Oilers » Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #41)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: This nonsense is right... [message #456668 is a reply to message #456661 ]
Mon, 12 January 2009 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Ofer wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 09:46

AndersonRules wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 10:54

I'm not sure what you're even talking about - there may have been hype about then when they were drafted, but it's not like fans were crying out for them to be called up and given an audition with the big club FOUR YEARS after they were drafted (or is it more than that with Schremp now?)

Perhaps you weren't around then?

There are a ton of similarities between the mentality of Oilers fans with Rita and Schremp.

Rita was drafted in 1999 and we had people here in '05-06 wondering why the guy wasn't getting a shot.

I remember he was traded to Pittsburgh and scored a goal on a line with Crosby soon after he was traded. People were turning into basketcases around here.

It's the same every time, but the prospects have different names.

This is NHL hockey. Some fans dwell on failed prospects. Others move on and realize that there's little time to be wasted on Schremp and Rita.

Oilers fans have glorified our first rounders for years. Can't understand when they don't pan out. Always think there's someone to blame.

The truth is, sometimes the player is to blame.

I been following the Oilers since the early 80s!!! I was here. I was certainly never a part of the pro-Rita hype, if it was as powerful as you remember it being. At any rate. Like I say, I think the situation with Schremp is a whole different ball game. Rita got opportunities. Schremp hasn't. Rita wasn't thrown under the bus by MacT. Schremp has been, more than once.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: This nonsense is right... [message #456677 is a reply to message #456668 ]
Mon, 12 January 2009 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swany  is currently offline swany

No Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 11:03

Ofer wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 09:46

AndersonRules wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 10:54

I'm not sure what you're even talking about - there may have been hype about then when they were drafted, but it's not like fans were crying out for them to be called up and given an audition with the big club FOUR YEARS after they were drafted (or is it more than that with Schremp now?)

Perhaps you weren't around then?

There are a ton of similarities between the mentality of Oilers fans with Rita and Schremp.

Rita was drafted in 1999 and we had people here in '05-06 wondering why the guy wasn't getting a shot.

I remember he was traded to Pittsburgh and scored a goal on a line with Crosby soon after he was traded. People were turning into basketcases around here.

It's the same every time, but the prospects have different names.

This is NHL hockey. Some fans dwell on failed prospects. Others move on and realize that there's little time to be wasted on Schremp and Rita.

Oilers fans have glorified our first rounders for years. Can't understand when they don't pan out. Always think there's someone to blame.

The truth is, sometimes the player is to blame.

I been following the Oilers since the early 80s!!! I was here. I was certainly never a part of the pro-Rita hype, if it was as powerful as you remember it being. At any rate. Like I say, I think the situation with Schremp is a whole different ball game. Rita got opportunities. Schremp hasn't. Rita wasn't thrown under the bus by MacT. Schremp has been, more than once.

Do we agree that the best 2 players in Springfield got called up, Leave out Redoxx, Brule and Putolny are better than Schremp, and wasn't Schremp BENCHED in the AHL the other night, if he is so good why can't he create offense by himself. A guy on hockeyfutures said that Schremp is the closest player SKILL wise to Hemmer we have, well Hemmer can create for himself and MAKES the players around him better. All this talk over a guy that other scouts have said he is luck to be a FRINDGE player in the NHL just unbelievable. That article was at www.oilersnation.com. read it the scouts point out alot of info, and these were NOT oiler scouts

Re: This nonsense is right... [message #456687 is a reply to message #456668 ]
Mon, 12 January 2009 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ofer  is currently offline Ofer

No Cups

AndersonRules wrote

I was certainly never a part of the pro-Rita hype, if it was as powerful as you remember it being.

It was. Here at Oilfans.com? It certainly was.

AndersonRules wrote

Rita wasn't thrown under the bus by MacT.

That's not true, MacT ripped Rita apart on atleast one occasion that I can remember.

"And the fans do not like this one bit"

Re: This nonsense is right... [message #456695 is a reply to message #456648 ]
Mon, 12 January 2009 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longcat  is currently offline Longcat

No Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 09:54

I don't remember EVER being on a Jani Rita bandwagon; or the Mikhnov bandwagon. I'm not sure what you're even talking about - there may have been hype about then when they were drafted, but it's not like fans were crying out for them to be called up and given an audition with the big club FOUR YEARS after they were drafted (or is it more than that with Schremp now?). Thing is, I haven't seen a prospect so unprofessionally handled by the Oilers before - that's what fans like me are up in arms about. I've seen bad picks, I've seen disastrous drafts. But I cannot recall one prospect being thrown under the bus so often and repeatedly as Schremp.

I'm talking in specific terms of the internet fanbase that fixated on Rita's world junior performance as being a marker for greatness.

I have no idea why fans had any interest in Mikhnov but they were talking about him for years after being drafted.

The only reason fans who ignore internet banter know about Schremp is because he scored some crazy shoot out goals in a practice once.

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 14:57

I'm just going to say it, this Longcat fellow is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #456635 is a reply to message #456584 ]
Mon, 12 January 2009 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beerfish Revisited  is currently offline Beerfish Revisited

1 Cup

Longcat wrote on Sun, 11 January 2009 22:29

Schremp is terrible. Devalue what? His play is there for everyone to see. I haven't seen Oiler fans this enamoured with a prospect since the days of Mikhnov and Rita. Two other terrible players.

Well his 4 games up here suggested otherwise if you actually watched him play. In any case, fine, he's awful. He's the worst player in the AHL and stinks. 1) you are not helping your team get rid of the guy by publicly saying he is awful, only a bonehead would do such a thing. 2) At various points of this season there has been about 15 Oilers who have purely stunk to high heaven, not a peep out of MacT about them.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #456639 is a reply to message #456635 ]
Mon, 12 January 2009 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rockz27  is currently offline rockz27

No Cups

I thought Brule and Potulny were are 2 best players all game long. I think that is a scary scary thought.
I think Penner had a good third period also, too bad I would have benched him for playing so bland in the 1st 2 periods. That dude needs a red bull.
Smid took a dumb penalty, but he was physical out there, good to see.
I thought it was funny that on TSN they mentioned the Schremp thing, but said that Brule and Potulny were the call ups instead but forgot to mention Reddox.

So were a team that needs offense, so we have Reddox playing 1st line minutes with Schremp in the minors ...sure.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #456641 is a reply to message #456639 ]
Mon, 12 January 2009 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cableguy  is currently offline cableguy

No Cups

rockz27 wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 08:22

So were a team that needs offense, so we have Reddox playing 1st line minutes with Schremp in the minors ...sure.

Well, I wouldn't say he got 1st line minutes considering the olny forward with less ice time than Reddox was Macintyre. I really wish they would trade Schremp already so we can stop talking about him.

Still jaded but we've got McDavid

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #456681 is a reply to message #456641 ]
Mon, 12 January 2009 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

[quote title=cableguy wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 08:31]

I really wish they would trade Schremp already so we can stop talking about him.

Can't trade him: 1) MacT devalued him, 2) MacT blew his confidence, 3) Schremp could end up in the NHL and shove MacT's words back down the MacT gullet by turning into a fulltime pro, and 4) no one will trade fairly with the Oilers because they know they can probably get Souray for a puck bag, parachute T-shirt and snack size Doritos if they wait until Souray says he doesn't want to be in Edmonton anymore.

I am officially jaded.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #456683 is a reply to message #456639 ]
Mon, 12 January 2009 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

Do you people even watch the games or just depend on the lineups posted on the pregame thread or oilersnation and decide what's on the ice is superseded by a lineup card? This premise is so wrong, it's not even funny.

So for you and everyone else that thinks Reddox is on our first line, please try thinking this through as much as it may hurt.

Last night Reddox received 13 shifts and 10:27 of ice time. No power play, no penalty killing.

Scratched the prior two games before that.

Against the Islanders, 13 shifts, 9:07 of ice-time. Nothing on the special teams.

Against the Stars, 18 shifts, 10:47 of ice-time. One second short-handed.

Against the Flames, 16 shifts, 11:31 of ice-time. Zero special teams.

Please to all "Reddox is on the first line" whiners, please tell me which first liners in the league are receiving around 10 minutes of ice-time a night and no special team time. Dare ya to.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #456694 is a reply to message #456635 ]
Mon, 12 January 2009 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longcat  is currently offline Longcat

No Cups

Beerfish Revisited wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 08:58

Longcat wrote on Sun, 11 January 2009 22:29

Schremp is terrible. Devalue what? His play is there for everyone to see. I haven't seen Oiler fans this enamoured with a prospect since the days of Mikhnov and Rita. Two other terrible players.

Well his 4 games up here suggested otherwise if you actually watched him play. In any case, fine, he's awful. He's the worst player in the AHL and stinks. 1) you are not helping your team get rid of the guy by publicly saying he is awful, only a bonehead would do such a thing. 2) At various points of this season there has been about 15 Oilers who have purely stunk to high heaven, not a peep out of MacT about them.

Stop with the hyperbole. I said Schremp's play is there for everyone to see. I'm talking this year in Springfield, last year, junior. His faults are known by anybody in hockey that has the authority/ability to acquire him.

Mac-T isn't devaluing anything. There is nothing to devalue. Schremp is what he is.

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 14:57

I'm just going to say it, this Longcat fellow is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #456755 is a reply to message #456694 ]
Mon, 12 January 2009 16:41 Go to previous message
FunHater  is currently offline FunHater

No Cups

You are seriously going to accuse someone of hyperbole while stating that Schremp is terrible? Terrible? How so?

You are right, his play is there to see, the stats are there from junior to now. 145 points in 57 games in his last season in junior. 53 points in 69 games in his rookie AHL season. 76 points in 78 games in his 2nd AHL season. 3 points in 4 NHL games this season, 23 points in 31 AHL games.

I'll give you that his play needed a lot of improvement during his first season in the AHL. Amazingly, his game showed clear improvement in his second pro season according to anyone that actually watched the games. This year, I believe, he was leading the Falcons in points when he got his call up.

All that adds up to a terrible player? Right.

Yeah, the guy has been in a slump since he was sent back down and it is up to him to turn it around. Regardless, MacT's comments were unnecessary and showed a lot of bias. Everyone knows Robbie isn't a speed demon, so I'm not surprised to have his speed thrown at him if the coach is going to take pot shots. But soft? Soft? On THIS team? Can that argument even be made with our current roster? Shawn Horcoff has 16 hits in 41 games played. Rob Schremp had 3 hits in 4 games, with far less ice time. MacT would never call Horc soft though, would he?

Schremp supporters are accused of having blind love for the guy around this board, but I see far more blind hatred of him.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:At the Half-Way Point
Next Topic:GDT: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #41)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca