This day on September 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Kumquat, oilaz, CarOil, Oilcraze67, CowboyHockey4, Treads78, RDOilerfan, grace_acebedo

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Darnell NursePages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Darnell Nurse [message #780285]
Fri, 19 March 2021 06:59 Go to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

I've always said that Nurse had Norris calibre tools, but an ECHL toolbox. Well this year he seems to have upgraded to a Snap-On.

Still a few little gaffes here and there, but his skating seems as effortless as ever, he seems more poised with the breakouts, and his offensive instincts seem to have levelled up.

His ranks amongst all NHL dmen with barely any PP time:

#1 EV Goals (#3 overall)
#1 EV Points (tied for 7th overall)
#2 +/-
#3 in SOG
#1 total TOI (#5 TOI/GM 25:32)

Is Darnell now a legit #1? Assuming he maintains his strong play and brings more of the same next year, I don't think his agent will have a hard time arguing just that. I have an inkling we won't be re-signing Nurse for $5.6M.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780287 is a reply to message #780285 ]
Fri, 19 March 2021 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

I've been pretty critical of him in the past, largely due to the bone-headed and ill-disciplined plays that he was prone to making. Never doubted the skills & physical attributes, just the mental side.

Like you, I'm also pleasantly surprised at how he's broken out this season. I wonder if we would have seen that same leap in development if Klefbom had been healthy to start the season.

Either way, once Klef gets back, that defence corps becomes legitimately strong.

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780291 is a reply to message #780287 ]
Fri, 19 March 2021 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 07:19

I've been pretty critical of him in the past, largely due to the bone-headed and ill-disciplined plays that he was prone to making. Never doubted the skills & physical attributes, just the mental side.

This was me the past few seasons. Could skate like the wind, throw down with anyone, clears the crease etc. When it came offensively the play ALWAYS died on his stick. Whether it was jumping in the play and missing the net or flubbing it at the goalie and his bobbles of the puck at the blue line which eventually the puck flips out of the zone.

In the offseason I think it was Gregor who wrote an article how Nurse was one of the best D in the league with zone entries and we have seen that for a few seasons. The thought I had of he could somehow just make a smarter play when in the offensive zone and he’s been doing EXACTLY that this season. Dude is picking corners on his shots and even with some of the PP time we see he’s controlling the line much better.

This is the Nurse we have wanted for so long, I think the reason we all were hard on him is because we saw he had all the tools and know he could be a bonafide first pairing D. Happy for him!

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780296 is a reply to message #780285 ]
Fri, 19 March 2021 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

This is going to sound like I'm down on Nurse (I'm not), but really the biggest differences are that he's playing almost 2 more minutes per game, likely due to Klefbom's absence, and he's on a shooting percentage bender.

Assists/60, 1st assists/60, shots/60 are all down from last year. Goals/60 are way up, but his shooting % is double his next highest season, so not likely a long term thing.

If I'm the Oilers, I'm pointing out that he plays a ton with Conner McDavid (and Draisaitl). Nurse has played 369 minutes 5x5 with McDavid. The rest of the d-men with McDavid are:

Barrie - 294
Bear - 118
Larsson - 95
Russell- 87
You get my point

I think he's done a fine job stepping up with Klefbom out, I just don't see it as a huge leap forward, and if Klefbom wasn't injured this year, it's probably not the same picture.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason =20202021&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&am p;stdoi=oi&rate=y&v=p&playerid=8477498

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780322 is a reply to message #780296 ]
Fri, 19 March 2021 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 11:10

This is going to sound like I'm down on Nurse (I'm not), but really the biggest differences are that he's playing almost 2 more minutes per game, likely due to Klefbom's absence, and he's on a shooting percentage bender.

Assists/60, 1st assists/60, shots/60 are all down from last year. Goals/60 are way up, but his shooting % is double his next highest season, so not likely a long term thing.

If I'm the Oilers, I'm pointing out that he plays a ton with Conner McDavid (and Draisaitl). Nurse has played 369 minutes 5x5 with McDavid. The rest of the d-men with McDavid are:

Barrie - 294
Bear - 118
Larsson - 95
Russell- 87
You get my point

I think he's done a fine job stepping up with Klefbom out, I just don't see it as a huge leap forward, and if Klefbom wasn't injured this year, it's probably not the same picture.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason =20202021&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&am p;am p;stdoi=oi&rate=y&v=p&playerid=8477498

Yeah not to get off topic too much....but it makes me wonder how Barrie got to play a ton with the stacked forward core of Toronto last year...struggled...yet has much better chemistry with the current Oilers forwards whom are very talented but not as deep....

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780324 is a reply to message #780322 ]
Fri, 19 March 2021 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 12:07

Barrie - 294
Bear - 118
Larsson - 95
Russell- 87
You get my point

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason =20202021&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&am p;am p;am p;am p;stdoi=oi&rate=y&v=p&playerid=8477498

Yeah not to get off topic too much....but it makes me wonder how Barrie got to play a ton with the stacked forward core of Toronto last year...struggled...yet has much better chemistry with the current Oilers forwards whom are very talented but not as deep....

I remember reading that Barrie was deployed poorly by babcock. 2nd pp unit etc. and that his numbers improved significantly once the $8 million man was let go.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780327 is a reply to message #780324 ]
Fri, 19 March 2021 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Well with Nurse’s improved play I’m sure glad we signed him to a contract that literally walks him to free agency...brilliant

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780336 is a reply to message #780324 ]
Fri, 19 March 2021 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 12:08

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 12:07

Barrie - 294
Bear - 118
Larsson - 95
Russell- 87
You get my point

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason =20202021&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;stdoi=oi&rate=y&v=p&playerid=8477498

I remember reading that Barrie was deployed poorly by babcock. 2nd pp unit etc. and that his numbers improved significantly once the $8 million man was let go.

Also I don't think he played a lot with Morgan Rielly, who got the lion's share of the time with the top line.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780416 is a reply to message #780336 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Perception of Darnell Nurse - at least, among some writers who cover the NHL.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/toronto-maple-leafs-tra de-deadline-quick-shifts/

"Norris Trophy
1. Victor Hedman
2. Jeff Petry
3. Darnell Nurse"

Not having seen much of the US teams, I don't know if the perception of Nurse and Petry are valid, but it's great to see Nurse getting some respect from the Eastern Canadian media. (Kind of hurts to see the high ranking of Petry.)

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780580 is a reply to message #780416 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

MacT thought he was a chump.

Ughhhh... MacT.... 🤦‍♂️

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780582 is a reply to message #780580 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 23:14

MacT thought he was a chump.

Ughhhh... MacT.... 🤦‍♂️

Not necessarily a chump. Just not worth 1st pair D Nikitin money long term :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780330 is a reply to message #780322 ]
Fri, 19 March 2021 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

2 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 11:07

Player's have off years. Hockey is an often random game.

Even so, for a guy who had a "bad" year last year, he still managed to be on a 45 point pace in an 82 game season. That is pretty good output from a defenseman.

Clean house or bust

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780584 is a reply to message #780330 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 12:46

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 11:07

Player's have off years. Hockey is an often random game.

Even so, for a guy who had a "bad" year last year, he still managed to be on a 45 point pace in an 82 game season. That is pretty good output from a defenseman.

I've been a Nurse supporter since the start but was getting down on him the last two years. Then I noticed that most of his bad habits and plays were the direct result of #4 continuing to play the scramble defence and leaving Nurse out to dry. With Nurse being paired with some experienced confident players, I see him getting better every game - covering for other D when they float, standing up for the G, starting the rush like Coffey (but not inishing it like Coffey!). Less Runaround Krussell = better Oil D overall.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780419 is a reply to message #780285 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

1 Cup

I remember being so happy they got darnell that year, he was the guy I wanted for Edmonton it was looking like he was not going to put it all together to the level he could. This year has shown me a bit different he still has his lapses but as a whole he has looked like the 1d he was projected to be. From my understanding hes a good friend of drai so the oilers are definitely going to try and keep him around what does everyone think his number is, 7+?

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780422 is a reply to message #780419 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 19:01

I remember being so happy they got darnell that year, he was the guy I wanted for Edmonton it was looking like he was not going to put it all together to the level he could. This year has shown me a bit different he still has his lapses but as a whole he has looked like the 1d he was projected to be. From my understanding hes a good friend of drai so the oilers are definitely going to try and keep him around what does everyone think his number is, 7+?

I think he will be looking at Chabot and Trouba and wanting at least that. Especially if people keep name dropping him in Norris discussions.
I am guessing his ask is 8.5 plus and he ends up getting it or close to it from someone

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780423 is a reply to message #780422 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 19:07

I think he will be looking at Chabot and Trouba and wanting at least that. Especially if people keep name dropping him in Norris discussions.
I am guessing his ask is 8.5 plus and he ends up getting it or close to it from someone

Oilers are going to have some hard decisions. Nuge, Barrie, Nurse, and a starting goalie need to be added and limited money is going to come off. Nurse and Nuge are McD's best buds, it's going to be rough to see either go. Barrie might have to be the sacrifice, but he's been huge for the team this year. A proper starting goalie is almost a given too.

Tough times ahead for the cap guy.

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780426 is a reply to message #780423 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 19:18

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 19:07

Oilers are going to have some hard decisions. Nuge, Barrie, Nurse, and a starting goalie need to be added and limited money is going to come off. Nurse and Nuge are McD's best buds, it's going to be rough to see either go. Barrie might have to be the sacrifice, but he's been huge for the team this year. A proper starting goalie is almost a given too.

Tough times ahead for the cap guy.

I agree on the tough choices. Given the amount of youth in the Oilers D pipeline I am already assuming Barrie is one and done. Both him and Nurse are in line for a lengthy deal and fairly high dollars and they cant keep both.
RNH I am guessing is gone as well. No matter what he says I cant imagine he is looking at staying in Edmonton as the best thing for him career or money wise. Opportunity (assuming he wants to be a center still) and money just wont be there.
The Oilers will have a decent chunk to spend next year but a lot of spots to fill, a couple of those pretty good size holes.
In good news Pouliot finally comes off the books!

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780522 is a reply to message #780285 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Full appreciation to Nursey. I think a lot of his value comes from how much endurance he has. Guy can just bring it all night long and he's cleaned up a lot of his game. Still think he needs a puck mover on the right side. Bit scared about what we give him now. I know the org loves him and he's BFF's with our best players. Could easily see an 8M AAV.

Just gotta hope he keeps improving. Won't be for lack of trying, that's for sure, he's a driven guy.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780538 is a reply to message #780522 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 22:07

Full appreciation to Nursey. I think a lot of his value comes from how much endurance he has. Guy can just bring it all night long and he's cleaned up a lot of his game. Still think he needs a puck mover on the right side. Bit scared about what we give him now. I know the org loves him and he's BFF's with our best players. Could easily see an 8M AAV.

Just gotta hope he keeps improving. Won't be for lack of trying, that's for sure, he's a driven guy.

I strongly believe Barrie has played a major role in unlocking Nurse, and vice versa. Since the two have been put together they’ve been money.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780540 is a reply to message #780538 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 22:18

I strongly believe Barrie has played a major role in unlocking Nurse, and vice versa. Since the two have been put together they’ve been money.

Nurse-Bouch pair may be the future. Man I wish we could get a better idea of what Bouch has to offer.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780549 is a reply to message #780540 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 22:19

Nurse-Bouch pair may be the future. Man I wish we could get a better idea of what Bouch has to offer.

If we can afford to keep Barrie for 3 more years I would not be upset. Bouchard will have a long career and likely a full time spot next year. I’m in no rush to push him up if we can keep winning with our vets.

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780557 is a reply to message #780549 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 22:29

If we can afford to keep Barrie for 3 more years I would not be upset. Bouchard will have a long career and likely a full time spot next year. I’m in no rush to push him up if we can keep winning with our vets.

Would love to keep Barrie. Just not getting my hopes up. Signed 1 year with us for a reason. Wanted to repair his reputation around the league to get his retirement contract. Would almost be foolish of him to not get to UFA and see what he can get. Seattle even gets to come in with a blank slate and a pile of cap space.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780565 is a reply to message #780557 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 22:32

Would love to keep Barrie. Just not getting my hopes up. Signed 1 year with us for a reason. Wanted to repair his reputation around the league to get his retirement contract. Would almost be foolish of him to not get to UFA and see what he can get. Seattle even gets to come in with a blank slate and a pile of cap space.

I’m not so sure. He turned down bigger money and term already. Yeah, sure maybe for the one and only reason of betting on himself for the season and cashing in for a brinks truck. Not many *knock on wood* contenders could offer what the Oilers could offer and I (want to) think his time with Nurse, along with the obvious boys up front, could be super enticing for him to see they have something potentially special here.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780569 is a reply to message #780565 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 22:38

I’m not so sure. He turned down bigger money and term already. Yeah, sure maybe for the one and only reason of betting on himself for the season and cashing in for a brinks truck. Not many *knock on wood* contenders could offer what the Oilers could offer and I (want to) think his time with Nurse, along with the obvious boys up front, could be super enticing for him to see they have something potentially special here.

I don’t know the exact quote, but didn’t Barrie say the other day that he thought it would be nice to keep playing in his current situation after this year? I don’t think he would be averse to staying at a non-crazy number.

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780571 is a reply to message #780569 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 22:46

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 22:38

I don’t know the exact quote, but didn’t Barrie say the other day that he thought it would be nice to keep playing in his current situation after this year? I don’t think he would be averse to staying at a non-crazy number.

Yeah! I can’t remember the exact quote either, however it would make this Oilfans poster extremely happy.

Nurse/Barrie are a legit first pairing D. They may not be all world in their own end, but they’re a legit first pairing D.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780550 is a reply to message #780540 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

How jacked would you be if Bouch’s ceiling ends up being what Barrie is?

If you can get Barrie for 2-3 seasons at 5, why wouldn’t you want Bouch learning from him?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780553 is a reply to message #780550 ]
Sat, 20 March 2021 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

1 Cup

At 5 I would lock barrie down, unfortunately I don't think 5 does it. I think it is at least 6 likely more

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780585 is a reply to message #780285 ]
Sun, 21 March 2021 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Nurse's Hockey IQ is finally catching up to the speed and complexity of the NHL, starting to play at an NHL level like he was in the OHL for the Greyhounds where he dominated. He's starting to feel it see his reads a lot easier, making the proper decisions, managing risk. He always had speed, strength, agility, physical intensity just needed to manage it all at an NHL level, starting to click.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 March 2021 00:34]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #780589 is a reply to message #780585 ]
Sun, 21 March 2021 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 20 March 2021 23:23

Nurse's Hockey IQ is finally catching up to the speed and complexity of the NHL, starting to play at an NHL level like he was in the OHL for the Greyhounds where he dominated. He's starting to feel it see his reads a lot easier, making the proper decisions, managing risk. He always had speed, strength, agility, physical intensity just needed to manage it all at an NHL level, starting to click.

^^^ This. I was starting to lose confidence that it would click for him. You always have to wait extra long for your Dmen to mature. If he fully develops a NHL D mind, then his physical tools are going to be such a huge edge for him.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #781526 is a reply to message #780285 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ShamrockIce @TheOilKnight

For D-men:

12 goals (#1 in NHL)
11 EVS goals (#1 in NHL)
22 EV PTS (#1 in NHL)
+22 (2nd in NHL)
25:37 TOI/GP (4th in NHL)
2:32/game PK time.
=
Legit Norris Candidate.

Praise for whatever MacT ate that sent him running to the can at the 2013 draft.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #781527 is a reply to message #781526 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 13:56

For D-men:

12 goals (#1 in NHL)
11 EVS goals (#1 in NHL)
22 EV PTS (#1 in NHL)
+22 (2nd in NHL)
=
Legit Norris Candidate.

Praise for whatever MacT ate that sent him running to the can at the 2013 draft.

As bad as MacT was in his GM position, he certainly struck gold in his 2013/2014 draft pick selections....

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #781529 is a reply to message #781527 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 16:01

For D-men:

12 goals (#1 in NHL)
11 EVS goals (#1 in NHL)
22 EV PTS (#1 in NHL)
+22 (2nd in NHL)
=
Legit Norris Candidate.

As bad as MacT was in his GM position, he certainly struck gold in his 2013/2014 draft pick selections....

Yet despite those stats he barely even gets a mention when it comes to discussion of the Norris. There was a poll a while back about Norris candidates, and Nurse came in around 20th or so. Not saying he should win it by any means, but he's having a far better season than many in the media give him credit for.

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #781532 is a reply to message #781529 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 13:30

For D-men:

12 goals (#1 in NHL)
11 EVS goals (#1 in NHL)
22 EV PTS (#1 in NHL)
+22 (2nd in NHL)
=
Legit Norris Candidate.

Yet despite those stats he barely even gets a mention when it comes to discussion of the Norris. There was a poll a while back about Norris candidates, and Nurse came in around 20th or so. Not saying he should win it by any means, but he's having a far better season than many in the media give him credit for.

The Norris seems to have become a lifetime achievement award for D. I bet lots of voters are looking for reasons to give one to John Carlson this year.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #781535 is a reply to message #781532 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 13:34

For D-men:

12 goals (#1 in NHL)
11 EVS goals (#1 in NHL)
22 EV PTS (#1 in NHL)
+22 (2nd in NHL)
=
Legit Norris Candidate.

The Norris seems to have become a lifetime achievement award for D. I bet lots of voters are looking for reasons to give one to John Carlson this year.

Another trophy voted on by the PWHA. As we know from watching Oilers hockey media, many (most?) are lazy. They want to do little more than what you do as a fan. Watch the home team play, watch the highlights on Gamecenter, finish up that article he had half written before the game was 10 minutes old, and then call it a night. Next morning go to practice so you can have a coffee with the boys, send a few tweets promoting last night's article, rinse, repeat.

It's fashionable with the Norris to look at who the guys who are 2nd-5th in defenceman scoring - just assume that whoever is the top scorer is completely selling out for offence. If a player was ever questioned for his commitment to play in his own zone, they're immediately off the list.

I'm curious now - let's have a look at the winners and where they placed:

2019-20 - Roman Josi - 2nd 65 pts (John Carlson - 75)
2018-19 - Mark Giordano - 2nd 74 pts (Brent Burns - 83)
2017-18 - Victor Hedman - 5th 63 pts (John Carlson - 68)
2016-17 - Brent Burns - 1st 76 pts
2015-16 - Drew Doughty - 10th 51 pts (Erik Karlsson - 82)
2014-15 - Erik Karlsson - 1st 66 pts
2013-14 - Duncan Keith - 2nd 61 pts (Erik Karlsson - 74)
2012-13 - PK Subban - tied for 1st 38 pts (Kris Letang - also 38 pts) - shortened season
2011-12 - Erik Karlsson - 1st 78 pts
2010-11 - Nicklas Lidstrom - 2nd 62 points (Lubomir Visnovsky 68)
2009-10 - Duncan Keith - 2nd 69 points (Mike Green 76)
2008-09 - Zdeno Chara - 13th 50 points (Mike Green 73)
2007-08 - Nicklas Lidstrom - 1st 70 points
2006-07 - Nicklas Lidstrom - 5th 62 points (Scott Niedermayer 69)
2005-06 - Scott Niedermayer - 6th 63 points (Nicklas Lidstrom 80)

So in 15 seasons, the 1st place defenceman scorer has won the Norris five times, and the 2nd place guy has also won it five times. There does seem to be a bit of an elder statesman rule - you don't get serious consideration unless you've missed a few times, and sometimes that produces hilarious results, like in the 2006 and 2007 results, which probably should be flipped.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #781537 is a reply to message #781535 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 14:06

For D-men:

12 goals (#1 in NHL)
11 EVS goals (#1 in NHL)
22 EV PTS (#1 in NHL)
+22 (2nd in NHL)
=
Legit Norris Candidate.

Another trophy voted on by the PWHA. As we know from watching Oilers hockey media, many (most?) are lazy. They want to do little more than what you do as a fan. Watch the home team play, watch the highlights on Gamecenter, finish up that article he had half written before the game was 10 minutes old, and then call it a night. Next morning go to practice so you can have a coffee with the boys, send a few tweets promoting last night's article, rinse, repeat.

It's fashionable with the Norris to look at who the guys who are 2nd-5th in defenceman scoring - just assume that whoever is the top scorer is completely selling out for offence. If a player was ever questioned for his commitment to play in his own zone, they're immediately off the list.

2012-13 - PK Subban - tied for 1st 38 pts (Kris Letang - also 38 pts) - shortened season

So in 15 seasons, the 1st place defenceman scorer has won the Norris five times, and the 2nd place guy has also won it five times. There does seem to be a bit of an elder statesman rule - you don't get serious consideration unless you've missed a few times, and sometimes that produces hilarious results, like in the 2006 and 2007 results, which probably should be flipped.

Doughty's 2016 win was the height of the career achievement award deal for me. He won 2 cups. It was just his turn and they really took a dump on a lot of players to give him that Norris. Burns is 100% a sell out for offense guy but it was just his turn the next year. Hedman, Gio, Josi, all guys that were due after years of good play.

Carlson has been screwed around a bit now. I think he's due. Probably needs to get his +/- up though.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #781540 is a reply to message #781537 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 14:12

Adam wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 14:06

For D-men:

12 goals (#1 in NHL)
11 EVS goals (#1 in NHL)
22 EV PTS (#1 in NHL)
+22 (2nd in NHL)
=
Legit Norris Candidate.

Doughty's 2016 win was the height of the career achievement award deal for me. He won 2 cups. It was just his turn and they really took a dump on a lot of players to give him that Norris. Burns is 100% a sell out for offense guy but it was just his turn the next year. Hedman, Gio, Josi, all guys that were due after years of good play.

Carlson has been screwed around a bit now. I think he's due. Probably needs to get his +/- up though.

Yeah - I think they sensed (correctly, as it turns out) that if they didn't give it to Doughty that year, the chances of him being in the conversation were probably slipping away. 30 points is a pretty tremendous gap.

I do think it's funny that if you're the second highest scorer you have equal odds of winning the trophy as the first. They generally want to give it to someone who's producing but if you produce TOO much then you're penalized for it.

And if you have an absolute beast of a season and you're not considered a perennial candidate? Good luck. Visnovsky was 4th in both overall voting and 1st place votes in 2011 behind Lidstrom, Weber and Chara. There wasn't a lot of appetite to give it to someone having a spectacular year.

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #782924 is a reply to message #781537 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Carlson sitting in third in defenceman scoring, trying to make it easy for the NHL to pick him. That -5 though is a tough nut to crack. Could media guys excuse it based on tough minutes?

What do you bet that NHL defenceman scoring leader Adam Fox isn't gping to crack the top three in voting?

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #783040 is a reply to message #782924 ]
Sun, 18 April 2021 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 16:10

Carlson sitting in third in defenceman scoring, trying to make it easy for the NHL to pick him. That -5 though is a tough nut to crack. Could media guys excuse it based on tough minutes?

What do you bet that NHL defenceman scoring leader Adam Fox isn't gping to crack the top three in voting?

Carlson had a 4 point game to take the lead!

Then follows it up with a 0 point -5 game icon_lol

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #781538 is a reply to message #780285 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think it’s justifiable that Nurse is at least in the convo.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Darnell Nurse [message #781543 is a reply to message #781538 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 17:21

I think it’s justifiable that Nurse is at least in the convo.

An OT winner against the greatest team of all time might go quite a way to help that. Tim Micallef today on Sportsnet talked about just that - Nurse for Norris. I could see it gain some traction in the Eastern media.

On the one hand, would be great to have our first Norris in almost 40 years, on the other, contract negotiations would be a little less fun for Holland.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #47)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca