This day on May 18
None

Happy Birthday To: Johnny Upton, Oil and Spuds, pdechant, mrdrolet

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT)Pages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785437 is a reply to message #785434 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 13:21

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 11:23

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 16 May 2021 20:36

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 16 May 2021 19:35

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 16 May 2021 19:26

Where did this Kucherov guy come from? I didn’t pay SUPER CLOSE attention to the US divs this season, but haven’t seen/heard of him. He looks like the Bolts best player. Is he a rookie? If so, man it really puts a spotlight on McLeod to produce.

Can see why he was only just recovered from his injury with a 2G 1A night and highest ice time for forwards on his team. Clearly a guy just getting back to NHL game shape.

Yeah, TB played the NHL like the fools they are.

While I think it is clear the TBL played this to get out of cap problems I don't understand the cries of cheating and wanting the league to do something about it.
This has been done before. Maybe not to this extreme or caliber of player but it is done all the time. It is a known cap tool that can and is used.
I can agree that it sucks and is likely something needing addressed but it isn't like the Lightning made up a rule or broke one that exists.
Is this any different than when AZ had a number of players who would never play again on their cap?
If Klefbom was ready to roll last month, when the Oilers wouldn't have had room for him, would people not want him to play in the playoffs?

Enforcing the cap in the playoffs or making players require in season GP to qualify for the playoffs would be a solution to the loophole but it doesn't change that what the Lightning did this year is completely within the rules as they sit right now.

The NHL has plenty of issues. The DOPS and inconsistent secondary discipline is the worst in my eyes. Pretending that everything is a conspiracy against the Oilers, or other teams, to help the "head office favorites" succeed is BS and just comes across as excuses for a franchise that has sucked forever.

Just because our favorite team refuses to be creative within the current rules doesnt mean others are cheaters or the league is rigging it for some teams to win.

If the NHL head office hated the Oilers so much we wouldn't have the pleasure of watching McDavid in an Oiler jersey.

Yeah, they never played again.

The reason the Oil wouldn't attempt that is they couldn't take the chance how the NHL would rule on a clear fraudulent circumvention of the original intent of the LTIR cap deduction allowance. When it comes to NHL Inc. rulings, the Oilers always get the worst possible. interpretation. Based on past experience, you'd never take that risk, like possibly losing a 2nd round draft pick, or have your cap space reduced for next year.. possibilities on how to get screwed are endless

No team had so flagrantly abused the intent of LTIR cap deduction before TB, no one had claimed $10M of LTIR cap space deduction for an entire regular season and then had the player on the starting roster game 1 of the playoffs, the NHL could have made an ad hoc ruling, and told Tampa Kutcherov was unavailable for the playoffs, or that if they wanted to play him, they had to unload $10M n cap space at the trade deadline.. instead they ADDED cap at the deadline.
Its not like NHL rules are "set in stone", they make up crap all the time, they'll use terms like "circumvents the original intent" .. and just make a call the team has to live with, kind of like DoPS rulings, compensation for hiring other team's fired GMs and coaches, trade clauses..

The NHL could have ruled on this specific case, they've done it before, and chose not to, that's the frustrating part. You now have a $99M cap team that will likely be in the cup final, two years in a row.

If they don't make a change, then I think Neal should go on LTIR for a "high ankle sprain" until the 2022 playoffs next year.. and Miko gets a "torn groin" that keeps out the same amount of time, that's about $8.5M in cap space.. ka-ching!...easy-peasy :)

That's not exactly correct. The reason the Golden Knights had to play with 15 players last week is that they couldn't activate extra players without going over the cap. If you go over the cap, you're not allowed to play.

So you could make the same argument with Kucherov - we would love to have him in the line-up, he's our best player! But if we activate him, we're over the cap and we forfeit, so we are forced by the system to keep him sidelined. It's not our fault that he was healthy faster than we believed *wink, wink*.

The Oilers absolutely could play this game and there's enough precedence with everyone else who's done it that we could have managed it without difficulty - instead, we saved space under the cap "in case Slater Koekkoek gets healthy in time to play again"...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785461 is a reply to message #785437 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 13:29

Where did this Kucherov guy come from? I didn’t pay SUPER CLOSE attention to the US divs this season, but haven’t seen/heard of him. He looks like the Bolts best player. Is he a rookie? If so, man it really puts a spotlight on McLeod to produce.

Can see why he was only just recovered from his injury with a 2G 1A night and highest ice time for forwards on his team. Clearly a guy just getting back to NHL game shape.

While I think it is clear the TBL played this to get out of cap problems I don't understand the cries of cheating and wanting the league to do something about it.
This has been done before. Maybe not to this extreme or caliber of player but it is done all the time. It is a known cap tool that can and is used.
I can agree that it sucks and is likely something needing addressed but it isn't like the Lightning made up a rule or broke one that exists.
Is this any different than when AZ had a number of players who would never play again on their cap?
If Klefbom was ready to roll last month, when the Oilers wouldn't have had room for him, would people not want him to play in the playoffs?

Enforcing the cap in the playoffs or making players require in season GP to qualify for the playoffs would be a solution to the loophole but it doesn't change that what the Lightning did this year is completely within the rules as they sit right now.

The NHL has plenty of issues. The DOPS and inconsistent secondary discipline is the worst in my eyes. Pretending that everything is a conspiracy against the Oilers, or other teams, to help the "head office favorites" succeed is BS and just comes across as excuses for a franchise that has sucked forever.

Just because our favorite team refuses to be creative within the current rules doesnt mean others are cheaters or the league is rigging it for some teams to win.

If the NHL head office hated the Oilers so much we wouldn't have the pleasure of watching McDavid in an Oiler jersey.

The reason the Oil wouldn't attempt that is they couldn't take the chance how the NHL would rule on a clear fraudulent circumvention of the original intent of the LTIR cap deduction allowance. When it comes to NHL Inc. rulings, the Oilers always get the worst possible. interpretation. Based on past experience, you'd never take that risk, like possibly losing a 2nd round draft pick, or have your cap space reduced for next year.. possibilities on how to get screwed are endless

No team had so flagrantly abused the intent of LTIR cap deduction before TB, no one had claimed $10M of LTIR cap space deduction for an entire regular season and then had the player on the starting roster game 1 of the playoffs, the NHL could have made an ad hoc ruling, and told Tampa Kutcherov was unavailable for the playoffs, or that if they wanted to play him, they had to unload $10M n cap space at the trade deadline.. instead they ADDED cap at the deadline.
Its not like NHL rules are "set in stone", they make up crap all the time, they'll use terms like "circumvents the original intent" .. and just make a call the team has to live with, kind of like DoPS rulings, compensation for hiring other team's fired GMs and coaches, trade clauses..

The NHL could have ruled on this specific case, they've done it before, and chose not to, that's the frustrating part. You now have a $99M cap team that will likely be in the cup final, two years in a row.

If they don't make a change, then I think Neal should go on LTIR for a "high ankle sprain" until the 2022 playoffs next year.. and Miko gets a "torn groin" that keeps out the same amount of time, that's about $8.5M in cap space.. ka-ching!...easy-peasy :)

That's not exactly correct. The reason the Golden Knights had to play with 15 players last week is that they couldn't activate extra players without going over the cap. If you go over the cap, you're not allowed to play.

So you could make the same argument with Kucherov - we would love to have him in the line-up, he's our best player! But if we activate him, we're over the cap and we forfeit, so we are forced by the system to keep him sidelined. It's not our fault that he was healthy faster than we believed *wink, wink*.

The Oilers absolutely could play this game and there's enough precedence with everyone else who's done it that we could have managed it without difficulty - instead, we saved space under the cap "in case Slater Koekkoek gets healthy in time to play again"...

I forgot about Kane, whom you mentioned in another post. The Knights are another one. There are multiple examples every year of cap saving tricks. The Oilers dont think up new ones but arent even smart enough to be copycats.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785463 is a reply to message #785437 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 12:29

I think the rest of the teams assumed the original intent of using LTIR as a cap deduction would somehow be enforced by the NHL, and in the end was not. Especially such an obvious attempt at cap circumvention. TB should have lost at least 2 or 3 roster players due to cap over-run this year, they had nothing to lose, so they pulled the scam, and threw the ball into the NHL's court to do something, NHL fumbled the ball, and here we are.
After this I'm sure all the teams will follow suit, like Neal and Miko have season ending injuries starting next October, 2021.. ending May, 2022 .. add $8.5M to the payroll.. or .. don't even bother bringing the player back.. use LTIR to just bury the contracts forever.. no reason to pay teams with draft picks or retain salary to get rid of a bad contract, if you can just bury a guy on LTIR for the contract duration.. like Hossa and his incurable skin rash.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785464 is a reply to message #785463 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 16:19

I think the rest of the teams assumed the original intent of using LTIR as a cap deduction would somehow be enforced by the NHL, and in the end was not. Especially such an obvious attempt at cap circumvention. TB should have lost at least 2 or 3 roster players due to cap over-run this year, they had nothing to lose, so they pulled the scam, and threw the ball into the NHL's court to do something, NHL fumbled the ball, and here we are.
After this I'm sure all the teams will follow suit, like Neal and Miko have season ending injuries starting next October, 2021.. ending May, 2022 .. add $8.5M to the payroll.. or .. don't even bother bringing the player back.. use LTIR to just bury the contracts forever.. no reason to pay teams with draft picks or retain salary to get rid of a bad contract, if you can just bury a guy on LTIR for the contract duration.. like Hossa and his incurable skin rash.

I think you're not reading what everyone is posting here. It's been done before this. This isn't a new trick. Tampa isn't the first to do it. Chicago was the first to bury a star for a portion of the season, replace his salary under the cap and then magically have him ready to play for the post-season.

The Oilers did use LTIR to bury a player forever - one Andrew Ference. He could have played his final year, but did not because the Oilers made it clear he wasn't in the plans. The Leafs did the same with Joffrey Lupul and a couple others. The 'Hawks went so far with Hossa as to come up with a skin condition that magically made him allergic to playing at the exact same time that his contract dropped to $1MM per year, freeing Chicago from his cap hit in a way retirement would not have. This year Keith Seabrook kinda sorta retired from hockey. He ain't coming back, but he's not going to actually retire either...his contract has another 3 years at 6.875MM on it, and somehow the Blackhawks will never have to worry about replacing those dollars.

There's a bunch of rules for the cap, and if you have clever people on your team, you can find ways to manipulate those rules to give you the best chance to win. If you have slightly less clever people, you can copy the clever people finding all the loopholes. And if you're the Edmonton Oilers, you can do neither and hope that you just get lucky enough to win one day, while quietly shaking your fist at those people who are finding all the loopholes, safe in the belief that you're playing fair.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785469 is a reply to message #785464 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 15:30

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 16:19

I think you're not reading what everyone is posting here. It's been done before this. This isn't a new trick. Tampa isn't the first to do it. Chicago was the first to bury a star for a portion of the season, replace his salary under the cap and then magically have him ready to play for the post-season.

The Oilers did use LTIR to bury a player forever - one Andrew Ference. He could have played his final year, but did not because the Oilers made it clear he wasn't in the plans. The Leafs did the same with Joffrey Lupul and a couple others. The 'Hawks went so far with Hossa as to come up with a skin condition that magically made him allergic to playing at the exact same time that his contract dropped to $1MM per year, freeing Chicago from his cap hit in a way retirement would not have. This year Keith Seabrook kinda sorta retired from hockey. He ain't coming back, but he's not going to actually retire either...his contract has another 3 years at 6.875MM on it, and somehow the Blackhawks will never have to worry about replacing those dollars.

There's a bunch of rules for the cap, and if you have clever people on your team, you can find ways to manipulate those rules to give you the best chance to win. If you have slightly less clever people, you can copy the clever people finding all the loopholes. And if you're the Edmonton Oilers, you can do neither and hope that you just get lucky enough to win one day, while quietly shaking your fist at those people who are finding all the loopholes, safe in the belief that you're playing fair.

My beef is with what TB was allowed to do. I know anchor contracts have been buried before, the main difference with TB I see is those other teams never saw the player again. I think you mentioned Kane, but he didn't provide season long cap relief, allowing the signings of RFAs and UFAs. Trading for cap space is a fair process in that your franchise pays for bad management by giving up an asset or retaining cap, TB didn't give up a single asset. Like I said before the NHL already has a rule regarding trades, signings, after the trade deadline, you can make them, but they are ineligible for the playoffs. The NHL could have said season long LTIR players fall into the same category, as a LTIR rule "clarification".. the NHL can be creative at times, when it suits them.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785460 is a reply to message #785434 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

To the AZ comment. I meant they traded for players who everyone knew were never playing again. They saved real cash and hit the cap floor in a way that was not "real". The teams that traded away said players saved cap space.

To your point about the Oilers not doing it for some theory they are worried about being screwed. I suppose we will never know as they dont try anything.

You are incorrect when you keep saying that the league could have ruled that Kucherov is ineligible for the playoffs.
Well, I suppose in theory they could have but to me, that would have been the biggest ad-hoc ruling they had ever made. Considering they did NOTHING outside of the rules there is nothing to punish them for.
Change the rule, close the loop hole? Give 'er, I am all for it, but there was zero chance it was going to happen.
Do you not think there was communication between the league at lightning about this issue at some point in the past?

Lastly, Adam has posted a couple examples but there is all kinds of roster manipulation that goes on to save cap space. It happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

I luv ya Skook, you are one of the few "old time hockey" guys left and I think it's great. To see every issue as an example of Oilers bias seems a wacky to me. At times, the Oilers are just as old school and as such, it has hindered their success.

Work within the rules but work them to the limit. Force the league to change. Pointing fingers at other teams who use the system fully does not excuse the fact the Oilers refuse to adapt.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785279 is a reply to message #785268 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Kucherov being allowed to just come back like he did is such garbage. I guess one can argue that most teams couldn't handle one of their best players being out and make the playoffs but there should be a rule that says you have to be in the line up at least a certain percentage of the season. I heard on the broadcast, he's been skating for over a month and practicing for weeks.

Or they make it so a team can only be a certain percentage over the cap in playoffs. If you have to be cap compliant all year long, you should in the playoffs or at least close. They are over 17. mill over which is 21% over but with LTIR they make it. That's ridiculous.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785281 is a reply to message #785279 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Same Bennett to have a hearing with player safety.

https://www.tsn.ca/florida-panthers-bennett-to-have-hearing- for-boarding-tampa-bay-lightning-winger-blake-coleman-1.1641 170

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785289 is a reply to message #785281 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 08:43

https://www.tsn.ca/florida-panthers-bennett-to-have-hearing- for-boarding-tampa-bay-lightning-winger-blake-coleman-1.1641 170

At first I though “cmon!” Then I watched it again... definitely not a clean play and very different than the boarding non-call that Tampa got away with in that one. I forget which Tampa player it was, McDonagh I think, took a panthers player into the boards head first on the numbers, buuuut there wasn’t the wind up that Bennett had. Still shoulda been called.

I’d expect a 1 gamer for Bennett. But this is NHLDoPS so he’s probably out Min 2 because Tampa.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785290 is a reply to message #785289 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 09:39

At first I though “cmon!” Then I watched it again... definitely not a clean play and very different than the boarding non-call that Tampa got away with in that one. I forget which Tampa player it was, McDonagh I think, took a panthers player into the boards head first on the numbers, buuuut there wasn’t the wind up that Bennett had. Still shoulda been called.

I’d expect a 1 gamer for Bennett. But this is NHLDoPS so he’s probably out Min 2 because Tampa.

Wild 1st game for Bennett. Robbed of a goal. 2 assists. Over the top hit from behind that really hurt his team and maybe a suspension now. Looks like Quenneville is really using him too. 2nd highest forward ice time. powerplay and SH time.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 May 2021 09:43]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785294 is a reply to message #785289 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 08:39

Because Tampa..

Saw that hit by Bennet, it was a penalty, maybe a 1 game in the regular season, but like you said Tampa runs the NHL's show.

Where is the hearing on the kneeing on Accieri, sent the guy pin-wheeling in the air, almost blew his knee out... no call.. as a minimum it was interference.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785295 is a reply to message #785294 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 09:47

Because Tampa..

Saw that hit by Bennet, it was a penalty, maybe a 1 game in the regular season, but like you said Tampa runs the NHL's show.

Where is the hearing on the kneeing on Accieri, sent the guy pin-wheeling in the air, almost blew his knee out... no call.. as a minimum it was interference.

That one too!! I forgot about that, Yeesh. And for some of the calls they were making on Florida, it just helps the argument of bias officiating. You can’t tell me with 4 pairs of eyes out there that these things actually get missed. Ditto goes for the hundreds of infractions ‘missed’ that McDavid or McKinnon have to deal with on a nightly basis.

Then again, what would they tell Corey?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785297 is a reply to message #785295 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 08:56

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 09:47

Because Tampa..

That one too!! I forgot about that, Yeesh. And for some of the calls they were making on Florida, it just helps the argument of bias officiating. You can’t tell me with 4 pairs of eyes out there that these things actually get missed. Ditto goes for the hundreds of infractions ‘missed’ that McDavid or McKinnon have to deal with on a nightly basis.

Then again, what would they tell Corey?

What you saw there on full 1080P display was NHL ref "game management" ... or 4K if you have it !

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785308 is a reply to message #785281 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 11:43

For next year, Sam Bennett as 3C or 1/2LW UFA target? Loving his game in Florida. Guessing with the success he's had the last month or so he'll be wanting to bet on himself on a shorter deal. Double whammy for him - do like Barrie and pump his numbers up, AND stick it to the Flames.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785316 is a reply to message #785308 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 10:30

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 11:43

For next year, Sam Bennett as 3C or 1/2LW UFA target? Loving his game in Florida. Guessing with the success he's had the last month or so he'll be wanting to bet on himself on a shorter deal. Double whammy for him - do like Barrie and pump his numbers up, AND stick it to the Flames.

He's listed as RFA, Panthers have his rights.. would need to trade, I think Panthers keep him.. But Yeah I'd pick him up, plays PK, and brings some skill an intensity, plus it'd be fun watching him running Turtle!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785287 is a reply to message #785279 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 07:19

Kucherov being allowed to just come back like he did is such garbage. I guess one can argue that most teams couldn't handle one of their best players being out and make the playoffs but there should be a rule that says you have to be in the line up at least a certain percentage of the season. I heard on the broadcast, he's been skating for over a month and practicing for weeks.

Or they make it so a team can only be a certain percentage over the cap in playoffs. If you have to be cap compliant all year long, you should in the playoffs or at least close. They are over 17. mill over which is 21% over but with LTIR they make it. That's ridiculous.

You currently have have a $100M cap team v. a $79M cap compliant team, and the associated increase in talent that goes with it.
That extra $20M allowed TB to sign players they would have lost to free market at the beginning of the season, they were in a cap space nightmare. Instead of letting talent go to other teams, they made a long term "bet" on the recovery of Kutcherov, and that he'd be out all season. And when I say "bet", I mean rigged bet.
If there was any chance he recovered before, they were at a huge cap risk. To manage the risk they'd have to keep that $9.5M cap space free all year in order to activate him. But there was no "risk".

This was a long term plan from the beginning. Kutcherovs recovery time, and roster activation date, was preordained. Rigged. Outcome.

Answer: You need to change LTIR eligibility for the playoffs.
As a minimum, to play in the playoffs you should have to have played at least one game in the regular season, which means if you had a guy on LTIR all season, you lose the LTIR cap reduction as soon as he's activated, resulting in having to be cap compliant before the start of the playoffs.

REGARDLESS.. it turns out the NHL already has set the precedent on this topic.. they already have a rule.. any players signed or traded for, or after the tradeline, are ineligible for the playoffs.. SO WHY do they ALLOW a guy that was not on your team's roster ALL year to play? The two situations are Equivalent.

Watching this crap, it's almost like the NHL makes rules to suit particular franchises.. when ever needed.. TB was in cap hell last year, everyone knew it, they had mismanaged their cap into a corner, FUBAR, they were set to lose major talent due to UFA and RFA signings.. if you followed the NHL rules.. then.. almost like magic.. Gary hands them a get out jail free card.. wink-wink.

Florida all the way man.. pulling for the cap compliant underdogs.
F TB, F the NHL, F Bettman

[Updated on: Mon, 17 May 2021 09:50]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785282 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

See Pens fans very unhappy about Jarry's glove side this season :)

Hopefully he can fix that in next off-season with Schwartz.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785286 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

I can see the Isles beating the Pens again....which is quite sad seeing how Pittsburgh is the best team to challenge Tampa in the "Conference Final" if we can even call it that this year.....

The other solution would be the Caps and Tom Wilson injuring the TB star players for good while getting a slap on the wrist from the NHL....

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785291 is a reply to message #785286 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 09:35

I can see the Isles beating the Pens again....which is quite sad seeing how Pittsburgh is the best team to challenge Tampa in the "Conference Final" if we can even call it that this year.....

The other solution would be the Caps and Tom Wilson injuring the TB star players for good while getting a slap on the wrist from the NHL....

No guarantee who Tampa faces in the conference final if they get out of their division. It all gets re-seeded for Round 3, which makes the bracket really hard to figure out.

I do think the road out of that division isn't an easy one for Tampa, even with the "surprise" additions of all their injured players. Panthers aren't going to be a walk in the park, and Carolina's been a really good team this year.

I did a bracket before my hockey pool this weekend, picking the Bruins to come out of that division - then switched when the Bruins got a little too picked-over too fast and took a bunch of Capitals instead. I can really see any of the 4 teams there coming out.

It's harder this year because we barely saw any of the other teams play, but I think there's only a few teams that would truly surprise me to see win their division - Predators, Habs, Jets...I don't like the Wild or Blues chances, but hard to completely write them off too.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785293 is a reply to message #785291 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 09:42

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 09:35

No guarantee who Tampa faces in the conference final if they get out of their division. It all gets re-seeded for Round 3, which makes the bracket really hard to figure out.

I do think the road out of that division isn't an easy one for Tampa, even with the "surprise" additions of all their injured players. Panthers aren't going to be a walk in the park, and Carolina's been a really good team this year.

I did a bracket before my hockey pool this weekend, picking the Bruins to come out of that division - then switched when the Bruins got a little too picked-over too fast and took a bunch of Capitals instead. I can really see any of the 4 teams there coming out.

It's harder this year because we barely saw any of the other teams play, but I think there's only a few teams that would truly surprise me to see win their division - Predators, Habs, Jets...I don't like the Wild or Blues chances, but hard to completely write them off too.

By all accounts the wild play an exciting game and Dadbot seems in fine form. I don’t expect them to keep vegas quiet all series, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see that one go to a game 7 where Minny and Dadbot could shock the world.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785311 is a reply to message #785293 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This playoff schedule is bizarre.

Jets/Oilers play this Wednesday. Oilers will have not played a game in 4 days, Jets 5.
Habs/Leafs. Habs wouldn't have played in 8 days, Leafs 6 days.

I don't get the long weight. I guess it's nice for healing guys up but in a normal season, they wouldn't be getting that much time off I don't think.

I would have had the Habs/Leafs play tonight. That would have still gave them a long break. Then Wed, the Sat. Oilers/Jets start Tues, Thurs, the Sat. That gets them going and you have a double header on Saturday.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785313 is a reply to message #785311 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 11:41

Jets/Oilers play this Wednesday. Oilers will have not played a game in 4 days, Jets 5.

I don't get the long weight. I guess it's nice for healing guys up but in a normal season, they wouldn't be getting that much time off I don't think.

I would have had the Habs/Leafs play tonight. That would have still gave them a long break. Then Wed, the Sat. Oilers/Jets start Tues, Thurs, the Sat. That gets them going and you have a double header on Saturday.

NHL decided that the division can't start playing until all games in that division are complete. So the Oilers, Jets, Leafs and Habs have to wait to see who wins the series between the Flames and the Canucks before they can proceed.

Only the Ottawa Senators able to just relax and enjoy their summer.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785317 is a reply to message #785313 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 11:44

NHL decided that the division can't start playing until all games in that division are complete. So the Oilers, Jets, Leafs and Habs have to wait to see who wins the series between the Flames and the Canucks before they can proceed.

Dumb. I get why they are playing them, it's for sponsorship money. But not many are watching a 2pm or 1:30 pm Flames/Canucks game on a Tues/Wed live. Assuming most people are working, any fan who remotely cares about those games are recording it so play the playoff games so you don't get too far behind the other series. But it's the NHL, they don't do anything logical.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785325 is a reply to message #785317 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 11:51

Dumb. I get why they are playing them, it's for sponsorship money. But not many are watching a 2pm or 1:30 pm Flames/Canucks game on a Tues/Wed live. Assuming most people are working, any fan who remotely cares about those games are recording it so play the playoff games so you don't get too far behind the other series. But it's the NHL, they don't do anything logical.

To be fair to them, they may have set these rules at the outset of the season on how they'd handle COVID delays. It's a little frustrating for us, but at least we get to watch the awkwardness of a Flames/Canucks playoff for nothing.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785353 is a reply to message #785325 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 12:15

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 11:51

To be fair to them, they may have set these rules at the outset of the season on how they'd handle COVID delays. It's a little frustrating for us, but at least we get to watch the awkwardness of a Flames/Canucks playoff for nothing.

I am sure they did set the rules prior to the season. These games are also technically make up games thanks to the Canucks Covid outbreak. I am not losing sleep over it but you'd think the league would be a little more fluid with the rules and adjust as they go. The whole country except maybe Calgary and Vancouver is sitting around waiting twiddling their thumbs for the playoffs to start in the North Division while the NHL forces 2 teams who I am sure would prefer just to be done to play what are basically preseason games when it comes to importance and intensity. If I am a Flames players, I am not sticking my foot out to block a shot when there is 3 days left in my year so I can maybe be in a boot for the next 6-8 weeks all because Sutter is screaming at me to get in shooting lanes.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785319 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Wonder if the AHL has a DoPS?

From Condors v. Henderson last night.. holy crap.. that's like Wayne Maki s**t!
Deharnais and Jermaine Loewen (ex WHL Blazer)

Note: *If he played for Tampa that's a $2,500 fine!

https://twitter.com/CondorsHolty/status/1394334015256096770

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785320 is a reply to message #785319 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 11:57

Probably not even a fine if he played for Tampa

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785349 is a reply to message #785319 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Whew. I wonder what set that off.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785351 is a reply to message #785349 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 13:51

Yeah there was some malice with intent there.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785355 is a reply to message #785349 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 12:51

Rabies?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785335 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Bennett suspended ONE game.

https://twitter.com/nhlplayersafety/status/13943574595071631 38?s=21

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785345 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

For those wondering;

EA did their annual Playoff SIM.

Div Semis:
Leafs 4 - Habs 3
Oilers 4 - Jets 2

Blues 4 - Avs 3
GKnights 4 - Wild 2

Pens 4 - Isles 3
Bruins 4 - Caps 2

Canes 4 - Preds 2
Panthers 4 - Bolts 1

Div Finals:
Oilers 4 - Leafs 2

GKnights 4 - Blues 2

Bruins 4 - Pens 0

Canes 4 - Panthers 2

Semis:
GKnights 4 - Oilers 2

Bruins 4 - Canes 2

EA Stanley Cup Final:
Bruins 4 - GKnights 3

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785398 is a reply to message #785345 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 13:20

For those wondering;

EA did their annual Playoff SIM.

Div Semis:
Leafs 4 - Habs 3
Oilers 4 - Jets 2

Blues 4 - Avs 3
GKnights 4 - Wild 2

Pens 4 - Isles 3
Bruins 4 - Caps 2

Canes 4 - Preds 2
Panthers 4 - Bolts 1

Div Finals:
Oilers 4 - Leafs 2

GKnights 4 - Blues 2

Bruins 4 - Pens 0

Canes 4 - Panthers 2

Semis:
GKnights 4 - Oilers 2

Bruins 4 - Canes 2

EA Stanley Cup Final:
Bruins 4 - GKnights 3

I’m winning a couple hockey drafts if this comes true. My two teams look like the 1990 SCF. Oilers and Bruins.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785359 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

1 Cup

I have to say I really like what the NBA is doing this year with a mini play-in series, similar to what is done in curling championships.

For those who don't know the format is (for each conference):

Top 6 teams get in automatically.

Team 7 plays team 8 (1 game)--winner gets 7 seed.

Team 9 plays team 10 (1 game)--loser is eliminated from playoffs.

Loser of 7/8 play winner of 9/10 (1 game)--winner gets 8 seed, loser is out.

The NHL could easily adopt this (once divisions are back to normal). Since you have the top 3 teams in each division making the playoffs, you could just make the 4 team play-in series with the top four wild card teams in each conference.

I know Lebron James hates it, but I think it would add extra excitement, and keep more teams alive longer in playoff hunts, without unfairly punishing the really good teams.

Am I alone? Do others like this?

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785360 is a reply to message #785359 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 14:58

I have to say I really like what the NBA is doing this year with a mini play-in series, similar to what is done in curling championships.

The NHL could easily adopt this (once divisions are back to normal). Since you have the top 3 teams in each division making the playoffs, you could just make the 4 team play-in series with the top four wild card teams in each conference.

I know Lebron James hates it, but I think it would add extra excitement, and keep more teams alive longer in playoff hunts, without unfairly punishing the really good teams.

I'm not sure I love it. It would add what - a week between Regular Season and Playoffs? And some 10th seed who's had a relatively bad year could potentially get hot, win a couple games and the 7th place team is out. Could be a pretty sizeable spread.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785392 is a reply to message #785360 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 15:03

I'm not sure I love it. It would add what - a week between Regular Season and Playoffs? And some 10th seed who's had a relatively bad year could potentially get hot, win a couple games and the 7th place team is out. Could be a pretty sizeable spread.

Season ended on Sunday. One conference plays Tuesday and Thursday, other play Wed and Friday. I'm assuming playoffs start Saturday. NBA traditionally takes at least 15 days for the first round, so no real worry about rest.

It delays the start 3 or 4 days at most. Instead of done Sunday, start Wednesday, it's start Saturday.

And its awesome. Single game elimination is the best.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785394 is a reply to message #785392 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 22:32

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 15:03

Season ended on Sunday. One conference plays Tuesday and Thursday, other play Wed and Friday. I'm assuming playoffs start Saturday. NBA traditionally takes at least 15 days for the first round, so no real worry about rest.

It delays the start 3 or 4 days at most. Instead of done Sunday, start Wednesday, it's start Saturday.

And its awesome. Single game elimination is the best.

Would last until a team from an important market lost their slot to an Arizona or a Winnipeg..

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785384 is a reply to message #785359 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don’t like it, personally. Already half the league makes playoffs, well more than half but half starting next season. If you can’t crack the top half of the league, you don’t deserve to be in the second season. This isn’t the MLB where it’s typically the same division winners that rotate through on payroll with the odd surprise team here and there. Wildcard/playin works for the MLB. Keep it out of hockey and basketball.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785388 is a reply to message #785384 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Makar is so good on his skates. He’s another absolute joy to watch move around the rink. The only guy I’ve seen who is better on his edges in McDavid

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785389 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

So hall ended up coming in handy. High danger chances 14 to 1 in the game today with him on the ice. Scores the tying goal late in the 3rd, Bruins win it in OT.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #785397 is a reply to message #785389 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 21:08

So hall ended up coming in handy. High danger chances 14 to 1 in the game today with him on the ice. Scores the tying goal late in the 3rd, Bruins win it in OT.

If he can score 6 more goals, he passes Seguin in Bruins playoff goal scoring and officially decides the Taylor vs. Tyler debate!

Pages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]  
Previous Topic:NHL Pre-Season Schedule Begins September 25
Next Topic:Advertising Patches Coming to Jerseys
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca