F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Yak DestinationsPages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Yak Destinations [message #671329]
Tue, 10 May 2016 11:48 Go to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

Just wondering what everyone thinks would be a good fit both for Yak and for the Oil. We know his value is probably that of a 2nd round pick (as he still has some cache as a 1st overall and his rookie season numbers), or taking back a prospect who has underperformed and may have worn out their welcome in their city.

Possibilities?

To me, it starts with Chicago where they have serious cap problems, and with an aging Hossa on RW, Yak may be a fit.

Can Yak and a pick get you Teuvo Teravainen? Or maybe the rights to Andrew Shaw?

I know Chicago wants a top 4 D man, but unfortunately we don't have much to give, especially with their cap situation. But would you do Yak and Sekera for TT and Shaw (in a sign and trade)? Guess it depends what Shaw wants, but if it's less than $5 million, then who knows?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671333 is a reply to message #671329 ]
Tue, 10 May 2016 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I think Carolina would be a fit. They need forwards and help on scoring. Its the eastern conference which doesn't play as big, heavy a style like the West so a smaller player like Yak might do better. It's a team where no one cares so a guy like Yak isn't in the spot light. The big thing is Carolina a budget team, so they would like a cheap player.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671335 is a reply to message #671329 ]
Tue, 10 May 2016 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Ducks? There was chatter of yak going there at the deadline.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671397 is a reply to message #671329 ]
Thu, 12 May 2016 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Well, the chances of a decent trade for Yak getting less likely. Apparently the Russian team isn't letting him play due to "injuries", even though Yak is ready to go. I think they might have told him that just to keep 3 spots open for the 3 Capitals that just flew in, including Ovi.
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/nail-yakupov-situati on-gets-even-weirder-with-murky-talk-of-further-injuries-fro m-russian-team-leader

Whatever it is, it doesn't make trade value any better, GM's don't like any questions regarding potential players, they relish certainty. Maybe we just keep him, wait until his play gets better, at least he'll be cheaper to sign now.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2016 18:59]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671399 is a reply to message #671397 ]
Thu, 12 May 2016 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 12 May 2016 18:36

Well, the chances of a decent trade for Yak getting less likely. Apparently the Russian team isn't letting him play due to "injuries", even though Yak is ready to go. I think they might have told him that just to keep 3 spots open for the 3 Capitals that just flew in, including Ovi.
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/nail-yakupov-situati on-gets-even-weirder-with-murky-talk-of-further-injuries-fro m-russian-team-leader

Whatever it is, it doesn't make trade value any better, GM's don't like any questions regarding potential players, they relish certainty. Maybe we just keep him, wait until his play gets better, at least he'll be cheaper to sign now.

Doesn't even have to sign - at least not soon. He's under contract for another season at $2.5 per and he's still RFA after that.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671400 is a reply to message #671399 ]
Thu, 12 May 2016 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 May 2016 18:06

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 12 May 2016 18:36

Doesn't even have to sign - at least not soon. He's under contract for another season at $2.5 per and he's still RFA after that.

Even better. He had an awful year, including that ref incident almost breaking his ankle. Chiarelli has time, Oilers aren't going to contend for the Cup next year, although playoffs are realistic, let him play, then evaluate the roster. Hopefully Yak does some off season work to improve.

That goes for Eberle as well, he needs to be stronger to be effective, he needs to be banging out 350-400 lb squats, get a more solid base, like Sid. (Sid does 500 lbs in training, Ebs doesn't have to go that high!)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671412 is a reply to message #671400 ]
Fri, 13 May 2016 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This definitely does not help his trade value. Maybe that says something about Yak when his own home country would rather play some KHLers which make no mistake is a lesser league over Yakupov.

Where is Matt Henderson when you need him? He's about as big of a Yak guy as there is. I would love to hear what he says and who's to blame. It was all the Oilers coaches and management and they were stupid with Yak. I guess the entire Russian hockey federation is a bunch of idiots too.

Yak is dangerously close to looking like the next Patrick Stefan.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671436 is a reply to message #671400 ]
Fri, 13 May 2016 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 12 May 2016 19:25

...Oilers aren't going to contend for the Cup next year, although playoffs are realistic...

Just kinda slip that in there eh. No big deal for the Oilers. icon_wink

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671437 is a reply to message #671436 ]
Fri, 13 May 2016 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Fri, 13 May 2016 11:52

...Oilers aren't going to contend for the Cup next year, although playoffs are realistic...

Hey, one can dream! :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671440 is a reply to message #671437 ]
Fri, 13 May 2016 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

I would keep Yak unless you are getting a similar player back in a trade. I don't care that he asked for a trade request. If there is no decent trade for him he can play here, if not he can sit out(I don't think we would go that far).
He can play on one of the 3 scoring lines, I don't care if you call him the first scoring line or 3rd it shouldn't matter, player to your ability.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671448 is a reply to message #671440 ]
Sat, 14 May 2016 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

To me id keep Yak, tell him if he's scoring and hustling he'll be on the top 2 lines.

Maroon-McDavid-Yak
Hall-Drai-Kassian/Pouliot

And move EBs and RNH for some defensive help.

Renaissance 2015

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671470 is a reply to message #671448 ]
Mon, 16 May 2016 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The one thing I really worry about Yak is he really seems to need someone to drag him along to produce. McDavid is going to make anyone he plays with way better but in watching Yak, he didn't piss a drop of offense when he played with "lesser" players. When he was on the 3rd line, I would have thought he would have been the best player on the 3rd line and elevating his linemates but he did the opposite. So my concern is if you play him with McDavid, is McDavid going to have to spend a lot of time trying to bring Yak up rather than worrying about just producing. You want to put guys with McDavid that compliment him but you don't want to put guys on the line that he has to drag around.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671750 is a reply to message #671448 ]
Mon, 23 May 2016 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

ChasinStanley wrote on Sat, 14 May 2016 07:40

To me id keep Yak, tell him if he's scoring and hustling he'll be on the top 2 lines.

Maroon-McDavid-Yak

For whatever reason the coaching staff doesn't like playing Yak with 97 even though they played that 8-10 game stretch together last season where Yak looked like a real hockey player.

Suspect the Yak thing is deeper than what we see on the ice.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671752 is a reply to message #671750 ]
Mon, 23 May 2016 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Mon, 23 May 2016 11:57

Maroon-McDavid-Yak

For whatever reason the coaching staff doesn't like playing Yak with 97 even though they played that 8-10 game stretch together last season where Yak looked like a real hockey player.

I'm reluctant to move Eberle because of the lack of right shots on the team. It makes him a unique player in that regard.

I'm not really looking to move Yakupov unless the return is there. If it's not, to me there's no need or no pressure to move him. Example: I'm not going to move him for a second round pick; I may not move him for a pick at all given that any player is 2-3 years away at best, and the team needs NHL players NOW.

IF I'm moving Yakupov - and I'm reluctant to do that until I have a better grasp on what the team has been able to do through free agency and through the summer - then I'm probably looking for another prospect that might need a "fresh start"... for example, someone like Valeri Nichushkin in Dallas. To me, that's the type of deal it would take, a live bodied, NHL player with some potential that may just need a fresh start... because that is exactly what we'd be giving up.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671757 is a reply to message #671750 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Maroon-McDavid-Yak

I'd set him up with McD for the first 1/4 of games to inflate stats then trade him.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671759 is a reply to message #671757 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mullet wrote on Tue, 24 May 2016 07:55

Maroon-McDavid-Yak

I'd set him up with McD for the first 1/4 of games to inflate stats then trade him.

So you want to put a player on McDavid's line and force McDavid to have to carry him in the hopes that he gets a bunch of secondary points and maybe the Oilers can get a slightly better draft pick? That makes ZERO sense.

Are you against the Oilers winning? I'm not trying to come off as a smart a$$, I'm being serious. The Oilers 100% hit the powerball lottery when they won McDavid. This guy is going to change the Oilers so as a team, you want to be putting players around him that compliment him and help him along. The last thing the Oilers should be doing is using McDavid as a trade booster for lousy players. On McDavid's line, they need a bigger player that will look out for him, create space for him, that will go into the corners and dig pucks out for him, that will screen the goalie and clean up the garbage in front of the net. Then they need a shooter. NO disrespect or hate intended for Yak but he's not a shooter. When he played with McDavid, he scored 3 goals. That's it. His bread and butter is supposed to be goals and his shot and all you can score is 3 goals? People will say "Well he didn't get to play with McDavid very much". Maroon played with McDaivd almost the same amount of games as Yak and Maroon scored 8 goals. So where's Yak's goal scoring?

The Oilers desperately need to turn north. They are moving into a new building, they need to win. I'm not saying they make the playoffs but they can't be bottom feeders yet. In order to do that, they can't be worried about trying to prop up the trade value of underperforming players. As much as I firmly believe you need to get as much for Yak as you can, you can't let trying to get a slightly better return for a player like Yak hamstring your team. The Yak thing is over, people need to come to terms with that and accept that. Get what you can and move on.

My god, the Russian coach comes out, says not adding Yak was addition by subtraction for the Worlds. The Russian coach said it was "injuries" and Yak said he's good to go. Yak got cleared by docs. I'm sure most players are dealing with bumps and minor injuries after their seasons are done but if they are good enough, they go. The Russian coach preferred to play players from the KHL - a lesser league - because he felt they were better than Yak. That's pretty telling to me.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671764 is a reply to message #671759 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 24 May 2016 09:17

So you want to put a player on McDavid's line and force McDavid to have to carry him in the hopes that he gets a bunch of secondary points and maybe the Oilers can get a slightly better draft pick? That makes ZERO sense.

Are you against the Oilers winning? I'm not trying to come off as a smart a$$, I'm being serious. The Oilers 100% hit the powerball lottery when they won McDavid. This guy is going to change the Oilers so as a team, you want to be putting players around him that compliment him and help him along. The last thing the Oilers should be doing is using McDavid as a trade booster for lousy players. On McDavid's line, they need a bigger player that will look out for him, create space for him, that will go into the corners and dig pucks out for him, that will screen the goalie and clean up the garbage in front of the net. Then they need a shooter. NO disrespect or hate intended for Yak but he's not a shooter. When he played with McDavid, he scored 3 goals. That's it. His bread and butter is supposed to be goals and his shot and all you can score is 3 goals? People will say "Well he didn't get to play with McDavid very much". Maroon played with McDaivd almost the same amount of games as Yak and Maroon scored 8 goals. So where's Yak's goal scoring?

The Oilers desperately need to turn north. They are moving into a new building, they need to win. I'm not saying they make the playoffs but they can't be bottom feeders yet. In order to do that, they can't be worried about trying to prop up the trade value of underperforming players. As much as I firmly believe you need to get as much for Yak as you can, you can't let trying to get a slightly better return for a player like Yak hamstring your team. The Yak thing is over, people need to come to terms with that and accept that. Get what you can and move on.

My god, the Russian coach comes out, says not adding Yak was addition by subtraction for the Worlds. The Russian coach said it was "injuries" and Yak said he's good to go. Yak got cleared by docs. I'm sure most players are dealing with bumps and minor injuries after their seasons are done but if they are good enough, they go. The Russian coach preferred to play players from the KHL - a lesser league - because he felt they were better than Yak. That's pretty telling to me.

Clearly, we do not have all the facts about Yakupov and the Russian team. We do know that the Russian teams have been plagued by internal politics the last few years. They are pressed to take and play KHL players, because filling teams with NHLers doesn't help sell tickets at home. Given that, I don't think you can look at the World Championships and draw any solid conclusions.

Yakupov playing with McDavid would hardly push the team in to a losing situation. They played well together in the past. If Yakupov is with the team this year, he's shown clearly that he's a good complimentary player, and so he's going to be more effective when playing with someone who he can defer to. He is not at his strongest when forced to carry the puck himself, so playing with someone like McDavid who does want the puck all the time is a decent fit. This is why Hall & McDavid haven't always looked like a matched pair - Hall wants to have the puck and drive the rush too. Yakupov understood very quickly when playing with #97, you give him the puck and then you just try to get open. Playing Yak with fourth liners, he becomes the catalyst for the line, and he's not the best person to have in that role.

As for will someone trade for him? There's likely a deal out there where the Oilers get a player back. He's a #1 overall pick just four years removed from his draft and some teams are going to believe the narrative that the Oilers have mishandled his development. I mean, who wouldn't? Someone will think that they have a better chance of unlocking his potential. Add to that that he's on an affordable deal, with only one year until RFA, and it gives teams all kinds of flexibility with that gamble.

I think Chiarelli's made it clear, he's not looking to offload him for a mid-range pick or anything of that sort, so if he doesn't get an NHL player (I think Nichushkin's a great example of the kind of player Chiarelli will target), then I think you'll see him suiting back up for the Oilers in October. And if he's here, the Oilers should be trying to get him going. It can help the team in two ways: A) a scoring Yakupov is good for the team's results and B) it helps to drive up his trade value. I think that it's unlikely he's here for the long haul, so boosting his value ahead of a trade? That's just smart.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671768 is a reply to message #671764 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 24 May 2016 10:07

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 24 May 2016 09:17

Clearly, we do not have all the facts about Yakupov and the Russian team. We do know that the Russian teams have been plagued by internal politics the last few years. They are pressed to take and play KHL players, because filling teams with NHLers doesn't help sell tickets at home. Given that, I don't think you can look at the World Championships and draw any solid conclusions.

Yakupov playing with McDavid would hardly push the team in to a losing situation. They played well together in the past. If Yakupov is with the team this year, he's shown clearly that he's a good complimentary player, and so he's going to be more effective when playing with someone who he can defer to. He is not at his strongest when forced to carry the puck himself, so playing with someone like McDavid who does want the puck all the time is a decent fit. This is why Hall & McDavid haven't always looked like a matched pair - Hall wants to have the puck and drive the rush too. Yakupov understood very quickly when playing with #97, you give him the puck and then you just try to get open. Playing Yak with fourth liners, he becomes the catalyst for the line, and he's not the best person to have in that role.

As for will someone trade for him? There's likely a deal out there where the Oilers get a player back. He's a #1 overall pick just four years removed from his draft and some teams are going to believe the narrative that the Oilers have mishandled his development. I mean, who wouldn't? Someone will think that they have a better chance of unlocking his potential. Add to that that he's on an affordable deal, with only one year until RFA, and it gives teams all kinds of flexibility with that gamble.

I think Chiarelli's made it clear, he's not looking to offload him for a mid-range pick or anything of that sort, so if he doesn't get an NHL player (I think Nichushkin's a great example of the kind of player Chiarelli will target), then I think you'll see him suiting back up for the Oilers in October. And if he's here, the Oilers should be trying to get him going. It can help the team in two ways: A) a scoring Yakupov is good for the team's results and B) it helps to drive up his trade value. I think that it's unlikely he's here for the long haul, so boosting his value ahead of a trade? That's just smart.

Politics? You honestly think politics was what kept Yakupov off their team? They hosted the World's. Are you telling me not wining the World's takes a back seat to playing KHLers? Come on man. If ever you want to ice your best team, it's when you have the games in your home country. They picked the players they thought gave them the best chance to win from who was available.

If the Oilers play Yak with McDavid, they aren't playing their best lines. That's not my opinion, that's not Yak hate, that's reality based on the what has been said and the actions of the team. The GM doesn't believe in him, the coach doesn't believe in him. I can appreciate and like to see the team wanting a player to earn ice time. I can appreciate rewarding a lower player with a bump up the roster once in a while I guess but you don't play a player like Pakarinen over Yak EVER if you believe Yak is a player. I like Pakarinen, I like the effort but he's a 4th liner. Yet he was played over Yak a lot. I know that McLellan wanted to send messages but he at the end of the say, he still wants to win. There is a fine line between sending a message and hampering your teams ability to win. At some point winning trumps messaging sending and Yak was passed over by a lot of guys a ton. So that sends a message loud and clear that in the coaches mind, Yak isn't a guy you can win with. The GM also said the same thing in his comments about the player. So as much as Chia and say he won't give Yak away, I have a hard time believing that Yak will be an Oiler next year. If winning is important to you, then you surround yourself with players you believe in. The coach and GM don't believe in the player so I don't see that all of a sudden changing in a couple of months because the draft pick isn't "good enough".

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671769 is a reply to message #671768 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 24 May 2016 10:42

Politics? You honestly think politics was what kept Yakupov off their team? They hosted the World's. Are you telling me not wining the World's takes a back seat to playing KHLers? Come on man. If ever you want to ice your best team, it's when you have the games in your home country. They picked the players they thought gave them the best chance to win from who was available.

If the Oilers play Yak with McDavid, they aren't playing their best lines. That's not my opinion, that's not Yak hate, that's reality based on the what has been said and the actions of the team. The GM doesn't believe in him, the coach doesn't believe in him. I can appreciate and like to see the team wanting a player to earn ice time. I can appreciate rewarding a lower player with a bump up the roster once in a while I guess but you don't play a player like Pakarinen over Yak EVER if you believe Yak is a player. I like Pakarinen, I like the effort but he's a 4th liner. Yet he was played over Yak a lot. I know that McLellan wanted to send messages but he at the end of the say, he still wants to win. There is a fine line between sending a message and hampering your teams ability to win. At some point winning trumps messaging sending and Yak was passed over by a lot of guys a ton. So that sends a message loud and clear that in the coaches mind, Yak isn't a guy you can win with. The GM also said the same thing in his comments about the player. So as much as Chia and say he won't give Yak away, I have a hard time believing that Yak will be an Oiler next year. If winning is important to you, then you surround yourself with players you believe in. The coach and GM don't believe in the player so I don't see that all of a sudden changing in a couple of months because the draft pick isn't "good enough".

You are talking about a national hockey team that wanted a balance of NHLers and KHLers for the Sochi Olympics, so yeah, it's pretty easily believable that politics would play a role in their World Hockey Championships roster.

For reference - here's the NINE KHL players from the Sochi Olympics:

#5 Ilya Nikulin - defence
#10 Victor Tikhonov - forward
#15 Alexander Svitov - forward
#24 Alexander Popov - forward
#27 Alexei Tershchenko - forward
#30 Alexander Yeryomenko - goalie
#47 Alexander Radulov - forward
#71 Ilya Kovalchuk - forward
#82 Yevgent Medvedev - defence

Kovalchuk and Radulov are talents, and probably deserving. Was Tershchenko's 25 point KHL season really better than some of the NHLers who were left off the squad? Popov had 34 points in 50 games that year. Svitov had just 14 points!

As for what we'll get for him, I guess we will wait and see. I will be floored if we give him away for a draft pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he's part of a package deal, or if we trade him for someone like Nichushkin. I have more faith in Chiarelli than to believe he'll give away a player with 100+ points in the NHL before his 23rd birthday.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2016 11:05]

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671897 is a reply to message #671769 ]
Fri, 27 May 2016 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Almost as if on cue, the Russians announce their World Cup team and include a couple head-scratching KHL players. Ivan Telegin scored 6-3-9 in 41 games as a centre for CSKA Moscow. Evgeny Dadonov is a small winger who had 46 points in 59 games playing for St Petersburg SKA.

Dadonov's numbers aren't terrible, but why Telegin? That's a Rob Zamuner-type pick for the Russians.

They also picked Slava Voynov, which is likely to upset a lot of people.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671898 is a reply to message #671897 ]
Fri, 27 May 2016 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 27 May 2016 10:47

Almost as if on cue, the Russians announce their World Cup team and include a couple head-scratching KHL players. Ivan Telegin scored 6-3-9 in 41 games as a centre for CSKA Moscow. Evgeny Dadonov is a small winger who had 46 points in 59 games playing for St Petersburg SKA.

Dadonov's numbers aren't terrible, but why Telegin? That's a Rob Zamuner-type pick for the Russians.

They also picked Slava Voynov, which is likely to upset a lot of people.

Telegin was VERY good for Russian in the World Championship. I believe him and the Jets are talking about him coming back to NA next year.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671471 is a reply to message #671437 ]
Mon, 16 May 2016 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 13 May 2016 12:54

DUFFMAN wrote on Fri, 13 May 2016 11:52

Hey, one can dream! :)

Well, if they're going to follow the Pittsburgh / Chicago rebuild formula (which they've been trying to do for 7 years) they need to be contenders and winning while important players are on entry level contracts.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671748 is a reply to message #671329 ]
Mon, 23 May 2016 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Montreal-Dead-Serious- about-Trading-for-Yakupov-e4/1/77138

I have always had a gut feeling that Montreal would be where Yak ends up and apparently now Ek thinks so too, so between his 100% track record and my ESP, I think it is now all but a given.

Seriously though, Yak would fit on that team IMO and I am sure MTL would like to see him suited up with his junior buddy, the only question that remains is do they have anything that would be worth it for us in return??

When we drafted him, it felt like it was because you HAVE TO take the best player available, but I always saw him as a trading chip. Unfortunately, the value of that chip has gotten lower every year since.

Right now if we could get Emelin and a 2nd for Yak and our 3rd I would be elated, but I don't think Montreal actually has a 2nd so I don't see a scenario that works...

EDIT: I should do my research first, MTL does have a 2nd so maybe????

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671762 is a reply to message #671748 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

messier11 wrote on Mon, 23 May 2016 09:50

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Montreal-Dead-Serious- about-Trading-for-Yakupov-e4/1/77138

I have always had a gut feeling that Montreal would be where Yak ends up and apparently now Ek thinks so too, so between his 100% track record and my ESP, I think it is now all but a given.

Seriously though, Yak would fit on that team IMO and I am sure MTL would like to see him suited up with his junior buddy, the only question that remains is do they have anything that would be worth it for us in return??

When we drafted him, it felt like it was because you HAVE TO take the best player available, but I always saw him as a trading chip. Unfortunately, the value of that chip has gotten lower every year since.

Right now if we could get Emelin and a 2nd for Yak and our 3rd I would be elated, but I don't think Montreal actually has a 2nd so I don't see a scenario that works...

EDIT: I should do my research first, MTL does have a 2nd so maybe????

I think it would be a miracle if the Oilers actually got a legit, decent NHL player back for Yak. I think the more likely scenario is the Oilers trade Yak for another underperforming player or prospect. People need to seriously take off their Yak jersey or Yak City t-shirt before talking about what Yak is worth. Maybe by a stroke of luck, there is a GM that somehow believes what Yak and Larionov have been saying and it's "poor, misunderstood Yak" in Edmonton but I don't see how. IF he was like Drouin where he hasn't played much in the NHL and has been up and down from the minors then Yes, I could buy into the whole "potential, just needing a chance" argument. But he's got 252 games under his belt with not so great results. He's on his second contract. He's going into his 5th season. If it hadn't of been for the lock out, he'd be pushing 300 games. That's a career for a ton of guys.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2016 09:33]

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671766 is a reply to message #671762 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b_1_b  is currently offline b_1_b

No Cups

Seriously RDOilerfan..we get it you don't like Yak as an option on this team going forward and you don't think we is worth a bag of pucks in any trade scenario. Your constant droning on in every Yak discussion gets tiresome. And your quoting of some sketchy at best internet journalists doesn't "prove your point". It shows that no matter the situation you are against anyone on here being supportive of Yak in a role that suits him and/or the team. Just change your sig. to "I'm a former Yak supporter...however he is useless and he should be dumped at all costs." Then I won't need to click on a forum that appears to show a new post only to see it is another one of your anti-Yak posts. deadhorse As has been shown he gets paid fairly by NHL standards for what he brings to the team. As such we hope the GM will act accordingly using this asset in trade, if proper value cannot be found in a trade he can fill a roster spot next season.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671767 is a reply to message #671766 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

b_1_b wrote on Tue, 24 May 2016 13:32

Seriously RDOilerfan..we get it you don't like Yak as an option on this team going forward and you don't think we is worth a bag of pucks in any trade scenario. Your constant droning on in every Yak discussion gets tiresome. And your quoting of some sketchy at best internet journalists doesn't "prove your point". It shows that no matter the situation you are against anyone on here being supportive of Yak in a role that suits him and/or the team. Just change your sig. to "I'm a former Yak supporter...however he is useless and he should be dumped at all costs." Then I won't need to click on a forum that appears to show a new post only to see it is another one of your anti-Yak posts. deadhorse As has been shown he gets paid fairly by NHL standards for what he brings to the team. As such we hope the GM will act accordingly using this asset in trade, if proper value cannot be found in a trade he can fill a roster spot next season.

Where is the damned like button when you need it.

I'm personally a bit of a Yak fanboy and still believe he will be a star in this league. But that's beside the point - the point as you state is that he is more than fair value for what brings to the table, and he can perform well in a supporting role and does not look out of place in the top 6.

If you can get a good return, awesome. If not, one less hole to fill.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671770 is a reply to message #671766 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

b_1_b wrote on Tue, 24 May 2016 10:32

I'm sorry if I have a higher standard of expectations for my team than you. I don't subscribe to the "good effect, participation club" like apparently some people do. This isn't my 5 yr olds soccer team that I coach where the most important thing is having fun. This is PROFESSIONAL hockey. Results actually matter. I go to Oilers games and they cost a hell of a lot of money. I personally think it's the teams job to ice the best possible roster they can. So if my "Yak hate" offends you, then oh well. But I have a hard time not saying something when I see a person in one breath talk about being tired of losing, wanting the Oilers to be better, wanting them to win, complain about the owner, complain about GM's past and present, the lack of progression, the organization is a joke, etc, etc, then in the next breath argue about how the Oilers need to play a player who the coach and GM don't want, don't believe in, don't think they can win with all to maybe get a slightly higher mediocre draft pick.

It's a results driven business. The Oilers have a player that in 4 seasons isn't doing what he's supposed too. Blame who ever or whatever you want, he was brought in to produce. He doesn't produce. IN 252 games, he has 50 goals and 111 pts. He was drafted to be a goal scorer, not a defensively specialist. He's supposed to score GOALS. That's his job regardless of what ine he plays on or who he plays with. He had 8 goals this year. He could double his goal total next year and that's still way lower than he's supposed to be scoring. You don't draft a forward in the top 5 of the draft to score mid teens in goals. So if you are serious about winning, then you get rid of the players that aren't doing their job. It's is no different than the real world. If you bring in a person to be a salesman and in 4 years he barely sells anything you get rid of him. You don't keep him around because he might have "potential".

But I will stop posting on Yak because I don't want to offend anyone else with all of my realities.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2016 11:08]

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671771 is a reply to message #671770 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 24 May 2016 11:03

I'm sorry if I have a higher standard of expectations for my team than you. I don't subscribe to the "good effect, participation club" like apparently some people do. This isn't my 5 yr olds soccer team that I coach where the most important thing is having fun. This is PROFESSIONAL hockey. Results actually matter. I go to Oilers games and they cost a hell of a lot of money. I personally think it's the teams job to ice the best possible roster they can. So if my "Yak hate" offends you, then oh well. But I have a hard time not saying something when I see a person in one breath talk about being tired of losing, wanting the Oilers to be better, wanting them to win, complain about the owner, complain about GM's past and present, the lack of progression, the organization is a joke, etc, etc, then in the next breath argue about how the Oilers need to play a player who the coach and GM don't want, don't believe in, don't think they can win with all to maybe get a slightly higher mediocre draft pick.

I can't for the life of me figure out how a person can say those 2 things and not be lying to some degree. It's a results driven business. The Oilers have a player that in 4 seasons isn't doing what he's supposed too. Blame who ever or whatever you want, he was brought in to produce. He doesn't produce. So if you are serious about winning, then you get rid of the players that aren't doing their job. It's is no different than the real world. If you bring in a person to be a salesman and in 4 years he barely sells anything you get rid of him. You don't keep him around because he might have "potential".

But I will stop posting on Yak because I don't want to offend anyone else with all of my realities.

Live your reality RD.

So, I'm fine with your take on Yak. If Chia decides the best thing to do is trade him for a draft pick or just dump him in Montreal, I've made my peace with it. The Oilers have been bad for a decade and (more) change needs to happen. My question is, are you at peace with the possibility of Chia deciding the best way to improve the Oilers is to start trading more useful assets (or more damaged by all the losing assets) like Eberle, Nuge, Drai, Nurse, or even Hall?

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671772 is a reply to message #671770 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

I can't for the life of me figure out how a person can say those 2 things and not be lying to some degree. It's a results driven business. The Oilers have a player that in 4 seasons isn't doing what he's supposed too. Blame who ever or whatever you want, he was brought in to produce. He doesn't produce. So if you are serious about winning, then you get rid of the players that aren't doing their job. It's is no different than the real world. If you bring in a person to be a salesman and in 4 years he barely sells anything you get rid of him. You don't keep him around because he might have "potential".

Dude, you can't go taking a stance like this, all bent out of shape saying everyone is wrong, you're the only one who is right, everyone doesn't care about winning, and you are the only one. It looks really bad.

Truth is, I find YOUR position to be highly inconsistent. You say the Oilers need to win NOW; I absolutely agree. And yet you're willing to trade an able-bodied NHLer who can play on the team NOW for a middling prospect that at best makes the club in 2-3 years? That's a move a team in a rebuild makes, not a team that needs to win now.

Whatever you think or feel about Yakupov, he's shown he can play in the NHL. Maybe not Top-line; maybe not Top-6 even, but he can play in this league, and he brings fair value for his deal. So if a deal is there that brings back another NHL player, okay, maybe you can consider it. But for a draft pick? You're absolutely not in a "win now" mentality if you are doing that, and you are making your club worse because you have one less NHL-caliber player on your roster.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671773 is a reply to message #671772 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 24 May 2016 11:12

Dude, you can't go taking a stance like this, all bent out of shape saying everyone is wrong, you're the only one who is right, everyone doesn't care about winning, and you are the only one. It looks really bad.

Truth is, I find YOUR position to be highly inconsistent. You say the Oilers need to win NOW; I absolutely agree. And yet you're willing to trade an able-bodied NHLer who can play on the team NOW for a middling prospect that at best makes the club in 2-3 years? That's a move a team in a rebuild makes, not a team that needs to win now.

Whatever you think or feel about Yakupov, he's shown he can play in the NHL. Maybe not Top-line; maybe not Top-6 even, but he can play in this league, and he brings fair value for his deal. So if a deal is there that brings back another NHL player, okay, maybe you can consider it. But for a draft pick? You're absolutely not in a "win now" mentality if you are doing that, and you are making your club worse because you have one less NHL-caliber player on your roster.

We obviously have differing opinions on what an NHL caliber player is on the Oilers. I don't subscribe to the 2 feet and a heart beat mentality. I believe every player needs to have a dimension that fills a need on the Oilers. Filling a need doesn't mean taking up a roster spot because you are marginally better than a career AHLer. If your dimension is to score, then score. If your dimension is to be defensive, then be good defensively. If your dimension is to be physical, then be physical every game. If your dimension is to kill penalties, then be a good PK guy. I also believe that in a cap world, you can't have one dimensional players on your team who's dimension is on a good night average. So in my opinion, in a cap world, you need players to either have multiple dimensions as in kill penalties, win draws, be physical, be defensive or have one dimension that is really, really good. If you don't, then in my opinion, someone else needs to take your spot.

Anyway, that's all I am going to say on Yakupov. I am going to resist the urge to further comment on him because I am sure there will be others that will want to debate with me. But I am a man of my word and I said I would stop "beating the dead horse" like others have alluded too.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671775 is a reply to message #671773 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 24 May 2016 11:30

We obviously have differing opinions on what an NHL caliber player is on the Oilers. I don't subscribe to the 2 feet and a heart beat mentality. I believe every player needs to have a dimension that fills a need on the Oilers. Filling a need doesn't mean taking up a roster spot because you are marginally better than a career AHLer. If your dimension is to score, then score. If your dimension is to be defensive, then be good defensively. If your dimension is to be physical, then be physical every game. If your dimension is to kill penalties, then be a good PK guy. I also believe that in a cap world, you can't have one dimensional players on your team who's dimension is on a good night average. So in my opinion, in a cap world, you need players to either have multiple dimensions as in kill penalties, win draws, be physical, be defensive or have one dimension that is really, really good. If you don't, then in my opinion, someone else needs to take your spot.

Anyway, that's all I am going to say on Yakupov. I am going to resist the urge to further comment on him because I am sure there will be others that will want to debate with me. But I am a man of my word and I said I would stop "beating the dead horse" like others have alluded too.

Meh. I don't agree with you at all on Yakupov, but I don't think there's any reason for you to stop posting on the subject. There's so little going on here right now as we wait for something newsworthy to talk about, a little bit of conflicting opinions is hardly the worst thing that can happen for the site.

I would agree with mightyreasoner that being flat out dismissive and taking the stance that to disagree with you means someone doesn't care about winning is a bit out of line, but by all means, if you can put together cohesive arguments about why deleting Yakupov, even if we get nothing, is addition by subtraction (to borrow the line from the Russian coach), then by all means, please do.

I'm happy to pick your arguments apart line by line, because there's little else to talk about here right now, and building a full post to generate discussion takes more time than I usually have on work days right now. Don't take that personally either - there's nothing personal there, just sharing a different opinion, and trying to sway any undecided people to my point of view.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671760 is a reply to message #671329 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Here? I too think the Oilers should keep Yak. He's a cheap option and has an opportunity to dis-spell the myth that he's lazy or thinks he's entitled.

The kid has upside, he just needs to find it. The Oilers need to find the key to unlock him as a serviceable winger. Letting him go for pennies on the dollar is not smart asset management.

The oilers have done that too many times in my opinion *cough* Brodziak *cough*

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #671778 is a reply to message #671760 ]
Tue, 24 May 2016 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I wonder if a trade with a team like Dallas could happen.

Everyone when talking about the Oilers defense immediately mentions Demers as one guy the Oilers should get. I personally am indifferent about him just because when I listen to hockey people describe him and I read about all the articles written about him, while he would be an upgrade on what the Oilers currently have (that's isn't saying much), he sure seems to not check off a lot of boxes. He's basically a right shooting Sekera. Sekera had a good season so getting Demers wouldn't be a bad thing. That being said, everyone that talks about him makes it sounds like its a done deal and he will be an Oiler in July. Which surprises me because he's a UFA, who's to say he makes it to free agency, let alone wants to sign in Edmonton. The good thing is McLellan coached him so he should have a decent read on the player that he is. So if the decision is to get Demers as one of their right shot guys, I am of the opinion that the Oilers need to go out and get his rights. Don't wait until July and cross your fingers you can get him. You have no idea if some GM decides to swoop him and throw money at him. If he is one of the guys you want, get his rights and pay the man.

So I wonder if there is a trade between Dallas. I have to think that Demers on the open market gets in the range of Petry/Sekera money. So around 5.5. Dallas has some UFA forwards that played roles to sign (Eaves, Fiddler, Moen, Sceiviour), who knows if they want them all back. They have Oleksiak to sign plus UFA's, Jordie Benn, Goligoski, Russell and Demers to sign. I can't see them signing them all. They have Jamie Benn's deal coming at the end of next season which will be HUGE. Could a trade like:
Demers rights + Nichushkin for Yak & Fayne, maybe an additional prospect or right. Totally made up by me but here is my reasoning. I believe Goligoski was in their top pairing with Klingberg, you have to think they want to sign him. He made 4.6 mill, he's going to get a pretty good raise. They keep talking big about this Steven Johns and how he's ready, who's a big, right shot. They got Oduya to play second pairing left. So with Benn coming up, can they even afford to sign Demers?

In Nichushkin, you have a bigger version of Yak. He's a RW/LW who shoots left. To date he hasn't lived up to expectations. Their points this past season were almost identical. He's do for a new contract this offseason. Would it make sense to switch out Yak for Nichushkin. If have to think Nickushkin signs for similar money as Yak. They are only 1 year apart in age. Maybe the change of scenery would do both players good. In Yak, you get a player that's already signed for 1 more season at a decent rate. You can try out Yak for a year, if he doesn't excel, you aren't tied to him after next season when you have to re-up Benn.

Fayne I am throwing in there because they are losing a right shot Dman in Demers, so they are getting a signed right shot back. Fayne is 3.625 mill for the next 2 seasons. That's probably 2 mill less than what Demers will make. If the future is Steven Johns who's on cheap deal at 725K, it balances out. You have a vet in Fayne that can help out the rookie if he is struggling and move up from time to time to time. In 2 seasons, when Johns is ready for his new contract, Fayne will be a UFA so you can walk from Fayne.

Again this is just my idea but maybe it is something that could work because for each team you are getting a bit of a project forward who hasn't lived up to expectations but both have some potential that maybe a new team might be able to unlock. The Oilers get the rights to negotiate early with Demers and in exchange, the Stars get a vet, right shot, signed replacement in Fayne that will be making 2 mill less than Demers. If the intent is to play Johns in your second pairing anyway, you have Fayne to play in your 3rd that can provide depth for a young player when they struggle.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #672514 is a reply to message #671329 ]
Thu, 16 June 2016 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Recent rumors have Yak being valued for a 3rd. If that's the case, I would keep him and keep trying to fix it. I'd rather see him bolt for the KHL then take a third as I find the offer insulting. It's ludicrous to hear people say you would need to add the fourth overall to get something. IMO the 4th will fetch a hefty price without Yak.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #672517 is a reply to message #672514 ]
Thu, 16 June 2016 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mullet wrote on Thu, 16 June 2016 08:16

Recent rumors have Yak being valued for a 3rd. If that's the case, I would keep him and keep trying to fix it. I'd rather see him bolt for the KHL then take a third as I find the offer insulting. It's ludicrous to hear people say you would need to add the fourth overall to get something. IMO the 4th will fetch a hefty price without Yak.

While getting a 3rd for Yak would suck and I understand the sentiment by fans that if that's all you can get to keep him.

BUT

He doesn't want to play with Edmonton anymore. He's requested a trade. He did it before the deadline. He had his agent due a radio tour talking about wanting out. He has not taken the trade request back. His coach won't play him in the top 6 because he doesn't trust him and doesn't see him as a top 6 forward. So as much as we the fans may not like the return as a team and organization, why would you keep a player who wants out, doesn't want to play the role you will play him in and doesn't have the confidence of the coach??

Aside from the Oilers having some gapping holes, I also think over the years they haven't been a cohesive team. You can be a less talented team but if you play as a unit, you can win a lot of games. I think we saw parts of them starting to come together as a team towards the end of the year. If you listen to Staufford talk about Yak, he has said many, many times Yak isn't one of the guys. He tends to stay to himself. He's not one of the guys that's involved in any of team functions. Maybe that's a cultural things, I don't know. But if you have a player who is already a loner and then decides he wants out of the team, how can you keep a guy that doesn't want to be part of the team?

I was done with my Yak hate months ago. This isn't Yak hate. I really don't care anymore what happens to him. If he stays fine, it's for 1 more year, he doesn't make a ton of money, maybe somehow he explodes. At any rate, I doubt they resign him and I am positive he would be left unprotected. So maybe the Vegas team would pick him up because he would still be young, probably cheap and maybe be a bit of a name given where he was drafted. If he goes, great, get what you can, the saga is over. All I want is for the GM to ice the best possible team which includes putting together the best collection of guys that will MESH as a team. My only concern about keeping Yak would be if it would impact the team concept of having a guy that wants out and potentially not overly happy being there and his role and if it would be a distraction because every time he would have a mic in his face, Terry Jones and company would be asking him about not being traded, if he's happy, etc. AND are we going to have know it all Larionov back in Edmonton doing the radio shows and standing in front of the press talking about his poor clients again.

The Oilers are enough of an S show already, they don't need another year of Yak not being happy and wanting out over their heads. So I think people need to keep that in mind with the return of a trade. The asset is one thing but the team and the rest of the guys being done with the drama is another thing.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #672519 is a reply to message #672517 ]
Thu, 16 June 2016 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 16 June 2016 08:48

......I was done with my Yak hate months ago. This isn't Yak hate. I really don't care anymore what happens to him.......

..and yet you still talk about him passionately. icon_lol Just buggin'..

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #672523 is a reply to message #672519 ]
Thu, 16 June 2016 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 16 June 2016 09:05

......I was done with my Yak hate months ago. This isn't Yak hate. I really don't care anymore what happens to him.......

I didn't bash him, I didn't list any of his flaws, I just stated the facts. He's not happy with his role on the team and wants out. I'd like to see him get another opportunity with another team and I really hope he does well. No one should have to work in a place they don't like. On the Oilers, it's pretty clear he won't get the chance to play in a role he wants. So why keep a guy so he can be miserable for another year. It's not fair to the team and definitely not fair to the player.

Re: Yak Destinations [message #672563 is a reply to message #672523 ]
Thu, 16 June 2016 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 16 June 2016 09:10

I didn't bash him, I didn't list any of his flaws, I just stated the facts. He's not happy with his role on the team and wants out. I'd like to see him get another opportunity with another team and I really hope he does well. No one should have to work in a place they don't like. On the Oilers, it's pretty clear he won't get the chance to play in a role he wants. So why keep a guy so he can be miserable for another year. It's not fair to the team and definitely not fair to the player.

I would venture to say most people work in a place they don't like. As far as Yak hating the city or hating the team so much that it becomes a burden on others, I don't think that's the case at all, in fact he has stated the complete opposite. He simply grew frustrated and wanted a bigger role. I think many people have grown frustrated in their jobs at some point but have found a way to work past it.

Look no further than Jonathan Drouin as to why it is not wise to give away a player with potential for unfair value. EXACT same scenario, actually it was worse...after growing frustrated with his role on the team he publicly asked for a trade then was demoted and then failed to report. After spending half the season pouting at home he sucked up his pride, came back with a fire under his arse and was one of if not the best Lighting forwards in the playoffs.

Who's to say we can't see the same turn around with Yakupov if he has the same attitude?

Re: Yak Destinations [message #672569 is a reply to message #672523 ]
Thu, 16 June 2016 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 16 June 2016 08:10

No one should have to work in a place they don't like. On the Oilers, it's pretty clear he won't get the chance to play in a role he wants. So why keep a guy so he can be miserable for another year. It's not fair to the team and definitely not fair to the player.

I agree with most of what you have posted pertaining to Yak and the impact it could have on the team having an unhappy player around.

However, are you really suggesting that it's not fair to Yak to NOT trade him? He signed a contract. A measly 2 year deal, with 1 year left. The only thing unfair about this situation IMO is the player going public with his trade request, thus making it that much more difficult for him be traded and hurting his value and his current team. Chia is under no obligation to trade Yak. Yak however IS obligated to fulfill his contract that pays him quite handsomely. And as far as the rest of the players go, they're professionals, also getting paid quite well. If they allow that to affect their play, they should change careers.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Yak Destinations [message #672570 is a reply to message #672523 ]
Thu, 16 June 2016 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 16 June 2016 09:10

Of all the crazy things said in this thread, posted as fact, when they are an opinion, this one is near the top on my ludicrous list.
- you rarely state facts, mostly opinions. As far as him not wanting to be there. He has said repeatedly that he wants to play for the Oilers but doesnt like his role. The trade request seems as agent driven as anything.
- lots of people work in a place they dont like. Lots quit when the dont like it. Those under contract are obligated to do stick it out.
- Not fair to the player?!? My word, that is the best of the bunch. I like Yak, I hope he finds his way, but at this point moving on is likely best. That said, he hasn't produced tangible results or improvement. Blame him, coaching, whatever but the fact is that he signed that deal and is bound by it. Nothing bugs me more than a trade demand or holdout of any kind.

You bang the drum on dumping Yak for whatever the team can get incessantly, even though you claim to be over it long ago. If it wasnt for the trade request and the 1st overall tag what he brings for the salary is adequate. Adequate enough to be patient. See Drouin, Jonathan.
If he can be used as the piece for a trade to fill a hole like RHD than of course you pull the trigger.

Giving in to a trade demand, for an under achieving, one time blue chip prospect when he is at his lowest value is likely one of the worst asset management strategies around in my opinion

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Barrie
Next Topic:The Larsson Alternative
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca