This day on October 2
Acquired: Reijo Ruotsalainen (1986) Jim Wiemer (1986) Randy Exelby (1989) Dave Manson (1991)
Departed: Don Jackson (1986) Steve Smith (1991) Kent Manderville (1996)

Happy Birthday To: Prophet, Oilly, Oddlot, Adam, stickler, L.Stanley, ETOWN HERO, Gator21

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish?Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673619]
Tue, 28 June 2016 14:23 Go to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

No Cups

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/audio/rishaug-lucic-an d-demers-set-to-tour-edmonton-1.516988

So that's twice now that I have heard mainstream media in EDM talk about THE trade that's coming involving a big name dman that will be a surprise to many...Rishaug said as much this morning on TSN 1260 and, while I don't have a source for it (sorry) because I don't recall where I read it (Lowetide?) but a poster mentioned Stauffer said pretty much the same thing a day or two ago on CHED? (Maybe someone can confirm this?)

So what say you Oil Country? Who is it?

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2016 14:25]

"McDavid is as good as I’ve seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years." Gretzky

"I think it goes without saying that there is a lot of pressure on me," McDavid

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673620 is a reply to message #673619 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

Karlsson or Pietrangelo, though AP has been mentioned in rumours rock

(a guy can dream, right?)

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673621 is a reply to message #673619 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oilfanforever!! wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 14:23

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/audio/rishaug-lucic-an d-demers-set-to-tour-edmonton-1.516988

So that's twice now that I have heard mainstream media in EDM talk about THE trade that's coming involving a big name dman that will be a surprise to many...Rishaug said as much this morning on TSN 1260 and, while I don't have a source for it (sorry) because I don't recall where I read it (Lowetide?) but Stauffer said pretty much the same thing a day or two ago.

No one. They aren't connected. Bob's in the dark about anything besides what MacTavish tells him, and MacT is on a short leash.

These guys are seriously just in rampant speculation mode. They in general have no idea how to do player analysis, and since MacT was brushed aside, they have no connections within the game. So they have nothing to talk about besides throwing names.

Honestly, it's high time that there was a big turnover in the market for sports guys. I'd really appreciate seeing Rishaug and Spector replaced by harder working folks who might actually try to cultivate some relationships outside the city, or might add something useful when there are no sources feeding them.

I'd like to see Matheson and Jones put out to pasture before they ruin what's left of their Hall of Fame reputations. Someone should take their twitter away too.

I'd love to see these guy's worst fear come true and their networks/newspapers hire someone with some analytics background.

Basically, I'd like to see more Elliotte Friedman or Bob McKenzie's out there, and a whole lot less of this brand of useless rumour mongers.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673627 is a reply to message #673621 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Bob all but confirmed that the mystery fish is Adam Larsson.

I don't mind adding Larsson, but if NJD gets Hall, I want Larsson and a fair bit more. Not sure what exactly NJDs prospect pool looks like, but their NHL roster is ugly.

Honestly, for Larsson (assuming a Lucic signing as well), I'm offering Pouliot, Yakupov and a negotiable draft pick. If they want Hall, my ask is Larsson and Severson, and possibly more.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673628 is a reply to message #673627 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 14:55

I don't mind adding Larsson, but if NJD gets Hall, I want Larsson and a fair bit more. Not sure what exactly NJDs prospect pool looks like, but their NHL roster is ugly.

Honestly, for Larsson (assuming a Lucic signing as well), I'm offering Pouliot, Yakupov and a negotiable draft pick. If they want Hall, my ask is Larsson and Severson, and possibly more.

Would you move RNH for Larsson? A flip of #1 and #4 from 2011, neither of whom have really lived up to the hopes their clubs had for them?

I probably would make that deal. I'd rather Larsson than Dumba, personally.

That said, I probably wouldn't make that move until after July 1st. I'd try and land a bigger player with RNH or with RNH as part of a package.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673634 is a reply to message #673628 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 14:58

Would you move RNH for Larsson? A flip of #1 and #4 from 2011, neither of whom have really lived up to the hopes their clubs had for them?

That said, I probably wouldn't make that move until after July 1st. I'd try and land a bigger player with RNH or with RNH as part of a package.

I say no to this one. Not for Nuge, not for Hall.

Larsson, five years on from draft day has done very little to make me think he's worth giving up an elite player for. He's peaked at 24 points and looked like he actually took a step back last year. Zero powerplay points last year, only 4 PP assists ever, so he's not going to likely fill the role of PP quarterback.

I would be fine having him as a second pairing guy, but I'm not giving up Hall or Nuge for that player.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673635 is a reply to message #673634 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Not turning on my "big fish" hope. Always lots of hype about these situations, usually not panning out at the last minute. Especially post draft where next to nothing happened.

Lucic and Demers I'll get a lil excited about as it seems pretty good if they are in town this close to the deadline. And people waving around the fact Lucic is interested in a discount for longer term.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673636 is a reply to message #673634 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 15:27

Larsson, five years on from draft day has done very little to make me think he's worth giving up an elite player for. He's peaked at 24 points and looked like he actually took a step back last year. Zero powerplay points last year, only 4 PP assists ever, so he's not going to likely fill the role of PP quarterback.

I would be fine having him as a second pairing guy, but I'm not giving up Hall or Nuge for that player.

I'm not sure RNH is considered "elite". I don't think other GMs think he is either.

He's a great player, sure, but he's been a disappointment for me. Five years in, never cracked 60 points per season, never has hit 25 goals. Same point total five years in as Sam Gagner had five years in.

I wouldn't trade Hall for Larsson, but for me there is a wide gap between Hall and either RNH or Eberle. And with Eberle, at least you can point to 3 60+ point seasons and one 70+ point season. RNH has the benefit of playing centre though, and he has a strong two-way game.

I don't know. I'm hoping for better, but I think people in Edmonton probably value Nugent-Hopkins more than elsewhere around the league. You can absolutely get a return for him, maybe even Kevin Shattenkirk. But I could live with Larsson. I think Adam Larsson probably helps the Oilers more next year than Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. But he isn't the stand-alone answer either.

Seems the Oilers are being squeezed by most teams around the league. Everyone knows their need, everyone sees them being very aggressive, and so everyone is asking for the moon.

Hopefully after July 1 or as July 1 approaches, some of that power that teams are exerting over the Oilers right now balances out.

I'd be curious what a RNH + Klefbom + 2017 1st Rd. Pick might bring in. Or a Draisaitl + Nurse + 2017 1st Rd. Pick. Or some combination of those two. Would it be able to land a Subban, Hedman, Doughty? Probably not, but it would be great if it could.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673639 is a reply to message #673636 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 15:40

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 15:27

I'm not sure RNH is considered "elite". I don't think other GMs think he is either.

He's a great player, sure, but he's been a disappointment for me. Five years in, never cracked 60 points per season, never has hit 25 goals. Same point total five years in as Sam Gagner had five years in.

I wouldn't trade Hall for Larsson, but for me there is a wide gap between Hall and either RNH or Eberle. And with Eberle, at least you can point to 3 60+ point seasons and one 70+ point season. RNH has the benefit of playing centre though, and he has a strong two-way game.

I don't know. I'm hoping for better, but I think people in Edmonton probably value Nugent-Hopkins more than elsewhere around the league. You can absolutely get a return for him, maybe even Kevin Shattenkirk. But I could live with Larsson. I think Adam Larsson probably helps the Oilers more next year than Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. But he isn't the stand-alone answer either.

Seems the Oilers are being squeezed by most teams around the league. Everyone knows their need, everyone sees them being very aggressive, and so everyone is asking for the moon.

Hopefully after July 1 or as July 1 approaches, some of that power that teams are exerting over the Oilers right now balances out.

I'd be curious what a RNH + Klefbom + 2017 1st Rd. Pick might bring in. Or a Draisaitl + Nurse + 2017 1st Rd. Pick. Or some combination of those two. Would it be able to land a Subban, Hedman, Doughty? Probably not, but it would be great if it could.

Doubt it'd get you any of those three, but maybe Pietrangelo?

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673643 is a reply to message #673636 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 15:40

Are we really getting squeezed though? Or is there just a lot of fan and media impatience to get something done when it's still three and a half months until the season starts?

I imagine one of the biggest difficulties as a GM would be drowning out the noise. There's all these morons from the press who want to ask you the same stupid questions every day, even when they know that you can't really answer them.

Fans want you to sign or trade for every good player that moves and howl about anything you could have missed, with little understanding that no team has the same assets to move and that each asset is valued differently by different teams (ie. Player A may be a lesser player, but easier to fit in the salary structure for the team, so dangling Player B was never going to preempt the other trade.)

My biggest hope is that the Oilers don't rush to make a trade and make a bad one. I think if we do Hall for Hamonic or some other lunacy like that, we will end up moving the team backwards. Then McDavid gets his 8-year $97MM pact and we struggle to hold on to everyone. There's ways to improve the defence without gutting the team.

For what it's worth, I think Nugent-Hopkins is underrated. Points per game is significantly ahead of Gagner, better two-way player, better face-off man...I don't like that comparable.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673646 is a reply to message #673643 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 15:56

For what it's worth, I think Nugent-Hopkins is underrated. Points per game is significantly ahead of Gagner, better two-way player, better face-off man...I don't like that comparable.

He's better than Sam Gagner. I know it's a pretty audacious comparable. I kind of use that to make a point, because the hard numbers (points) are the same. RNH does more against better competition.

But that said, I don't think he's elite. I stand by the assertion that there is a large gap in value to the Oilers between him and Hall.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673629 is a reply to message #673627 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SunshinesDad  is currently offline SunshinesDad

No Cups

I listened today and I didn't hear him come close to confirming Larsson was the mystery fish. All he said is that there could be another D-Man no one had mentioned that plays 22+ minutes a night and cap hit would be around 5 million or less. Although he was strongly hinting that this is the way it was going to be he never mentioned names. A couple of callers said they figured it was Larsson he was talking to but he never said that.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-3PCGZ_c0m91rN7zn75aow

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673633 is a reply to message #673629 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

SunshinesDad wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 15:01

I listened today and I didn't hear him come close to confirming Larsson was the mystery fish. All he said is that there could be another D-Man no one had mentioned that plays 22+ minutes a night and cap hit would be around 5 million or less. Although he was strongly hinting that this is the way it was going to be he never mentioned names. A couple of callers said they figured it was Larsson he was talking to but he never said that.

That's why I said "all but confirmed". He alluded to "not elite offense". He shot down every single other guess, but engaged when people brought Larsson up. He had thought out return, including Boston's second round pick in 2017. That second round pick is the "circle" - alluding to the pick we owe the Bruins for the Chiarelli signing. Easy dots to connect to my mind.

Whether Stauffer is in the loop here or not is definitely debatable though.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673680 is a reply to message #673629 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

SunshinesDad wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 15:01

Listen again...when kjam calls in to say some nice words about the passing of Tom the conversation continues to them talking about the search for a dman. Bob basically admits it's New Jersey and Larsson he's been talking about. Confirms that NJ has the complimentary pieces to add to the deal to make add in to get Taylor Hall.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673673 is a reply to message #673621 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 14:29

Oilfanforever!! wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 14:23

So that's twice now that I have heard mainstream media in EDM talk about THE trade that's coming involving a big name dman that will be a surprise to many...Rishaug said as much this morning on TSN 1260 and, while I don't have a source for it (sorry) because I don't recall where I read it (Lowetide?) but Stauffer said pretty much the same thing a day or two ago.

No one. They aren't connected. Bob's in the dark about anything besides what MacTavish tells him, and MacT is on a short leash.

These guys are seriously just in rampant speculation mode. They in general have no idea how to do player analysis, and since MacT was brushed aside, they have no connections within the game. So they have nothing to talk about besides throwing names.

Honestly, it's high time that there was a big turnover in the market for sports guys. I'd really appreciate seeing Rishaug and Spector replaced by harder working folks who might actually try to cultivate some relationships outside the city, or might add something useful when there are no sources feeding them.

I'd like to see Matheson and Jones put out to pasture before they ruin what's left of their Hall of Fame reputations. Someone should take their twitter away too.

I'd love to see these guy's worst fear come true and their networks/newspapers hire someone with some analytics background.

Basically, I'd like to see more Elliotte Friedman or Bob McKenzie's out there, and a whole lot less of this brand of useless rumour mongers.

Disagreed, Bob knows basically everything that's going on. But only on unannounced, done deals.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673641 is a reply to message #673619 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Curtis StockVerified account @CurtisJStock
At the risk of starting another firestorm I understand Jason Demers is going to be an Oiler too

Well, doesn't that pretty much lock up our protected list for the expansion draft?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673644 is a reply to message #673641 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 15:48

At the risk of starting another firestorm I understand Jason Demers is going to be an Oiler too

Well, doesn't that pretty much lock up our protected list for the expansion draft?

So Stock is saying that the Oilers are flouting the rules and that someone in the know is massively cocky that nothing any other team says in the next two and a half days will change the mind of either of these players.

Not sure I'm buying it. But I guess we'll see on Friday. If we are signing both those players, that's going to take us over $70MM for salaries. Means we're done if we can't make some big moves shortly thereafter.

Is the Subban dream dead then?

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673651 is a reply to message #673644 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 15:58

So Stock is saying that the Oilers are flouting the rules and that someone in the know is massively cocky that nothing any other team says in the next two and a half days will change the mind of either of these players.

Not sure I'm buying it. But I guess we'll see on Friday. If we are signing both those players, that's going to take us over $70MM for salaries. Means we're done if we can't make some big moves shortly thereafter.

I certainly hope Chia is going to leave at least 5-6M of cap space for bonuses this year. McDavid is a lock for another 2.85M. Drai has a good chance to hit his Schedule B bonus as well if he can put together a solid full season playing with Hall. Pulju coming on the books, who knows if he wow's in camp, ends up playing with good players and hits some Schedule A bonuses. Nurse will likely hit a bonus again for ice time.

Don't need any penalties going into 17/18 when, after the expansion draft, we can solidify our D for good.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2016 16:17]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673653 is a reply to message #673651 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 16:15

I certainly hope Chia is going to leave at least 5-6M of cap space for bonuses this year. McDavid is a lock for another 2.85M. Drai has a good chance to hit his Schedule B bonus as well if he can put together a solid full season playing with Hall. Pulju coming on the books, who knows if he wow's in camp, ends up playing with good players and hits some Schedule A bonuses. Nurse will likely hit a bonus again for ice time.

Don't need any penalties going into 17/18 when, after the expansion draft, we can solidify our D for good.

Honestly, I wouldn't hate to seeing both Reinhart and Nurse in the AHL. Not just for bonus reasons - I actually think both would benefit from it - but cap concerns certainly doesn't hurt this suggestion.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673660 is a reply to message #673653 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 16:20

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 16:15

Honestly, I wouldn't hate to seeing both Reinhart and Nurse in the AHL. Not just for bonus reasons - I actually think both would benefit from it - but cap concerns certainly doesn't hurt this suggestion.

I think the Oilers may need to trade away Reinhart at some point. His bonuses are a pain in the keester, and might make him un-recallable next year.

Nurse isn't as big a deal - his bonuses as a 7th overall are significantly less. Klefbom's ended this year, but Puljujarvi's ability to play in the NHL could ride on how close the Oilers are to the cap because of the bonus issue. He's going to get very similar ones to Leon Draisaitl as a 3rd overall.

McDavid got every cent of his bonus money this year. I would imagine that Puljujarvi could get a lot of his if he makes the team.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673655 is a reply to message #673651 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

There would just have to be more if both of these signings happen. It would put them up against the cap without a backup goalie, and still in need of another RHD. Otherwise Fayne is on your 2nd pair.

I would expect after these deals, any of Korpikoski, Hendricks, Fayne, Pouliot, Reinhart will be actively shopped for cap savings. I haven't heard anything on Ference getting bought out lately, maybe they plan to just eat it this year? Something with the injury must be hindering that.

I would rather just keep Pouliot and let Lucic sign elsewhere. Save around 2M dollars and you don't have a guy on a big contract playing into his mid 30s.

Clean house or bust

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673652 is a reply to message #673644 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 14:58

Nuge/Ebs + Yak gets you pretty close to Subban's salary. Problem solved icon_wink

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673647 is a reply to message #673641 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Is this not tampering? I don't think Dallas gave permission for Demers to seek offers from other teams. Am I off-base... I thought you couldn't discuss price point, and if you do, you can't let the media get a hold of it.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673650 is a reply to message #673647 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Meh, I don't think you could charge the Oilers for tampering unless there is some evidence price point is coming up. All we know right now, as per Stock, is that Lucic and Demers intend to be Oilers. We don't have any contract details (yet). Despite the source saying Lucic has prematurely signed a deal, I just think that Chiarelli has to be smarter than that right?

They do have to be careful though if price is being discussed. It will probably be more than a fine like Benning. You would hate to lose a draft pick for something like this.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2016 16:13]

Clean house or bust

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673658 is a reply to message #673650 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 16:11

Meh, I don't think you could charge the Oilers for tampering unless there is some evidence price point is coming up. All we know right now, as per Stock, is that Lucic and Demers intend to be Oilers. We don't have any contract details (yet). Despite the source saying Lucic has prematurely signed a deal, I just think that Chiarelli has to be smarter than that right?

They do have to be careful though if price is being discussed. It will probably be more than a fine like Benning. You would hate to lose a draft pick for something like this.

What source is saying Lucic signed a deal already? Then again with him I think numbers could probably be discussed as LA gave teams permission to speak with his agent last week sometime.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673664 is a reply to message #673658 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

It's on Curtis Stock's twitter that Lucic has already signed.

Clean house or bust

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673665 is a reply to message #673664 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 16:44

It's on Curtis Stock's twitter that Lucic has already signed.

That really can't be true. Not unless they printed a letter dated July 1 and had him sign that ahead of time. There'd be big problems with that if he changed his mind in the next couple of days and seeing as his agent had him likely visiting another couple of teams after this, I just don't see him doing it.

What if someone offered him $7MM over 7 years? Is he going to walk from that kind of money?

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673657 is a reply to message #673647 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 16:03

Is this not tampering? I don't think Dallas gave permission for Demers to seek offers from other teams. Am I off-base... I thought you couldn't discuss price point, and if you do, you can't let the media get a hold of it.

How is this tampering? PJ is not an employee of the Oilers and who knows who his source is. It could just be his own guess as well or he has spoken to the agent or Demers himself.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673661 is a reply to message #673657 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

SunshinesDad wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 16:29

How is this tampering? PJ is not an employee of the Oilers and who knows who his source is. It could just be his own guess as well or he has spoken to the agent or Demers himself.

I mean, I don't think you can agree to a contract without getting into financial details. If the Oilers have an agreement in place, like Curtis Stock suggests, it would mean money has been discussed while he is still property of the Kings.

Same with Dallas and Demers.

I know that this stuff must happen, but if the media is reporting on you coming to terms with another team's player prior to July 1, that's bad. Thankfully, true or not, Lucic himself refuted the report.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673663 is a reply to message #673661 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 16:33

SunshinesDad wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 16:29

I mean, I don't think you can agree to a contract without getting into financial details. If the Oilers have an agreement in place, like Curtis Stock suggests, it would mean money has been discussed while he is still property of the Kings.

Same with Dallas and Demers.

I know that this stuff must happen, but if the media is reporting on you coming to terms with another team's player prior to July 1, that's bad. Thankfully, true or not, Lucic himself refuted the report.

Here is a description of the interview period I found. It's from 2014:

"Clubs are permitted to discuss their potential interest in, as well as the general parameters of, a potential future contractual relationship with another Club's pending RFA or UFA during the applicable 'interview periods,' but Clubs may not enter into any agreements, or make any binding offers, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, express or implied, oral or written, concerning the terms of a potential SPC with another Club's pending RFA or UFA."

So, can talk all the details you want, but the team can't make any real offers of any kind. Basically, both sides describing what they are comfortable with, without the team actually saying "X is what we will give you". Although, who knows, maybe they take it a step further in private, just don't let it get out if you did.

There is also this:

Peter Chiarelli @FakeOilersGM
Have I already signed Milan Lucic & Jason Demers? If you have to ask the question, you know the answer.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2016 16:45]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673728 is a reply to message #673663 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

It blows me away at reluctance of Oilers fans to trade basically anyone from a team that hasn't made the playoffs in a decade. If the Oilers are reluctantly "allowed" by the fans to trade anyone, it better be for a Norris winner in his prime otherwise its an "over payment".

Staufford brought up Adam Larsson's name. Larsson played over 22 mins a night, he's big, skates really well, moves the puck really well, has a physical edge to his game, supposedly has a good shot. He's a right shot. He's a minute eating Dman. He just signed a 6 yr deal last July and it's CHEAP. He's only 23. The only thing he doesn't have is big offensive numbers but he plays ZERO PP time on a team that scores jack squat for goals in general. So if you put him on a more offensive team, give him some PP time, his numbers will shoot up in a hurry. Larsson is a very good player.

The #1 thing the Oilers need is a very reliable, right shot dman that you can throw out there, play a lot of minutes and know that things are going to be just fine when he is on the ice. If you can find a guy that can do all that AND get offense, you hit the lottery but if you have to sacrifice a little offense but get all the rest, that is still great.

I wouldn't trade Hall straight up for him but I would trade Nuge or Eberle in a heart beat and if you had to add a sweeten, go for it. People need to come back to reality and realize that Yes, Nuge and Eberle are very good players but a top 3 Dman, especially a right shot is worth a hell of a lot more than good second line center or a pretty good, top 6 winger.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2016 11:10]

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673735 is a reply to message #673728 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

I am definitely in the "this omelet sucks, time for different combination of eggs and ingredients" mindset. Don't rush out and trade Hall or the others, but I know the way the team has been built is flawed and we gotta give to get.

Having a surplus of winger talent while our D is AHL caliber is just banging out head against a wall.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673736 is a reply to message #673728 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 11:08

I wouldn't trade Hall straight up for him but I would trade Nuge or Eberle in a heart beat and if you had to add a sweeten, go for it.

Hmm... I actually think that is where a lot of us are at. Hall requires a different sort of return though. He's at another level from RNH and Eberle.

And Larsson is also at another level than Matt Dumba.

I think you make the Larsson trade if it is RNH or Eberle.
I think you pass if it is Taylor Hall.

I think you make the Dumba trade if it is Pouliot and Yakupov.
I think you pass if it is Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

For me, I'm open to trading these guys, but the return has to be fair, and right now, the offers that are floating out there, are not.

The closest I've really heard is Kevin Shattenkirk for Jordan Eberle, but that one doesn't seem to have much traction, and I'm not sure of it's credibility.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #674034 is a reply to message #673736 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 11:13

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 11:08

I wouldn't trade Hall straight up for him but I would trade Nuge or Eberle in a heart beat and if you had to add a sweeten, go for it.

Hmm... I actually think that is where a lot of us are at. Hall requires a different sort of return though. He's at another level from RNH and Eberle.

And Larsson is also at another level than Matt Dumba.

I think you make the Larsson trade if it is RNH or Eberle.
I think you pass if it is Taylor Hall.

I think you make the Dumba trade if it is Pouliot and Yakupov.
I think you pass if it is Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

For me, I'm open to trading these guys, but the return has to be fair, and right now, the offers that are floating out there, are not.

The closest I've really heard is Kevin Shattenkirk for Jordan Eberle, but that one doesn't seem to have much traction, and I'm not sure of it's credibility.

Apparently Chiarelli is smarter than you, he tried to trade RNH for Dumba, didn't go through... thank heavens..

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2016 20:11]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673659 is a reply to message #673647 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

If it were proven to be true, the Oilers would clearly be in violation of the rules.

FWIW, Lucic told a Boston reporter directly that the reports were "bulls---."

Honestly, if Stock has a good source, the Oilers should figure out who that is and immediately fire him. There's absolutely nothing good that can come from this being out there. It throws suspicion on the Oilers if they do sign one or both of these players. It could piss off the players and their agents, who will still undoubtedly have other conversations this week and don't it being put out there that it's a done deal. It could make other teams up their offer just a little to try to turn the tables on something the Oilers think that they've got.

Seriously, pull e-mails or phone records or whatever you need to do, find the blabbermouth and fire his ass. I'm sure there can't be a lot of guys who are actually in the know.

Unless it's all just a fabrication from someone who's pretending to be on the inside, but given that both Principe and Stock were saying it...I'd start a mole hunt.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673674 is a reply to message #673659 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Yeah, Curtis Stock really needed to check himself there. They are trying to put the best foot forward, and the media pulls a Larry Brooks special. (Is Stock even considered media now? Back in the day I considered him 6th string in the Edm media hierarchy.)

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673676 is a reply to message #673674 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

The sports media clowns in Edmonton drive me crazy. I used to only despise Dan Tencer... now I could count on both hands all the idiots that I think we could do without.

Stupid morons.

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673666 is a reply to message #673619 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Lowe giving a tour to Lucic and Demers:

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/747892630890045440

Katz's kid there, just because.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673667 is a reply to message #673666 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 17:16

Lowe giving a tour to Lucic and Demers:

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/747892630890045440

Katz's kid there, just because.

Yeah. What's the deal here. I thought we had been told that Kevin Lowe has nothing to do with hockey operations and yet he shows up at the draft sitting at the table and now he's showing Lucic around town.

And I really don't care about the kid going up on stage at the draft. You own the team, you can do what you like. But doesn't it send a funny message when he gets to ride shotgun on the tour around the city with coveted free agents?

Re: Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish? [message #673668 is a reply to message #673667 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lowebudget  is currently offline lowebudget

No Cups

Katz's kid = Tracy Lane. Book it.

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:A couple of interesting notes
Next Topic:Oilers rumoured offer to Lucic
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca