This day on May 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilcrazy99, Crazy Oiler with nice moves, Oiler_fan11, jordy

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves!Pages (13): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788218 is a reply to message #788216 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Definite rumblings out there. Allan Mitchell aka Lowetide just wrote a Woodcroft love article in the Athletic. There appears to be smoke out there.

Since this is a Speculation thread....Dave Manson is universally loved as a D coach and players are giving him tons of credit for their success. Ol'Charlie is going to shut it down soon. He went to Bakersfield to be closer to Josh. If Josh Manson were to get traded away from the Ducks, I don't think you'll see Dave back the following season. So goes the story, Dave Manson has zero interest in returning to the NHL or taking over a full-time HC job in the AHL.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788220 is a reply to message #788218 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 07:54

Definite rumblings out there. Allan Mitchell aka Lowetide just wrote a Woodcroft love article in the Athletic. There appears to be smoke out there.

Since this is a Speculation thread....Dave Manson is universally loved as a D coach and players are giving him tons of credit for their success. Ol'Charlie is going to shut it down soon. He went to Bakersfield to be closer to Josh. If Josh Manson were to get traded away from the Ducks, I don't think you'll see Dave back the following season. So goes the story, Dave Manson has zero interest in returning to the NHL or taking over a full-time HC job in the AHL.

Well that’s good I suppose.

When you win 1 game against inferior teams in two playoff series, your job should be on the line.

But like CrudeRemarks said, I’m not confident in their ability to find a replacement.

Clean house or bust

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788222 is a reply to message #788220 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 08:57

When you win 1 game against inferior teams in two playoff series, your job should be on the line.

But like CrudeRemarks said, I’m not confident in their ability to find a replacement.

Also have to be mindful that we don't take the bait on any attempt to blame everything on the next guy out the door :) Trying to get fans to do that has been the Oilers way forever.

The GM's son's reputation is on the line here with everyone complaining about the pro scouting. The coach was overruling the pro scouts and GM on player acquisition still sounds totally stupid to me. That would still not just be Tippett's fault. That means this org can even convincingly argue that a bad player is bad to people inside their own org.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2021 09:08]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788228 is a reply to message #788222 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 09:04

Also have to be mindful that we don't take the bait on any attempt to blame everything on the next guy out the door :) Trying to get fans to do that has been the Oilers way forever.

The GM's son's reputation is on the line here with everyone complaining about the pro scouting. The coach was overruling the pro scouts and GM on player acquisition still sounds totally stupid to me. That would still not just be Tippett's fault. That means this org can even convincingly argue that a bad player is bad to people inside their own org.

Turris wanted the second year because he liked what the organization was building.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788231 is a reply to message #788222 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Very Oilers to position blame so as to insulate whoever it is that they most want to insulate. Even if it means flip-flopping on someone you didn't blame the last time out. Fortunately, the media guys are willing to play ball every single time. Chiarelli was flawless in their eyes up until the point where the Oilers were considering firing him - at which point leaks started happening about how close he came to doing Hall for Ceci, and suddenly he was fair game. And then once he's let go it's a free-for-all - he set the franchise back years with his poor decisions and no one could possibly make us in to a winner without first burning through several more seasons.

These rumours definitely follow that pattern. I've wondered before with how Tippett's used a couple of players who Holland's brought in if there's a full alignment.

There are definitely a few things I don't like about Tippett - his love of veterans and useless grinders is annoying. I can't think there would have been many other coaches who would have Patrick Russell in the lineup 53 times in the last two seasons. I think he's slow to react in-game sometimes, and we haven't seen a lot of adjustments other than putting McDavid and Draisaitl back together. I don't think some of his decisions made a lot of sense in the playoffs - going with four defencemen for a huge portion of a multi-overtime game is exceptionally questionable and sets the team up for failure.

However, we have seen a very strong powerplay under Tippett and a pretty decent penalty kill most of the time. I think he's been fine as a regular season coach the last two years and an upgrade on McLellan. Can we do better? Unquestionably. Can the Oilers braintrust hire better? Eeennh...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788232 is a reply to message #788231 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 11:41

Very Oilers to position blame so as to insulate whoever it is that they most want to insulate. Even if it means flip-flopping on someone you didn't blame the last time out. Fortunately, the media guys are willing to play ball every single time. Chiarelli was flawless in their eyes up until the point where the Oilers were considering firing him - at which point leaks started happening about how close he came to doing Hall for Ceci, and suddenly he was fair game. And then once he's let go it's a free-for-all - he set the franchise back years with his poor decisions and no one could possibly make us in to a winner without first burning through several more seasons.

These rumours definitely follow that pattern. I've wondered before with how Tippett's used a couple of players who Holland's brought in if there's a full alignment.

There are definitely a few things I don't like about Tippett - his love of veterans and useless grinders is annoying. I can't think there would have been many other coaches who would have Patrick Russell in the lineup 53 times in the last two seasons. I think he's slow to react in-game sometimes, and we haven't seen a lot of adjustments other than putting McDavid and Draisaitl back together. I don't think some of his decisions made a lot of sense in the playoffs - going with four defencemen for a huge portion of a multi-overtime game is exceptionally questionable and sets the team up for failure.

However, we have seen a very strong powerplay under Tippett and a pretty decent penalty kill most of the time. I think he's been fine as a regular season coach the last two years and an upgrade on McLellan. Can we do better? Unquestionably. Can the Oilers braintrust hire better? Eeennh...

And how much of that PP and PK success go to Gulutzan and Playfair?

I want to like Tippett. He is connected to my home city. I know some of his family and for what it is worth he is a good guy. I just think he might not be the right guy to get to the next level. I am not sure if the game has passed him by or not, but at times it sure does appear that way.

Of our last 8 coaches, Nelson, Renney and Krueger were people persons. Hitchcock, Quinn, McLellan and Tippett were 'old school' hockey guys. Eakins? He was something completely different.

I think most of these coaches could have more success if they ran the teams at different points in the last 13 years. Hitchcock, McLellan and Tippett would have good fits earlier in the process developing systems when we continually iced 1st overall picks. Those teams were really talented AHL teams and they needed structure and systems. Renney, Krueger and Nelson are more modern day coaches (I am ignoring Krueger's stop in Buffalo) and likely appeal to young players who crave communication and reinforcement.

Quinn was done. May as well hired Don Cherry at the time.
Eakins? We would have been better off never knowing the guy.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2021 12:05]

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788234 is a reply to message #788232 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 12:03

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 11:41

And how much of that PP and PK success go to Gulutzan and Playfair?

I want to like Tippett. He is connected to my home city. I know some of his family and for what it is worth he is a good guy. I just think he might not be the right guy to get to the next level. I am not sure if the game has passed him by or not, but at times it sure does appear that way.

Of our last 8 coaches, Nelson, Renney and Krueger were people persons. Hitchcock, Quinn, McLellan and Tippett were 'old school' hockey guys. Eakins? He was something completely different.

I think most of these coaches could have more success if they ran the teams at different points in the last 13 years. Hitchcock, McLellan and Tippett would have good fits earlier in the process developing systems when we continually iced 1st overall picks. Those teams were really talented AHL teams and they needed structure and systems. Renney, Krueger and Nelson are more modern day coaches (I am ignoring Krueger's stop in Buffalo) and likely appeal to young players who crave communication and reinforcement.

Quinn was done. May as well hired Don Cherry at the time.
Eakins? We would have been better off never knowing the guy.

I'm definitely willing to give a fair bit of credit to Tippett on the special teams. He has certainly shown a stubborn streak if he doesn't want something to happen so I don't think we see that PP unless it's something he's at minimum signed off on.

If I'm ripping him for player deployment, tactics and timeout usage, I have to be fair to him and not try to find ways to give others credit for the things that have gone well under him.

I had some issues with Krueger's systems when he was here too - they always seemed just a little too complex, which sometimes ran the team in to trouble. Brilliant guy but I wonder if he didn't outsmart himself sometimes. I do think that he was pretty unlucky in Buffalo. It might have gone badly anyhow, but the fates sure took that team for a ride this year. COVID kicked the crap out of them, they had some untimely injuries to key guys and they just couldn't get any breaks at all. I don't know if anyone could have done much better under those circumstances - but if I'm bringing someone back, he's maybe not my first choice.

I liked Renney generally when he was here. He just had a really young and really bad team and instructions from the top to play the wheels off the young guys in order to convince fans that we had a bright future as we lost and lost and lost. I still hope that we one day get to learn if he ever submitted that requested essay to Tambo and Lowe.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788639 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Tue, 06 July 2021 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm is currently online Oscargasm

6 Cups

I know I’ll be fLamed for this post, but c’est le vie. Wasn’t sure where to put this, could have been a post in many different threads but this one probs fits best.

Just because a player is a FA or is traded, does not mean Holland has/had a viable option to bring said player(s) to Edmonton. Yes, Edmonton has Connor McDavid... Leon Draisaitl... Darnell Nurse... but for whatever reason the majority of NHL players seemingly would, given the choice, not play for the Edmonton Oilers. As fans it’s in our nature to see a player available or moved and think “HOW CAN THE (insert team name here) GM NOT HAVE BROUGHT HIM IN!!??”. “THEY PAID PEANUTS TO GET THAT PLAYER, OUR GM IS AN IDIOT FOR NOT GETTING HIM!” Blaaaah. Blaaaaaah. Blaaaah.

Yes, a good GM should at the very least inquire and explore options, but some(most) players simply would prefer to play elsewhere. It’s an unfortunate truth. Is it the winters? Is it the “tax issue”? Is it the fanbase being extremely critical of the non-lunch pail player while being over-analytic homers? Is it their wives calling the shots? I’m sure there are various reasons.

This all being said, when a player wants to join your program you bet your anus you hear that option is at the very least explored. Especially when you’re, for all intents and purposes, now in that window where you should be taking that step to contend. Even more especially when said player brings something that your young leadership core, and entire roster as built, lacks. Yes, this is in part a Duncan Keith endorsement post. Is his current cap hit a bit much, yes. Does he bring enough to help the Oilers, yes. Is there a deal that can make sense, yes.

Dougie Hamilton isn’t coming to Edmonton. Seth Jones is not coming to Edmonton. By all accounts, Duncan Keith wants to come to Edmonton. Let’s embrace this fact that a future Hall of Famer recognizes what Connor and Co have here and believes he can contribute to.

(Just, please, Holland... don’t include Samarukov in the deal)

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788641 is a reply to message #788639 ]
Tue, 06 July 2021 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 06 July 2021 09:33

I know I’ll be fLamed for this post, but c’est le vie. Wasn’t sure where to put this, could have been a post in many different threads but this one probs fits best.

Just because a player is a FA or is traded, does not mean Holland has/had a viable option to bring said player(s) to Edmonton. Yes, Edmonton has Connor McDavid... Leon Draisaitl... Darnell Nurse... but for whatever reason the majority of NHL players seemingly would, given the choice, not play for the Edmonton Oilers. As fans it’s in our nature to see a player available or moved and think “HOW CAN THE (insert team name here) GM NOT HAVE BROUGHT HIM IN!!??”. “THEY PAID PEANUTS TO GET THAT PLAYER, OUR GM IS AN IDIOT FOR NOT GETTING HIM!” Blaaaah. Blaaaaaah. Blaaaah.

Yes, a good GM should at the very least inquire and explore options, but some(most) players simply would prefer to play elsewhere. It’s an unfortunate truth. Is it the winters? Is it the “tax issue”? Is it the fanbase being extremely critical of the non-lunch pail player while being over-analytic homers? Is it their wives calling the shots? I’m sure there are various reasons.

This all being said, when a player wants to join your program you bet your anus you hear that option is at the very least explored. Especially when you’re, for all intents and purposes, now in that window where you should be taking that step to contend. Even more especially when said player brings something that your young leadership core, and entire roster as built, lacks. Yes, this is in part a Duncan Keith endorsement post. Is his current cap hit a bit much, yes. Does he bring enough to help the Oilers, yes. Is there a deal that can make sense, yes.

Dougie Hamilton isn’t coming to Edmonton. Seth Jones is not coming to Edmonton. By all accounts, Duncan Keith wants to come to Edmonton. Let’s embrace this fact that a future Hall of Famer recognizes what Connor and Co have here and believes he can contribute to.

Just don't give anything good for Keith is all :)

For all the reasons you state, the only way we will build a sustainable winner may be by finally fixing our drafting/developing. So, giving up on prospects for a 38 year old that just had the worst year of his career is insane.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788644 is a reply to message #788641 ]
Tue, 06 July 2021 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 06 July 2021 09:37

For all the reasons you state, the only way we will build a sustainable winner may be by finally fixing our drafting/developing. So, giving up on prospects for a 38 year old that just had the worst year of his career is insane.

I am all for Keith, but at no significant cost to the Oilers. This is a Black Hawks problem. One of many current problems, but it should be a gift for us.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788646 is a reply to message #788641 ]
Tue, 06 July 2021 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Prospects that your org has had time with and don’t view as breaking the barrier and making the jump to the NHL, I have time for Holland moving those players. Marody, Benson. Sure. Give’r beans. That said, the Oilers cupboards are pretty frickin’ bare aside from Holloway, Lavoie, Broberg and Sammy.

I’m obviously pro-Duncan Keith as an Oiler.

However... This summer is a V important one for Holland. They have cap space, ~16M right now. Keith for Jones and a prospect without any retention brings that to ~11M. ~11M to still bring in, 1LW, 3LW, 3C, 3LHD, 1G. Good luck. Sure, Neal can be bought out (though 2M over the next 4 years is a large price), Koski can be bought out (this is the one that makes sense to me, anyway) and bury Turris to get a bit more space. Klefbom, as much as I love the guy, should just hang them up. Retiring due to injury puts his sexy abs on LTIR for the duration of his contract.

I’ll also add, if Larsson comes in over 4M with any term, that’s poor cap management.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788647 is a reply to message #788646 ]
Tue, 06 July 2021 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 06 July 2021 12:51

Prospects that your org has had time with and don’t view as breaking the barrier and making the jump to the NHL, I have time for Holland moving those players. Marody, Benson. Sure. Give’r beans. That said, the Oilers cupboards are pretty frickin’ bare aside from Holloway, Lavoie, Broberg and Sammy.

I’m obviously pro-Duncan Keith as an Oiler.

However... This summer is a V important one for Holland. They have cap space, ~16M right now. Keith for Jones and a prospect without any retention brings that to ~11M. ~11M to still bring in, 1LW, 3LW, 3C, 3LHD, 1G. Good luck. Sure, Neal can be bought out (though 2M over the next 4 years is a large price), Koski can be bought out (this is the one that makes sense to me, anyway) and bury Turris to get a bit more space. Klefbom, as much as I love the guy, should just hang them up. Retiring due to injury puts his sexy abs on LTIR for the duration of his contract.

I’ll also add, if Larsson comes in over 4M with any term, that’s poor cap management.

K-Bomb can just stay on LTIR all season then miraculously recover just in time for the playoff run next year :)

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788643 is a reply to message #788639 ]
Tue, 06 July 2021 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

When you talk about intangible reasons a player wouldn't want to come to Edmonton I immediately think of the permanent and toxic management group at the top of the organization as reason number 1. Full autonomy or not, it has to weigh in on any UFA's decision making process that the same bunch of muppets who ran the org into the ground for a decade until they were gifted McD is still here, effing things up behind the scenes.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788645 is a reply to message #788639 ]
Tue, 06 July 2021 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 06 July 2021 08:33

Is his current cap hit a bit much, yes. Does he bring enough to help the Oilers, yes. Is there a deal that can make sense, yes.

And this is where the premise falls apart. The answer to question number two is a definitive no. His numbers are god awful. I fully understand why the Blackhawks are trying to get out of the deal.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788768 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Wed, 07 July 2021 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mohammad Jaber @Moe_Jaber

Dreger now on TSN 1050 saying that with the #Oilers having significant interest in Zach Hyman, he could see a scenario where Holland can acquire his negotiating rights to get a head start on other teams.

https://media.tenor.com/images/70e5b11563a691cf6b0bb9aa829d7e1f/tenor.gif

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788769 is a reply to message #788768 ]
Wed, 07 July 2021 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 07 July 2021 20:34

Dreger now on TSN 1050 saying that with the #Oilers having significant interest in Zach Hyman, he could see a scenario where Holland can acquire his negotiating rights to get a head start on other teams.

Incoming 2021 6th for Hyman with a conditional 2022 2nd if he signs.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788774 is a reply to message #788769 ]
Wed, 07 July 2021 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 07 July 2021 20:45

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 07 July 2021 20:34

Incoming 2021 6th for Hyman with a conditional 2022 2nd if he signs.

2nd round picks are overrated….just like Hyman.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788789 is a reply to message #788774 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I'd have interest in Hyman as I think they need a little size, jam and someone who goes to the net consistently in the top 6 but I am not a fan of overpaying to get him.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788791 is a reply to message #788789 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 08:06

I'd have interest in Hyman as I think they need a little size, jam and someone who goes to the net consistently in the top 6 but I am not a fan of overpaying to get him.

And I do not mind overpaying him, but I would not want to give him term. I bet he get's both. I pass at 29. This deal will take him to his mid 30's, although he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on his body with less than 400 NHL games at this point in his career, I wouldn't want to gamble on a contract after 3 years.

All being said, I will likely buy a Hyman jersey after game 25. I am part of the problem.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788793 is a reply to message #788791 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 08:39

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 08:06

And I do not mind overpaying him, but I would not want to give him term. I bet he get's both. I pass at 29. This deal will take him to his mid 30's, although he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on his body with less than 400 NHL games at this point in his career, I wouldn't want to gamble on a contract after 3 years.

All being said, I will likely buy a Hyman jersey after game 25. I am part of the problem.

5 mill on a 4 year deal is the absolute tippy top I would go. That doubles what he made last year. If that isn't enough, let someone else give him more. I don't think the Leafs can even give him that unless they unload a lot of guys. They only have a little over 10 mill in cap space with only 16 guys signed.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788794 is a reply to message #788791 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

The Oilers need to avoid getting tunnel vision on a guy. Hyman is fine, but he's no world beater in this league and I'd be really careful not to overpay for what he brings.

Hyman has never eclipsed 41 points in his career as a 29 year old. Some of that is due to shortened seasons in combination with injury. However, you can find that kind of production elsewhere, and probably for cheaper than what the Oilers plan on offering...

Clean house or bust

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788795 is a reply to message #788794 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 08:51

The Oilers need to avoid getting tunnel vision on a guy. Hyman is fine, but he's no world beater in this league and I'd be really careful not to overpay for what he brings.

Hyman has never eclipsed 41 points in his career as a 29 year old. Some of that is due to shortened seasons in combination with injury. However, you can find that kind of production elsewhere, and probably for cheaper than what the Oilers plan on offering...

Getting more guys that need a perfect situation with 2 teammates better than them on a line up be able to produce at a top 6 rate... We really do need to do better with our cap space this year. Hyman no doubt it's looking to cash in. It's probably his last chance to do it.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788797 is a reply to message #788794 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I am not saying the Oilers need to zero in on Hyman and no one else but production is not the only thing they need from a top 6 winger. They need production but also a guy that goes to the net, has a little size and physicality in his game, someone who isn't afraid to mix it up and clean up the garbage. When I look at the Oilers top 6 guys I don't see anyone that goes to the net to bull in a rebound. JP maybe but no one else.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788798 is a reply to message #788797 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 09:00

I am not saying the Oilers need to zero in on Hyman and no one else but production is not the only thing they need from a top 6 winger. They need production but also a guy that goes to the net, has a little size and physicality in his game, someone who isn't afraid to mix it up and clean up the garbage. When I look at the Oilers top 6 guys I don't see anyone that goes to the net to bull in a rebound. JP maybe but no one else.

I still think Jake Debrusk could be good here, but I’m not trading Bear for him.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788799 is a reply to message #788798 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 09:12

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 09:00

I still think Jake Debrusk could be good here, but I’m not trading Bear for him.

Give them Jones. I like the idea of turning guys who aren't much of anything into real players. If there are some Oilers bloggers and fans who think somehow Jones will be this amazing dman, maybe their are Bruins people who think the same. He looks like a legit NHLer what, 1 out of 8 games. So that has to mean he's a top 4 guy.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788800 is a reply to message #788799 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

Word is Tarasenko wants out of St Louis. Worth a look? Had a couple of rough seasons recently, but when healthy he's a 30 goal scorer.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788801 is a reply to message #788800 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 10:03

Word is Tarasenko wants out of St Louis. Worth a look? Had a couple of rough seasons recently, but when healthy he's a 30 goal scorer.

Funky summer with Eichel and Tarasenko on the block. 2 guys complaining their teams are botching their handling of bad injuries. Will be interesting to see what teams gamble on them, and the cost.

Gotta think Tarasenko having bad shoulder injuries would turn off our org to trying to get him :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788804 is a reply to message #788801 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 10:10

Funky summer with Eichel and Tarasenko on the block. 2 guys complaining their teams are botching their handling of bad injuries. Will be interesting to see what teams gamble on them, and the cost.

Gotta think Tarasenko having bad shoulder injuries would turn off our org to trying to get him :)

Tarasenko for Eichel straight up. Who says no?

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788812 is a reply to message #788804 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 11:00

Tarasenko’s NTC likely says no.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788813 is a reply to message #788812 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 12:49

Somehow both will end up with Vegas 🤷🏻‍♂️

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788815 is a reply to message #788812 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 15:49

Least attractive destination for a hockey player in recent history: 2014 Edmonton Oilers, or 2021 Buffalo Sabres?

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788817 is a reply to message #788815 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 12:53

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 15:49

Least attractive destination for a hockey player in recent history: 2014 Edmonton Oilers, or 2021 Buffalo Sabres?

Yes.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788805 is a reply to message #788801 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 09:10

Eichel's interest in getting neck vertebrae replacement with mechanical disks is so bizarre, unless its a manufactured trade ploy, I'd stay clear of him, just the recovery alone from a surgery like that is a year minimum, if ever. Totally weird.
Maybe he gets traded and his neck "heals itself"?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788806 is a reply to message #788805 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 11:38

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 09:10

Eichel's interest in getting neck vertebrae replacement with mechanical disks is so bizarre, unless its a manufactured trade ploy, I'd stay clear of him, just the recovery alone from a surgery like that is a year minimum, if ever. Totally weird.
Maybe he gets traded and his neck "heals itself"?

Yeah, gotta think he sticks with a rehab route now if he really wants out. Would a team trade assets for a guy that wants a super risky surgery that probably takes a year to even begin to know if he'll be able to come back?

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788840 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec
Not expecting any Edmonton Oiler buy outs when the window opens tonight. Doesn’t make much sense prior to Expansion Draft - or at least making an effort with Seattle.
Do think that James Neal will be bought out (or moved) this month however.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788841 is a reply to message #788840 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 21:42

Not expecting any Edmonton Oiler buy outs when the window opens tonight. Doesn’t make much sense prior to Expansion Draft - or at least making an effort with Seattle.

Larss resigns. Barrie resigns. Koekkoek resigns. (OMG NO YOU CANT)

Jones and Koskinen for Keith.

Drieger, Hyman, Goodrow and Haula signed in FA.

Arizona is losing OEL. Holland sends Bear and Neal to Arizona for Kessel.

Hyman-McD-Jess
Nuge-Leon-Kessel
Goodrow-Haula-Yam
Arch-McLeod-Kass

Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Larss
Koekkoek-Bouch

Smith
Drieger

Yes, I’m a few beers deep. But. Window is open.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788842 is a reply to message #788841 ]
Thu, 08 July 2021 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 22:43

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 08 July 2021 21:42

Larss resigns. Barrie resigns. Koekkoek resigns. (OMG NO YOU CANT)

Jones and Koskinen for Keith.

Drieger, Hyman, Goodrow and Haula signed in FA.

Arizona is losing OEL. Holland sends Bear and Neal to Arizona for Kessel.

Hyman-McD-Jess
Nuge-Leon-Kessel
Goodrow-Haula-Yam
Arch-McLeod-Kass

Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Larss
Koekkoek-Bouch

Smith
Drieger

Yes, I’m a few beers deep. But. Window is open.

I like you cracked the code on winning it all sir. Engage immanentization of the eschatron

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E50xbvsWEAgVHDt?format=jpg&name=small

[Updated on: Thu, 08 July 2021 23:20]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788871 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Fri, 09 July 2021 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Saw that Matty was selling Jarry as a possible goalie for us to get, because of his connection with Schwartz.

https://i.gifer.com/Frnv.gif

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788872 is a reply to message #788871 ]
Fri, 09 July 2021 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 09 July 2021 22:11

Saw that Matty was selling Jarry as a possible goalie for us to get, because of his connection with Schwartz.

https://i.gifer.com/Frnv.gif

Burke wants truculence... reading between the lines he wants Kass.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788874 is a reply to message #788872 ]
Sat, 10 July 2021 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

I think oilers theme will be more grit or functional toughness. I think they keep kass, sign nurse to extension, grab Hyman on deal like Nuge but for less term, buyout or hold back on Neal and trade with and asset o another team for buyout, re-up chaison one year half price, get oleksiak to replace klef, get tartar ln show me and swing and miss on goalies meaning koski/smith tandem in net.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #788876 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Sat, 10 July 2021 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Lebanc is on the the radar to be moved out of San Jose. 4.75M, RH shot skilled winger who is 25 years old with term. Considered the hardest working player in San Jose with an accurate shot. 20 goal plus potential with a + career .50 ppg average.

Maybe San Jose see Koskinen as a way to secure Wright at #1 next year?

Pages (13): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Future NHL Cap Projections
Next Topic:Oilers and Tyson Barrie Closing in on Deal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca