This day on February 8
None

Happy Birthday To: bone, kermitology, aseef26, Steve Smith, Woodbutcher, Nataliah

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808245]
Fri, 03 June 2022 03:28 Go to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Where did Nurse of yesteryear go? Since Ocrober this guy has been the worst D on the roster. How do we ever get out from that contact. Imagine, we have a 5/6 d man making 9 million for longer then the 29 and 97 contacts go. This is an albatross of a contact. Actually, him making 4 million long term would be an albatross.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808248 is a reply to message #808245 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

https://sayingimages.com/wp-content/uploads/Did-you-know-Captain-obvious-Meme.jpg

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808249 is a reply to message #808245 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitmen4  is currently offline hitmen4

No Cups

I think it's important to keep in mind he's playing hurt right now. Reports are that he'll need surgery on a core muscle this summer, so take this performance with a grain of salt. I'm very aware he's playing awful at the moment (been on the ice for 10 of the 11 Avs goals this series), but he's not as bad as he is showing right now. There is a legit argument to be made that he shouldn't be playing right now, but that's on the coaching staff. Can't fault a guy for pushing through and gutting it out.

Despite all this, I do agree that Nurse at $9.25 is a problem. I see Nurse as a $6 million a year defenseman, a legit top 4 guy and someone you'd generally want around. I don't for a second think he's a 5-6 guy like you're suggesting. But with all the cap issues we are going to have again this offseason, I do think the play here is to get rid of him. Pittsburgh won two cups with Letang and a bunch of no name guys who were just steady and solid. In theory the Oilers should be able to do the same. Ceci and Kulak have been playing great, Bouchard isn't and shouldn't be going anywhere, we are stuck with Keith and Broberg looks like he's got a future here. So really there are two spots left. I don't have any specific players in mind, but the Oilers would probably be better off with two solid, no flash guys making $3.5-$4 a year than one Darnell Nurse at $9.25.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808251 is a reply to message #808249 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

He was terrible all year. This injury is just enhancing it. There is zero chance they can ever move that contact.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808252 is a reply to message #808245 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I disagree with both premises of this post. I think we (the fans) should stay laser focused on the western final simply because getting the experience of a legitimate playoff run is so rare. There's no reason to think this team can't win a game at home Saturday.

I would agree that going forward defense (and goaltending) is still a concern, but I don't agree that Nurse should be singled out. There is a strong probability that he'll never meet his contract value in a lot of people's eyes. That's ok. That doesn't mean he's a bad player or the team can't win with him. I also think it's unrealistic to expect a player like Nurse to sign for what you think he's worth. I think Holland would have been laughed out of negotiations if his opening offer to buy a bunch of free agent years from the teams 27 year old #1 defenseman was a raise from 5.6 to 7.5. Now, Nurse is not above criticism, he should be criticized. But spending a few hundred grand too much is not the tipping point.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808255 is a reply to message #808252 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

the only problem with Nurse is WHEN his contract was signed. If he was going to be signed for top dollar, it could have been done this year. Signing him last year, after a banner year was foolish.
If he played at the same level, he'd be worth just as much. If we waited until now to look at him, likely his price range would have fallen a couple of mil. Likely to the 7 range I'd assume. He's still our top Dman, eating top minutes against elite competition.
But who knows, maybe if THIS was his contract year, he's have performed better all year. never know.
I hope Holland retires.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808257 is a reply to message #808255 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 09:45

the only problem with Nurse is WHEN his contract was signed. If he was going to be signed for top dollar, it could have been done this year. Signing him last year, after a banner year was foolish.
If he played at the same level, he'd be worth just as much. If we waited until now to look at him, likely his price range would have fallen a couple of mil. Likely to the 7 range I'd assume. He's still our top Dman, eating top minutes against elite competition.
But who knows, maybe if THIS was his contract year, he's have performed better all year. never know.
I hope Holland retires.

What is his level he should play too? I am not counting the playoffs because clearly extremely hurt but I have heard some stats guys on the talk shows talk about him and his numbers defensively were supposedly good. He plays a ridiculous amount of minutes and most of that time is against teams best players. I believe he's near the top of time against elites with decent numbers. He's a +18 this year while doing that.

The only numbers that are "down" are his points but he had 9 goals, 35 pts in 71 games with next to no PP time. If he got PP time like most dmen that are "#1 dmen" you could probably add 15-20 more points given the Oilers PP. Barrie and BOuchard had 5 goals, 28 pts combined on the PP. So if you add that to Nurse, would that make it so he's "earning" his contract?

I see all of what Nurse does and means to this team. Yes he makes a few mistakes but generally when he is healthy, he doesn't make a lot of mistakes especially considering the minutes he plays and who he plays against. So what do you expect him to do to make it so he "earns" his contract in your eyes?

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808258 is a reply to message #808257 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

What you said is missing, is exactly what's missing. He's one of the best at being a mean steady force against elite competition. The thing that separates him from other top paid defensemen in the league is that they can also lead their power play. There's plently of examples of 2nd or 3rd pairing D that QB a PP, but they're not paid top tier salaries. The guys in his price range are top tier Dmen, play vs elites of other teams can play PK (though not always) and QB the PP.
If he's not offensively gifted enough to be our PP QB, then unfortunately 9 mil is an overpayment as it's money that now can't be spent on someone else that can. Finite resource, especially in a cap world.

2020-21 he was playing like a 9 mil defensemen. this year he's playing like a 7 mil one (by no stretch a bad player and clutchlikeeberle is off with his head in the clouds if he thinks Nurse is terrible), and that's an extra 2 we can't spend elsewhere. That's a 2 mil partner instead of a 4 mil partner.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808260 is a reply to message #808258 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 11:24

What you said is missing, is exactly what's missing. He's one of the best at being a mean steady force against elite competition. The thing that separates him from other top paid defensemen in the league is that they can also lead their power play. There's plently of examples of 2nd or 3rd pairing D that QB a PP, but they're not paid top tier salaries. The guys in his price range are top tier Dmen, play vs elites of other teams can play PK (though not always) and QB the PP.
If he's not offensively gifted enough to be our PP QB, then unfortunately 9 mil is an overpayment as it's money that now can't be spent on someone else that can. Finite resource, especially in a cap world.

2020-21 he was playing like a 9 mil defensemen. this year he's playing like a 7 mil one (by no stretch a bad player and clutchlikeeberle is off with his head in the clouds if he thinks Nurse is terrible), and that's an extra 2 we can't spend elsewhere. That's a 2 mil partner instead of a 4 mil partner.

Even if he's playing like a 7 million dollar player this year, he isn't signing this summer for 7 million.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808262 is a reply to message #808260 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 11:28

Even if he's playing like a 7 million dollar player this year, he isn't signing this summer for 7 million.

EXACTLY!! He got market value. I think the people that do not like Nurse will find fault in him no matter what he makes which is sad because he's a very good dman and critical to the Oilers success.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808267 is a reply to message #808262 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

he got market value, last year... when we didn't HAVE to do anything. it was a foolish decision by Holland to extend him at that point, rather than see if that level of play was Nurse's new norm.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808261 is a reply to message #808258 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

But he can't do that at the moment! He was all that during the season, there is numbers out there to suggest that. He has some kind of injury to his core that needs surgery to his core. So that means something is torn. Where does a person get their power from when you are lifting or pushing something? Your core. So if you don't have the same power from your core and you can't push guys around and do what he does best because of it, you aren't going to play well. Watch him. He doesn't go into the corners or hit guys because he can't.

You answered my comment. You said it yourself, he needs to lead the powerplay for you to feel he is worth the money. Well on the Oilers, he doesn't get that chance. On other team, I bet he does. So you are in my opinion punishing him for something that isn't in his control. Nurse is paid market value. He got what all the other guys got last year. So to me mad that he got the going rate and pick apart his game because you think he makes too much money when the market at the time says he doesn't, I feel is unfair and ridiculous. If you think Nurse is over paid, then you have to say all the others guys who signed at the same time and got similar money are all overpaid as well.

McAvoy is making 9.5 mill. Signed same time as Nurse. He scored 56 pts in 78 games, +31, 21 on the PP.

Hamilton is making 9 mill. Signed at the same time. He had 30 pts in 62 games, -19. 8 on the pp.

Werensky - Making over 9.5 mill. 48 pts in 68 games. -15. 14 on the PP.

Seth Jones - Making 9.5 mill. 51 pts in 78 games. -37. 19 pts on the pp.

Nurse - 35 pts in 71 games. +18, 6 pts on the PP. So if you look at the 5 on 5 points he gets, he's right there was every one of those guys. He just doesn't get the PP opportunities the rest do.

So if Nurse is way overpaid, so are all the rest that got signed right around Nurse, I think most before Nurse.

I'd be curious to know if you have ever liked Nurse as a dman? I ask because I believe there is a segment of the fan base that haven't liked Nurse from basically day 1. He's been on the team for 8 seasons and every year he has taken abuse. He's gotten better every game and for his entire career has outplayed his contract yet he gets hammered on over and over again. Now this next contract is a big one and he will not outplay it because he's making the tippy top of money he could get. But that was market value for the guy. He didn't take a discount like he's done the whole time and people are pissed about it. I would bet money that if he was making 8 next year, the same people would complain it was too much. I bet if it was 7, the same people would complain it was too much.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808271 is a reply to message #808261 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Loved Nurse right up till this season. I been telling my buddies all year be has played like the Toronto Cody Ceci.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808263 is a reply to message #808255 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 09:45

I hope Holland retires.

Why didn’t anybody say that at the time though?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808264 is a reply to message #808245 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Injured or not, he very clearly doesn’t have the mental capacity to adjust his game to make up for any injury.

But. We must focus on the WCF

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808265 is a reply to message #808245 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Clutch - I'm not saying that these are the only TWO options ...

But if you had to choose between
a) Signing Nurse last summer for $9.25M/year
or
b) Losing Nurse for nothing as a UFA this summer

Which would you choose?

I think it is fair to assume that Nurse would not have signed for less than $9.25M last summer. You then would have been waiting until this summer to re-sign him. In that scenario, I suspect that Nurse would have found a viable suitor willing to pay him, despite his injury-driven drop in play in the playoffs. Indeed, many would be valorizing his 'warrior' status for playing through a severe injury to try to contribute.

As for me and my house ... I'd rather a) than b).

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808266 is a reply to message #808265 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 12:27

Clutch - I'm not saying that these are the only TWO options ...

But if you had to choose between
a) Signing Nurse last summer for $9.25M/year
or
b) Losing Nurse for nothing as a UFA this summer

Which would you choose?

I think it is fair to assume that Nurse would not have signed for less than $9.25M last summer. You then would have been waiting until this summer to re-sign him. In that scenario, I suspect that Nurse would have found a viable suitor willing to pay him, despite his injury-driven drop in play in the playoffs. Indeed, many would be valorizing his 'warrior' status for playing through a severe injury to try to contribute.

As for me and my house ... I'd rather a) than b).

I honestly think anyone who thinks Nurse is getting 7 on the open market if they waited isn't living in the real world. Nurse is a big, physical, nasty when you need it, skates like the wind, play massive minutes, play all situations and can get you close to 40 points without PP time. If a person wants to say he gets a few hundred K less, sure, maybe. He wouldn't get 2+ mill less.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808268 is a reply to message #808266 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

but hose weren't the only two options. the third option was to simply not do anything last summer.
then if he's still playing at that level, sign him to a 9.25 mil contract mid season this year, or sign it at the trade deadline.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808269 is a reply to message #808268 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

3 Cups

The best option was to never bridge him in the first place. Klefbom would still be a steal if he was healthy. Nurse got his money, because we allowed it to happen.

Better lock up Bouchard to a 8 year deal at a nice cap hit.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808277 is a reply to message #808269 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 14:18

The best option was to never bridge him in the first place. Klefbom would still be a steal if he was healthy. Nurse got his money, because we allowed it to happen.

I wanted the Oilers to lock him up when the Jets did Morrissey. I believe there was reports out there saying he wanted a little above what Morrissey got but there was a debate I believe about how Morrissey is better which is freaking laughable.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808278 is a reply to message #808277 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

I am legit worried about the situation, it will also hinge on his surgery and recovery.

I've always been a Nurse supporter, but it does feel like his decision making is keeping him from reaching that next level. Maybe this injury slowing him down will force him to think more about his game and be wiser for it. I hope.

Nurse is still one of our best Dmen (when healthy). He does rely on his athletic ability to make up for not the greatest decisions, which has taken a huge hit from the injury and is on display now.

$9 million is probably more than he should be making, by $2 or $3 million. Until 2030.

In a "smart" hockey market where everyone has the salary cap on speed dial, we're already squeezed with 97 and 29, and loves extra criticism on defencemen.... this is gonna get rough.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 June 2022 17:34]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808281 is a reply to message #808277 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 16:00

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 14:18

I wanted the Oilers to lock him up when the Jets did Morrissey. I believe there was reports out there saying he wanted a little above what Morrissey got but there was a debate I believe about how Morrissey is better which is freaking laughable.

I mean I agree, it is laughable how people believe Nurse is better than Morrissey.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808295 is a reply to message #808281 ]
Sat, 04 June 2022 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Nurse can't fill Morriseys coffee cup in the morning.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808299 is a reply to message #808295 ]
Sat, 04 June 2022 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

1 Cup

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sat, 04 June 2022 02:26

You are a freaking joke. Get a damn grip on reality

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808301 is a reply to message #808299 ]
Sat, 04 June 2022 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Sat, 04 June 2022 03:41

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sat, 04 June 2022 02:26

You are a freaking joke. Get a damn grip on reality

Not to sound racist or anything, but I would swap them and retain the Nurse salary in a heart beat.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 June 2022 07:05]

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808270 is a reply to message #808268 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 13:38

but hose weren't the only two options. the third option was to simply not do anything last summer.
then if he's still playing at that level, sign him to a 9.25 mil contract mid season this year, or sign it at the trade deadline.

The risk is the agent saying we're not negotiating during the season and having to risk losing him July 1. I know it's unlikely, but I assume it has happened. Imagine the uproar is Holland had traded him at the deadline.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808273 is a reply to message #808270 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

He’s consistently inconsistent. He’s not dependable. He takes himself out of the play often. He can play nasty yes, but not smart. Hurt or not that has been his MO since he put on the jersey. It’s always been ‘he’s going to mature and be _______’. Well, he is now older and that hasn’t happened. He’s buds with Connor. That gave him an edge as being part of the ‘core’. I think they misidentified his contribution to the core because of his relationship with Connor. He can’t QB the PP, his point totals are poor for a #1 dman. I’d argue that he is a number #1 but again I’m true oilers fashion it’s a misrepresentation. On other good teams your #1 is heads above the rest. Our D corps are not top tier. It’s been an identified weakness for decades. Pronger was a #1. It was evident every shift he played. He did it all. Nurse isn’t close to that level and getting paid like he is. Paid for promise that he doesn’t deliver he is a good dman. One of the best on this team but not even close to being in the top of the league and shouldn’t be paid like he is.
Using the argument that he plays against elite players is a non-argument because someone has to. He just happens to be the person we have whether we like it or not. They can’t not have someone on the ice against the tough competition. It’s a stupid argument. He’s a good dman, not great, and nothing I’ve seen indicates he ever will live up to the hype or hope.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808275 is a reply to message #808273 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 15:14

He’s consistently inconsistent. He’s not dependable. He takes himself out of the play often. He can play nasty yes, but not smart. Hurt or not that has been his MO since he put on the jersey. It’s always been ‘he’s going to mature and be _______’. Well, he is now older and that hasn’t happened. He’s buds with Connor. That gave him an edge as being part of the ‘core’. I think they misidentified his contribution to the core because of his relationship with Connor. He can’t QB the PP, his point totals are poor for a #1 dman. I’d argue that he is a number #1 but again I’m true oilers fashion it’s a misrepresentation. On other good teams your #1 is heads above the rest. Our D corps are not top tier. It’s been an identified weakness for decades. Pronger was a #1. It was evident every shift he played. He did it all. Nurse isn’t close to that level and getting paid like he is. Paid for promise that he doesn’t deliver he is a good dman. One of the best on this team but not even close to being in the top of the league and shouldn’t be paid like he is.
Using the argument that he plays against elite players is a non-argument because someone has to. He just happens to be the person we have whether we like it or not. They can’t not have someone on the ice against the tough competition. It’s a stupid argument. He’s a good dman, not great, and nothing I’ve seen indicates he ever will live up to the hype or hope.

What if he plays well against the elite?

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808437 is a reply to message #808275 ]
Sun, 05 June 2022 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 14:43

jerekybeef wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 15:14

What if he plays well against the elite?

He doesn’t. He runs around caught out of position swinging his stick.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808272 is a reply to message #808265 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

B ALL DAY.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808274 is a reply to message #808272 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 14:51

B ALL DAY.

Shocker.

Your bias is at unreasonable level that I can’t take you for serious.

Nurse is playing horrible. He’s hurt. He shouldn’t be dressed. Also, if lost 3 fingers in a knife juggling accident this morning, he still might be better than Keith. Don’t hate the player, because he got paid.

Is Nurse is overpaid? For sure. He cashed in at a great time when he had all the leverage. Similar to Horcoff and I still remember the blind unreasonable hate he faced.

That group over 9M dmen remind me of a better version of the 6M men in 2016 (Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, etc.)

I’d blame Chiarelli first for bridging him (twice?), and then Holland for trading for Keith. The Keith deal freed up money and Caleb Jones to make the Seth Jones deal. That contract set the bar for that off-season.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808282 is a reply to message #808245 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

I remember the last time this board went Chicken Little on a long term extension.

How's that Drai extension looking now?

Just calm down and let things play out.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808285 is a reply to message #808282 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 19:03

I remember the last time this board went Chicken Little on a long term extension.

Or the time we played chicken and lost Smyth. He meant so much to the team and poof he was gone.

Nurse isn’t revered like Smytty was, but he’s definitely a member of the core and loved in that dressing room.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808286 is a reply to message #808285 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 19:02

Or the time we played chicken and lost Smyth. He meant so much to the team and poof he was gone.

Nurse isn’t revered like Smytty was, but he’s definitely a member of the core and loved in that dressing room.

Management played chicken giving him bridge contracts until Nurse and agent had all the power. And it cost them.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808287 is a reply to message #808286 ]
Fri, 03 June 2022 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 20:11

Management played chicken giving him bridge contracts until Nurse and agent had all the power. And it cost them.

Aaaaaaand it’s going to keep costing them as it will cause them to do the same with JP, Yamo, Bouch, McLeod et all due to the ridiculously high cap hit he signed for, which was the norm last offseason.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808294 is a reply to message #808287 ]
Sat, 04 June 2022 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 20:39

Aaaaaaand it’s going to keep costing them as it will cause them to do the same with JP, Yamo, Bouch, McLeod et all due to the ridiculously high cap hit he signed for, which was the norm last offseason.

Some of that can be avoided, but it will be 50% cap management and 90% moving out bad contracts.

Don’t try to figure out the math. It completely works.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808297 is a reply to message #808294 ]
Sat, 04 June 2022 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 04 June 2022 01:17

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 03 June 2022 20:39

Some of that can be avoided, but it will be 50% cap management and 90% moving out bad contracts.

Don’t try to figure out the math. It completely works.

Steiner Math!

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808293 is a reply to message #808286 ]
Sat, 04 June 2022 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

1000% and I’ll never blame the player. Nurse might be overpaid, but it is not his fault.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808296 is a reply to message #808282 ]
Sat, 04 June 2022 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I loved the 29 ext from day one and have never wavered. For many times minus 97 in this years playoffs 29 has been best player on team.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808312 is a reply to message #808296 ]
Sat, 04 June 2022 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sat, 04 June 2022 02:28

I loved the 29 ext from day one and have never wavered. For many times minus 97 in this years playoffs 29 has been best player on team.

And I still think we overpaid Draisaitl (at the time). There was no was we knew this was coming.

We got lucky.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca