This day on March 4
Acquired: Patrick O'Sullivan (2009) Ales Kotalik (2009)
Departed: Erik Cole (2009)

Happy Birthday To: hardcoreoilfan, Oil/Rider, Hannie, bottletosser, oilcountry16, countrigal, oiler79, farly18, ARG!

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Winds of Change
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Winds of Change [message #706724 is a reply to message #706718 ]
Mon, 08 January 2018 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 09:59

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 08:53

Goose wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 00:17

Adam wrote on Sun, 07 January 2018 21:46

- the first shot fired here, and it's definitely at the players, who haven't lived up to the expectations the team had of them.

Quote:

Why has Oscar Klefbom’s game descended so far? What happened to sophomores Drake Caggiula and Matt Benning? Why have Pat Maroon and Zack Kassian not been the players they were last season? What on earth happened to Mark Letestu's usually dependable game? Why does Leon Draisaitl’s game come and go like the wind?

- That's Spector helping to lay blame at players' feet, naming names where the GM did not.

Spector represents the laziest of the lazy MSM.

Caggiula, Benning, Maroon, and Kassian are all scoring at basically the exact same rate they did last year. Benning has had his struggles, but he's a 2nd year defenceman coming off of a concussion. Chia not realizing there was risk there is entirely his own fault. Leon has been fine, not worth $8.5MM, but that's also on Chia. Letestu found lightning in a bottle last year on the PP - he was 11th in PP goals in the NHL!! I'm not sure what to say if Chia was expecting him to repeat that. He had 18 EV pts last year. He's on pace for 13 this year. Not great, but not a huge drop off.

He mentions the Eberle trade as a "sore spot for fans", as if he doesn't really think it was a bad deal (and I'm pretty sure he doesn't given his comments about Eberle being mentally weak), and then immediately shifts the blame saying that the "downgrade in wingers has been exacerbated by all the regulars having poor seasons". Except they haven't. Lucic's numbers are about the same, RNH already has 15 goals and 30 points, he only scored 18/43 last year.

Klefbom has had a tough year for sure, but I would say Chia's decision to not replace Sekera at all has had a way bigger impact.

This isn't about the players not playing up to expectations, not by a long shot.

So you think that all the Oilers players, forget having a better year, have been just as good as last year. REALLY? I am not coming here to pass the buck. There is blame to be put on the coaches as the special teams are physically losing them games especially at home and whatever adjustments or systems or whatever else the coaches are doing just isn't working. There is definitely blame to put on the GM as he made some bets on some guys and very few aren't working. But how anyone can not also put blame on the players and say they are not playing up to expectations is baffling to me.

Other than McDavid and Nuge, who on the Oilers team has even had an OK year? Nurse has taken a step. But who else?

Leon hasn't been terrible because points wise 33 pts in 39 games is a 70 pt season. But he's got 1 PP goal and 4 PP pts. He had 10 goals, 27 pts on the PP. So I guess 5 on 5 he's doing awesome scoring but what the hell happened on the PP?

Klefbom had 12 goals, 38 pts last year. He has 3 goals, 10 pts in 39 games this year. That's a 21 pt pace. How do you as a team project Klefbom scoring HALF the points he did last year? Maybe you assume he will score the same or ever so slightly less but HALF as much? That's massive. That doesn't even count how brutal at times defensively he has been for most of the year.

Benning at times last year looked like a guy who in short order will have a second pairing spot locked up. When Russell was signed, many people were pissed with the argument being "When Benning passes him on the depth chart...." Is Benning passing anyone other than Gryba who's a 6-7 dman? NO. As a team being that it's his second year, do you expect him to have some ups and downs? Absolutely. Do you expect him to not even look like an NHLer in probably HALF the games he's played? Not a chance. He's been scratched 4 times and on many a night he's been the Oilers worst dman by a mile.

Maroon. You say he is basically scoring at the same rate. HUH? He had 27 goals last year. He has 9 in 41. That's an 18 goal pace. As a team maybe you don't expect him to score 27 again but I don't think you expect him to be less than 20 and off McDavid's line because he's not good enough. Especially in a contract year. He hasn't been close to the say player with all the other things he usually does.

Caggulia had 7 goals, 18 pts in 61 games last year. As a team, do you seriously expect him to put up the same numbers again? Those are 4th liner numbers. I would expect him to at least slightly improve on those numbers. I don't see him as a 4th liner, do you?

Kassian hasn't been close to as good. He had what 4 goals called back last year. I thought he was a lock for over 10.

Slep I thought would be a lock to be in the line up every night. He doesn't even look like a full time NHLer.

Letestu has been brutal defensively. As a team you don't expect him to continue to score like he did last year but defensively, he's fallen off substantially.

Talbot was what 4th in vezina votes last year? He has a .902 save percentage and a 3.19 GA this year. Do you expect your pushing for a vezina nomination goalie to be putting up numbers you wouldn't even want to get from a back up? Are his numbers all his fault? No but he's been no where near as good this year.

There is what, 8 players I listed off the top of my head who aren't even having mediocre seasons. Leon is about the only one he's doing "OK" but I sure wouldn't saying he's having a good year. Where would the Oilers be if even half the guys I listed above for having average years? Hell if Talbot by himself was having just an average NHL starter year, they'd be a bubble playoff team.

So again, I am not giving a pass to McLellan, the rest of the coaches or the GM but there are WAY too many guys flat out playing like crap on many nights. The PK is a perfect example. On the road, the PK is I believe in the mid 80's. At home, it's barely 50%. It's not like they deploy different players on the road and a different system. It's the same guys, same system. If the players are blameless, then how can the PK as an example be that much different at home than away? If it's all the coaches and GM, then the PK should be just as crap on the road but it isn't.

People can complain about the Eberle trade and it being a downgrade. I won't argue with that. Strome hasn't been good enough but at the same time, I have a hard time ripping him when he's been on the 3rd line for the entire year. Out of camp, he didn't look too bad on McDavid's wing, scored a few goals, why the hell the coaches refused to try him with McDavid from the start is baffling to me. I had been calling for the Oilers to play Leon and McDavid on different lines in the summer and it took the coaches what 20 some games to break them up which is stupid. But if Eberle was here, Eberle wouldn't help them on the PK. Their PK is physically losing them games especially at home. Eberle wouldn't help them with the goaltending. The goaltending has lost them games all year long. Their defense and how bad Klefbom and Benning were, especially the first 20 games were losing them games. So while I am not excusing the trade, I don't see how the Oilers would have been much better because the 3 things that have been the major problem, PK, goaltending and the defense, Eberle doesn't help you with.

As PO'd as I am at almost everything to do with this org right now, if I step back, I think the 2 major issues we had this year were:

1) Goaltending. This is partially Chia's fault for not having a real backup, but Talbot was just awful for the first maybe even 2 months of the year. No team can build any confidence if they feel like every mistake they make will end up in their net. Add on top of that a coach that obsesses about every mistake and has his BFF sending you custom videos of every one of them, and you probably can get pretty mind-f'd. This team started off hot this year, had some bad luck not scoring, but coupled with the brutal luck from their own goalies and a coach harping on mistakes, they slowly turned to playing scared, and that is a recipe for disaster.

2) Special teams. This is at this point 80% a coaching issue IMO. This coaching staff is incapable of making the best use of what they have on the PP. And their stubbornness coaching our overly aggressive PK is getting ridiculous. Maybe the PK is better on the road, but i think some of that is just dumb luck. We have still been allowing glorious chances on the road and teams have just been missing the wide open nets. Overall, it's still a historically bad PK, and just at home, it's by far the worst ever seen in the NHL.

Again, how can you play aggressive if you think every penalty you take will end up with a GA? Leads to more playing scared. Guys still take dumb penalties, but it's usually out of frustration, knowing that another loss is coming. In general though, most of our players play like they are neutered unless we are playing a "rival" (if you can call them that, mainly Calgary, Anaheim and the Sharks). And the PP, just whatever at this point, keep trying to set Letestu up boys, I'm sure it'll work one day again.

So, IMO, those 2 things have cratered this season the most. Can add on top how Klef may be playing injured (rumour that he was injured last playoffs? Did the org convince him to not get a surgery because Sek was out already?). Lack of wing depth obviously is a problem. Larsson seemed to get his back messed up at some point, but season was already pretty much over by then. General lack of D depth an issue too of course with Sek out, especially if we knew Klef was gonna be constantly rehabbing an injury.

There is not much left to really pay attention to, this team has mailed it in. They all know the season is over. Eventually I'm sure they will start playing loose and for some pride again, and McLellan will get credit for turning things around, but we are in danger of this season repeating if we don't at least find some help for this coaching staff and get a real backup goalie IMO. And if we want to ensure we are more than a bubble team, we need to find a way to get another puck moving D in the top 4, and at least 1 more fast winger that can put a puck in the net. Dahlin can probably take care of one of those :) Chia needs to make a move for the other. And of course I am ignoring cap hell, but whatever, Chia or the next GM need to figure it out.

I agree with you a bit on the goaltending but not totally. On one hand they had Brossoit who's AHL numbers were pretty good, the organization had invested a ton of time developing him and at some point you have to give the guy the chance to prove himself. So how do you prove he can do the job if you bring in someone else. In my opinion, Brossoit not being able to be the back up is 100% on him. He turns 25 in March, at his age, he should be a cabable NHL back up if he has any chance of ever being a starter. It's all mental with him. But in hindsight, they should have had someone else. But where I disagree is I am not so sure how much of a difference having a capable back up would that have made. The Oilers schedule was pretty good in the amount of days between games for the first month and a half. They didn't have a single back to back until the middle of November. Every game had at least a couple of days between, some had more time between. So Talbot got plenty of rest. So I wonder how much any back up would have actually played? Talbot was way below his usual the first 6 weeks at least. Maybe a better back up gets in one or 2 more games but Talbot is their guy, he is coming off a season where he was 4th in Vezina votes last year. I just don't see how even when he was struggling you yank him and sit him for a stretch. I am not saying it's right but I just don't see a scenario where he is playing a ton less regardless of who the back up was.

I look at the Flames last year and this year. The Flames were a decent team last year but got crap goaltending for the first couple of months. THe goaltending got hot and the squeaked into the playoffs. This year, the Flames are again a decent team but they have gotten steady goaltending from Smith the whole season. The Oilers won 4 games in a row prior to Christmas where they played well but also got pretty good goaltending. Other than that, I can't remember a time when the Oilers have had really good goaltending for a big chunk of time.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 January 2018 11:02]

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Winds of Change
By: Adam on Sun, 07 January 2018 21:39
Read Message Re: Winds of Change
By: Adam on Sun, 07 January 2018 22:46
By: Goose on Mon, 08 January 2018 00:17
By: RDOilerfan on Mon, 08 January 2018 08:53
By: Kr55 on Mon, 08 January 2018 09:59
By: RDOilerfan on Mon, 08 January 2018 10:56
By: Kr55 on Mon, 08 January 2018 11:57
By: RDOilerfan on Mon, 08 January 2018 12:32
By: Kr55 on Mon, 08 January 2018 12:41
By: Adam on Mon, 08 January 2018 12:45
By: CrusaderPi on Mon, 08 January 2018 13:10
By: Gator21 on Mon, 08 January 2018 22:27
By: Adam on Mon, 08 January 2018 22:47
By: Goose on Tue, 09 January 2018 00:13
By: nullterm on Mon, 08 January 2018 01:17
By: NetBOG on Mon, 08 January 2018 03:09
By: Jakey on Mon, 08 January 2018 07:33
By: nullterm on Mon, 08 January 2018 10:56
By: Ragnarok73 on Mon, 08 January 2018 10:53
By: Fridge01 on Mon, 08 January 2018 12:13
By: Kr55 on Mon, 08 January 2018 12:19
By: CrusaderPi on Mon, 08 January 2018 12:20
By: Babaganoosh on Mon, 08 January 2018 12:28
By: Mike on Mon, 08 January 2018 12:37
By: JPro on Mon, 08 January 2018 12:11
By: smyth260 on Mon, 08 January 2018 12:20
By: Kr55 on Mon, 08 January 2018 22:55
By: smyth260 on Tue, 09 January 2018 00:45
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 09 January 2018 08:41
By: Goose on Tue, 09 January 2018 09:12
By: CrusaderPi on Tue, 09 January 2018 09:17
By: Goose on Tue, 09 January 2018 09:48
By: CrusaderPi on Tue, 09 January 2018 09:58
By: Kr55 on Tue, 09 January 2018 10:27
By: Dragon_Matt on Tue, 09 January 2018 16:06
By: ziltoid on Tue, 09 January 2018 17:43
By: JPro on Wed, 10 January 2018 12:12
By: Ragnarok73 on Wed, 10 January 2018 16:54
By: philly boy on Tue, 09 January 2018 17:43
By: Rocksteady on Tue, 09 January 2018 09:38
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 09 January 2018 10:26
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 09 January 2018 12:03
By: Babaganoosh on Tue, 09 January 2018 12:14
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 09 January 2018 12:43
By: CrusaderPi on Tue, 09 January 2018 12:53
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 09 January 2018 13:09
By: Babaganoosh on Tue, 09 January 2018 13:29
By: CrusaderPi on Tue, 09 January 2018 13:30
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 09 January 2018 13:39
By: Kr55 on Tue, 09 January 2018 13:44
By: Babaganoosh on Tue, 09 January 2018 13:45
By: St. Dumas on Tue, 09 January 2018 14:05
By: Babaganoosh on Tue, 09 January 2018 14:33
By: Kr55 on Tue, 09 January 2018 14:54
By: philly boy on Tue, 09 January 2018 17:41
By: PlusOne on Tue, 09 January 2018 14:55
By: Babaganoosh on Tue, 09 January 2018 15:01
By: Rocksteady on Wed, 10 January 2018 13:55
By: Adam on Wed, 10 January 2018 14:37
By: OilPeg on Wed, 10 January 2018 15:32
By: philly boy on Tue, 09 January 2018 17:47
By: Mike on Wed, 10 January 2018 07:31
By: Kr55 on Wed, 10 January 2018 08:05
By: RDOilerfan on Wed, 10 January 2018 08:50
By: HamBlaster on Thu, 11 January 2018 15:00
By: Skookum Jim on Wed, 10 January 2018 13:59
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 11 January 2018 14:13
By: mightyreasoner on Thu, 11 January 2018 14:27
By: Adam on Thu, 11 January 2018 14:50
By: Kr55 on Thu, 11 January 2018 14:56
By: HamBlaster on Thu, 11 January 2018 15:02
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 11 January 2018 14:52
By: mightyreasoner on Thu, 11 January 2018 15:52
By: Adam on Thu, 11 January 2018 16:17
By: Kr55 on Thu, 11 January 2018 16:18
By: mightyreasoner on Thu, 11 January 2018 16:23
By: Skookum Jim on Thu, 11 January 2018 18:31
By: Adam on Thu, 11 January 2018 16:06
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 11 January 2018 16:41
By: Adam on Thu, 11 January 2018 17:20
By: Skookum Jim on Thu, 11 January 2018 18:29
By: smyth260 on Mon, 09 April 2018 13:24
By: Kr55 on Mon, 09 April 2018 13:29
By: smyth260 on Mon, 09 April 2018 13:41
By: RDOilerfan on Mon, 09 April 2018 13:51
By: nullterm on Tue, 10 April 2018 20:26
By: mightyreasoner on Tue, 10 April 2018 21:00
By: Kr55 on Tue, 10 April 2018 21:12
By: g2k on Wed, 11 April 2018 10:15
By: Adam on Wed, 11 April 2018 10:21
By: K.McC#24 on Wed, 11 April 2018 18:36
By: Oscargasm on Thu, 12 April 2018 11:02
By: Adam on Thu, 12 April 2018 11:16
By: CrusaderPi on Thu, 12 April 2018 11:39
By: Oscargasm on Sat, 21 April 2018 13:35
By: CrusaderPi on Sat, 21 April 2018 13:54
By: Adam on Sat, 21 April 2018 16:23
By: Oscargasm on Sat, 21 April 2018 19:30
By: g2k on Sun, 22 April 2018 08:24
By: RDOilerfan on Mon, 23 April 2018 08:28
By: mightyreasoner on Tue, 24 April 2018 16:42
By: Kr55 on Tue, 24 April 2018 16:45
By: Rocksteady on Tue, 24 April 2018 17:07
By: HamBlaster on Thu, 26 April 2018 19:12
By: GabbyDugan on Thu, 17 May 2018 16:07
By: NetBOG on Thu, 17 May 2018 18:46
By: CrusaderPi on Thu, 17 May 2018 22:05
By: Magnum on Fri, 18 May 2018 13:27

Previous Topic:Wichita Thunder
Next Topic:What happened to Oscar?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca