This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHLPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817583 is a reply to message #817582 ]
Fri, 03 February 2023 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Fri, 03 February 2023 10:52

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 03 February 2023 08:19

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 16:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 16:31

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 16:26

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 16:09

How do you make the All Star game mean anything to the players?

Serious question. Do you want McD going full out driving the net in an All Star game and risk spraining an ankle or blowing out his knee and maybe be out for the rest of the Oilers season because some Eastern All star hacks him down? I sure don't.

I'd actually prefer McD and Leon not go and just get the time off to rest their bodies for the season.

I get the allstar game is more about all the big name sponsors getting to hang out with the elite players of the NHL. So go ahead and do that. Have the "Allstars" show up and shake hands with who ever CEO and fans of that City. Put them in the skills comp if you want but make the game about rookies. Every team send their rookies.

A simpler solution. Don't hold the All Star game during the regular season. Play it in the summer.

Same scenario. Do you want McD driving the net full speed in an All Star game and have him lose an edge or get Giorando'd and he blows out his knee and is out for 3,4, 5 months in a game that means nothing to the Oilers? I sure don't.

You worry too much about what ifs. McDavid is way more likely to get hurt in a preseason game then an allstar game. Very few people looking to make a name for themselves in a all star game. These guys aren't stupid. They wont take unnecessary risks in a ASG no matter the incentive.

The only players who go to an all star game are the teams best players. The guys who if they get hurt, your team is in trouble. So I worry too much about someone taking out McD. Fine. Do you think the Avs want Makar sprawling out to block a shot in an All Star game and maybe risk breaking a bone?

This thread is about improving the league. So explain to me the value of making the All Star game a super competitive game? So the league does whatever to the All Star game so all the stars are going their max. They are skating as hard as they can, driving the net, finishing every check, blocking shots, getting chippy at every whistle. How does that improve the quality of the game so the regular season is better? So in game 55 or whatever next season on a Tuesday/Wednesday night against a lousy opponent, which is going to happen next year, we can all sit down and go "hey, this is a great game, thank you All Star game for making the league do_______________. So what's in the blank that improving the competitiveness that the All Star game currently lacks, will do to improve the overall game.

Let's keep in mind that the NBA All Star game is for the most part terrible in regards to the quality of the game. It's watching the stars travel their way up and down the court to perform various dunks while defenders kind of sort of reach their hands out to "defend". No one is throwing an elbow in Lebron's jaw to stop him like they do in the regular season. The NFL just got rid of the Pro Bowl game and replaced it with skills competition and flag football. So what are the chances that flag football game is going to be on par competition wise with a Monday Night football game late in the season with playoffs spots on the line? I am going to go out on a limb here and say the fellas in that flag football game probably aren't going as hard or trying to inflict as much punishment to their opponent in the NFL's All Star game. Just a hunch here.

What is your point here? Your worried about someone taking a run at McDavid in a All-Star game which would never happen to begin with. Your worried about Makar theoretically blocking a shot in a All Star game and getting hurt (also would never happen). I guess preseason is out. I mean if you cant stand up to bonafide NHL Allstars playing high skill shiny then we could never risk them having their head getting taken off by some gomer that plays in the ECHL.

The ASG is a chance for the players to just have fun and engage with the fans. We get to see their personalities more then usual. Its more geared towards young fans. Players visit schools in the host cities. If you want hockey played at a playoff pace and intensity. Then just go home. Its not the point.

It can also be quite the boon for the city hosting usually bringing in tens of millions in direct visitor spending locally.

This thread was made to talk about things the NHL can do to improve the NHL product. People have brought up changes to the schedule and start times to make it easier for people to go and watch games because there would be more predictability in the schedule. Rule changes have been brought up to improve play. Changes to review to speed up the game but also increase scoring so goals aren't taken away for incidental things. Continue to monitor goalie gear so they can't cheat.

You brought up things like getting rid of the rink boards that has zero impact on how the game is played and making the All Star game good again because the current format is crap in your opinion. So like I said, I am curious what a better All Star game does to improve the quality of the NHL game? I know that if they keep on the goalies not to cheat, that will improve scoring. I know that if they revise what can be reviewed and their review process, they will speed up the game and probably result in more goals counting that should. But I don't know what improving the All Star game does to improve the regular season so I asked the question to you.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817555 is a reply to message #817553 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 16:09

How do you make the All Star game mean anything to the players?

Serious question. Do you want McD going full out driving the net in an All Star game and risk spraining an ankle or blowing out his knee and maybe be out for the rest of the Oilers season because some Eastern All star hacks him down? I sure don't.

I'd actually prefer McD and Leon not go and just get the time off to rest their bodies for the season.

I get the allstar game is more about all the big name sponsors getting to hang out with the elite players of the NHL. So go ahead and do that. Have the "Allstars" show up and shake hands with who ever CEO and fans of that City. Put them in the skills comp if you want but make the game about rookies. Every team send their rookies.

A simpler solution. Don't hold the All Star game during the regular season. Play it in the summer. Or even pro bowl it and have it a few days before the cup final starts. Players from those two teams being exempt of course.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817565 is a reply to message #817521 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teammate Avry  is currently offline Teammate Avry

No Cups

Good thread:
-Absolutely we need a limit on reviews, max 1 minute, we cannot have reviews going 3-5 minutes and in some cases even longer than that. Who wants that much downtime after a call? Restart play ASAP after a review/challenge has started.

-Agreed with the idea of letting the #1 seed pick their first-round opponent but only the #1 seed in thE East and West, not the 2 or 3 seeds, really makes it feel massive for going into the playoffs as the best team in the conferences. Also, imagine the drama if whomever they pick beats them???

A guy who if you turned into a gumbo is a wild mix of sports podcaster/TV reporter and sports writer.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817579 is a reply to message #817565 ]
Fri, 03 February 2023 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Teammate Avry wrote on Thu, 02 February 2023 18:33

-Agreed with the idea of letting the #1 seed pick their first-round opponent but only the #1 seed in thE East and West, not the 2 or 3 seeds, really makes it feel massive for going into the playoffs as the best team in the conferences. Also, imagine the drama if whomever they pick beats them???

If I'm coaching a team that just scraped in, this is my lifeline. If you're in consideration to get picked, you're playing a team that finished 20+ pts higher than you regardless, and you're the big underdog. "This team specifically picked US because they think we're easy." We've witnessed #8 take out #1. I'd say the motivation factor might be better for the lower team than the ability to choose is for the #1 team.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817573 is a reply to message #817521 ]
Thu, 02 February 2023 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Don't shove the damn Tkachuk family down out throats ever again pls.

I always find everything to do with these things super boring. Last thing interesting aside from McDavid going for fastest skater was probably John Scott.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817581 is a reply to message #817521 ]
Fri, 03 February 2023 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Today's fix for the NHL is focused on the bottom of the standings.

I consider myself as something of an expert in understanding terrible teams, having watched the terrible Oilers play terrible hockey for basically my entire adult life (at least we're not Sabres fans). There is something uniquely soul sucking about watching a terrible team play out the season and I would imagine playing out the string isn't great for players and management.

So I'm proposing a point in the regular season where the bottom 8 teams are dropped and an extension of the regular season for the top 24 teams. Here's the math:

Currently each team plays:
2*16=32 games against out of conference teams
3*8=24 games against in conference, out of division teams
3*7+3=24 games against division teams (I hate this)
80 games total / team
1280 total NHL games

Option 1
16*2=32 games against out of conference teams
15*3=45 games against in conference teams
77 games for each team then drop the bottom 2 teams
5*1=5 extra games against division
82 games total
1282 total NHL games

Option 2
24*4=48 games out of division
7*4=28 games against division
76 games for each team then drop the bottom 2 teams
5*1=5 games against the top 6 of your division
81 games total
1276 total NHL games

This thought was driven by watching the Oilers games against San Jose and Anaheim a couple of weeks ago. I have no interest in watching or thinking about those teams for the rest of the season. Honestly, I'd love to drop them now, but I know that's unreasonable. Under either scenario or the current scenario I make the last 7 games of the full regular season against the division. They kind of do this now, but I'd make it a formal element of the schedule. I think either scenario generates more revenue for the league and creates a more interesting / competitive end of season. This also has the bonus element of creating an obvious and consistent end point for fantasy hockey, which does drive a lot of attention to sporting leagues now.

I'm not in favor of adding another playoff round, like in the bubble playoff year, because it would be hard to do in the divisional format, which I prefer. Now, when I talk about league expansion on Sunday ... we'll have to look at the playoffs.

tl;dr: I want to drop the worst 2 teams from each division at the end of the schedule because they're awful to watch. I hope to create the potential for a lot of movement within the standings for the top 6 over the last 12 games of the season.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817586 is a reply to message #817521 ]
Fri, 03 February 2023 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I know its not cool to enjoy the all star game, but I generally enjoy the skills competition.

But I gotta say, PK Subban fell flat a lot for me. Bieksa is so much better at player to player banter.

Clean house or bust

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817588 is a reply to message #817521 ]
Sun, 05 February 2023 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Worst All-Star game weekend I've seen.. skills format getting worse.. NHL couldn't even get the game jersey colours right.. everyone looked the same out there.. Don't think I'd pay a tarnished loonie to watch that game live.

However one highlight was McDavid going 8 for 8 on the target shoot .. if they are going to have separate semis and finals in these things the shooter comp. should be a combined time for 8 targets.. and the fastest skater should be fastest time from either semis and finals. If a guy had the fastest time in the semis, and both finalists are slower than that time in the final, then the semis time should prevail as the fastest time for the all-star skills comp.

Also.. Never need to see another "TukChuk brothers" spotlight/interview.. done to death.. bucket of vomit.

At least that farce is over.. Connor, Leon and Skinner can get back home now.🏖 ✈ ❄

[Updated on: Sun, 05 February 2023 00:24]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817591 is a reply to message #817588 ]
Sun, 05 February 2023 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 05 February 2023 00:21

Worst All-Star game weekend I've seen.. skills format getting worse.. NHL couldn't even get the game jersey colours right.. everyone looked the same out there.. Don't think I'd pay a tarnished loonie to watch that game live.

However one highlight was McDavid going 8 for 8 on the target shoot .. if they are going to have separate semis and finals in these things the shooter comp. should be a combined time for 8 targets.. and the fastest skater should be fastest time from either semis and finals. If a guy had the fastest time in the semis, and both finalists are slower than that time in the final, then the semis time should prevail as the fastest time for the all-star skills comp.

Also.. Never need to see another "TukChuk brothers" spotlight/interview.. done to death.. bucket of vomit.

At least that farce is over.. Connor, Leon and Skinner can get back home now.🏖 ✈ ❄

Fastest skater winner not the fastest skater. Most accurate shooter not the most accurate shooter. Sounds like the NHL to me

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817592 is a reply to message #817591 ]
Sun, 05 February 2023 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't think there's a fix for the all star game aside from one off changes that briefly catch the attention of the average hockey fan. It is what it is, a game for sponsors that generally bores and annoys anyone who like watching hockey.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817593 is a reply to message #817592 ]
Sun, 05 February 2023 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

My daily fix for the NHL

The NHL has a weird policy against all team playing on the same day. I think it's only happened once since the '05 lockout. I'd do the opposite of this. The default should be every team playing Saturday.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817594 is a reply to message #817593 ]
Sun, 05 February 2023 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 05 February 2023 10:44

My daily fix for the NHL

The NHL has a weird policy against all team playing on the same day. I think it's only happened once since the '05 lockout. I'd do the opposite of this. The default should be every team playing Saturday.

Only issue with this is the NFL has been playing games on Saturday recently. I doubt they want to run head to head with the NFL broadcasts in those cities.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817595 is a reply to message #817594 ]
Sun, 05 February 2023 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Sure if there’s a reason not to play a game on a Saturday, don’t play it. But generally hockey should try to own that day.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817601 is a reply to message #817595 ]
Sun, 05 February 2023 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 05 February 2023 16:09

Sure if there’s a reason not to play a game on a Saturday, don’t play it. But generally hockey should try to own that day.

Agreed. Hockey and Saturday night fit together like Saturday morning and cartoons or Wrestling. It just works.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817599 is a reply to message #817591 ]
Sun, 05 February 2023 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 05 February 2023 09:03

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 05 February 2023 00:21

Fastest skater winner not the fastest skater. Most accurate shooter not the most accurate shooter. Sounds like the NHL to me

Just treat it like a sports competition, or axe it all. Stop the costumes, weird off ice events, and stick to the core events. And get rid of having events in parallel and cutting between them.

Have fun with the events, but just seems like it's descended into a clown show.

I was watching clips from the John Scott All Star weekend and that looked 10x better than what we had this weekend.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: It's the All-Star Break! Let's Fix the NHL [message #817617 is a reply to message #817599 ]
Mon, 06 February 2023 11:04 Go to previous message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

From the history books

"In 1947, the first official NHL All-Star Game called for the defending Stanley Cup Champions to play against a selection of All-Stars from the other teams."

I'd like to see how a cup winning team would stack up against a stacked team from the rest of the league. Cup winning teams could like this format as a chance to play with guys that move on, the one year rentals get to go play one more game with the team and players who might not traditionally make an all-star appearance get an extra chance to shine, but you also showcase all your brightest stars still.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Tarasenko trade
Next Topic:Canucks Press Conference - Announcing Tocchet
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca