This day on July 6
Acquired: Daniel Tjarnqvist (2006)
Departed: Ty Conklin (2006) Toby Petersen (2007) Brad Winchester (2007)

Happy Birthday To: Djwolfman, wolfman, OilFanAlways, Doushokutoaoiro, Dannycaper

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Minors » 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #806135]
Fri, 13 May 2022 08:17 Go to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-begins-quest-to-repeat-at-men-s-ho ckey-worlds-friday-on-tsn-1.1798849

Veteran coach Claude Julien will be behind the bench with the Senators’ D.J. Smith and the Coyotes’ Andre Tourigny as assistants.

Below is the list of confirmed players who will be representing Team Canada.

Forwards: Josh Anderson, Matt Barzal, Drake Batherson, Max Comtois, Dylan Cozens, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Morgan Geekie, Noah Gregor, Kent Johnson, Adam Lowry, Dawson Mercer, Eric O’Dell, Nicolas Roy, Cole Sillinger
Defence: Thomas Chabot, Ryan Graves, Nick Holden, Dysin Mayo, Travis Sanheim, Damon Severson, Zach Whitecloud
Goaltenders: Chris Driedger, Logan Thompson, Matt Tomkins

Finally, the IIHF completely kicks Russia out of an international competition. No phony committees or other rebranding Russia- THEY ARE OUT. icon_thumbsup

Go Canada!!!! rock rock rock smash

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #806172 is a reply to message #806135 ]
Fri, 13 May 2022 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

5-3 Canada vs. Germany today..

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/mens-worlds/event/canada-ge rmany-20220513?event_id=192338

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #806203 is a reply to message #806172 ]
Sat, 14 May 2022 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Sad to say that Team GB's dream like stay in the top division will end this season. We are struggling for goals at the moment, the loss of Liam Kirk is hampering us. Hopefully next year we can regroup, bring in some younger players to replace some of the older players and perhaps make another push for the top flight in a year or two's time.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #806356 is a reply to message #806203 ]
Sun, 15 May 2022 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Leia wrote on Sat, 14 May 2022 04:07

Sad to say that Team GB's dream like stay in the top division will end this season. We are struggling for goals at the moment, the loss of Liam Kirk is hampering us. Hopefully next year we can regroup, bring in some younger players to replace some of the older players and perhaps make another push for the top flight in a year or two's time.

GB loses a heart breaker to Denmark in a shootout.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm/gamecenter/playbyplay /27211/12-nor-vs-gbr

Canada overcomes a first period 1-0 lead by Italy to defeat them 6-1.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm/news/33789/canada_win s_sunday_matinee

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #806377 is a reply to message #806356 ]
Sun, 15 May 2022 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 15 May 2022 06:06

Leia wrote on Sat, 14 May 2022 04:07

GB loses a heart breaker to Denmark in a shootout.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm/gamecenter/playbyplay /27211/12-nor-vs-gbr

Canada overcomes a first period 1-0 lead by Italy to defeat them 6-1.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm/news/33789/canada_win s_sunday_matinee

An astonishing come back from 3-0 with 7 minutes to play to tie the game, we could have won it as well as Perlini (where have I heard that name before?) missed a penalty shot as well with 9 minutes left. The fact he then went and got a goal and a assist would have easily given him a chance for motm.

I watched some of gthe game, as I needed to go to work midway through the 2nd and we'd just gone 3-0 down. If we can pick up from where we ended this game in games going forward we might do the impossible again. It would be a bigger shock than when we sent France down to be honest for me, but stranger things have happened.

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #807186 is a reply to message #806377 ]
Tue, 24 May 2022 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

GB bid a farewell to the top division once again, hopefully we can be back quickly. We performed way better than most expected, could have beaten both Latvia and Austria in the last two games which would probably have kept us up.

Hopefully we can get Kirk back next year to help us come back up once again. It's been a fun ride and one that lasted way longer than to be expected. Reality is back to normal

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #807189 is a reply to message #807186 ]
Tue, 24 May 2022 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Meanwhile Canada lost to... Denmark? Denmark! The heck is going on over there? If this costs the country Hans Island I going to be very unhappy.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #807195 is a reply to message #807189 ]
Tue, 24 May 2022 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 24 May 2022 12:36

Meanwhile Canada lost to... Denmark? Denmark! The heck is going on over there? If this costs the country Hans Island I going to be very unhappy.

The Swiss spanked us earlier on too

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #807196 is a reply to message #807195 ]
Tue, 24 May 2022 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 24 May 2022 10:22

The Swiss are a sneaky good hockey country now. They now ranked 6th in the world replacing traditional hockey powers Czechia and Slovakia (imagine how good they'd be if they combined forces). I'm not surprised they beat Canada's world championship team. Denmark shouldn't be a threat.

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #807208 is a reply to message #807196 ]
Tue, 24 May 2022 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 24 May 2022 10:28

The Swiss are a sneaky good hockey country now. They now ranked 6th in the world replacing traditional hockey powers Czechia and Slovakia (imagine how good they'd be if they combined forces). I'm not surprised they beat Canada's world championship team. Denmark shouldn't be a threat.

Is this a Davos Cup lineup? Do we have much for NHLers there?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #807212 is a reply to message #807208 ]
Tue, 24 May 2022 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 24 May 2022 14:49

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 24 May 2022 10:28

Is this a Davos Cup lineup? Do we have much for NHLers there?

Pretty standard world championship roster. A mix a decent NHL players, marginal NHL players, and a couple Euro club players. This year it includes Canadian Olympian and former Sherwood Park Crusader netminder Matt Tomkins, which I think is neat.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm/teams/roster/26795/ca nada

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #807426 is a reply to message #806135 ]
Thu, 26 May 2022 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Canada gets behind 3-0 to Sweden going into teh 3rd period.. down 3-1 with 2 minutes left in the game.. score twice by Dubois and Barzal to tie it up for OT... Batheson wins it in OT in first minute (43 seconds)!

Going on to Semis.. Sweden NO medal.. thanks for coming out William Nylander..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #807683 is a reply to message #807426 ]
Fri, 27 May 2022 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Get in, GB hosting Group 1A next year so have home ice in the first attempt to get back to the top flight. Looking forward to getting to a few games next year now.

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #807820 is a reply to message #806135 ]
Sun, 29 May 2022 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Some of the worst reffing I've seen in hockey.. two inept Swedes.. decided the game with a blown 5 on 3 call. Great comeback by TC from down 3-1 with 2 minutes to go to tie it up and send it to OT.. then a another penalty in OT.. 4 on 3.. ends the game. Canada the best team.. but unfortunately drew the worst refs... how many times have you seen BOTH refs from the same country ina gold medal game.. ever?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #808122 is a reply to message #807820 ]
Wed, 01 June 2022 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 29 May 2022 18:37

Some of the worst reffing I've seen in hockey.. two inept Swedes.. decided the game with a blown 5 on 3 call. Great comeback by TC from down 3-1 with 2 minutes to go to tie it up and send it to OT.. then a another penalty in OT.. 4 on 3.. ends the game. Canada the best team.. but unfortunately drew the worst refs... how many times have you seen BOTH refs from the same country ina gold medal game.. ever?

When it comes to hockey, Swedes and Finns are like Oilers and Flames fans. No question the calls were bungled, but i don't see it as any sort of collusion (which isn't a crime anyways, right Pi?)

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #808125 is a reply to message #808122 ]
Wed, 01 June 2022 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 01 June 2022 16:13

When it comes to hockey, Swedes and Finns are like Oilers and Flames fans. No question the calls were bungled, but i don't see it as any sort of collusion (which isn't a crime anyways, right Pi?)

Never assume malice when incompetence is also an explanation.

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #808133 is a reply to message #808122 ]
Wed, 01 June 2022 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 01 June 2022 15:13

I think the Finns, Danes, Norwegians all hate the Swedes but not the other way around.. smaller countries hatin' the bigger one.. like the USA and Europe.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #808146 is a reply to message #808133 ]
Thu, 02 June 2022 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

or the USA and Canada. or the USA and Mexico. Or the USA and Australia. Or the USA and Russia... wait...

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #808147 is a reply to message #808133 ]
Thu, 02 June 2022 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 01 June 2022 20:02

I think the Finns, Danes, Norwegians all hate the Swedes but not the other way around.. smaller countries hatin' the bigger one.. like the USA and Europe.

Finns and Swedes are more like siblings when they play, it can get intense on both sides, but given that Finland was part of Sweden for so many years, it makes sense.

My relatives say it's bigger to beat Russia, given WWII and everything else.

Re: 2022 IIHF Tournament- Finland [message #808157 is a reply to message #808147 ]
Thu, 02 June 2022 11:48 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Thu, 02 June 2022 08:57

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 01 June 2022 20:02

Finns and Swedes are more like siblings when they play, it can get intense on both sides, but given that Finland was part of Sweden for so many years, it makes sense.

My relatives say it's bigger to beat Russia, given WWII and everything else.

Yeah I can understand that about Russia, Russia tried to invade them.. got their ass kicked.. I don't have first hand reference to Finns feeling about Sweden.. but I've heard it from some Danes and Norwegians.. like you said most likely sibling rivalry..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:2022 Entry Draft Rankings
Next Topic:2021-22 Condors
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca