This day on May 21
None

Happy Birthday To: smyth_fan94, chrisinbanff, jboyslim, michaelo

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700481]
Thu, 19 October 2017 20:50 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

3 Cups

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Chicago to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

JWeRe: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700496 is a reply to message #700481 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

Welcome back, Cambot. May you continue to play like you did tonight. Connor was just Connor, yet again. Testudo with the streak-breaking goal!!

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700497 is a reply to message #700481 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

WINNER. WINNER. CHICKEN. DINNER.

Hockey is fun again.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700498 is a reply to message #700481 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Daddy likes! Not even sure what that means but I screamed like it was Playoffs. Huge win.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700539 is a reply to message #700498 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feepa  is currently offline feepa

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 19 October 2017 21:19

Daddy likes! Not even sure what that means but I screamed like it was Playoffs. Huge win.

Funny story - I was driving home listening to CHED. When that winning goal happened, I let a long blast of my horn go. Little did I know I was driving besides a ghost car.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700500 is a reply to message #700481 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shootsaverebound  is currently offline shootsaverebound

No Cups

Terrific game played on both sides of the puck. Zero quit in this one boys, nicely done!! Makes me excited now that I bought tix for the Saturday game in Philly!

"But I say to you, Oilfans, breathe it in deeply...feel the pain and the shame and the anger...feel it all..." Mybestguess

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700501 is a reply to message #700481 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Another goalie with >0.941 sav% against us (0.952), but we still won!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700502 is a reply to message #700481 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Few dumb plays by the usual suspects, but overall the team played well - and all the people who needed to be good were good.

I'm very glad we didn't trade Nuge in the offseason. He's playing the best hockey of his career this season.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700503 is a reply to message #700502 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

First game this season that reminded me of last year's team. GO OILERS!

How insanely sick was McDavid's spinorama pass that made Keith and Seabrook look silly.

Good to see Nuge playing like we expected him, looks like a new player. I think even at 6 mil he'll be invaluable behind McD and Drai.

Kailer so so so close on that break away. Kid is absolutely letting it all hang out trying to stick around. He wanted that goal so bad like a dog on a steak.

And Talbot was back to game stealer, the team plays much better when they know he's on his game.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 October 2017 21:34]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700504 is a reply to message #700503 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

Very nice rebound game for both Dadbot and Larsson / Klefbom. Thought it was also Russell's best game as an Oiler so far.

LOVE the battle Yamamoto shows each and every time he's on the ice. That semi-breakaway with Keith all over him was a perfect example.

Not sure why Kane hauling McDavid down on a breakaway in OT isn't a penalty shot, but whatever, it worked out for us in the end.

Flames lose, Oilers win. All is well in the universe again.

Edit: Oh yeah, what's up with baby Nuge and his new-found faceoff prowess? Dude is an absolute beast now, and was schooling Toews all night. The same Toews who's top ten in faceoffs every year. Not sure if it's the new rules working in his favour or if he just put in a ton of work at getting better at them, but he's clutch right now.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 October 2017 23:00]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700507 is a reply to message #700504 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

As the game wasn't shown over here, followed the game roughly. I say that, it was a case of everytime I woke up through the night check my score app. Got up, knowing we'd won... However, welcome back Connor and Cambot, that spin move was so out of a playbook on NHL18.. Cam after that bad break with the bounce seems to be back.

I said after the Sens game last weekend we were a few good bounces away from being the team we knew. The way the gods were going against us, Connor tried that against the Sens and it goes straight into the netminders glove. Let's build on this, one game at a time to rebuild some confidence.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700514 is a reply to message #700502 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jones25  is currently offline Jones25

No Cups

I agree, good avoiding that trade. I had a feeling they were gonna win last night, predicted it in the pre-game thread. Now they have to build off this

[Updated on: Fri, 20 October 2017 07:54]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700509 is a reply to message #700481 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

That was more like it. Better everywhere. Some suspect penalties, still, though.

>McDavid had his mojo back, had the wheels, what a play to Maroon.
>Nuge somehow has become a faceoff guy so far, I'll agree with others that it adds to his game, to say the least. The year I think he can have is either going to build his value in terms of return in the likely event that they have to move him, or make it so they want to keep him around. I've always thought he was an underdog, even as a 1st overall, I'm going to pull for him regardless.
>No gong show on the back end tonight, there were moments, but it was managed. Klef/Larsson played an infinitely tighter game, and how bout Nurse?
>Talbot...I thought 'here we go again' on that 1st goal, but totally locked it down after that.
>I just finished whining to my daughter wondering about Letestu out there for the 4 on 3 PP, grumbling about it, and he pots the 1 timer to win it. Typical.
>Little bugger Yamamoto had a night, had a helper and what had to be 7 or 8 shots.

Big win, if they manage things in their own end, get rid of the bad penalties, get Drai back....this can turn to positive numbers while still early in the season. Get some confidence, channel it the right way, and away we go.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700512 is a reply to message #700509 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

Oh no, please don't let it happen again..... I have watched every game this season that they have lost. I couldn't watch last night and they win.... I enjoy watching them win, so let them win while I am watching.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700515 is a reply to message #700481 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

1. Talbot was good. That save on Toews (breakaway) I believe was a game saver.
2. I know lots disagree, but I think the penalties on Kassian and Pakarinen were complete BS. Especially the Pakarinen one. And how does Yamamoto not draw a holding penalty when Keith spun him half way around? And why the hell was that not a penalty shot for McDavid in OT?
3. McDavid is fun to watch
4. I hate to watch dump and chase hockey.

Somewhat OT, but on the subject of penalty shots - I think it should be changed. You should get a penalty shot, and if you don't score, then you get a 2 minute PP.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700518 is a reply to message #700515 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Big game for the Oilers. They needed that one. They needed a good, sound defensive game by the whole team. They needed to win over a good team and they needed to win with Talbot being a star. That all happened. After a rough goal against on Talbot, Talbot shook it off and was great the rest of the game. He looked like Talbot.

It's one game but hopefully the Oilers and Talbot can build off of that game.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700519 is a reply to message #700518 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 11:40

Big game for the Oilers. They needed that one. They needed a good, sound defensive game by the whole team. They needed to win over a good team and they needed to win with Talbot being a star. That all happened. After a rough goal against on Talbot, Talbot shook it off and was great the rest of the game. He looked like Talbot.

How about your boy Nuge on the faceoff dot - over 56% on the season, 75% on the night, and in OT? Schooling Johnny Overrated Toews not once but twice?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700531 is a reply to message #700519 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 08:56

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 11:40

How about your boy Nuge on the faceoff dot - over 56% on the season, 75% on the night, and in OT? Schooling Johnny Overrated Toews not once but twice?

Hell yeah!!! 56.18% on the year for faceoffs. It's only 6 games in but regardless, that is still damn good. I don't know what he did differently this past offseason. Maybe the rule change taking away centers abilities to cheat makes that much of a difference I don't know. But in reality, it really doesn't matter the reason. He's been very good and it is a welcome sight and I hope it continues.

I know some people say faceoffs aren't important. But I have said it many times that I don't see how you can be called an effective 2-way center if you are lousy on draws. I have said that I believe part of Nuge's problems over the last few season is when you are matched up against top competition and you can't win a faceoff, you are constantly chasing the puck to try and get it back. So it is difficult to generate offense without the puck when you spend your shift trying to get it back. Nuge so far I think has had a good start to the season and maybe its a coincidence but he's been good on draws. The more draws you win, the more time you have the puck.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700547 is a reply to message #700515 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TeemaJeema  is currently offline TeemaJeema

No Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 07:57

And how does Yamamoto not draw a holding penalty when Keith spun him half way around?

This bugged me too.

Yamamoto worked his butt off for that play and Keith blatantly had his left hand on his shoulder early on in that race. Keith played it well after but that is only because his holding was the only thing that kept him in that play.

Oiler Fan For Life.
Go Esks Go!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700553 is a reply to message #700547 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

TeemaJeema wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 12:17

And how does Yamamoto not draw a holding penalty when Keith spun him half way around?

This bugged me too.

Yamamoto worked his butt off for that play and Keith blatantly had his left hand on his shoulder early on in that race. Keith played it well after but that is only because his holding was the only thing that kept him in that play.

Had Keith not grabbed KY at the beginning of that play, he was long gone.

Fail on the officials there.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700555 is a reply to message #700553 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 13:41

This bugged me too.

I don't want to speak for the official, but maybe he felt the situation would be slippery enough not to warrant a call?

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700556 is a reply to message #700555 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 14:39

g2k wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 13:41

This bugged me too.

I don't want to speak for the official, but maybe he felt the situation would be slippery enough not to warrant a call?

Or maybe that's the Norris Trophy winner on 19-year-old rookie non-call...

I don't understand the "official's respect" thing that happens in the NHL, but there's no question it is a real thing. If you're a long-tenured player, you get calls, and if you're a raw rookie, then the line at which you draw a call is different.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700651 is a reply to message #700553 ]
Sun, 22 October 2017 01:00 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 12:41

This bugged me too.

Double fail because Keith two-handed him on the top hand after that as well, that's why he put on the ice pack afterwards on the bench, ruined his shot attempt. And then dum-dum Drew Remenda misses it on the replay. That guy gets more annoying every year. He is definitely trying to go for a job doing national games, looking past his purgatory being based in Edmonton, trying for that NBC job.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700529 is a reply to message #700481 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Probably the most complete game since game 1 of this young season. Talbot seemed to get his mojo back during the course of the game with some stellar stops. McDavid in a showcase of "Did you see that, did I JUST see that?" assist to Maroon.

Letestu with the winning, and I'm like got 'er done boys move to the next one 11AM for Philly. Typically the team does poorly on afternoon games.

Yamamoto is making the conversation real difficult to send him down. I still want to, to me, the right thing to do is to send him down, but man, difficult.

RNH, in my opinion, the best defensive centre in the business I think and like it's been said, commanded the faceoff!

[Updated on: Fri, 20 October 2017 09:31]

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700540 is a reply to message #700481 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Cripes. Yamamoto had 8 shots. And I swear he passed up 2 or 3 prime shooting opportunities as well trying to do the young guy sending respect to the vets type of thing.

I don't know what to think anymore about what to do with this kid. I don't even see him get into trouble out there. Head is up all the time. Guess a lesson you have to learn being the smallest guy on the ice basically your entire life. No shortage of d-bags in the CHL either that will take huge, even dangerous runs at smaller guys.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 October 2017 10:37]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700542 is a reply to message #700540 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 10:33

Cripes. Yamamoto had 8 shots. And I swear he passed up 2 or 3 prime shooting opportunities as well trying to do the young guy sending respect to the vets type of thing.

I don't know what to think anymore about what to do with this kid. I don't even see him get into trouble out there. Head is up all the time. Guess a lesson you have to learn being the smallest guy on the ice basically your entire life. No shortage of d-bags in the CHL either that will take huge, even dangerous runs at smaller guys.

I love the fact that he is a shooter. He's got a good shot, he recognizes he needs to use it, to use it often and to get it off quick. Too bad Eberle didn't do that.

I still think he needs to go down. The games are only going to get tougher and he needs more strength. But its nice to see he looks to be a player and not far off potentially. With Pulujarvi seemingly starting to figure it out and Yamo, the Oilers RW might be set for a long time in the very near future.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700563 is a reply to message #700481 ]
Fri, 20 October 2017 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

http://yi.nzc.am/brLjUY

Did Bob comb his hair with a pork chop?

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700586 is a reply to message #700563 ]
Sat, 21 October 2017 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 16:28

He’s great at Thanksgiving to provide an abundance of turkey Stauffing.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #700648 is a reply to message #700563 ]
Sat, 21 October 2017 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 20 October 2017 16:28

Trying for a Tyler Durden?

https://images.8tracks.com/cover/i/000/952/811/31815.original-3066.jpg?rect=0,46,635,635&q=98&fm=jpg&fit=max

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #7)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #7)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca