This day on August 11
Acquired: Petr Sykora (2006)
Departed: Daniel Lacroix (1999) Dean Arsene (2010)

Happy Birthday To: Phenom89, juju+sno, oilers99dan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Minors » 2018 Memorial Cup
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 2018 Memorial Cup [message #714911]
Wed, 23 May 2018 23:20 Go to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

I'll start this thread because I don't want to fully derail the Stuart Skinner one.

The end of the Regina-Swift Current game was just bonkers. 5 minutes left, Regina is up by 2. Swift Current scores to get it within one and almost immediately takes a too many men penalty with about 2:20 left. Regina should just play keep away for 2 minutes, but instead score with about 1:30 left. Swift Current pulls back within 1 with 0:45 left. With 5 seconds left, Regina clears the zone and all their players throw their hands up in victory. Swift Current guy then spins and fires from the neutral zone scoring with 0.1 seconds left, but since some of their players hadn't cleared the zone, the refs waived it off.

I didn't even know you couldn't score with a shot from the neutral zone on a delayed offside. I guess I still have things to learn.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2018 Memorial Cup [message #714981 is a reply to message #714911 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Watched all of the highlights, haven't caught a game yet.

Hebig looks pretty damn good. Skinner had a tremendous game against Hamilton and looked pretty bad against Regina. Would love to see him simmer in the ECHL and AHL in the next few years.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: 2018 Memorial Cup [message #714982 is a reply to message #714911 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

I have been able to go to a couple games, here are some general impressions*;
- Hebig; looks good. Seems to have good hockey IQ which will be his biggest benefit when he turns pro. Seems to be a step behind at times but to the previous point it doesnt hurt him that much but keeps him from being a star.
- Skinner; Weird goalie. One game he looks like an NHL vet. Poised, steady and never out of position. The next he looks like it is his first game in pads. He is a big kid who relies on being in the right spot to make saves. If he cant get across in time or gets out of position he struggles to recover.
- Noah Dobson; I am not sure what it is but I am not as big on him as others after seeing him live. I feel like if he wasnt big and right handed he would be ranked 10-15 spots lower for the draft. With that out of the way he does have some raw skills that make him impressive at times. I am not saying heis the next Karlsson by any means but he reminds me of a young version. Skates well, never scared to jump into the play and often makes good choices with the puck. There were a couple times in the Hamilton game, which wasn't very physical, where a post whistle scrum happened and he seemed disinterested.
- Darnell's cousin, Isaac plays for Hamilton. Small guy, I would guess under 6 feet, but plays with an edge. Forechecks hard and always seems to be in the middle of something going on. always around the puck. He will have a tough hill to climb with his size and lack of elite skill but might be one to watch as a long term prospect.

*disclaimer, I am not a pro scout...

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2018 Memorial Cup [message #715012 is a reply to message #714911 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 23:13 Go to previous message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Regina defeats Hamilton in the semi-final, so it will be Regina vs Acadie-Bathurst on Sunday

Hebig got crushed with a big hit, but I think he's fine.

Previous Topic:2018 NHL Entry Draft...
Next Topic:World Championships 2018
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca