This day on November 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Hemskoreson, rb213, oilbaron1980, anjoo, MikeBro

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers at Jets Expected Lineup 9/23/18Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers at Jets Expected Lineup 9/23/18 [message #718945 is a reply to message #718938 ]
Mon, 24 September 2018 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

I honestly wouldn't have had much problem if Montoya was given the back-up role. He's had 3 years in the past 5 above .910. He's had 2 years below .900. I imagine that volatility is pretty typical for a backup goalie. It's a strange position, because anybody who is consistently good would be getting a starting job.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers at Jets Expected Lineup 9/23/18 [message #718937 is a reply to message #718932 ]
Mon, 24 September 2018 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 24 September 2018 09:17

I don't have patience for Koskinen.. I've seen enough to say he isn't good enough to push Talbot.

I hope it's a hot take, but he has proved to be a challenge to get behind. 1 great save.. the rest? Soft.

I am not overly confident in Koskinen either but that is why I give him another start over Montoya. They have to find out.

Re: Oilers at Jets Expected Lineup 9/23/18 [message #718951 is a reply to message #718905 ]
Mon, 24 September 2018 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

I thought a decent first period from the Oilers bottom 6/AHL/prospects, but then reality set in as the Jets' top line got it going.

Koskinen can't be blamed for most of what went behind him, but you need a stop or two out of those. He looked less awkward than his first start.

JP looks like he could take a step forward this year, taking the initiative on a lot of plays out there. Yamamoto is going to be a very late decision, did pretty well out there against the likes of Myers and Buff. Have to see more of Tobias Rieder, but didn't stand out last night.

The young guys are winning the battles for 6/7 D. I don't think you want any of the 3 young Oilers' D as a PB #7 D at this stage. Gravel sent to Bakersfield already, I thought Gravel has been better than Jerabek.....Garrison isn't going to be around for long. Bear, Bouchard, and Jones have been better than these 3.

If the season starts today, should Bear make the team? I would think so. Has Jerabek earned even a #7 spot? Not likely, but his 1 way says otherwise. Do they keep Bouchard around for his 9 starts? Probably. Hard to see how this would play out with numbers on the roster in the opening games of the season.

The silver lining here is that some young defensive prospects are at some point going to move some guys like Benning and Russell down the depth chart, as early as next year.

Re: Oilers at Jets Expected Lineup 9/23/18 [message #718955 is a reply to message #718951 ]
Mon, 24 September 2018 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 24 September 2018 10:22

I thought a decent first period from the Oilers bottom 6/AHL/prospects, but then reality set in as the Jets' top line got it going.

Koskinen can't be blamed for most of what went behind him, but you need a stop or two out of those. He looked less awkward than his first start.

JP looks like he could take a step forward this year, taking the initiative on a lot of plays out there. Yamamoto is going to be a very late decision, did pretty well out there against the likes of Myers and Buff. Have to see more of Tobias Rieder, but didn't stand out last night.

The young guys are winning the battles for 6/7 D. I don't think you want any of the 3 young Oilers' D as a PB #7 D at this stage. Gravel sent to Bakersfield already, I thought Gravel has been better than Jerabek.....Garrison isn't going to be around for long. Bear, Bouchard, and Jones have been better than these 3.

If the season starts today, should Bear make the team? I would think so. Has Jerabek earned even a #7 spot? Not likely, but his 1 way says otherwise. Do they keep Bouchard around for his 9 starts? Probably. Hard to see how this would play out with numbers on the roster in the opening games of the season.

The silver lining here is that some young defensive prospects are at some point going to move some guys like Benning and Russell down the depth chart, as early as next year.

Agree, Jerabek has so far looked like another bad bet.. time to evaluate Oiler scouting.. again..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers at Jets Expected Lineup 9/23/18 [message #718964 is a reply to message #718955 ]
Mon, 24 September 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 24 September 2018 11:58

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 24 September 2018 10:22

Agree, Jerabek has so far looked like another bad bet.. time to evaluate Oiler scouting.. again..

I don't disagree one bit that the Oilers scouting hasn't been great but Sekera blew out his achilles August 14th, who saw that coming and at August 14th, there isn't much left.

Re: Oilers at Jets Expected Lineup 9/23/18 [message #718966 is a reply to message #718955 ]
Mon, 24 September 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Meh - it's pre-season. I'll save judgement until I see him play in games that matter.

I'm a believer that almost no one should "win" spots in camp. You should have figured out your depth chart in the summer based on a lot of history on these players, not watching how they play against scrubs or coasting veterans over a couple weeks in September.

If the Oilers believed Jerabek was a Top-7 defenceman when they signed him, then it should take an awful lot to change their mind on that.

Certainly, all the stats you can find on Jerabek and Gravel suggest that Jerabek is more likely to be a positive contributor than Gravel.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Oilers at Jets Expected Lineup 9/23/18 [message #718973 is a reply to message #718966 ]
Mon, 24 September 2018 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 September 2018 13:00

Meh - it's pre-season. I'll save judgement until I see him play in games that matter.

I'm a believer that almost no one should "win" spots in camp. You should have figured out your depth chart in the summer based on a lot of history on these players, not watching how they play against scrubs or coasting veterans over a couple weeks in September.

If the Oilers believed Jerabek was a Top-7 defenceman when they signed him, then it should take an awful lot to change their mind on that.

Certainly, all the stats you can find on Jerabek and Gravel suggest that Jerabek is more likely to be a positive contributor than Gravel.

Can something similar be applied to Koskinen/Montoya as well?

Re: Oilers at Jets Expected Lineup 9/23/18 [message #718976 is a reply to message #718973 ]
Mon, 24 September 2018 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 24 September 2018 16:45

Possibly. We will see. You would think scrub rosters and coasting Vet's would help goalies but they could be on cruise control too. My Koskinen concerns are more about his track record than about his first two games.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Oilers at Jets Expected Lineup 9/23/18 [message #718977 is a reply to message #718976 ]
Mon, 24 September 2018 18:59 Go to previous message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 September 2018 17:26

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 24 September 2018 16:45

Possibly. We will see. You would think scrub rosters and coasting Vet's would help goalies but they could be on cruise control too. My Koskinen concerns are more about his track record than about his first two games.

Yeah, certainly the spotlight is on the goaltender if they drop a steamer of a performance, a 6/7 D will cost you some chances against but their mistakes don't always go in. I wonder what about Koskinen would lead anyone to believe that he's 1.5 million better than Joe Schmo as a 15-20 game backup. Hopefully we might see something, anything in that regard prior to the season getting started.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Preseason: Oilers lineup VS Canucks Sept 25th
Next Topic:Jets at Oilers expected lineups 9/20/18
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca