This day on January 24
Acquired: Mark Napier (1985)
Departed: Terry Martin (1985) Gord Sherven (1985)

Happy Birthday To: ProzzakOil, Never Forget Mac #25, wylie99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual AssaultPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793562 is a reply to message #793559 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Bowman also steps aside from running the US Olympic team and it appears Bill Guerin will be his successor... https://www.si.com/hockey/news/bill-guerin-expected-to-be-na med-gm-of-usa-olympic-mens-hockey-team

BUT...

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-wild-gm-guerin-under -investigation-by-us-center-for-safe-sport-231719819.html

Yikes.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Send a private message to this user  

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793564 is a reply to message #793559 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 13:45

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 13:22

Quote:

Rick Westhead
@rwesthead

Tonight on @SportsCentre we're joined by John Doe, the former Blackhawks player at the centre of the team's sexual abuse scandal.

He has asked us to reveal his identity and you will hear him speak his truth. It's a privilege to offer a platform to someone with such courage.

I'd be pretty nervous if I was a Blackhawks player and I was lying about what I knew and when...I don't think much is going to stay hidden.

Quote:

@rickwesthead - For those outside Canada, we will post the interview with John Doe on http://TSN.ca shortly after 6 pm EST.

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1453456812179603467?s=2 0

From the report that came out it could be devised that Kyle Beach was John Doe. Now we know.

That was hard to watch. When Westhead asked him what he’d say to the Michigan kid, just gut wrenching.

Clean house or bust

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793526 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Tue, 26 October 2021 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Scoundrels.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793565 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

1 Cup

Reading through the TSN interview currently. Apologies to Oscar, but I hope Keith never plays a game again and Florida needs to do the right thing here with Quenneville. Both of these guys are stone cold liars. Strip Toews of the C while they're at it. I'm seeing red, this is all so wild. Unbelievable.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793566 is a reply to message #793565 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 16:40

Reading through the TSN interview currently. Apologies to Oscar, but I hope Keith never plays a game again and Florida needs to do the right thing here with Quenneville. Both of these guys are stone cold liars. Strip Toews of the C while they're at it. I'm seeing red, this is all so wild. Unbelievable.

I think Toews, Kane & Keith look bad here, but they weren't in positions of power to do anything about Aldrich and it isn't clear when they knew. Keith likely lying about it isn't helping him. I don't understand that and think he's probably got bad advice on that. He's more worried about burning people in the NHL right now than about doing the right thing and that's a shame.

I wouldn't burn him at the stake for it though. Nor Kane, Toews and Ladd. They're not the perpetrator and not the ones who could impact it. They really should come clean though. Denying knowledge is just going to make them look bad - especially, if like Keith, they deny hearing any rumblings or rumours even. It's just not believable with what others have come forward with. Whoever is advising them to keep silent is making a real mistake.

I agree with Quenneville. He's got to resign, and he probably shouldn't get hired again by an NHL team.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793568 is a reply to message #793566 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 17:07

I think Toews, Kane & Keith look bad here, but they weren't in positions of power to do anything about Aldrich and it isn't clear when they knew. Keith likely lying about it isn't helping him. I don't understand that and think he's probably got bad advice on that. He's more worried about burning people in the NHL right now than about doing the right thing and that's a shame.

I wouldn't burn him at the stake for it though. Nor Kane, Toews and Ladd. They're not the perpetrator and not the ones who could impact it. They really should come clean though. Denying knowledge is just going to make them look bad - especially, if like Keith, they deny hearing any rumblings or rumours even. It's just not believable with what others have come forward with. Whoever is advising them to keep silent is making a real mistake.

I agree with Quenneville. He's got to resign, and he probably shouldn't get hired again by an NHL team.

But, it would really mess up team chemistry if Coach Q was removed now. Can we revisit this after the playoffs?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793569 is a reply to message #793566 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 16:07

I would agree regarding the players. There are so many details we don’t know about. And for what it’s worth the report also has players saying they didn’t know about it. How truthful that is, I think will always be a question unless some more players start confessing.

If the players did know, I could easily see a situation where some coach or management staff says to them “You may have heard about this, we are looking into it, let’s just focus on winning the stanley cup”. And honestly as a player in that situation, I probably would not think about it much. That’s not exactly a situation for them to deal with, especially during the Stanley Cup finals.

Clean house or bust

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793575 is a reply to message #793566 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 16:07

I agree that Keith wasn't primarily responsible for doing anything about Aldritch. What we don't know is whether Keith was included in the group that harassed Kyle Beach about it afterwards. If he was, I would understand why he would want to pretend that he never heard anything about it. That's a bad look.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793577 is a reply to message #793566 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Hard disagree, Adam. Duncan Keith is now a 38 year old man. Every year that went by is another year of him enabling this behavior and allowing it to be pushed under the rug. This whole story seeing the light of day is minor miracle in itself given how little of a crap the team, the league and the NHLPA gave. Most media outlets wouldn’t touch it. It’s turning out they all knew and chose to bury the story.

Beach says the verbal abuse happened in the locker room, on the ice, and around the arena, and around media staff. He believes everyone on the team knew about it. And Keith still to this day claims otherwise. I think this is more than “looking bad” for lying. It’s abhorrent.

As for Toews, he either:

1. Didn’t know about it despite it being a much talked about thing in the locker room and on the ice (wasn’t Beach involved in preseason fights with teammates?)
2. Knew all about and did nothing

Both of these are signs of a garbage leader. He continues to remain silent on the issue. Strip the C. I know he was ~21 at the time, but it’s been a long time since and he hasn’t spoken up.

Keith gets nothing but boos from me going forward.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793579 is a reply to message #793577 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 18:14

Hard disagree, Adam. Duncan Keith is now a 38 year old man. Every year that went by is another year of him enabling this behavior and allowing it to be pushed under the rug. This whole story seeing the light of day is minor miracle in itself given how little of a crap the team, the league and the NHLPA gave. Most media outlets wouldn’t touch it. It’s turning out they all knew and chose to bury the story.

Beach says the verbal abuse happened in the locker room, on the ice, and around the arena, and around media staff. He believes everyone on the team knew about it. And Keith still to this day claims otherwise. I think this is more than “looking bad” for lying. It’s abhorrent.

As for Toews, he either:

1. Didn’t know about it despite it being a much talked about thing in the locker room and on the ice (wasn’t Beach involved in preseason fights with teammates?)

Both of these are signs of a garbage leader. He continues to remain silent on the issue. Strip the C. I know he was ~21 at the time, but it’s been a long time since and he hasn’t spoken up.

You can’t insinuate that Keith knew and then give Toews a possible pass saying maybe he didn’t know about it.

Other than that, completely agree

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793580 is a reply to message #793579 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 18:25

You can’t insinuate that Keith knew and then give Toews a possible pass saying maybe he didn’t know about it.

Sorry, didn’t mean to even suggest Toews gets a pass. Just that either scenario is bad, from a leadership standpoint, even if someone comes from a position of “maybe they all didn’t know”.

I watched the whole Keith presser from today. He shouldn’t have taken that interview. It’s just so obvious to me he’s lying. Pretty good questions from the media though. Surprisingly.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793581 is a reply to message #793580 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 18:39

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 18:25

Sorry, didn’t mean to even suggest Toews gets a pass. Just that either scenario is bad, from a leadership standpoint, even if someone comes from a position of “maybe they all didn’t know”.

I watched the whole Keith presser from today. He shouldn’t have taken that interview. It’s just so obvious to me he’s lying. Pretty good questions from the media though. Surprisingly.

Sorry, I may have misread originally.

I haven’t watched his presser and I’m not sure I want to. Even the transcripts of it make is sound like a guy who’s playing the ignorant card despite knowing dang well what occurred. If you get pulled over and the cop says your license expired, your ignorance of ‘not knowing’ doesn’t get you out of the punishment.

Coupled with what Tipp had said, it’s a bad look on the Oilers.

How do these businesses not have publicists to instruct the players/coaches on what and how to say it? Can’t tell me they were caught off guard by the questions today.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793608 is a reply to message #793577 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

As for Toews, he either:

I don't know what people think the players should have done. They didn't make the decision to keep the guy for the remainder of the playoffs. Many (most?) may not have known anything happened until after the playoffs. Toews is saying he knew by the following training camp. At that point the video coach is gone.

The player isn't going to the police, so it's not like Duncan Keith can go report Aldrich at that point. If he gave a reference for the guy knowing, then that's a different story, but it's completely feasible that they didn't know where he ended up.

If they were bullying the players involved, then that's absolutely scumbag stuff. Absolutely if they were involved in that? Tar and feather them all you need. But if they just knew? I mean, Sopel and Boynton knew and they couldn't really do anything. I don't know what you can do there other than maybe provide a little support.

Lying about knowing though? That's a really bad look and it's likely to catch up to you. Keith wasn't believable and didn't seem at all empathetic - despite his attempt at the start to seem so. He said he didn't resent management's handling, and didn't find a different word to say he regretted it. He didn't say he wished he knew, or that he wished there was anything he could do. He hit his original talking points and then he just denied even hearing rumours or rumblings about anything. He comes off like a bit of a douchebag. But that's not something you end careers over.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793629 is a reply to message #793608 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 20:02

As for Toews, he either:

I don't know what people think the players should have done. They didn't make the decision to keep the guy for the remainder of the playoffs. Many (most?) may not have known anything happened until after the playoffs. Toews is saying he knew by the following training camp. At that point the video coach is gone.

The player isn't going to the police, so it's not like Duncan Keith can go report Aldrich at that point. If he gave a reference for the guy knowing, then that's a different story, but it's completely feasible that they didn't know where he ended up.

If they were bullying the players involved, then that's absolutely scumbag stuff. Absolutely if they were involved in that? Tar and feather them all you need. But if they just knew? I mean, Sopel and Boynton knew and they couldn't really do anything. I don't know what you can do there other than maybe provide a little support.

Lying about knowing though? That's a really bad look and it's likely to catch up to you. Keith wasn't believable and didn't seem at all empathetic - despite his attempt at the start to seem so. He said he didn't resent management's handling, and didn't find a different word to say he regretted it. He didn't say he wished he knew, or that he wished there was anything he could do. He hit his original talking points and then he just denied even hearing rumours or rumblings about anything. He comes off like a bit of a douchebag. But that's not something you end careers over.

Didn’t Kyle Beach also say in the interview that he didn’t know Sopel or Boynton, the players claiming that everybody knew?

You have a black ace who’s never played an NHL game. You have players maybe knowing the victim in at most a very limited capacity. I’m not sure what we expect of them here.

Clean house or bust

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793635 is a reply to message #793629 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 23:05

Didn’t Kyle Beach also say in the interview that he didn’t know Sopel or Boynton, the players claiming that everybody knew?

You have a black ace who’s never played an NHL game. You have players maybe knowing the victim in at most a very limited capacity. I’m not sure what we expect of them here.

He said that he didn't know them well and that they weren't guys he kept in contact with. He said he really appreciated their support and their voices in making sure he wasn't standing alone on this. Remember, the team denied everything and suggested that they had investigated and found the claims baseless...all of which turned out to be lies. The only reasons that this is now where it is at are that A) the guy got charged in another case, and B) people like Sopel and Boynton and Paul Vincent spoke up and said this is something that happened and that people knew. Without that, the NHL would have happily swept this under the rug and not had to deal with disciplining two GMs and a long-tenured coach.

The most likely reasons that Kane & Keith have stayed silent on this is that A) they didn't want to have it impact how people in the league saw them and they thought silence would keep them from being involved in the story and B) they, like Toews, like Bowman & Quenneville and are glad they won a Cup that year and they know that in speaking up, it adds heat to those guys. They probably barely remember Kyle Beach since he never made the team or suited up for an NHL game, and the whole thing makes them feel uncomfortable to even talk about.

That said, lying about something like this generally gets exposed, and people are going to question the motive of someone who lies when their exposure isn't that great anyhow. Toews will take a little heat, but not that much. He said he knew about it at the next training camp. By then, the video coach was gone. He's taking heat for his comments about liking Bowman and McDonough and believing they're good people, and I think that's a little unfair. Just because your friend makes a bad mistake, you don't need to publicly disavow them and say they're a monster. I think you're allowed to feel pretty torn when someone you've worked with for ten more years gets fired for doing something stupid. Generally, I think people are going to come around on him faster than Keith and Kane though because lying about it, and saying you didn't even know who it was? That's going to make people question your motives.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793570 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

3 Cups

That interview was a rough watch. I'm not sure how Quenneville or Don Fehr can keep their jobs.

Cheveldayoff will also have to do some slick dancing to avoid going down. His only defence will be that his superior knew about it already, so what could he do?

Q was apperantly a leader of the "we can't disrupt" crew.

Beach said Fehr was made aware 4 times about the incident and promised to investigate, but never did.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793571 is a reply to message #793570 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 17:42

That interview was a rough watch. I'm not sure how Quenneville or Don Fehr can keep their jobs.

Cheveldayoff will also have to do some slick dancing to avoid going down. His only defence will be that his superior knew about it already, so what could he do?

Q was apperantly a leader of the "we can't disrupt" crew.

Beach said Fehr was made aware 4 times about the incident and promised to investigate, but never did.

The worst part about all of this is that were there any of these guys brave enough to actually investigate this, it might have stopped future assaults by this guy. He's clearly a predator. He identified young people who were scared for their career in the hopes that his relative position of power gave him security against them saying anything. The Blackhawks let him leave quietly, and then helped him to get other jobs working with younger and more vulnerable players. Quenneville apparently not only defended keeping him on the staff through the end of the playoffs, but then gave him a glowing (unsigned) reference letter! That's horrendous.

It's really crazy that Quenneville is coaching a NHL game tonight. He should have been suspended or sat out by the Panthers.

The one thing with Keith's denial is that it's going to increase speculation that he might have been one of the players saying derogatory things to Beach. It would have been better for him to go in to hiding and avoid the press entirely today rather than coming out and saying things of dubious veracity. He should have tried to follow Toews and Kane in to COVID protocols.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793574 is a reply to message #793571 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

1 Cup

I’m beginning to wonder if there was more to Keith wanting out of Chicago, than what he has said

Dunc sure has had a drama filled into to the Oils huh? I sure as hell don’t believe that he didn’t know.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793576 is a reply to message #793574 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 18:06

I’m beginning to wonder if there was more to Keith wanting out of Chicago, than what he has said

Dunc sure has had a drama filled into to the Oils huh? I sure as hell don’t believe that he didn’t know.

100% with you. I’ve dropped his candy @$$ from all my fantasy leagues and cancelled the Keith 2 Oilers Jersey.

No chance he didn’t know. Even if he ‘didn’t know’ there’s no way that any member of that team didn’t hear about it. Captain Serious, Taxi Cab Kane and Duncs can all go fly a kite. That Stanley cup team is tarnished more than the 2017 World Series Houston Asterisks

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793667 is a reply to message #793576 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 18:10

100% with you. I’ve dropped his candy @$$ from all my fantasy leagues and cancelled the Keith 2 Oilers Jersey.

I’ve been a Duncan supporter... but I would boo him tonight if I was in the building.

Keith losing the fandom of Oscargasm is the most heartbreaking part of this whole situation. Aside from the suffering of the victims, the rampant abuse and all the people that ignored it and let it keep happening of course.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793669 is a reply to message #793667 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

1 Cup

Quenneville resigned. Chevy next?

What kind of a distraction is Keith causing in the Oilers room right now I wonder.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793670 is a reply to message #793669 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 20:40

What kind of a distraction is Keith causing in the Oilers room right now I wonder.

Bettman's comment on Quenneville sounds he is pretty unhappy with Quenneville. Says Quenneville would have to meet with Bettman personally before ever wanting another NHL job and there would be conditions he would have to meet to be allowed. The tone sounds like Quenneville is unapologetic still about it all.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FC1MtEUWYB8zdFv?format=jpg&name=medium

[Updated on: Thu, 28 October 2021 20:51]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793673 is a reply to message #793670 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 19:49

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 20:40

Bettman's comment on Quenneville sounds he is pretty unhappy with Quenneville. Says Quenneville would have to meet with Bettman personally before ever wanting another NHL job and there would be conditions he would have to meet to be allowed. The tone sounds like Quenneville is unapologetic still about it all.

Given the interviews that Quenneville has given this week, his decision to coach Wednesday's game, and his resignation statement I don't get the impression that Quenneville thinks he did anything wrong at all.

Quote:

In a statement released to TSN, Quenneville said he resigned “with deep regret and contrition."

“I want to express my sorrow for the pain this young man, Kyle Beach, has suffered. My former team, the Blackhawks, failed Kyle and I own my share of that," Quenneville said. “I want to reflect on how all of this happened and take the time to educate myself on ensuring hockey spaces are safe for everyone."

It's pretty obvious how all of this happened, I'm not sure how much reflection is needed there.

https://www.tsn.ca/joel-quenneville-resigns-as-head-coach-of -panthers-1.1713131

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793676 is a reply to message #793673 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

This incident should have set off some alarm bells around the NHL.

https://celebhook.com/where-is-brad-aldrich-now-update-2021/

The NHL settles some player salary disputes with totally neutral Arbitrators. Rather have the all-knowing Gary Bettman head this investigation and decide what disciplinary measures need to be taken, would it not be prudent to have independent arbitrators investigate this horrible situation?

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793678 is a reply to message #793673 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm glad to see Quenneville gone. He's identified in the report of pushing to bury things so as not to disrupt the team, he gave a reference for Aldrich despite knowing the circumstances around his departure - leading to more sexual assaults, and he's shown zero contrition in his media appearances the last couple days. If anything, he seemed combative in the one. He really had to go.

I'm curious to see what happens with Cheveldayoff. More than anyone else in that room, he has a chance of getting out of it. As the assistant GM, he had less say in the final decision than Bowman or McDonough, or even Quenneville, who would be responsible for the coaching staff. It really isn't clear from the report what he said in the meeting. He expressed shock and surprise, and suggests that the resolution was that the team would take steps to keep Aldrich away from players.

Honestly, I'm not sure just being in the room is enough to get you blackballed for life - although lying about knowing about anything over the last few months is definitely not ideal. The NHL is definitely on the warpath about this, so who knows but I could see a reasonable path to letting Cheveldayoff off the hook.

And as I type this, the NHL makes a decision and he's allowed to keep his job:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-statement-on-jets-general-manag er-cheveldayoff/c-327363124

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793572 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I’ve been a Duncan supporter... but I would boo him tonight if I was in the building.

Also... how in the F is Coach Q behind the bench in Florida right now??

Don Fehr knew, and regardless of when... when did Gary Bettman learn of this? It could go even further downhill REAL quick for the league if it comes out Gary was made aware back in 2010 or shortly thereafter

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793582 is a reply to message #793572 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Keith can wonder off into the sunset and stick the Hawks with a huge cap re-capture.

Curious to know how well this was known throughout the entire NHL. With the league being such a small fraternity, I’d be surprised if rumours weren’t floating around the golf courses for at least a few summers and brought back to life this year. I’m thinking 100’s of people knew and said sweet fart all.

Love the sport. Hate the culture.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793583 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

RE; Keith, Toews, Kane, etc

I read today that Keith was not even questioned in the investigation. Wasn't there something like 125 people interviewed or questioned?
If this is true it leads me to a couple of other questions;
- Did Beach not name names when it came to players who knew/made comments about the problems
- if so, why go this far and not name players?
- If he did name names why weren't they interviewed?
- is there a chance that the players didn't actually know about Aldrich's behavior and any homophobic slurs were coincidental (note; this doesn't excuse use of them but as any hockey player knows they were, and still are, very common, in hockey)
- If he didn't name names is it still Beach honoring the old locker room code and not throwing them under the bus?

I find it almost impossible that the players didn't know.
I also find it equally impossible that their names never came up directly and thus would have been interviewed.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793595 is a reply to message #793583 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 19:47

I read today that Keith was not even questioned in the investigation. Wasn't there something like 125 people interviewed or questioned?
- Did Beach not name names when it came to players who knew/made comments about the problems
- is there a chance that the players didn't actually know about Aldrich's behavior and any homophobic slurs were coincidental (note; this doesn't excuse use of them but as any hockey player knows they were, and still are, very common, in hockey)
- If he didn't name names is it still Beach honoring the old locker room code and not throwing them under the bus?

I also find it equally impossible that their names never came up directly and thus would have been interviewed.

37 team members and employees of the Blackhawks refused to be interviewed. It would be surprising if they talked to a number of black aces and depth players and not the leadership group. I would say there's a high probability that Keith refused to take part in the investigation.

Someone mentioned the Oilers PR and asked if the Oilers don't have someone coaching players and coaches before they go out for these things. I don't think the Oilers value that. They rely on the media being so friendly as to not put them in tough positions (unless the Oilers want a player put in a tough situation - see Yakupov).

And really, can you blame them when you have this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCvrucqUcAExu0G?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793609 is a reply to message #793595 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 20:37

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 19:47

37 team members and employees of the Blackhawks refused to be interviewed. It would be surprising if they talked to a number of black aces and depth players and not the leadership group. I would say there's a high probability that Keith refused to take part in the investigation.

I hadn't read that. It makes a lot more sense now that is could be true he wasn't interviewed.
What a mess. I hope everyone who knew and could have done something more are held accountable. I hope those that knew and actively covered it up never work in hockey again.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793664 is a reply to message #793609 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 21:03

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 20:37

I hadn't read that. It makes a lot more sense now that is could be true he wasn't interviewed.
What a mess. I hope everyone who knew and could have done something more are held accountable. I hope those that knew and actively covered it up never work in hockey again.

And here it is:

Quote:

Ryan Rishaug
@TSNRyanRishaug

Following up on this detail from yesterday. Keith was asked by the law firm (via the PA) to be interviewed, but given the option he declined. His reasoning, because he did not know anything about the allegation previously, he didn’t believe he had anything to contribute.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793586 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Just listened to the entire interview. Media did not hold back, which is surprising and they should be credited for actually being journalists.

Keith needs empathy and compassion training. Even if he was unaware, he came across as a bag of crap. He should have at the very least blasted the way it was handled and his wishy, washy answers reek of a cover-up.

Can’t condemn someone without evidence, but if even a shade of light falls on Keith’s feet, the Oil need to move on. I could honestly see this being his last NHL season. Fade away at the season’s completion and disappear.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793588 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Coach Q tonight

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BossyUnconsciousBlacknorwegianelkhound-size_restricted.gif

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793590 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Post game pressers today;

Joel Quenneville does not address media following #FlaPanthers win - instead GM Bill Zito does. Basically says “no comment” until after meeting with Gary Bettman which he says is tomorrow at 2
O-Gasm’s take: Coach Q. Coward. No dignity, no doubt.

Patrick Kane, speaking via Zoom in COVID protocol, on Kyle Beach:
"I knew Kyle pretty well from a couple different training camps. He seemed like a happy-go-lucky guy... I wish back then we could've done some different things or known some different things to helped him." Kane says he didn't know about the sexual assault and didn't even know John Doe was Beach until today.
O-Gasm’s take: Liar, Liar.

Toews: "I don't wish to exonerate myself in any situation by saying I didn't know. But the truth is I hadn't heard about it until training camp the next year. That doesn't change what happened. It doesn't make it go away. We wish we could have done something differently, myself included. My heart goes out to Kyle for what he dealt with. Wish I could have done something. It's not an excuse looking back, but the truth is a lot of us were focused on just playing hockey.”

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2021 20:43]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793597 is a reply to message #793590 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 20:31

Post game pressers today;

Joel Quenneville does not address media following #FlaPanthers win - instead GM Bill Zito does. Basically says “no comment” until after meeting with Gary Bettman which he says is tomorrow at 2
O-Gasm’s take: Coach Q. Coward. No dignity, no doubt.

Patrick Kane, speaking via Zoom in COVID protocol, on Kyle Beach:
"I knew Kyle pretty well from a couple different training camps. He seemed like a happy-go-lucky guy... I wish back then we could've done some different things or known some different things to helped him." Kane says he didn't know about the sexual assault and didn't even know John Doe was Beach until today.
O-Gasm’s take: Liar, Liar.

Kane seems like a wholesome guy. No need to not trust him.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793594 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Duncan Keith claims he didn’t know.

Patrick Kane claims he didn’t know about the assault and didn’t know that Kyle Beach, who he claims to have known pretty well, is John Doe.

P. A. T. H. E. T. I. C.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793615 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Too bad a reporter didn’t ask Keith if he was asked for an interview. I would be interested to know if he refused.

Overall good questions though.

Duncan looked a bit flush. Perhaps he was still warm from the skate though.

#firebob

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793616 is a reply to message #793615 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 21:48

Too bad a reporter didn’t ask Keith if he was asked for an interview. I would be interested to know if he refused.

And Sportsnet pulled the video of Gene and Spec talking about how Keith might have changed things for everyone if only he'd known.

I am still baffled that that story gets the green light. Keith didn't say he wished he knew, or that he'd have done anything different. What's the point of creating that content and giving him additional cover? Just seems like something more likely than not to blow up on you.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793636 is a reply to message #793616 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 20:52

g2k wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 21:48

And Sportsnet pulled the video of Gene and Spec talking about how Keith might have changed things for everyone if only he'd known.

I am still baffled that that story gets the green light. Keith didn't say he wished he knew, or that he'd have done anything different. What's the point of creating that content and giving him additional cover? Just seems like something more likely than not to blow up on you.

Hockey players are already notorious with safe answers. With a fire storm coming, I wouldn't expect anyone to say anything more than they have.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793633 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Seems everyone not knee deep already with proof remains determined to sweep it all under the rug. Can't say I expected any more.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793637 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kyle Beach's interview was a tough watch.

Absolutely gutting to see the guilt that he's still carrying for not doing more (and, to be clear, I'm not blaming him at all), to stop Aldrich from going on an assaulting the 16 year old kid. And infuriating to see guys like Quenneville stand up and say they didn't know anything about it and seemingly have no remorse for their role in not only allowing abuse against a young man that they were supposed to be leaders of, but also, through their inaction allowing at least one kid (and probably more), to be abused by this same guy.

Hilarious for Mark Spector to say in Keith's press conference that, "we think about these things differently now than we did 10 years ago". As if people thought that sexual assault was just fine in 2010. They just can't help themselves, the need for the media to protect the organizations that they cover is gross. And it ignores the fact that the Blackhawks put out a statement like 4 months ago that the allegations had no merit and tried to have the lawsuits dismissed.

I'm not sure that anything has really changed. I wouldn't bet money that any NHL team, facing the same circumstances today that the Blackhawks faced in 2010, would do anything any differently until and unless they were forced to because it became public.

Oilers Goal Differential

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time?
Next Topic:Eichel traded to Vegas
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca