This day on November 29
None

Happy Birthday To: Lew19, Houndtown, aheadby1, rwilford, Lucky Luc 20, onintwo, Gimmetrades

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » RNH Contract Extension Making ProgressPages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #788147 is a reply to message #788133 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 22 June 2021 15:59

One would be lead to believe that Nuge wants to either stay or play for a winner. Unless he was incredibly bad with his money, I just don't see why he would chase after a few extra million and start over. If he wants to win, then this is his window. If not in Edmonton, then it's to a contender.

Maybe I am oversimplifying it?

I am sure there is probably some out there but I can't think of a player at the moment who was a UFA and supposedly "wanted to win" but at the same time fleeced a team for every penny he could get and the team actually won.

So while I do not begrudge Nuge for chasing the money, I'd be stunned if whoever overpaid Nuge did anything anytime soon. I have said it many times, good teams don't seem to overpay guys either their own UFA's or guys coming in. So we shall see who Nuge signs with if it's not the Oilers because I am guessing it won't be any team on the cusp of winning. That includes Seattle who I don't think will have the same level of success as Vegas.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #788150 is a reply to message #788147 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 08:35

One would be lead to believe that Nuge wants to either stay or play for a winner. Unless he was incredibly bad with his money, I just don't see why he would chase after a few extra million and start over. If he wants to win, then this is his window. If not in Edmonton, then it's to a contender.

I am sure there is probably some out there but I can't think of a player at the moment who was a UFA and supposedly "wanted to win" but at the same time fleeced a team for every penny he could get and the team actually won.

So while I do not begrudge Nuge for chasing the money, I'd be stunned if whoever overpaid Nuge did anything anytime soon. I have said it many times, good teams don't seem to overpay guys either their own UFA's or guys coming in. So we shall see who Nuge signs with if it's not the Oilers because I am guessing it won't be any team on the cusp of winning. That includes Seattle who I don't think will have the same level of success as Vegas.

If Seattle has the same success as Vegas, the I vote for a complete tear down. If the Oilers were a chain restaurant, then our line chefs are confusing, breakfast, lunch, supper and with the rubbish bin.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #788154 is a reply to message #788150 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 08:52

If Seattle has the same success as Vegas, the I vote for a complete tear down. If the Oilers were a chain restaurant, then our line chefs are confusing, breakfast, lunch, supper and with the rubbish bin.

The success of Seattle will all be about if GM's panic again and make stupid decisions. Florida is a perfect example. Gave Vegas Marchessault and Reilly Smith, 2 main stays in their top 6 all to protect a few dmen who in a season or 2 are out of the league in Petrovic. Minnie gives them Tuch, who's a 20 goal guy, just so they could protect I think Dumba who has been on the block for 2-3 yrs now. You go down the list of how many dumb moves GM's made to gift Vegas plays.

Every team is losing 1 guy. That's it. As an example, if the Oilers go 7-3-1. They could lose their 8th best forward. Assuming they don't go silly and protect the unknown that is Klefbom, they could lose with Bouchard being exempt, they could lose their 5th best dman. That shouldn't be crippling to their team.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #788163 is a reply to message #788154 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 10:15

The success of Seattle will all be about if GM's panic again and make stupid decisions. Florida is a perfect example. Gave Vegas Marchessault and Reilly Smith, 2 main stays in their top 6 all to protect a few dmen who in a season or 2 are out of the league in Petrovic. Minnie gives them Tuch, who's a 20 goal guy, just so they could protect I think Dumba who has been on the block for 2-3 yrs now. You go down the list of how many dumb moves GM's made to gift Vegas plays.

Every team is losing 1 guy. That's it. As an example, if the Oilers go 7-3-1. They could lose their 8th best forward. Assuming they don't go silly and protect the unknown that is Klefbom, they could lose with Bouchard being exempt, they could lose their 5th best dman. That shouldn't be crippling to their team.

Oilers' lack of offensive depth should mean any forward taken is replaceable. Especially if there's a handshake deal with Nuge's agent to wait until free agency to sign.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #788167 is a reply to message #788163 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 11:27

Oilers' lack of offensive depth should mean any forward taken is replaceable. Especially if there's a handshake deal with Nuge's agent to wait until free agency to sign.

I agree. That's why I hope that they don't freak out like many GM's did the first time and realize it's 1 player and in all likelihood, 1 player who is at best on their 3rd line. Even if they lose Benson, what's Benson right now? He's a maybe NHLer who would it surprise anyone if he didn't make the team again? I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. So if the Oilers can't replace a maybe NHLer or bottom 6 guy, then they are worse off then I thought.

It's 1 player, let them take the 1 player and move on.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #788173 is a reply to message #788167 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 11:38

I agree. That's why I hope that they don't freak out like many GM's did the first time and realize it's 1 player and in all likelihood, 1 player who is at best on their 3rd line. Even if they lose Benson, what's Benson right now? He's a maybe NHLer who would it surprise anyone if he didn't make the team again? I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. So if the Oilers can't replace a maybe NHLer or bottom 6 guy, then they are worse off then I thought.

I will say that it's a strike against the team that in 2017 they didn't lose a player of significance because of a lack of roster depth and here we are 4 years later looking at a similar scenario.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #788176 is a reply to message #788173 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 12:30

I will say that it's a strike against the team that in 2017 they didn't lose a player of significance because of a lack of roster depth and here we are 4 years later looking at a similar scenario.

Maybe cap space gets picked by Seattle? That would really hit the Oilers hard.

This is fine.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #788179 is a reply to message #788176 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 13:33 Go to previous message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 13:11

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 12:30

Maybe cap space gets picked by Seattle? That would really hit the Oilers hard.

That would be a hilarious wrinkle. You get to keep your players but you have $5million less cap space for two years.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]  
Previous Topic:Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes
Next Topic:Hall vs Nuge
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca