F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Kris Russell
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Kris Russell [message #686687]
Mon, 06 February 2017 12:30 Go to next message
rrathel716  is currently offline rrathel716

No Cups

What we know about him is obvious and what we don't like is obvious too, the question is do we resign him. The answer is very easy if we don't find an upgrade so yes resign him but if we can pull a miracle and pry Shattenkirk then I am sorry but he is gone. If we could have Shattenkirk and Stone then I would use him and trade him to an east club for a pick I use to grab Stone or Shattenkirk. We need help on defense and the sooner the better, guys will be banged up so we need more stability on defense in order to get ready for the playoff push

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Kris Russell [message #686689 is a reply to message #686687 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

I'm more inclined to say this team's greatest need is not defense anymore but secondary scoring. The guys relied upon for this are not performing.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Kris Russell [message #686707 is a reply to message #686689 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 13:05

I'm more inclined to say this team's greatest need is not defense anymore but secondary scoring. The guys relied upon for this are not performing.

I think until the Oilers coaches figure out the reasons for the lack of secondary scoring, shuffling the pieces isn't going to be enough. We saw last year as well - McLellan's teams in Edmonton seem to be one-line driven. Whether that's deployment because he's giving all the push to one group, or because he's doing something weird systems-wise, or because he's over-emphasizing defending, or whatever else, when you have multiple guys who've scored before who all aren't scoring now, I think there's more to it than just guys slumping. I also don't believe that suddenly all these players suck much more than they did in the past.

If I'm in that seat, I'm inclined to swap Draisaitl for Nuge. See if #93 starts scoring with McDavid, and see if Draisaitl can take his confidence to the second line and ignite something there.

And if I'm the GM, I'm encouraging my coach to examine his tactics and see if anything there is the issue.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Kris Russell [message #686691 is a reply to message #686687 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

I don't think you sign him until July if you do at all.

To be honest, I don't see a long-term fit, and I expect that's what he'll be looking for.

Re: Kris Russell [message #686692 is a reply to message #686691 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Chia is a smart guy. Even if he really wants to resign Russell, I think he will wait till after the expansion draft. I believe the expansion draft takes place between June 18-20 with the selections being announced June 21. That still gives the Oilers 9 days to resign Russell if they really want him. It makes ZERO sense to resign Russell anytime before the expansion draft, then you have to protect him and leave someone else exposed.

Re: Kris Russell [message #686693 is a reply to message #686692 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 12:12

Chia is a smart guy. Even if he really wants to resign Russell, I think he will wait till after the expansion draft. I believe the expansion draft takes place between June 18-20 with the selections being announced June 21. That still gives the Oilers 9 days to resign Russell if they really want him. It makes ZERO sense to resign Russell anytime before the expansion draft, then you have to protect him and leave someone else exposed.

Vegas can talk to him during that time though, still I would wait until after the expansion draft anyway.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Kris Russell [message #686694 is a reply to message #686693 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 13:14

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 12:12

Vegas can talk to him during that time though, still I would wait until after the expansion draft anyway.

But would a Kris Russell or any free agent want to go play for Vegas to get their head kicked in for years? Money obviously talks and every guy is different so if Vegas throws insane money at a player, some will go there but there are lots of guys that won't. Good example. Years ago, the Oilers went after Hossa and offered him big money. He turned the Oilers down to sign with the Hawks for less money but he had a chance to win.

If I am a player of the age of Russell - high 20's - Vegas is going to lose a lot of games as it takes a long time to build a team so unless winning doesn't matter to or Vegas grossly overpays me, I avoid them for at least 5 yrs.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 February 2017 13:34]

Re: Kris Russell [message #686697 is a reply to message #686694 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

I wouldn't offer him any more than a one year deal on a similar contract to what he's getting now.
Ideally less though, because I could see Nurse and maybe even Benning passing him on the depth chart, and $3m is a lot of scratch for a bottom pairing guy.

Re: Kris Russell [message #686704 is a reply to message #686697 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 13:37

I wouldn't offer him any more than a one year deal on a similar contract to what he's getting now.
Ideally less though, because I could see Nurse and maybe even Benning passing him on the depth chart, and $3m is a lot of scratch for a bottom pairing guy.

Chiarelli will offer him a 3 year $4 million a year contract for sure. I would be stunned if Russell signed for anything less. If he does sign for less here... great!

Re: Kris Russell [message #686705 is a reply to message #686704 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 15:53

Chiarelli will offer him a 3 year $4 million a year contract for sure. I would be stunned if Russell signed for anything less. If he does sign for less here... great!

As Craig MacTavish would say, you can only have so many $4MM price point defencemen. Good teams don't lock up mediocre players to expensive long-term deals. That would be a disaster.

For all the praise he's showered with, I'd like to think the hockey minds at the Oilers realize he was a stop gap for this year, but he's not an ideal fit moving forward. We need a spot for an offensive minded powerplay guy...I'm happy to give that guy Russell's.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Kris Russell [message #686706 is a reply to message #686705 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 15:55

As Craig MacTavish would say, you can only have so many $4MM price point defencemen. Good teams don't lock up mediocre players to expensive long-term deals. That would be a disaster.

For all the praise he's showered with, I'd like to think the hockey minds at the Oilers realize he was a stop gap for this year, but he's not an ideal fit moving forward. We need a spot for an offensive minded powerplay guy...I'm happy to give that guy Russell's.

Absolutely we need a QB on the right side, but beside Shattenkirk (who wants stupid money & is a homer for the East) who do you go after? Russell is no PP QB that's for sure, but if you don't sign him and guys like Benning don't make the progressional step up next year (which is very realistic for young Dmen in their sophmore year) then we are thin on D again which is unacceptable.
I think he is a stop gap as well, but I think POHO thinks highly of him. I would offer a 2 year $7 million contract and see if he bites after the expansion draft. Don't think Russell does, but one never knows.

Re: Kris Russell [message #686710 is a reply to message #686706 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 16:00

Absolutely we need a QB on the right side, but beside Shattenkirk (who wants stupid money & is a homer for the East) who do you go after? Russell is no PP QB that's for sure, but if you don't sign him and guys like Benning don't make the progressional step up next year (which is very realistic for young Dmen in their sophmore year) then we are thin on D again which is unacceptable.
I think he is a stop gap as well, but I think POHO thinks highly of him. I would offer a 2 year $7 million contract and see if he bites after the expansion draft. Don't think Russell does, but one never knows.

Vatanen? Barrie? Trouba? There's going to be players moved this summer for certain. The expansion draft makes it a virtual certainty that some defencemen will trade hands so that a team doesn't lose a high calibre player for nothing.

I think if you don't sign Russell and you strike out on those other guys, then you do what Chiarelli did this year and wait into training camp to see what Kris Russell-like player missed grabbing a seat on the carousel and you pick him up as next year's stop gap.

Re: Kris Russell [message #686714 is a reply to message #686710 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 16:04

Vatanen? Barrie? Trouba? There's going to be players moved this summer for certain. The expansion draft makes it a virtual certainty that some defencemen will trade hands so that a team doesn't lose a high calibre player for nothing.

I think if you don't sign Russell and you strike out on those other guys, then you do what Chiarelli did this year and wait into training camp to see what Kris Russell-like player missed grabbing a seat on the carousel and you pick him up as next year's stop gap.

I don't see the Avs trading Barrie, they are in need of Dmen more than us. Vatenen, maybe but I would think the Ducks trade him out East to a team like Boston or the Habs who are fairly desperate for Dmen. Trouba, ya I like him, but they want a randsome for him. I don't want to trade Nurse at all or Klefbom. Yes that equals the lefty/righty equation, but then you need Trouba to be a top 2 pairing, which he might be, but only had one solid year looking somewhat like one. I'm sure Chiarelli could have had any of those players this past off-season and probably didn't like the price then, so why would he do it this summer.? Those guys might be available before Expansion, but then if we trade for one of them we have to do the 8 players and a goalie protection and lose someone good up front. He may do that, its plausable, but then the forwards start to get a little thin. The expansion draft will be huge to pry some of these guys loose, but then expect to lose a Maroon type player up front.

Re: Kris Russell [message #686720 is a reply to message #686714 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 16:31

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 16:04

I don't see the Avs trading Barrie, they are in need of Dmen more than us. Vatenen, maybe but I would think the Ducks trade him out East to a team like Boston or the Habs who are fairly desperate for Dmen. Trouba, ya I like him, but they want a randsome for him. I don't want to trade Nurse at all or Klefbom. Yes that equals the lefty/righty equation, but then you need Trouba to be a top 2 pairing, which he might be, but only had one solid year looking somewhat like one. I'm sure Chiarelli could have had any of those players this past off-season and probably didn't like the price then, so why would he do it this summer.? Those guys might be available before Expansion, but then if we trade for one of them we have to do the 8 players and a goalie protection and lose someone good up front. He may do that, its plausable, but then the forwards start to get a little thin. The expansion draft will be huge to pry some of these guys loose, but then expect to lose a Maroon type player up front.

Barrie is approaching Schultz-level in Colorado. He was already polarizing before this year - see the Roy/Sakic split as potential evidence - but this year has been a disaster for him. He's still on pace for 39 points, but after scoring 12 and 13 goals the last two years, he's on pace for just 5-6 this year. And he's -27, seven worse than the next lowest Av (Mikko Rantanen).

We've seen first hand here that bad teams often mistakenly blame their best players for failure, and that leads to really bad trades. On top of that, their GM is a guy who has no experience being a GM, and who's made no moves to suggest that he has any aptitude for the job.

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Joe_Sak ic/282

In three years, he's only made one big trade - and that looks like a total disaster. O'Reilly's been pretty good for the Sabres (and was excellent last year), while Grigorenko and Zadorov haven't done much to improve the look of that one. We're hearing rumours that Duchene is on the outs, and that even Landeskog could be dealt. I think there's an excellent chance that Sakic is actively looking for his next mistake and if I'm Chiarelli, I'm calling him every couple days to see what that looks like.

As for the others, Vatanen was healthy scratched once in January. They have Carlyle at coach, which should help to reduce the price on players.

Trouba is looking to be traded still. It's why he took the low cost deal he did...he wants to make it attractive for teams to deal for him.

I'd also look at Philadelphia. They've got a lot of offensive defencemen. Does Ivan Provorov make Gostisbehere redundant? It's worth a phone call!

Also, I happily lose someone up front if it means that we get a good powerplay quarterback. It's just a much, much more important role than whoever we lose would play.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 February 2017 17:10]

Re: Kris Russell [message #686721 is a reply to message #686720 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 18:05

I'd also look at Philadelphia. They've got a lot of offensive defencemen. Does Ivan Provorov make Gostisbehere redundant? It's worth a phone call!

Gostisbehere has now been healthy scratched in 3 straight... perhaps one of those 'change of scenery' scenarios...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Kris Russell [message #686712 is a reply to message #686692 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 13:12

The bolded is what I keep trying to tell myself, but the Oilers media keeps insisting we will sign him soon. I hope they are wrong. They were wrong already about the Oilers signing him ASAP in January, so I guess we'll see.

Signing him with a no trade before the expansion draft honestly would completely shatter my belief in Chia.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Kris Russell [message #686726 is a reply to message #686712 ]
Tue, 07 February 2017 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 16:19

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 13:12

The bolded is what I keep trying to tell myself, but the Oilers media keeps insisting we will sign him soon. I hope they are wrong. They were wrong already about the Oilers signing him ASAP in January, so I guess we'll see.

Signing him with a no trade before the expansion draft honestly would completely shatter my belief in Chia.

When it comes to Oilers rumors, the only guy I take some stock in is Stauffer. He's the mouth piece of the Oilers and I believe they feed him information to leak to the fans. Well before the Hall trade happened, Stauffer was on his show saying he believed one of Hall or Nuge will be traded. I believe he's said he could see them signing Russell and I could be wrong but I haven't heard Stauffer say a contract is coming soon.

If Kris Russell gets signed at some point, I am not going to freak out. He's been solid for the Oilers. For years, the Oilers were lucky to dress 4 actual NHLers a night, this season they dress 6 a night and have an NHLer sitting. I look at the farm, I don't see ready NHLers there. I see a couple of maybes, I see a couple of guys who for a short stint they can probably tread water but if they are in for a long time, you are probably in trouble. Then I look at other really good teams with really good defense and lots of times, they have guys who might be on their 3rd pair but if they get traded, instantly move up into another teams top 4. So I am not rushing to sign Russell. Money and term is important but if they can sign him to a decent contract, I don't know why it's so bad to have a guy like him.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 February 2017 08:41]

Re: Kris Russell [message #686735 is a reply to message #686726 ]
Tue, 07 February 2017 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiler_head  is currently offline oiler_head

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 07:35

If Kris Russell gets signed at some point, I am not going to freak out. He's been solid for the Oilers. For years, the Oilers were lucky to dress 4 actual NHLers a night, this season they dress 6 a night and have an NHLer sitting. I look at the farm, I don't see ready NHLers there. I see a couple of maybes, I see a couple of guys who for a short stint they can probably tread water but if they are in for a long time, you are probably in trouble. Then I look at other really good teams with really good defense and lots of times, they have guys who might be on their 3rd pair but if they get traded, instantly move up into another teams top 4. So I am not rushing to sign Russell. Money and term is important but if they can sign him to a decent contract, I don't know why it's so bad to have a guy like him.

Couldn't have said this better. The team finally has a decent D-core such that the team can look at other pressing needs.

Go Oilers!!!

Re: Kris Russell [message #686736 is a reply to message #686735 ]
Tue, 07 February 2017 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne is currently online PlusOne

3 Cups

oiler_head wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 13:49

Couldn't have said this better. The team finally has a decent D-core such that the team can look at other pressing needs.

I think if they give him any more than 1 year at his current money it is too much. While the Oilers D is much better I think some of the opinions on Russell might be skewed upwards by how bad our team was for a decade.
He is decent at some things but also below average on others. When he has a bad game he has a REALLY bad game.

As far as thinking the defence "box is checked" I heavily disagree. We still have an average group and will need to imrpove it, not overpay an average player. We need a backup goalie, a RW and to re-sign numerous players who wont be cheap and are WAY more important than Russell. He is what he is and is a stop gap. For next year we can afford a one year overpay but anything more than a 1 yr deal will become an issue for a guy that should be our 4th or 5th best dman

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Kris Russell [message #686740 is a reply to message #686736 ]
Tue, 07 February 2017 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 15:04

I think if they give him any more than 1 year at his current money it is too much. While the Oilers D is much better I think some of the opinions on Russell might be skewed upwards by how bad our team was for a decade.
He is decent at some things but also below average on others. When he has a bad game he has a REALLY bad game.

As far as thinking the defence "box is checked" I heavily disagree. We still have an average group and will need to imrpove it, not overpay an average player. We need a backup goalie, a RW and to re-sign numerous players who wont be cheap and are WAY more important than Russell. He is what he is and is a stop gap. For next year we can afford a one year overpay but anything more than a 1 yr deal will become an issue for a guy that should be our 4th or 5th best dman

I appreciate Russell's effort out there, but I do think he is "more of the same" with this D group. We badly need an offensively able RHD in our top 4. Klef/Larsson/Sek/Russell as our top 4 is not going to get it done against top teams consistently IMO. Giving Russell some 5M deal is really going to hold us back from creating a truly top end D group. If Russell is willing to take something around 3M though, that would be great. He's a good 3rd pairing guy and can step up to the 2nd pairing as needed.

My original comment though wasn't saying don't sign Russell. I just mean don't sign him now, and definitely not with a not trade clause forcing us to protect him in the expansion draft. Pitchforks out for Chia if he gives Russell a NTC/NMC deal before the expansion draft.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kris Russell [message #686742 is a reply to message #686740 ]
Tue, 07 February 2017 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 15:52

I appreciate Russell's effort out there, but I do think he is "more of the same" with this D group. We badly need an offensively able RHD in our top 4. Klef/Larsson/Sek/Russell as our top 4 is not going to get it done against top teams consistently IMO. Giving Russell some 5M deal is really going to hold us back from creating a truly top end D group. If Russell is willing to take something around 3M though, that would be great. He's a good 3rd pairing guy and can step up to the 2nd pairing as needed.

My original comment though wasn't saying don't sign Russell. I just mean don't sign him now, and definitely not with a not trade clause forcing us to protect him in the expansion draft. Pitchforks out for Chia if he gives Russell a NTC/NMC deal before the expansion draft.

$3M for a third pairing blueliner is too much though (see: Mark Fayne, Andrew Ference). The guys I want on my third pairing are the cheap, young, unflashy guys... in the case of the Oilers, I think Brandon Davidson and Matt Benning are a perfect third pairing. Combined total of just over $2M, both compliment each other, can play against good players, and can move up the lineup for short periods if necessary.

So if Davidson and Benning are your third pairing, and you want to add a Top-4 PP guy, where does that leave Russell? And that's without factoring in Darnell Nurse.

I actually have defended Russell somewhat this year, and have been able to appreciate what he's brought... some veteran experience that has allowed guys like Davidson, Benning, and Nurse to play a more appropriate role for developing players. He's been okay, but I just don't see where he fits into the Oilers long-term moving forward.

Re: Kris Russell [message #686743 is a reply to message #686742 ]
Tue, 07 February 2017 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 16:41

$3M for a third pairing blueliner is too much though (see: Mark Fayne, Andrew Ference). The guys I want on my third pairing are the cheap, young, unflashy guys... in the case of the Oilers, I think Brandon Davidson and Matt Benning are a perfect third pairing. Combined total of just over $2M, both compliment each other, can play against good players, and can move up the lineup for short periods if necessary.

So if Davidson and Benning are your third pairing, and you want to add a Top-4 PP guy, where does that leave Russell? And that's without factoring in Darnell Nurse.

I actually have defended Russell somewhat this year, and have been able to appreciate what he's brought... some veteran experience that has allowed guys like Davidson, Benning, and Nurse to play a more appropriate role for developing players. He's been okay, but I just don't see where he fits into the Oilers long-term moving forward.

I think the cost control is pretty good in our D group though once we get rid of Fayne, Ference. We have our 1st pairing for the next 4 years locked up for a combined price of ~8.3M. Sek is locked in for 5.5. Maybe we add a good 2nd pairing RHD for 6M? A rock solid top 4 for ~20M is great.

I think that lets us spend 3M on a solid 3rd pairing guy that we know can step up in the lineup. Although, I wish Russell was a RHD. Maybe there are better options. Nurse-Benning is actually what i would like to see on a 3rd pair. I'm thinking Davidson is done with the Oilers now. Chia may just trade him and not bother with risking losing him in the expansion draft.

I'm honestly just trying to be nice towards Russell :) If we do get a 2nd pair RHD that can play on the PP, he would just be an insurance policy type of signing. i bet he thinks he can get more than 3M on the market.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 February 2017 16:52]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kris Russell [message #686744 is a reply to message #686743 ]
Tue, 07 February 2017 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 16:49

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 16:41

I think the cost control is pretty good in our D group though once we get rid of Fayne, Ference. We have our 1st pairing for the next 4 years locked up for a combined price of ~8.3M. Sek is locked in for 5.5. Maybe we add a good 2nd pairing RHD for 6M? A rock solid top 4 for ~20M is great.

I think that lets us spend 3M on a solid 3rd pairing guy that we know can step up in the lineup. Although, I wish Russell was a RHD. Maybe there are better options. Nurse-Benning is actually what i would like to see on a 3rd pair. I'm thinking Davidson is done with the Oilers now. Chia may just trade him and not bother with risking losing him in the expansion draft.

I'm honestly just trying to be nice towards Russell :) If we do get a 2nd pair RHD that can play on the PP, he would just be an insurance policy type of signing. i bet he thinks he can get more than 3M on the market.

I expect one of Nurse / Davidson is going to be moved (and we'll likely see Oesterle as the #7 next year). Obviously Nurse is the more desirable choice; however, he also holds a lot more value, particularly with being exempt from the expansion draft. He holds a little "extra" value right now because of that. If he could be parlayed into a Top-4 RH defenseman like Vatanen or Myers or Trouba or Barrie, I would consider that long and hard. Let's say that Anaheim makes that deal... a group of Klefbom / Larsson, Sekera / Vatanen, Davidson / Benning would be the best group they've had in a decade.

That's provided Davidson isn't the guy Vegas claims (still leaning towards Maroon or Pouliot being the guy they claim because of all the young defenseman likely to be available). I just think it's a way to add balance to your lineup, capitalize on a unique situation, and potentially trade high for once. Davidson just likely won't bring you much in return.

If not Nurse, I'm not sure who the Oilers can move for that Vatanen-type. It'll be the combination of low salary / cap, expansion-exemption, and upward potential that may draw teams to make that sort of deal.

Re: Kris Russell [message #686745 is a reply to message #686744 ]
Tue, 07 February 2017 19:18 Go to previous message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Not a chance we let Maroon be claimed.
He's been a godsend here.

I do hope Pouliot is taken over Davidson.. but all the same I keep Nurse over Davidson.
I really want Jacob Trouba on this team and if Davidson isn't chosen from Vegas I try and package him up to Winnipeg with a top pick for Trouba and move on from Russell due to the need for the right d.

Previous Topic:Patrick Eaves
Next Topic:Micheal stone *speculation not rumor
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca