This day on August 14
Acquired: Kevin Brown (1998)
Departed: Michel Picard (2000)

Happy Birthday To: Trueblue26, Belleu

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #693259 is a reply to message #693258 ]
Sun, 30 April 2017 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

benv wrote on Sun, 30 April 2017 22:04

vsove wrote on Sun, 30 April 2017 21:37

V wrote on Sun, 30 April 2017 21:35

If they lose game 4 they lose the series. They better be flying.

Yep. Whoever wins Game 4 wins the series.

That's such hyperbolic nonsense. Game 4 counts the same as games 1, 2, and 3. Keep in mind the Oilers got shelacked in game 4 in the last series in a similar situation, and still won the series.

You could argue that the game 4 winner will have some momentum, but that really seems to mean little in these playoffs.

Just because momentum hasn't meant much yet, doesn't mean it will continue to be as meaningless.

If we win Game 4, we take a 3-1 stranglehold on the series and the Ducks have to win 3 in a row to beat us.

If we lose Game 4, it turns into a best of 3, with the Ducks getting back home ice advantage - and it means that we've lost 2 in a row, with Game 2 being a victory where we absolutely did not carry the play.

I still think we win the series, but I don't think it's hyperbolic to say that Game 4 is very likely a good indicator of who moves on to the WCF.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #693260 is a reply to message #693259 ]
Sun, 30 April 2017 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

After what seems like an hour or two sleep, I'm going to add another reflection. If I had watched that game as a hockey fan, rather than an Oilers fan, I'd be telling everyone to sit down and watch the re-run. That was possibly one of the best games of hockey I've seen. Had this been a regular season game, we'd be praising the game, but as this means something it hurts like mad that we lost.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #693270 is a reply to message #693259 ]
Mon, 01 May 2017 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

vsove wrote on Sun, 30 April 2017 22:47

benv wrote on Sun, 30 April 2017 22:04

vsove wrote on Sun, 30 April 2017 21:37

V wrote on Sun, 30 April 2017 21:35

If they lose game 4 they lose the series. They better be flying.

Yep. Whoever wins Game 4 wins the series.

That's such hyperbolic nonsense. Game 4 counts the same as games 1, 2, and 3. Keep in mind the Oilers got shelacked in game 4 in the last series in a similar situation, and still won the series.

You could argue that the game 4 winner will have some momentum, but that really seems to mean little in these playoffs.

Just because momentum hasn't meant much yet, doesn't mean it will continue to be as meaningless.

If we win Game 4, we take a 3-1 stranglehold on the series and the Ducks have to win 3 in a row to beat us.

If we lose Game 4, it turns into a best of 3, with the Ducks getting back home ice advantage - and it means that we've lost 2 in a row, with Game 2 being a victory where we absolutely did not carry the play.

I still think we win the series, but I don't think it's hyperbolic to say that Game 4 is very likely a good indicator of who moves on to the WCF.

FYI, actually game 5's have the biggest historic stat in 7 game series. 78.1% of the teams that win game 5 go on to win the series. Don't know about the other stats, but I know this is the "main" stat of a 7 game series.

Re: Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #693257 is a reply to message #693254 ]
Sun, 30 April 2017 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Suomalainen wrote on Sun, 30 April 2017 21:32

vsove wrote on Sun, 30 April 2017 21:07

Trying to figure out why I'm grumpier after that than I was after the 7-0 loss in Round 1

Yep. 90 minutes later, still crusty - of course it's been a while since games mattered like this, so I don't have a good baseline.

Too true. It's been so long since we've been in the playoffs, I've forgotten how to take a loss in the playoffs.

Especially when they came so close in the 2nd.

Re: Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #693263 is a reply to message #693257 ]
Mon, 01 May 2017 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Still crusty this morning.

Re: Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #693261 is a reply to message #693209 ]
Sun, 30 April 2017 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

In retrospect, this was entirely my fault. My in-laws invited us over to watch the game, and I wasn't able to perform any of my newly-established rituals. And I wore the Cursed Jersey, the Jersey which I last wore during Game 1 against SJ, and which became cursed when I forgot to bring it with me on a camping trip in '05-'06, causing us to lose the Cup.

I've washed the failure out of the jersey, so it's all good now. My bad.

Re: Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #693266 is a reply to message #693209 ]
Mon, 01 May 2017 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hubbs  is currently offline Hubbs

No Cups

The turning point for me was not being able to score when we had them hemmed in their zone at the end of the second and then continuing to not be able to score on the powerplay when the Ducks had no time out and Gibson was gassed.

Except for the score that was a pretty entertaining hockey game to watch though. Just too bad we came out on the losing end.

Re: Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #693269 is a reply to message #693266 ]
Mon, 01 May 2017 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

While I didn't think the Ducks would score 6, I kind of figured they would win last nights game. They lost both at home so to go down 3-0, you are done. So a must win game for the Ducks. I thought the defense as a unit wasn't very good. I thought Talbot wasn't his sharpest. The 4th goal was an absolute kill shot. You spot the Ducks 3, somehow battle back, Oilers have ALL the momentum at that point and the Ducks are wobbling a bit. Then they get a bad goal not even a min later. The other 2 goals, who cares. It was over at that point.

I expect Talbot to play a very good game in game 4. He always bounces back after a lousy game. I also expect the defense score to be a lot better.

One area of concern that is growing and grown. Eberle. The Oilers have played 9 games and he's done NOTHING offensively and yesterday he was leaking chances, 2 chances that caused goals. Nuge to me looks like he's getting it going. He hasn't scores a goal, only had 2 points but he's generating chances. He did a great inside out last night and got a dangerous shot off. Eberle is doing nothing. I would strongly consider dropping Eberle down in the line up. Put either Slep or Kassian on the wing with Nuge. I would lean to giving Slep a shot. the guy can skate, seems to play a north-south game and he's got a good shot. The Oilers aren't going to go anywhere with a second line not scoring and I personally think Eberle's struggles are dragging that line down.

Re: Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #693281 is a reply to message #693266 ]
Mon, 01 May 2017 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Hubbs wrote on Mon, 01 May 2017 07:48

The turning point for me was not being able to score when we had them hemmed in their zone at the end of the second and then continuing to not be able to score on the powerplay when the Ducks had no time out and Gibson was gassed.

Except for the score that was a pretty entertaining hockey game to watch though. Just too bad we came out on the losing end.

That was a great sequence, when we had the ducks stuck in their end for almost 3 mins. It's unfortunate that no one learned from the DD OT winner. McDavid got onto the ice after we had the ducks stuck in their zone for 2 minutes, but no one seemed to care to get the puck to him as the freshest guy on the ice.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #693284 is a reply to message #693281 ]
Mon, 01 May 2017 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

You know what I love about Talbot, he is the first guy to take responsibility for when he isn't on. Every goalie allows a bad goal or doesn't have his best night once in a while. If any goalie deserves the right to have a bad night, it's Talbot as he has bailed out this team again and again. He never points the finger when his dman (Nurse) does a stupid play. He never stares anyone down. Last nights game wasn't Talbot's fault. The whole team just didn't come out sharp. But there is Talbot saying the 4th goal was a bad one and the turning point in the game. It's on me.

That's a leader.

Re: Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #693285 is a reply to message #693209 ]
Mon, 01 May 2017 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

In game 3, I want:

- way more physical play against Anaheim's D. Hampus Lindholm is not a tough guy, and they're letting him play like one. Manson and Theodore are not good enough to handle increased pressure from a violent forecheck.

- Eberle and Lucic on the 3rd line. Not really as a punishment, but hopefully to get them going against some weaker competition. (But also sort of as a punishment.)

- for Nurse and Benning to be telepathically linked, so Nurse can have some of Benning's hockey intelligence. Nurse has 4-5 brainfarts a game that result in grade A chances against.

- Larsson to disrupt the cycle like he normally does. He didn't do that in Game 3.

- Put Talbot in a hotel so the twins aren't keeping him awake at night!

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Hart Trophy Finalists - McDavid, Crosby, Bobrovsky
Next Topic:GDT: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca