This day on October 2
Acquired: Reijo Ruotsalainen (1986) Jim Wiemer (1986) Randy Exelby (1989) Dave Manson (1991)
Departed: Don Jackson (1986) Steve Smith (1991) Kent Manderville (1996)

Happy Birthday To: Prophet, Oilly, Oddlot, Adam, stickler, L.Stanley, ETOWN HERO, Gator21

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Peckham sent down
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Peckham sent down [message #500449]
Mon, 02 November 2009 20:31 Go to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

After Isles game the Oilers sent Theo Peckham back to Springfield. Probably the right move, no need to destroy this kid at the NHL level now.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Peckham sent down [message #500462 is a reply to message #500449 ]
Mon, 02 November 2009 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nickxero  is currently offline nickxero

No Cups

I hope he gets another shot... but I also hope he deserves one.

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable." -Conn Smythe

Re: Peckham sent down [message #500507 is a reply to message #500449 ]
Mon, 02 November 2009 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

He is stink.

I guess this means Staios is ready to come back.

Good for Chorney too.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Peckham sent down [message #500514 is a reply to message #500507 ]
Mon, 02 November 2009 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil  is currently offline Dr. Oil

1 Cup

oilerinvan wrote on Mon, 02 November 2009 22:30

He is stink.

Good for Chorney too.

Once some bodies are healthy, I'm more than happy to have CHorney replace 37 or 77 (probably 37 because he's a left-handed shot).

Peckham was brutal on this callup.

Re: Peckham sent down [message #500526 is a reply to message #500514 ]
Tue, 03 November 2009 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Dr. Oil wrote on Mon, 02 November 2009 23:50

He is stink.

Good for Chorney too.

Once some bodies are healthy, I'm more than happy to have CHorney replace 37 or 77 (probably 37 because he's a left-handed shot).

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here a bit. He injured himself in pre-season, and missed out on a chance to bring his game up to the level it needs to be at. One or two games in the AHL isn't a good substitute for a training camp, and he may never have been at 100%. I liked what we saw from Peckham last year, but this year he's over his head so hopefully some time at the AHL level helps out.

Staios may have his issues, but hopefully he can bring some veteran leadership to the blue line and settle down some of those guys. Gilbert looked better last night, but both he and Grebeshkov have really struggled lately.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Peckham sent down [message #500536 is a reply to message #500526 ]
Tue, 03 November 2009 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 03 November 2009 08:41

Dr. Oil wrote on Mon, 02 November 2009 23:50

He is stink.

Good for Chorney too.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here a bit. He injured himself in pre-season, and missed out on a chance to bring his game up to the level it needs to be at. One or two games in the AHL isn't a good substitute for a training camp, and he may never have been at 100%. I liked what we saw from Peckham last year, but this year he's over his head so hopefully some time at the AHL level helps out.

Staios may have his issues, but hopefully he can bring some veteran leadership to the blue line and settle down some of those guys. Gilbert looked better last night, but both he and Grebeshkov have really struggled lately.

Yeah, I think all these guys will benefit when some of the harder minutes can go elsewhere. I think if Staios can get back, the group will improve and hopefully Souray is back by December. Peckham just needs some more time and will be better his next time up.

The team is precarious, they have one top 2 guy and one top 5 guy go down and the back end fell to pieces. I lay it on Gilbert and Grebs, who clearly should have been better but quite frankly have cost the team more than they've brought to the table. This team is not nearly as good as people thought they were on the back end.

Re: Peckham sent down [message #500580 is a reply to message #500536 ]
Tue, 03 November 2009 16:05 Go to previous message
goalpost  is currently offline goalpost

No Cups

With Souray out Staios is a top two / three guy and the poor play of Grebs / Gilbert's without having the other defensive pairings to do the heaving lifting on defense demonstrates that.

At the beginning of the season the talk was about the extravagance of riches in puck moving defenseman that the Oilers have, and what makes Staios valuable to the team his ability/willingness to dig in the corners -- which Grebs / Gilbert / Chorney [although he's a call up] are unable to do.

Other than Visnovsky for obvious reasons, losing Staios with Souray was probably the worst combination of injuries on defence for the Oilers. Recently with how Smid's been playing losing Smid would be a close second, although with Smid's flu problems that has been the case at some stages.

The injury to Staios and Souray puts our defensive core out of balance and Grebs / Gilbert are having difficulty defensively because of that.

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Islanders (Game #15)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Islanders (Game #15)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca