F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNICPages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672190]
Tue, 07 June 2016 09:00 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2016/06/06/ don-cherry-agrees-to-one-year-deal-for-hockey-night-in-canad a-next-season.html

I kind of thought this playoff would be the last hurrah for Don Cherry, with him sailing off in to the sunset. I think it's a huge mistake to bring him back. He's no longer relevant now, and I worry it's just a matter of time until he says something on air that vilifies him and tarnishes his legacy. I could see it going the route of that old owner of the Los Angeles Clippers. He's hockey's crazy old uncle right now, and while that can be somewhat entertaining, it's a ticking time bomb.

Of course, it's Sportsnet running the show now, so they probably had zero ideas how they'd fill that segment if Don Cherry wasn't sitting in the chair.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672192 is a reply to message #672190 ]
Tue, 07 June 2016 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

I don't know, Don is an institution.. he can be a nattering old fool or may bring a decent point to a conversation. Ultimately, the guy brings ratings, something of which Rogers badly needs right now as Canadians have turned off the playoffs in droves.

I see your point but that's Don legacy isn't the focus. If Don cared he would move on, but he still thinks he's got some stuff to give.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672204 is a reply to message #672190 ]
Tue, 07 June 2016 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Sportsnet got absolutely hammered in the rating this year. They need to hang on to anything that even remotely resembles a winner. Cherry stays because, you're right, they've got no ideas how to beat that segment.

This is fine.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672206 is a reply to message #672204 ]
Tue, 07 June 2016 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 June 2016 12:48

Sportsnet got absolutely hammered in the rating this year. They need to hang on to anything that even remotely resembles a winner. Cherry stays because, you're right, they've got no ideas how to beat that segment.

I'm sure that plays apart. Not having a Canadian team really hurt them. Plus let's be honest, as great a hockey nation Canada is, I think most fans are more fans of their team rather than of hockey. When their teams not in it, their interest level is much less. Personally, I don't care if they are a Canadian team, I will never cheer for the Leafs. I will never cheer for the Canucks. I could really care less about the Habs and I have a hard time cheering for the Flames.

I'm not ashamed to say that I am an Oilers fan first and a hockey fan second. When the Oilers make the playoffs, I will watch every second of the game. When the Oilers aren't in the playoffs, even if there are Canadian teams, I will flip.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672218 is a reply to message #672206 ]
Tue, 07 June 2016 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 June 2016 12:09

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 June 2016 12:48

I'm sure that plays apart. Not having a Canadian team really hurt them. Plus let's be honest, as great a hockey nation Canada is, I think most fans are more fans of their team rather than of hockey. When their teams not in it, their interest level is much less. Personally, I don't care if they are a Canadian team, I will never cheer for the Leafs. I will never cheer for the Canucks. I could really care less about the Habs and I have a hard time cheering for the Flames.

I'm not ashamed to say that I am an Oilers fan first and a hockey fan second. When the Oilers make the playoffs, I will watch every second of the game. When the Oilers aren't in the playoffs, even if there are Canadian teams, I will flip.

BINGO!

I'll watch a crap Oiler game, but I could care less to watch anyone else most of the regular season, unless its two teams that really hate each other and I know there will be sparks flying. And you're right, if Toronto was in the playoffs, Sportsnet ratings would have captured the southern Ontario viewers, but elsewhere in Canada, not much, although .. it seems there are Leaf and Hab fans "everywhere"... like freaking cockroaches.. :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672231 is a reply to message #672218 ]
Wed, 08 June 2016 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 07 June 2016 22:36

Ditto. Oilers or bust.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672253 is a reply to message #672231 ]
Thu, 09 June 2016 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Wed, 08 June 2016 19:14

Ditto. Oilers or bust.

Hey Duffy, thanks for agreeing, but that's not my quote :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672258 is a reply to message #672253 ]
Thu, 09 June 2016 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 09 June 2016 11:00

DUFFMAN wrote on Wed, 08 June 2016 19:14

Ditto. Oilers or bust.

Hey Duffy, I totally wrote that

Disagree.

This is fine.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672268 is a reply to message #672258 ]
Thu, 09 June 2016 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 09 June 2016 10:29

Skookum Jim has to be the best poster on Oilfans, a 9.65 out of 10 for sure! and .... Stevie Yzerman rocks!

Thanks partner, I appreciate your posts as well! ;)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672269 is a reply to message #672268 ]
Thu, 09 June 2016 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 09 June 2016 16:46

Skookum Jim has to be the best poster on Oilfans, a 9.65 out of 10 for sure! and .... Stevie Yzerman rocks!

That quote should be your new signature!

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672275 is a reply to message #672269 ]
Fri, 10 June 2016 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 June 2016 17:07

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 09 June 2016 16:46

Messier's best Cup was his Rangers Cup.

I'm not sure why I quoted Adam when I just wanted to bask in the mutual appreciation society with Skook. .

This is fine.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672209 is a reply to message #672190 ]
Tue, 07 June 2016 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Cherry is going to die in that chair on HNIC, as in literally die in it during one of his segments. MacLean will be staring at him in shock as he just keels over in the seat as he was talking about some tough kids he knew in Moose Jaw.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672271 is a reply to message #672209 ]
Thu, 09 June 2016 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 07 June 2016 13:36

Cherry is going to die in that chair on HNIC, as in literally die in it during one of his segments. MacLean will be staring at him in shock as he just keels over in the seat as he was talking about some tough kids he knew in Moose Jaw.

Or the safer bet. Kingston..

#firebob

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672217 is a reply to message #672190 ]
Tue, 07 June 2016 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Awesome to hear! Don is a Canadian icon, should have the Order of Canada by now. He's said before he'll just take 1 year contracts and see if he wants to continue year to year. Hope he stays for years to come.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672219 is a reply to message #672190 ]
Tue, 07 June 2016 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

More than once my 2-year old's anticipation of seeing "Don Cheewee!" has allowed me to watch a little playoff hockey instead of what he wants, so I'm OK with this :P

I can't remember the last time I actually paid attention to what Cherry was saying though. Catches me attention when he talks about an Oiler, maybe something about Nurse was the last thing I paid attention to.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672265 is a reply to message #672219 ]
Thu, 09 June 2016 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

If they want to keep Cherry on, go for it, I could careless. Unless the Oilers are playing the Leafs, I typically don't even watch the first game because I hate the Leafs so much and that's pretty much Leafs TV on Hockey Night in Canada. So I don't even see Cherry complain about Russians, butcher peoples names or talk about old school hockey that doesn't apply anymore or whatever the hell he does now.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #672410 is a reply to message #672265 ]
Tue, 14 June 2016 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

When I was 16, so like 36 years ago (yeah, I'm that old) Cherry handed out the trophies at the Air Canada midget tournament. He seemed old to me then....so that was like 1980. I think he was coaching the briefly existing Colorado Rockies then. They were a bad team so he had lots of free time when the regular season ended. At his age..he is bound to say something completely off side...

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #673419 is a reply to message #672190 ]
Sun, 26 June 2016 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The NHL's crazy old uncle weighed in on the Leafs' draft with a twitter rant. Fortunately, he's learned about twitdocs, rather than his old method of breaking tweets in to 14 parts.

Quote:

I like Kerby Rychel, he’s ready for the NHL. He’ll be playing for the Leafs next year. Should have made the Blue Jackets last year. He happened to have some size on the team and some sand paper to go along with the sweethearts… Auston Matthews will play on the third line for a while to take the pressure off but look for him to someday to be the number one guy as usual. Matthews and Nylander look like the same type to me. Tons of talent, they either get too high or they get too low. They’ve been taught this in the ice follies in Switzerland and Sweden. Lets put it this way, after a loss you won’t see them in a frenzy, tears, and breaking sticks over goal posts like Dougie Gilmour. Leafs have been criticized for taking size over talent. They took 8 guys over 6’3”. They have enough talent, everybody knows you can have all the talent in the world if you don’t have some size you’re not going anywhere. Just ask Edmonton.

Quote:

Steven Stamkos will be a Leaf if the Leafs break the bank for him. 11 or 12 million say and Steven will be even better in Toronto than he was in Tampa believe it or not because everyone knows Ontario boys play better in Ontario than other players because of friends and family so says coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs Mike Babcock and so says American GM Brian Burke when he was with Toronto. That’s why Toronto went out and drafted in the first 3 rounds, a Russian, a Swede and 3 Americans. Mark Hunter, the draftee or whatever you want to call him, is from Ontario. His expertise is one of the reasons he was hired, he knows all the kids in Ontario. He was GM for the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League. Mark was going to be our hero, from Ontario and the 40,000 kids that play for the GHTL of Ontario were looking forward to this draft. We were looking forward to the draft so much and he drafts 3 Americans, a Swede and a Russian in the first 3 rounds but we will still cheer and support the Leafs. I have season seats and we will definitely cheer for the Leafs because it seems in Ontario we like to get kicked in the nuts.

Not sure he's keeping with the plot at all. Matthews and Nylander get too high or too low, which is a problem, but they won't break sticks like Gilmour after a loss? That sounds a little more level-headed, to be honest, not over-emotional.

Edmonton's issue has not been size. We had plenty of size last year.

Ontario boys play better in Ontario? Wonder what kind of numbers Gretzky would have put up as a Leaf then...would have been amazing.

Would anyone really change who they cheered for based on the nationality of the players drafted?

And good to know that Ontarians like to get kicked in the nuts. I'll remember that next time I'm there.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #673420 is a reply to message #673419 ]
Sun, 26 June 2016 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ugh. I shouldn't have looked at the old fella's twitter:

Quote:

Thoughts on the NHL Awards. I will keep my thoughts to just the awards. You saw the show, it needs no comment. Way to go Doughty for the best defenceman. Finally a real defenceman wins, not an offensive defenceman like the previous winners. Doughty scores, hits, fights and blocks shots, the way a defenceman should. Now I will have to work next year on Shea Weber, another beauty.

3 Europeans up for the Lady Byng, that’s the way it should be. Lady Byng would be proud. If a Canadian wins it, he’s kidded all year….

Patrick Kane was on a mission this year. Sharpest dressed at the Awards. Like the haircut too. He looked like a movie star. Brent Burns, 2 nd sharpest dresser, looked like Wolfman. No front teeth, that’s ok, that’s his shtick. But what was with Doughty no teeth? Looks stupid….

Look I’ve got nothing against Artemi Panarin of Chicago. Had a great year but he’s 26 years old in the NHL. McDavid is 18 years old. It’s not fair. It reminds me when Sergei Samsonov won the rookie of the year award over Joe Thornton. I said check with me in 10 years and see who you would want on your team. I ask you honesty if you were to start a franchise who would you want? McDavid or Panarin? No contest….

You couldn’t go wrong with the Jack Adams award. Gerard Gallant, Barry Trotz and Lindy Ruff all deserve the award.

Toronto fans must feel good to see Frederik Andersen win the Jennings. Lou gave a lot but got a lot. Frederik will earn his 5 million. He’s going to see a lot of rubber this year. I would suggest, and I think it makes sense, the Jennings award, I’ve got nothing against Jennings whoever he is, why not make it the Terry Sawchuk award? Norris trophy, why not the Bobby Orr trophy? Hart trophy, why not the Gordie Howe trophy? Wouldn’t those be nice on your mantle? I think so.

Don't disagree with looking at the names for the awards:

- William Jennings was the President of the Rangers for a time.
- There were two James Norris in the NHL. The one who the award was named for owned the Detroit Red Wings. His son was part of a group that bought the Blackhawks.
- The Hart Trophy is named after Dr. David Hart, who donated the trophy. His son was coach and general manager of the Canadiens.
- Conn Smythe was the owner of the Leafs.
- Frank Calder was the first President of the NHL, serving in that role from 1917-43.
- Georges Vezina was an NHL goalie until he left the game with tuberculosis and died a few months later in 1926.

I could get behind new awards, but that's a big decision for the league and it's walking away from some of its past then in favour of more recent past.

The Calder stuff is just ridiculous. I wanted McDavid to win, but the award isn't "what rookie would you build a team around?" And Samsonov was drafted the same day as Joe Thornton. He was a few months older than him and he scored 22-25-47 in his first season, compared to Thornton's 3-4-7 season. Thornton and Pat Burns apparently didn't see eye to eye his first year, but still...he wasn't in the conversation for the Calder that year.

Just rolling my eyes about the Lady Byng comments.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #675006 is a reply to message #672190 ]
Wed, 13 July 2016 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Well, Cherry's good and mad about the anthem singers at the MLB All-Star game. That's not really that surprising. It was an idiotic stunt by a guy who seems to be completely clueless. He wanted to make a big splash, but other than offending Canadians, I don't think he even creates a ripple. How many Americans would even know the usual words to the song? Apparently the US coverage of the game was on commercial break when they sung the Canadian anthem anyhow.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/don-cherry-tenors-anthem -1.3677356

As for Cherry - he's off his rocker. What this has to do with "left wing weirdos" in Canada, I'll never know. I think the only person I've heard of supporting this moronic stunt was some Parti Quebecois separatist, and even he apologized later. Maybe Cherry believes the NDP is going to move to make those the new permanent lyrics? I hope not, because honestly, it was a little awkward shoehorning that phrase in there and who are these "great" who all lives matter to? Is it the Queen? The Prime Minister? Gretzky?

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #675011 is a reply to message #675006 ]
Wed, 13 July 2016 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 13 July 2016 14:29

Well, Cherry's good and mad about the anthem singers at the MLB All-Star game. That's not really that surprising. It was an idiotic stunt by a guy who seems to be completely clueless. He wanted to make a big splash, but other than offending Canadians, I don't think he even creates a ripple. How many Americans would even know the usual words to the song? Apparently the US coverage of the game was on commercial break when they sung the Canadian anthem anyhow.

As for Cherry - he's off his rocker. What this has to do with "left wing weirdos" in Canada, I'll never know. I think the only person I've heard of supporting this moronic stunt was some Parti Quebecois separatist, and even he apologized later. Maybe Cherry believes the NDP is going to move to make those the new permanent lyrics? I hope not, because honestly, it was a little awkward shoehorning that phrase in there and who are these "great" who all lives matter to? Is it the Queen? The Prime Minister? Gretzky?

Shut it weirdo, you're being lefty.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #675014 is a reply to message #675011 ]
Wed, 13 July 2016 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 13 July 2016 14:54

I am left-handed...maybe I'm a bit too sinister for Grapes...

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #675016 is a reply to message #675014 ]
Wed, 13 July 2016 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 13 July 2016 15:00

That would make you right-brained though, so it's kind of a saw off.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #675030 is a reply to message #675016 ]
Thu, 14 July 2016 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 13 July 2016 15:50

Holy crap! I'm left handed too!! I must be down right evil.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #675042 is a reply to message #675030 ]
Thu, 14 July 2016 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 14 July 2016 10:05

Magnum wrote on Wed, 13 July 2016 15:50

Holy crap! I'm left handed too!! I must be down right evil.

lefties are weird...never trust a lefty.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715268 is a reply to message #675006 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

.....looks like Cherry will be around for the 2018-19 season....

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/don-cherry-hockey-night- in-canada-return-1.4693412

....HNIC ratings will continue to go through the roof....

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715271 is a reply to message #715268 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 06 June 2018 09:50

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/don-cherry-hockey-night- in-canada-return-1.4693412

I cringe every time they extend him. Cherry's more out of touch every year, but he's still an icon. I fear that if they keep bringing him back, at some point he's going to have a Donald Sterling moment and say something really racist or offensive on TV and it's going to tarnish his legacy.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715273 is a reply to message #715271 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

I haven't really watched coaches corner in years. I just can't handle Cherry anymore. If I happen to be watching a HNIC game, I will just get up and do whatever while he is doing his thing. On the off chance I glance at the screen when he is on, I am doing it in the hopes that MacLean just snaps and starts pummeling him. Every time I see MacLean's face as Cherry speaks, it looks like he is doing everything he can just to not drill Cherry.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715288 is a reply to message #715273 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 06 June 2018 10:02

I haven't really watched coaches corner in years. I just can't handle Cherry anymore. If I happen to be watching a HNIC game, I will just get up and do whatever while he is doing his thing. On the off chance I glance at the screen when he is on, I am doing it in the hopes that MacLean just snaps and starts pummeling him. Every time I see MacLean's face as Cherry speaks, it looks like he is doing everything he can just to not drill Cherry.

C'mon man, I think he's insightful. Remember this beauty about the Oilers?

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715289 is a reply to message #715288 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I just hope we get more of these:

He was right about Zatsev too. Leafs fans hate him with a passion now hehe.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715287 is a reply to message #715271 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 June 2018 09:59

I cringe every time they extend him. Cherry's more out of touch every year, but he's still an icon. I fear that if they keep bringing him back, at some point he's going to have a Donald Sterling moment and say something really racist or offensive on TV and it's going to tarnish his legacy.

He can say whatever he wants now. He's super old. Old and set in your ways. That's a free pass :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715292 is a reply to message #715287 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

The worst was the other day, game 3 in Washington. The top General of the US military is sitting beside him and there is Cherry in one of his ridiculous suits, spouting off every single stereotypical Canadian word in his stereotypical Canadian accent, cutting off and yell talking at this General. They should have just had him holding a Tim's cup with a 6 pack of Canadian at the corner of his desk. Might as well complete the picture of a supposed typical Canadian looks and sounds like for all the Americans watching.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715300 is a reply to message #715287 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 06 June 2018 11:29

He can say whatever he wants now. He's super old. Old and set in your ways. That's a free pass :)

I worry he sees it that way. He's been a little more fiery the last couple of years. But all it takes is one racist comment and that blows up everything.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715302 is a reply to message #715300 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 June 2018 13:30

I worry he sees it that way. He's been a little more fiery the last couple of years. But all it takes is one racist comment and that blows up everything.

It doesn't even have to be racist, just the perception of racism is enough to get everyone into a tizzy. It's amazing he's managed to walk the line so far, especially being a guy who actually likes Canada and stands up for it in <current year>.

This is fine.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715303 is a reply to message #715302 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 06 June 2018 13:37

It doesn't even have to be racist, just the perception of racism is enough to get everyone into a tizzy. It's amazing he's managed to walk the line so far, especially being a guy who actually likes Canada and stands up for it in <current year>.

Liking Canada and standing up for it is fine. No one is going to fire him for that.

If he makes a comment about Muslims or Blacks or something like that...which he could totally do...look at his comments in the past about Europeans and French Canadians...then he's going to get axed and people will be left with that as their final memory of him.

I've sort of expected that for his end ever since the LA Clippers thing with Sterling's racist comments a couple years back.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715304 is a reply to message #715303 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 June 2018 13:40

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 06 June 2018 13:37

Liking Canada and standing up for it is fine. No one is going to fire him for that.

If he makes a comment about Muslims or Blacks or something like that...which he could totally do...look at his comments in the past about Europeans and French Canadians...then he's going to get axed and people will be left with that as their final memory of him.

I've sort of expected that for his end ever since the LA Clippers thing with Sterling's racist comments a couple years back.

It's a fine line to walk. You're (kind of) allowed to stand up for Canada and believe it's the best place because of the people who built it but god forbid you somehow imply that other places aren't as good. Notice how I didn't say anything about other people who built other places that may be inferior? Yeah, that's definitely not allowed now.

This is fine.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715305 is a reply to message #715304 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Hey keep that stuff to the argument thread. We are here to disagree with RDOilerfan on this channel, not each other.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715310 is a reply to message #715300 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

But he sooooooooooo oooooooooooooooold. If he said racist stuff, I'm pretty sure I would just laugh. Just, haha, old racist fart being an old racist fart.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715311 is a reply to message #715310 ]
Wed, 06 June 2018 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 06 June 2018 15:38

But he sooooooooooo oooooooooooooooold. If he said racist stuff, I'm pretty sure I would just laugh. Just, haha, old racist fart being an old racist fart.

It won't be racist, it'll be xenophobic. He was trying so hard to drag the conversation after game 1 to bashing Ovechkin but Ron knew exactly where he was going and kept moving the conversation away from that.

Re: Don Cherry - signs a new deal with HNIC [message #715321 is a reply to message #715311 ]
Thu, 07 June 2018 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

I always thought Cherry was brought on to help bring in an American audience?

Is he not more like an American than a Canadian?

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Don Cherry Fired
Next Topic:Survivor LXIII (63)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca