it for a ten game stretch or so. Evaluate then. Create a new plan. If one emerges skew it to that player.

If they arent going to do that, the biggest thing for me is Bouchard needs to play hockey. If they cant come up with some way for him to do so in the NHL they need just send him to the Condors and call him up 3 weeks before the playoffs (fingers crossed) so he can quarantine and get back on the ice just in case he is needed for them.

Sitting and watching hockey for weeks at a time does not help the team, doesnt help the player and wont make it any different next year than this year. By that I mean he wont have any more NHL experience of off hand experience that will make him any more than he is right now.

I’ll betcha right now that Bouchard plays tomorrow night in Vancouver

The only issue is who goes on the PK if you swap out Bear. I am not in favor of having Russell in for Jones so that leaves you with having to play either Barrie or Bouchard or another left shot in Jones. I do not know if Jones is very good on the PK, I don't think putting a rookie on the PK is the right call. Let him worry about just defending 5 on 5 first before you put that on him so by default, I guess Barrie.

Jones will be fine on the PK. Rookie defencemen play PK on other teams too. We don't need to dress plugs to be on the PK - that's a fallacy. Puck movers are probably better to have because they're less likely to just ring the boards if they come across a loose puck and will rather thread the needle and get the puck out of the zone. Some of the best PKers we've had have been puck-moving defencemen.

It's not like you're throwing a lot of hits on the PK anyhow. You're not allowed to play Derian Hatcher and pummel the guy in front of the net as you once were. You need to be able to retrieve pucks whenever you can, get in passing lanes, disrupt the powerplay and exit the puck. That need not be a Russell or Larsson type.

You won't get an argument with me about Russell. But if you are going to say Larsson deserves to sit for Bouchard, then no offense but you are either saying that to get a rise out of people or you don't know what you are talking about. You still have to have some guys in your line up to defend. Pick out whichever team you want who you deem have a good defense and they have guys who's job is just defend. Larsson has been great, I don't know why anyone would want to take him out.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2021 14:04]

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29)
By: OilFans on Fri, 12 March 2021 02:00
Read Message Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29)
By: Oscargasm on Fri, 12 March 2021 09:26
By: twilson1111 on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:06
By: Oscargasm on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:09
By: CrusaderPi on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:18
By: Ragnarok73 on Fri, 12 March 2021 09:27
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 12 March 2021 09:38
By: NetBOG on Fri, 12 March 2021 09:38
By: Adam on Fri, 12 March 2021 11:29
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 12 March 2021 11:46
By: Oscargasm on Fri, 12 March 2021 11:56
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 12 March 2021 12:01
By: Adam on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:45
By: Oscargasm on Fri, 12 March 2021 10:55
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 12 March 2021 11:27
By: Adam on Fri, 12 March 2021 12:01
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 12 March 2021 12:12
By: PlusOne on Fri, 12 March 2021 12:35
By: Oscargasm on Fri, 12 March 2021 12:40
By: PlusOne on Fri, 12 March 2021 12:57
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:04
By: Adam on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:48
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:58
By: Kr55 on Fri, 12 March 2021 14:01
By: Pseudoreality on Fri, 12 March 2021 16:42
By: sinfulchimp306 on Fri, 12 March 2021 18:41

Previous Topic:Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #28)
Next Topic:Review: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #28)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca