This day on June 22
Acquired: David Oliver (1991) Martin Rucinsky (1991) Tyler Wright (1991) Boyd Devereaux (1996) Chris Hajt (1996) Fernando Pisani (1996) Tom Poti (1996) Matt Greene (2002) Jarret Stoll (2002) Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers (2002) Kyle Brodziak (2003) Mathieu Roy (2003) Troy Bodie (2003) David Rohlfs (2003) Josef Hrabal (2003) Sam Gagner (2007) Alex Plante (2007) Riley Nash (2007)
Departed: Tyler Wright (1996) Jochen Hecht (2002)

Happy Birthday To: alleykatt, XCubedAttire, jermacg, ztacy, Jarvis Eastman, dogrocks44

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers [message #714560]
Sat, 12 May 2018 13:41 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

https://mapleleafsnation.com/2018/05/11/kyle-dubas-needs-to- get-on-the-phone-with-peter-chiarelli-immediately/?utm_sourc e=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The worst part of this article, of course, is that it's all true. Chiarelli is desperate. He will want to make a splash. And he's shown historically that he's really, really bad at this. The article may be a little tongue in cheek, but it is probably really good advice for Dubas (or any other GM for that matter). Stay close to Chia, keep saying no to all his proposals and eventually he'll throw out something so ridiculous you'll not be able to say no. It can make your career or keep you employed through several other managerial errors.

Congrats Oilers game. We now know what it must have been like as an Islander fan living through the Milbury era.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers [message #714566 is a reply to message #714560 ]
Sat, 12 May 2018 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Fingers crossed that Dubas ends up being a dud. Hope Lucky Lou really is leaving to another org like some rumors suggest (Islanders I think?).

I want our pain inflicted on others.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers [message #714567 is a reply to message #714566 ]
Sat, 12 May 2018 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 12 May 2018 14:08

Fingers crossed that Dubas ends up being a dud. Hope Lucky Lou really is leaving to another org like some rumors suggest (Islanders I think?).

I want our pain inflicted on others.

I kind of anticipate a Dubas - Babcock power struggle, tbh. And if so, I'll grab the popcorn.

Re: Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers [message #714580 is a reply to message #714560 ]
Sun, 13 May 2018 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilInMtl  is currently offline OilInMtl

No Cups

I don't intend to try to pretend to be original, think I read it on Twitter (maybe Travis Yost), but it could have been here. Anyway, the idea was:

"How to be a good NHL GM
1) Figure out who the bad GMs are
2) Call them often"

I think Chia is all figured out. A decade ago. Yay Oilers.

Re: Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers [message #714589 is a reply to message #714580 ]
Mon, 14 May 2018 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Dubas is another young, hardcore advanced stats GM. Arizona hired Chayka who is a bit similar to Dubas and so far he's been lousy. Dubas has a lot more to work with so we shall see.

Oilers management has brought this on themselves so I have no sympathy for them. When it comes to the Leafs, I don't see them having anything the Oilers would want or need. The biggest Oilers need and they have said it is they need a right shot dman. The Leafs don't have any. The author of the article seems to think the Oilers need some wingers. We all think they need some better depth wingers but Chia himself said in his presser he thought his wingers were fine for the most part. I do agree that Chia has made mistakes and potentially painted himself into a corner. He appears to be a guy that likes to make things happen and is fully prepared to do whatever it takes to get a player he wants and he will overpay to do that if needed. But unless he has suddenly completely changed his mind, he doesn't see wingers as a serious need so I doubt he will blow his wad out of desperation for wingers.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 May 2018 09:37]

Re: Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers [message #714591 is a reply to message #714589 ]
Mon, 14 May 2018 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 08:58

Dubas is another young, hardcore advanced stats GM. Arizona hired Chayka who is a bit similar to Dubas and so far he's been lousy. Dubas has a lot more to work with so we shall see.

When it comes to the article. I know the currently the popular and easy thing to do when you have no material when you want to write a hockey article is to kick the Oilers management in the ribs and make them the butt of another joke. Oilers management has brought this on themselves so I have no sympathy for them. When it comes to the Leafs, I don't see them having anything the Oilers would want or need. The biggest Oilers need and they have said it is they need a right shot dman. The Leafs don't have any. The author of the article seems to think the Oilers need some wingers. We all think they need some better depth wingers but Chia himself said in his presser he thought his wingers were fine for the most part. I do agree that Chia has made mistakes and potentially painted himself into a corner. He appears to be a guy that likes to make things happen and is fully prepared to do whatever it takes to get a player he wants and he will overpay to do that if needed. But unless he has suddenly completely changed his mind, he doesn't see wingers as a serious need so I doubt he will blow his wad out of desperation for wingers.

It's a bad comparison to simply say Chayka's name and Dubas' name and think they're somehow linked because they both happen to use analytics.

You may as well be saying that Glen Sather, and Ron Francis are equivalents as GMs...after all, they were both former players.

And don't underestimate the Oilers ability to blunder. Who thought that Ryan Strome was a big need last year? No one had on-the-bubble defensive defenceman as a roster hole to be patched before the Reinhart deal.

Even Adam Larsson - most people were predicting the Oilers were going to target a defenceman that could put up points - basically the kind they're still looking for - when Chia decides we needed to trade one of the best wingers in the game straight-up for someone inferior.

Yes, the Oilers are an easy punchline, but it doesn't mean it's not a legitimate issue for the team. They're going to try to make one big splash trade this year, and it's a pretty good bet that Chia's going to get fleeced again. That's no joke.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers [message #714590 is a reply to message #714560 ]
Mon, 14 May 2018 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 12 May 2018 13:41

Congrats Oilers game. We now know what it must have been like as an Islander fan living through the Milbury era.

Except for us, we have experienced Chiarelli's poor trading record and contract negotiation, through MacT's poor handling of assets to Tamby's tenure of indecision. To my eye it's been worse than Milbury, Chia is as close to Milbury and the other two, well let's just say they sent us way back.

Add the fuddy duddy's of KLowe, Howson, and MacT with a plash of Wayner, to Katz's lovin the 80's melody and you have concoction of a really poor team.

I don't want to hate Wayne and for that matter Keith. However reading the tea leaves and it's looking more than likely KGretz will be the new GM AC (after Chia).

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers [message #714592 is a reply to message #714590 ]
Mon, 14 May 2018 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 09:33

Except for us, we have experienced Chiarelli's poor trading record and contract negotiation, through MacT's poor handling of assets to Tamby's tenure of indecision. To my eye it's been worse than Milbury, Chia is as close to Milbury and the other two, well let's just say they sent us way back.

Add the fuddy duddy's of KLowe, Howson, and MacT with a plash of Wayner, to Katz's lovin the 80's melody and you have concoction of a really poor team.

I don't want to hate Wayne and for that matter Keith. However reading the tea leaves and it's looking more than likely KGretz will be the new GM AC (after Chia).

What do you bet that when the time comes to give walking papers to Mr. Chiarelli, the Oilers do not run a hiring process at all before simply hiring from within?

Re: Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers [message #714593 is a reply to message #714592 ]
Mon, 14 May 2018 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 09:46

What do you bet that when the time comes to give walking papers to Mr. Chiarelli, the Oilers do not run a hiring process at all before simply hiring from within?

Is it fair to say that Lowe has been the Oilers' best GM in two decades?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.

2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid hoping it's Drain-O.

Re: Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers [message #714594 is a reply to message #714593 ]
Mon, 14 May 2018 10:48 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 10:40

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 09:46

Is it fair to say that Lowe has been the Oilers' best GM in two decades?

Sather left the Oilers in November of 2000 so no. The second best GM was probably Tambo. He didn't do anything, but that means he didn't actively make the team worse like Lowe, MacTavish, and Chiarelli. Hot take.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/sather-says-goodbye-to-edmon ton-1.199197

sigh.

Quote:

Oilers' management has already talked to head coach Kevin Lowe about assuming Sather's role as team GM.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 May 2018 10:49]

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Previous Topic:What happened to Oscar?
Next Topic:Oilers select 6th rnd (#153) - TYLER VESEL
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca