F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » McDavid and Drai ExtensionsPages (6): [1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685942]
Thu, 26 January 2017 08:20 Go to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

So they were talking about the McDavid and Drai contract during the second intermission. Curious what everyone else thinks they will get.

My Guess is that they give Drai the standard $6M 6 years. McDavid there is no way, if I am the oilers that I am not coming to his front door with everything that they are allowed to give him. 8 years and what ever the league max is ($12M)

Thoughts?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685943 is a reply to message #685942 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

sloiler wrote on Thu, 26 January 2017 09:20

So they were talking about the McDavid and Drai contract during the second intermission. Curious what everyone else thinks they will get.

My Guess is that they give Drai the standard $6M 6 years. McDavid there is no way, if I am the oilers that I am not coming to his front door with everything that they are allowed to give him. 8 years and what ever the league max is ($12M)

Thoughts?

The easy guess for Drai is 6 X 6.

For McDavid he seems to care about winning more than anything. I dont believe in home town discounts just for the sake of it but I hope he sees a better future by taking less than max salary knowing it means keeping/adding pieces that will help the team overall.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685945 is a reply to message #685943 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

2 Cups

Drai should be 6x6
If it takes 12M/year to get McDavid for the 8 year max, get it done. There will be some strained nerves if the deal comes in at anything less than 7 years though.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685947 is a reply to message #685945 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Drai: I would assume he asks for more then the $6M over 6. But maybe he takes that or you can try a bit more over 8.

McDavid: 9.7M X 8 years

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685948 is a reply to message #685943 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

2 Cups

I think Drai gets similar to Scheifele money and you'd be very happy with that.

With McDavid. I think McDavid is smart like Crosby in that he knows his NHL salary is just his walking around money. He's going to make WAY more money in endorsements. He's going to make that endorsement money in whatever City he is in because he's that good. If you look at all the commercials McDavid is on already, being in Edmonton doesn't seem to hurt him. Plus I have the feeling that while playing on the Leafs would be cool to him, being on the Oilers, playing on the team where the best player ever played on, having Gretzky now being part of the team and then hopefully winning in Edmonton means a hell of a lot to him. I could see him signing a deal taking technically "less" to keep a team competitive.

Sign him for 6 mill per season then have Katz have him come over to his house in the summer for a private stick handling less. 10 mill for for 10 mins. DONE!! icon_lol

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686172 is a reply to message #685948 ]
Sun, 29 January 2017 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 26 January 2017 09:41

With McDavid. I think McDavid is smart like Crosby in that he knows his NHL salary is just his walking around money. He's going to make WAY more money in endorsements. He's going to make that endorsement money in whatever City he is in because he's that good.

I am really curious how much he ends up making in endorsements. Traditionally hockey endorsements are worth pennies compared to other sports,
Many of the deals don't have dollar values attached to them so it is tough to say but I remember hearing recently that Crosby makes less than 5/year in total endorsements which really surprised me.
Not disagreeing with you that when you are the top guy you make a lot extra but I don't think it will be more than his salary.

I do wonder how much that plays into a players mentality on their contract though. do they see it as two separate "jobs" and they should be paid for both at current market value or as you say, see it is total income?
How many actually care about the good of the team in contract negotiations? I am sure there are some that do but many more that want as much as they can get.

As a fan I hope McDavid signs for as little as possible but I fear it just wont happen in the end.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686214 is a reply to message #686172 ]
Mon, 30 January 2017 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 29 January 2017 05:06

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 26 January 2017 09:41

With McDavid. I think McDavid is smart like Crosby in that he knows his NHL salary is just his walking around money. He's going to make WAY more money in endorsements. He's going to make that endorsement money in whatever City he is in because he's that good.

I am really curious how much he ends up making in endorsements. Traditionally hockey endorsements are worth pennies compared to other sports,
Many of the deals don't have dollar values attached to them so it is tough to say but I remember hearing recently that Crosby makes less than 5/year in total endorsements which really surprised me.
Not disagreeing with you that when you are the top guy you make a lot extra but I don't think it will be more than his salary.

I do wonder how much that plays into a players mentality on their contract though. do they see it as two separate "jobs" and they should be paid for both at current market value or as you say, see it is total income?
How many actually care about the good of the team in contract negotiations? I am sure there are some that do but many more that want as much as they can get.

As a fan I hope McDavid signs for as little as possible but I fear it just wont happen in the end.

I'm actually shocked McDavid hasn't done McDonald's commercial yet, his agent should be all over that.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685949 is a reply to message #685942 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Draisaitl will be around $6.5 per season...If it's me, I sign him as long as he's willing to be signed. If he wants something shorter, then try to save some money over the next couple of years.

On a related note, what were the Oilers thinking not getting an extension done earlier with Draisaitl!??!

With McDavid, the negotiations start at $9.7MM per year for 8 years ($77.6MM), and then eventually after his agent stops laughing at you, you just agree to $97 for 8 years ($12.125MM)

[Updated on: Thu, 26 January 2017 08:43]

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685991 is a reply to message #685949 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

There were some big questions marks on Drai heading into the season. His agility and acceleration was a bit of a problem (something that he totally remedied heading into this campaign), and there was concern that he might not produce nearly as much without Hall.

He's proven all the naysayers wrong though; Drai reminds me of a young Jagr or Forsberg out there now. He's a beast on the puck, almost impossible to knock off balance and has ridiculous hands.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685950 is a reply to message #685942 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Yeah, I'm in agreement. It's going to cost the Oilers, but you get those deals done. They are the building blocks you building your team around.

What it may mean is sooner or later we'll have to "lose" a deal on someone like Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle and get far less return than one would hope (although it's fair to question what their worth around the league is right now as it is).

Maroon is due for a big pay raise in a couple years if he continues his play as well. The Lucic contract isn't looking so great in the long term...

One bonus: our defense is pretty affordable. I was all for trading for Subban last year, but Friedman said that perhaps the upcoming extension to McDavid played a large role in the Oilers backing off. Make some sense I guess. As it is, Larsson ($4.2M), Klefbom ($4.2M), Sekera ($5.5M), Davidson ($1.4M), and Benning ($1.0M) are all providing good value for what they're bringing.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685957 is a reply to message #685950 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I have always thought that as soon as a different GM other than say Mac T came in, Eberle and Nuge were on borrowed time. I like them as players and it wouldn't bother me if they were here but I think they are over priced for what they bring.

When he's having a typical season, I think Eberle is a 25 goal, 60 pt guy. If you look at his career, that is where he usually is. Those numbers are pretty decent top 6 scorers numbers. I personally don't see him as a fit with McDavid, McDavid needs a guy that gets it off his stick fast and Eberle isn't wired like that. I think JP will be McDavid's RW in the very near future as he's a pure shooter. So I think at 6 mill, I think that is a little steep for a guy who's on your second line and only brings you decent top 6 offense while playing no other positions defensively. Maroon is proving to me that you can get guys to score you over 20 goals plus do other things and it doesn't have to cost you 6 mill. The Oilers could more than double Maroons salary and be in the 4-4.5 range and if he is giving you over 20 goals, over 40 pts plus being physical and tough, it might be better value as you probably are only shaving off a few goals and 10 or so points.

For Nuge. I think the plan is for Drai to be on McDavid's wing this season but move into the second line center spot and be the Oilers Malkin as he has shown he can drive a line at center. If that is the case, you can't have Nuge at 6 mill as a potential 3rd line center. I don't think Nuge is a winger.

People can say the Oilers may "lose" a trade with either of those guys. For me, it all depends on what you think losing a trade is. In a cap world, I think there is value in a players contract. People can say the Oilers player for player maybe "lost" the Hall trade. But the Oilers traded a 6 mill winger but got back a really good, right shot dman, who plays over 20 mins a night, who's big, tough, physical, hard to play against, skates decent and who shuts down other teams best guys. AND he makes less than 4.2 mill and signed long term. Given the way he has played, his age and the fact his best years are yet to come, Larsson very soon if not already is underpaid. Petry makes 5.5 mill, I wouldn't trade Larsson for Petry and Petry makes 1.3 mill more. So in my opinion, people need to keep that in mind that. Yes you want to trade a player like Nuge and I think you can get one back but you have to look at what Nuge is now not what he was drafted for or what you think Nuge maybe could be in a one off season. Nuge is probably a decent second line center who has a decent 2 way game but not a great one, is not great on faceoffs and is probably a max 50 pt guy. Could Nuge have one season where he goes over 60? Maybe but I think he will be around that 50 pt range for most of his career which is pretty good but when the Oilers signed him, they signed him with the expectation he would be over 60. On the Oilers, I don't see Nuge being in a position where he scores over 50 pts given he will get second unit PP time and be on lower lines. Could you find a guy that does the things Nuge does, scores you close to 50 pts but makes less than 6 mill? I think so. So for me, I don't see it as losing the trade if you bring in a good 3rd line center capable of doing most of what Nuge does, capable of scoring close to what Nuge would 40-50 pts but makes 1.5-2 mill less because that cap saving has value.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685962 is a reply to message #685957 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 26 January 2017 09:43

I have always thought that as soon as a different GM other than say Mac T came in, Eberle and Nuge were on borrowed time. I like them as players and it wouldn't bother me if they were here but I think they are over priced for what they bring.

Agreed - I think both of these players will be moved out in short order. Both are overpaid but all we really need back is a 3C and a top-six RW. I think together they're worth that even with their 6M contracts.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685973 is a reply to message #685962 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Thu, 26 January 2017 10:12

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 26 January 2017 09:43

Agreed - I think both of these players will be moved out in short order. Both are overpaid but all we really need back is a 3C and a top-six RW. I think together they're worth that even with their 6M contracts.

At the time of the signings for Nuge and Eberle, I thought they would be good deals. When Eberle signed his 6 mill a season deal, he was coming off a 34 goal, 76 pt season. He followed it up with a 16 goal, 37 pt in 48 games season in the lock out. At his age, you have to figure he was easily going to be a 30 goal, close to 70 pt guy because his best hockey was yet to come given his age. So at 6 mill, that's a pretty good contract. But he's settled into being a 25 ish, 60 pt guy. Still pretty darn good but at 6 mill, you want a little more especially given he's just a offensive guy. If Eberle is at 5 mill, you probably are fine with it.

With Nuge, they may have jumped the gun a bit more. In the lock out, he played 40 games, had 4 goals, 24 pts. Not that great. But given his age and his rookie season of 18 goals, 52 pts in 62 games, you are thinking his best years are to come. He followed the lock out with 19 goals, 56 pts in 80 games. Then 24 goals, 56 pts in 76 games. Then last season he had 12 goals, 34 pts in 55 games. Full season that is just over 50 pts. So we are seeing 3 seasons in a row of just over 50 pts, seeing a pattern. I like Nuge a hell of a lot. He's a former Red Deer rebel, I watch him in junior. But in a cap world, you need more than 50 pts for a 6 mill center.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #685990 is a reply to message #685973 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Drai gets 6 years - $6.5 million a year

McDavid gets 5 years - $11 million a year (highest in league Kane/Toews just behind)

The reasoning - Drai does 6 years cause he has seen what doing long contracts can do to hamper a team and it makes u almost untradeable. Plus, he probably thinks there is upside if he keep playing with McDavid.

McDavid signs first for 5 years (ala Crosby thinking) & doesn't hold his team hostage for the max cuz he wants to win a cup or two. Drai signs 2nd cuz he say there are 6 more years of Mcdavid, so match me up in those same years.

Both get paid very, very well, with some room for other parts to win a cup. Someone in the $6 million range probably gets traded in the next 1-2 years cuz of the cap unless the Canadian $ makes a big come back.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686021 is a reply to message #685942 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

I'm not sure if they will throw the 6x6 at drai or try for a 2 year bridge @ 4-5 per. McDavid will get 97 over 8 years.

Renaissance 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686022 is a reply to message #685942 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I don't get why McDavid has to be the highest paid guy in the league. Amazing talent sure, but the only guys making more than 9.7M AAV are multiple cup winners, 2/3 of them have Conn Smythe trophies, and they got their deals as UFA's.

The highest paid RFA rights right now are Tarasenko and soon Ekblad with 7.5M AAV's. If McDavid got 9.7M AAV he would be the highest paid RFA by 2.2M. That is pretty damn good and does plenty to establish himself as a top player in the league, and should satisfy the NHLPA that salaries are are getting inflated by their top guys.

I think 9.7M x 8 years is more than reasonable to give him.

Drai, probably 6.5M AAV since he has obviously surpassed our other 6M guys, hopefully over 8 years too.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 January 2017 18:20]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686026 is a reply to message #686022 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 26 January 2017 18:18

I don't get why McDavid has to be the highest paid guy in the league. Amazing talent sure, but the only guys making more than 9.7M AAV are multiple cup winners, 2/3 of them have Conn Smythe trophies, and they got their deals as UFA's.

The highest paid RFA rights right now are Tarasenko and soon Ekblad with 7.5M AAV's. If McDavid got 9.7M AAV he would be the highest paid RFA by 2.2M. That is pretty damn good and does plenty to establish himself as a top player in the league, and should satisfy the NHLPA that salaries are are getting inflated by their top guys.

Drai, probably 6.5M AAV since he has obviously surpassed our other 6M guys, hopefully over 8 years too.

I don't think you get 8 years at that price. I would guess that gets you 2-3 years.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686028 is a reply to message #686026 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 26 January 2017 20:03

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 26 January 2017 18:18

I don't think you get 8 years at that price. I would guess that gets you 2-3 years.

Guess we'll see how badly McDavid wants to handicap the team. I dunno, I think 9.7M AAV long term for a 2nd contract should be plenty to satisfy the PA and McDavid.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686056 is a reply to message #686028 ]
Thu, 26 January 2017 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 26 January 2017 19:22

Guess we'll see how badly McDavid wants to handicap the team. I dunno, I think 9.7M AAV long term for a 2nd contract should be plenty to satisfy the PA and McDavid.

Ya, you would have to think that $9.7MM would buy you at least 1 year of UFA, so a 5 year deal minimum hopefully. Crosby signed a 5-year, $8.7MM AAV contract after his entry deal. Crosby also signed that deal in the summer after his 2nd season after winning the Art Ross and Hart trophies.

The highest 2nd contract signed that I can see is Ovechkin's 13 year / $9.5MM AAV contract that obviously bought a lot more UFA years than Crosby's did (and more than McDavid's will).

Granted the salary cap is significantly higher than it was in 2007, but I don't think we've really seen the top end of salaries increase at the same rate.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686144 is a reply to message #686056 ]
Fri, 27 January 2017 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Depending on how Draisaitl finishes the season I think Monahan could be a good comparable, who just signed this off season for $6.375 over 7 years. I also agree with Kr55, I think it's a bit foolish to assume McDavid will automatically become the highest paid player in the league. Doesn't have the hardware yet that the other guys did and also doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would want to completely handcuff his team, regardless of any so called "PA pressure" that may or may not exist.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686153 is a reply to message #686144 ]
Sat, 28 January 2017 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Fri, 27 January 2017 20:16

Depending on how Draisaitl finishes the season I think Monahan could be a good comparable, who just signed this off season for $6.375 over 7 years. I also agree with Kr55, I think it's a bit foolish to assume McDavid will automatically become the highest paid player in the league. Doesn't have the hardware yet that the other guys did and also doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would want to completely handcuff his team, regardless of any so called "PA pressure" that may or may not exist.

Crosby and Malkin might be doing us a favour this year. Crosby is beating McDavid by a good margin on PPG while collecting his 8.7M AAV that he got as UFA. Malkin is on his tail in points with his 9.5M AAV UFA deal. Conn smythe and multiple art ross winners each.

Toews and Kane were just named 2 of the 100 best NHLers of all time, so hard to argue he deserves more than their UFA deals at this point of his career :)

Team has shown major improvement in very short time with McDavid here, so he has lots of room to optimistic about the future here and potential to win. So, that may make him think twice about handicapping the org.

Guess we'll see, but I'm pretty optimistic about a 8 year 9.7M AAV deal.

[Updated on: Sat, 28 January 2017 09:20]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686203 is a reply to message #685942 ]
Mon, 30 January 2017 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

Drai $6M for 6

McDavid $9.7 for 8

Then, I'm thinking goodbye Pou.

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686217 is a reply to message #685942 ]
Mon, 30 January 2017 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Leon 6.5 x 8
McD 9.5 x 8

Both contacts should be signed on July 1.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 January 2017 14:52]

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686226 is a reply to message #686217 ]
Mon, 30 January 2017 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

We actually have to get drai done first if he gets to rfa someone could offersheet him for huge $ knowing we cannot have 2 10 mill centres, and also upping the anti on a McDavid deal.

Renaissance 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #686228 is a reply to message #686226 ]
Mon, 30 January 2017 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ChasinStanley wrote on Mon, 30 January 2017 18:16

We actually have to get drai done first if he gets to rfa someone could offersheet him for huge $ knowing we cannot have 2 10 mill centres, and also upping the anti on a McDavid deal.

I could totally see Burke trying to get the Oilers back with an offer sheet on Drai. Some stupidly structured 2 year deal like they did with O'Rielly.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #695040 is a reply to message #685942 ]
Fri, 26 May 2017 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Few days ago Friedman said McDavid's camp might be looking for a 5 year deal, like Crosby, Kane, Toews, etc... did. To get their big payday in their prime.

Maybe 9.7Mx5 is actually a possibility? And if we manage to win something in that time, maybe he does what Crosby/Malkin did and just stick with similar AAV for the next deal to help keep the team competitive.

Only concern of course is the fear of him being able to walk after 5 years instead of getting the 8. Although, even with 8 years, if McDavid wants out, he can get out regardless.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696305 is a reply to message #695040 ]
Fri, 23 June 2017 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

I love Tim and Sid, but this is comical....

It's a salary cap world and the league revenue determines the cap. The argument that McDavid and more players should shove it to the owners is ridiculous. No doubt Connor is worth the dough, but that's a dumb excuse to look at getting league max. I really can't wait for that Auston Matthews contract Leaf media.

I still believe McDavid is going to be at 8x12.125 ($97 million total) and Leon at a bridge of 4x5 (Scheiffle money).

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696313 is a reply to message #696305 ]
Fri, 23 June 2017 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rekkin  is currently offline Rekkin

No Cups

mazankowski wrote on Fri, 23 June 2017 17:42

I still believe McDavid is going to be at 8x12.125 ($97 million total) and Leon at a bridge of 4x5 (Scheiffle money).

Russel gets 4x4, I think you're dreaming on Leon. He's gonna get paid and I hope he gets term as well. Sign them both long term, pay the money and pray you can emulate Crosby Malkin type success.

The people you are sure are wrong are just as sure that you are wrong. The only difference is they're wrong. - God @TheTweetOfGod

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696315 is a reply to message #696313 ]
Fri, 23 June 2017 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

Rekkin wrote on Fri, 23 June 2017 17:44

Russel gets 4x4, I think you're dreaming on Leon. He's gonna get paid and I hope he gets term as well. Sign them both long term, pay the money and pray you can emulate Crosby Malkin type success.

The NHL is a show me league, and although LD had a great year, he's only had one great year. The Russell deal shows you the value of UFA D-men and being an RFA, the Oil have the choice on a long term or a bridge. I'm all for a long term 8x7 deal for Leon, but I think their camp would prefer a bridge then get PAID.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696392 is a reply to message #696305 ]
Sat, 24 June 2017 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spoonful  is currently offline spoonful

No Cups

Interesting that Stauffer thinks that the Oil will have a tough time signing Draisatl and that saga could run into October.

Also, Stauffer (and Jack Michaels) think that $20M combined for both is low and would be closer to $24M for both.

http://globalnews.ca/pages/audioondemand/

June 24 - 12:00pm hour - starts around 23 minutes in.

I've always been guessing $20M for both ($12.5 for McDavid and $7.5M for Draisatl) so this will be interesting to follow.

The Edmonton Oilers - "Craig's on it"

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696393 is a reply to message #696392 ]
Sat, 24 June 2017 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

spoonful wrote on Sat, 24 June 2017 15:08

Interesting that Stauffer thinks that the Oil will have a tough time signing Draisatl and that saga could run into October.

Also, Stauffer (and Jack Michaels) think that $20M combined for both is low and would be closer to $24M for both.

I've always been guessing $20M for both ($12.5 for McDavid and $7.5M for Draisatl) so this will be interesting to follow.

Cup window pretty much closed if it's 24M for both. I don't see how Drai gets more than 6.5-7M. If he seriously is demanding 10M (which would be needed to get to 24M) I think it's time to part ways. That's generation talent or multiple cup/conn smythe UFA or just plain "I've won enough, don't give a crap how much I cripple the team" money. Highest paid 2nd contracts right now are 7.5M.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 June 2017 15:40]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696394 is a reply to message #696393 ]
Sat, 24 June 2017 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 24 June 2017 15:14

Cup window pretty much closed if it's 24M for both. I don't see how Drai gets more than 6.5-7M. If he seriously is demanding 10M (which would be needed to get to 24M) I think it's time to part ways. That's generation talent or multiple cup/conn smythe UFA or just plain "I've won enough, don't give a crap how much I cripple the team" money. Highest paid 2nd contracts right now are 7.5M.

Hey, if the team is going to give every plugger defenceman top dollar, why shouldn't Draisaitl get all he can? He contributes a hell of a lot more than Russell, 2.5 times the salary sounds about right.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696395 is a reply to message #696394 ]
Sat, 24 June 2017 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 24 June 2017 15:47

Hey, if the team is going to give every plugger defenceman top dollar, why shouldn't Draisaitl get all he can? He contributes a hell of a lot more than Russell, 2.5 times the salary sounds about right.

I don't know. I think RUssell is the kind of player that a typical hockey player is happy to see taking 4M home. Plays 20+ mins a night, sacrifices everything he can to try to win. Doubt many players enjoy analytics conversations.

Guy like EBs on the other hand...sacrificing nothing out there trying to get through everything without a scratch, coughing pucks up while trying to dodge contact, that's a little more questionable to guys I bet :)

Honestly, I really doubt what Russell got as a UFA is a sign to a guy like Drai that they need to get all they can ASAP and screw being a part of a competitive team. Russell got low end 2nd pairing UFA money basically. I'm sure his teammates believe he is at least that quality of a player, even if analytics disagree.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 June 2017 15:58]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696406 is a reply to message #696395 ]
Sat, 24 June 2017 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 24 June 2017 15:49

I don't know. I think RUssell is the kind of player that a typical hockey player is happy to see taking 4M home. Plays 20+ mins a night, sacrifices everything he can to try to win. Doubt many players enjoy analytics conversations.

Guy like EBs on the other hand...sacrificing nothing out there trying to get through everything without a scratch, coughing pucks up while trying to dodge contact, that's a little more questionable to guys I bet :)

Honestly, I really doubt what Russell got as a UFA is a sign to a guy like Drai that they need to get all they can ASAP and screw being a part of a competitive team. Russell got low end 2nd pairing UFA money basically. I'm sure his teammates believe he is at least that quality of a player, even if analytics disagree.

I think that players know who contributes most to a successful team, and that there's not many nights where they leave the ice thinking Kris Russell was the difference maker tonight.

Draisaitl finished eighth in the league in scoring and seventh in playoff scoring despite not playing the last two rounds. That does suggest impact player, even if he benefits greatly from playing with McDavid.

I doubt that young players look at UFAs and think, well, those guys really have paid their dues, so it makes sense that they're paid differently than I am. Good on him for getting every cent he can out of management. If they're getting the hard court press to take a discount, then they're going to want others to show the same commitment to the team, and Russell got every cent and every minute possible out of this contract.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696419 is a reply to message #696406 ]
Sun, 25 June 2017 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

My guess is both 8 yrs one at 12 the other at 9

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696420 is a reply to message #696406 ]
Sun, 25 June 2017 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 24 June 2017 23:33

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 24 June 2017 15:49

I think that players know who contributes most to a successful team, and that there's not many nights where they leave the ice thinking Kris Russell was the difference maker tonight.

Draisaitl finished eighth in the league in scoring and seventh in playoff scoring despite not playing the last two rounds. That does suggest impact player, even if he benefits greatly from playing with McDavid.

I doubt that young players look at UFAs and think, well, those guys really have paid their dues, so it makes sense that they're paid differently than I am. Good on him for getting every cent he can out of management. If they're getting the hard court press to take a discount, then they're going to want others to show the same commitment to the team, and Russell got every cent and every minute possible out of this contract.

I don't know. You talk about the ex-player mentality of valuing the stuff Russell brings in management, but that mentality does not extend to current players? I think it does. Russell is out there defending leads and making nice defensive plays and blocking shots (of course we know he plays an above average role in making the puck be in his end, but he still is very skilled at defending and looking good doing it). Player see that as making a difference. Russell passes the eye test all around the league and with many many fans. That's what most players go off to judge who is out there giving their all. Russell also played big minutes for us, players know this, they see him getting out there every other shift for long periods of time, coming off the ice cringing in pain. That some of the reason he is seen as a leader and a good team guy.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 June 2017 13:56]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696569 is a reply to message #696420 ]
Mon, 26 June 2017 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

2 Cups

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/

As I look at the top cap hits in the NHL for next season, I don't see Leon belonging in the 8M-10M echelon. I've also heard comments that his negotiation isn't going to be straightforward.

Honestly, it might make sense to bridge him at 6-7M and roll the dice on his next contract. If someone offers him 10M, I think you strongly consider taking the first round picks and trade them for assets to (try) replace him.

PS. Oil country is going to crap it's collective drawers if McDavid only signs a 5-year deal, and I can't think of a ton of reasons he wouldn't do that. Take 12M x 5 now, and see where the team is in 5 years. If he's lifted the Cup, he can extend - if not, we could take a dagger to the heart...

https://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/lebron.jpg

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696570 is a reply to message #696569 ]
Mon, 26 June 2017 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Mon, 26 June 2017 16:28

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/

As I look at the top cap hits in the NHL for next season, I don't see Leon belonging in the 8M-10M echelon. I've also heard comments that his negotiation isn't going to be straightforward.

Honestly, it might make sense to bridge him at 6-7M and roll the dice on his next contract. If someone offers him 10M, I think you strongly consider taking the first round picks and trade them for assets to (try) replace him.

PS. Oil country is going to crap it's collective drawers if McDavid only signs a 5-year deal, and I can't think of a ton of reasons he wouldn't do that. Take 12M x 5 now, and see where the team is in 5 years. If he's lifted the Cup, he can extend - if not, we could take a dagger to the heart...

Well, 5 years would be better than 4 at least...

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696683 is a reply to message #696570 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Rishaug just tweeted he is guessing McDavid's contract will be 8 yrs at 13 mill. Now I have no idea if that is a complete guess or he's getting leaked some numbers. If that is close to the range, so much for my dream of McDavid signing a 5 yr deal at 9.7 per so they can win.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #696684 is a reply to message #696683 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 27 June 2017 13:51

Rishaug just tweeted he is guessing McDavid's contract will be 8 yrs at 13 mill. Now I have no idea if that is a complete guess or he's getting leaked some numbers. If that is close to the range, so much for my dream of McDavid signing a 5 yr deal at 9.7 per so they can win.

That will definitely make it tougher for the Oilers to be competitive. Can't blame the kid, but it really shows what a gift Crosby gave the Pens with his last contract.

Pages (6): [1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Total AAV Cost of McDavid+Drai...
Next Topic:Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca