F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Oilers shopping Talbot?Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730603 is a reply to message #730602 ]
Thu, 14 February 2019 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

I think the suggestion was the Oilers would take back Brian Elliot.He comes with a lower cap hit than Talbot ($2,750,000) and is currently on a rehab stint in the AHL. I just don't know if Philadelphia would be one of the 10 teams on Talbot's no trade list.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730610 is a reply to message #730603 ]
Thu, 14 February 2019 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 14 February 2019 08:19

I think the suggestion was the Oilers would take back Brian Elliot.He comes with a lower cap hit than Talbot ($2,750,000) and is currently on a rehab stint in the AHL. I just don't know if Philadelphia would be one of the 10 teams on Talbot's no trade list.

Dreger has tweeted as such, not on Elliot but oilers and flyers.

Word is the Oilers and Flyers are in trade discussions on Cam Talbot. Could be preliminary, but they’re definitely talking.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730616 is a reply to message #730603 ]
Thu, 14 February 2019 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 14 February 2019 07:19

I hope there's a draft pick there too. Just flipping goalies on expiring deals doesn't do much for the team...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730618 is a reply to message #730616 ]
Thu, 14 February 2019 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 14 February 2019 10:21

I hope there's a draft pick there too. Just flipping goalies on expiring deals doesn't do much for the team...

There might be but it most likely will be going to Philadelphia as they know we have a cash crunch and have us over the barrel.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730621 is a reply to message #730618 ]
Thu, 14 February 2019 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mullet wrote on Thu, 14 February 2019 10:28

There might be but it most likely will be going to Philadelphia as they know we have a cash crunch and have us over the barrel.

We really only have a couple hundred grand issue that is easily managed without losing a trade. If the Oilers do something that helps another team without helping us simply because they don't want to demote two guys? That would be yet another indication of how bad this management team is.

We aren't over a barrel here unless we put ourselves on it. Manning and either Petrovic or Brodziak to the minors and the Sekera crunch disappears.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730623 is a reply to message #730621 ]
Thu, 14 February 2019 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 14 February 2019 11:02

We really only have a couple hundred grand issue that is easily managed without losing a trade. If the Oilers do something that helps another team without helping us simply because they don't want to demote two guys? That would be yet another indication of how bad this management team is.

We aren't over a barrel here unless we put ourselves on it. Manning and either Petrovic or Brodziak to the minors and the Sekera crunch disappears.

Exactly this. I'm not sure if the Oilers really know or care of things they can do like this.

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730625 is a reply to message #730623 ]
Thu, 14 February 2019 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Thu, 14 February 2019 11:20

Adam wrote on Thu, 14 February 2019 11:02

Exactly this. I'm not sure if the Oilers really know or care of things they can do like this.

They have never shown themselves to be world-class problem solvers.

They do have a lot of Cup rings though*

*(None won as management)

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730626 is a reply to message #730623 ]
Thu, 14 February 2019 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

It looks like the decision on when Sekera omes back to Edmonton has been deferred to after the coming weekend.

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7C twcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

"Andrej Sekera will remain with Condors for two more games on his conditioning stint. Buys the Oilers a bit of time to find room"

NHL Trade deadline is coming up Monday, February 25. Crazy stuff happens then. It shouldn't be a problem for the Oilers to ship one or two of their over-paid, under-performerers to Bakersfield.

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730676 is a reply to message #730603 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/report-flyers-want-to-trade-elliott-for-t albot-1.1258204

"Elliott, like Sekera, is currently on long-term injured reserve, but was loaned to the AHL affiliate Lehigh Valley Phantoms on Tuesday to begin a "long-anticipated" conditioning stint. The 33-year-old has been out since Nov. 15 due to a lower-body injury.

He has a 6-7 record this season with a .911 save percentage and a 2.59 goals-against average in 14 games. He is one of seven goaltenders to start a game for the Flyers this season, three of whom remain of the active roster – Carter Hart, Anthony Stolarz and Mike McKenna – while Michal Neuvirth is on injured reserve."

As much as I was hoping Talbot would turn things around this season, it just won't happen (although I think the Oiler team in front of him has hung him out to dry on numerous occasions just like they have Koskinen).

Talbot for Elliot looks like a win-win to me.

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730685 is a reply to message #723483 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Soooo insider trading last night says the likely return being discussed for Talbot is Anthony Stolarz... not Brian Elliot. Though Dreger reports deal is at a stand still, I assume due to Gretzky not being too willing to include a high enough pick.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/131368/anthony-stolarz

Would save significant cap and Stolarz is RFA at season’s end.

Would be a pretty neat deal if it occurs, pending what would have to be included with Talbot.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730716 is a reply to message #730685 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 09:40

Soooo insider trading last night says the likely return being discussed for Talbot is Anthony Stolarz... not Brian Elliot. Though Dreger reports deal is at a stand still, I assume due to Gretzky not being too willing to include a high enough pick.

Would be a pretty neat deal if it occurs, pending what would have to be included with Talbot.

If that happens, it better be Philly with the additional pick. You're talking about an NHL netminder for a prospect with a .901 save percentage in the AHL and a cup of coffee in the NHL.

And we DO NOT NEED THE CAP SAVINGS. Sekera's return can be managed simply by demoting Manning and one other player - be it Brodziak or Petrovic or any other number of underperformers.

If the Oilers give up an asset in order to get rid of Talbot, it will be the height of stupidity. Yell that from the rooftops though because it may be the only way to keep the Oilers from doing something dumb. "It's just the price we had to pay!"

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730723 is a reply to message #730716 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 12:42

If that happens, it better be Philly with the additional pick. You're talking about an NHL netminder for a prospect with a .901 save percentage in the AHL and a cup of coffee in the NHL.

And we DO NOT NEED THE CAP SAVINGS. Sekera's return can be managed simply by demoting Manning and one other player - be it Brodziak or Petrovic or any other number of underperformers.

If the Oilers give up an asset in order to get rid of Talbot, it will be the height of stupidity. Yell that from the rooftops though because it may be the only way to keep the Oilers from doing something dumb. "It's just the price we had to pay!"

But it’s the Oilers we’re talking about here. You truly believe they know they don’t have to have 23 players on the active roster?

Also, as early as two weeks ago there was ‘no market for Talbot’, a UFA at years end who the team clearly is ready to move from with the Koskinen extension.

We’re not making the playoffs. They/we will need a backup next season and Stolarz, as long as he doesn’t play 30 minutes a game 12 more times this season(IIRC), is an RFA at season’s end, is relatively young in goalie age, will be cheap and can compete for that role while giving us something in return for an asset we know won’t be back next season.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730724 is a reply to message #730716 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oiler76  is currently offline Oiler76

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 10:42

Agree on all points. I think if Chia is the GM this trade would have been completed and we would have sent a 2nd round pick with Talbot to Philly for a 7th rounder.

Gretzky probably understands that demoting Manning will get with the cap space he needs for Sekera and is waiting for the right deal, knowing teams will get more desparate closer to the deadline.

I think we are seeing how an GM with only half a brain operates and it's hard to understand after the last 4 seasons icon_biggrin

" The Vancouver Canucks: Celebrating Second Round Losses for 50 years!"

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730908 is a reply to message #730724 ]
Sat, 16 February 2019 11:11 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oiler76 wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 11:56

Adam wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 10:42

Agree on all points. I think if Chia is the GM this trade would have been completed and we would have sent a 2nd round pick with Talbot to Philly for a 7th rounder.

Gretzky probably understands that demoting Manning will get with the cap space he needs for Sekera and is waiting for the right deal, knowing teams will get more desparate closer to the deadline.

I think we are seeing how an GM with only half a brain operates and it's hard to understand after the last 4 seasons icon_biggrin

Chia likes does Talbot 50% retained for Elliote.

Then we actually end up adding 300k more salary that we need to get rid of to recall Sekera :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers shopping Talbot? [message #730742 is a reply to message #730685 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

Not sure what the Oilers gain with Stolarz. The organization is already bursting with goaltending prospects, and there are very few starting spots. Adding another hurts somebody else growth.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:If you were the new GM
Next Topic:Friedman saying Koskinen re-signing 3 yr 4.5M AAV
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca