This day on May 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilcrazy99, Crazy Oiler with nice moves, Oiler_fan11, jordy

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » The Seattle expansion.Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #780351 is a reply to message #780333 ]
Fri, 19 March 2021 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 13:53

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 12:41

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 12:38

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 11:47

If Buffalo offers Eichel and Skinner for expansion draft considerations, does Seattle do it?

Eichel for sure. Maybe not on Skinner though.

They have to take them both, thats the point.

Oooohhh... I thought you meant leave both unprotected, and I wasn't sure why Buffalo would do that with Eichel.

I mean, probably they'd have to consider that pretty strongly. Eichel's a pretty strong building block for an expansion team to start with.

They'd get far more in a trade for Eichel than simply ridding themselves of Skinner. I could see Seattle taking Skinner with a 1st round pick as a sweetener. Problem is that Skinner has a full NMC, so he can't be exposed without permission. Also, Buffalo should not be giving away 1st round picks right now, not for a few years anyway.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #780665 is a reply to message #780351 ]
Mon, 22 March 2021 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 14:44

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 19 March 2021 13:53

If Buffalo offers Eichel and Skinner for expansion draft considerations, does Seattle do it?

Oooohhh... I thought you meant leave both unprotected, and I wasn't sure why Buffalo would do that with Eichel.

I mean, probably they'd have to consider that pretty strongly. Eichel's a pretty strong building block for an expansion team to start with.

They'd get far more in a trade for Eichel than simply ridding themselves of Skinner. I could see Seattle taking Skinner with a 1st round pick as a sweetener. Problem is that Skinner has a full NMC, so he can't be exposed without permission. Also, Buffalo should not be giving away 1st round picks right now, not for a few years anyway.

Buffalo should be getting a really high pick this year and if they are looking to blow things up, will probably be getting high picks for the next couple of seasons so I wouldn't be trading away firsts if I was them.

On the flip side, if Skinner only had a year or 2 left then maybe you consider it if the sweetener is good enough but after this season, he has 6 more years. So if I am Seattle, I don't think there is a sweetener good enough to take on 6 more years of 9 mill Skinner.

Skinner's agent has to be the best agent on the planet to get him that deal. 9 mill a year is pushing ELITE player status and even prior to his drop off, he was never elite.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783487 is a reply to message #780665 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

The source is one of the TSN talking heads not named Bob McKenzie, but sometimes it's a good thing to lconsider a different source.

https://www.tsn.ca/canadian-expansion-draft-primer-2-0-for-t he-seattle-kraken-1.1628561

Says a lot for the Oilers when Skinner is projected to be the goalie they protect.

Not sure Holland will buy out Neal and/or Koskinen. Buyouts haven't rewarded the Oilers very often in the past.

"EDMONTON OILERS

Protection Scheme: 7/3/1

Forwards (7)

Josh Archibald

Leon Draisaitl
Zach Kassian
Connor McDavid
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (UFA)
Jesse Puljujarvi
Kailer Yamamoto

Defence (3)

Ethan Bear
Caleb Jones
Darnell Nurse

Goaltender (1)

Stuart Skinner

Potentially Exposed Players

F James Neal
F Kyle Turris
F Tyler Benson
D Tyson Barrie (UFA)
D Oscar Klefbom
D Adam Larsson (UFA)
G Mikko Koskinen
G Mike Smith (UFA)"

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783489 is a reply to message #783487 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 12:41

The source is one of the TSN talking heads not named Bob McKenzie, but sometimes it's a good thing to lconsider a different source.

https://www.tsn.ca/canadian-expansion-draft-primer-2-0-for-t he-seattle-kraken-1.1628561

Says a lot for the Oilers when Skinner is projected to be the goalie they protect.

Not sure Holland will buy out Neal and/or Koskinen. Buyouts haven't rewarded the Oilers very often in the past.

"EDMONTON OILERS

Protection Scheme: 7/3/1

Forwards (7)

Josh Archibald

Leon Draisaitl
Zach Kassian
Connor McDavid
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (UFA)
Jesse Puljujarvi
Kailer Yamamoto

Defence (3)

Ethan Bear
Caleb Jones
Darnell Nurse

Goaltender (1)

Stuart Skinner

Potentially Exposed Players

F James Neal
F Kyle Turris
F Tyler Benson
D Tyson Barrie (UFA)
D Oscar Klefbom
D Adam Larsson (UFA)
G Mikko Koskinen
G Mike Smith (UFA)"

Those are exactly the players I would protect. I had in my mind Nuge getting resigned prior to the expansion draft. One could argue about Kassian but I don't know who I would protect over him as I don't know if Benson is even an NHLer.

I'd be offering Seattle something to take Neal.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #780660 is a reply to message #780329 ]
Mon, 22 March 2021 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

I would if I were them. Eichel is a player you can build a cup-winning team around. Seattle won't be starting with any dead cap space. So as long as they don't pick-up any other bad contracts in the expansion, then they can live with Skinner. Look at the Oilers, between their dead cap space ($4.58) and James Neal ($5.75M), that's over $10.3M of cap space that isn't providing value. However, if someone said that was the cost of McDavid, every team in the league would be all over it.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #780648 is a reply to message #780317 ]
Mon, 22 March 2021 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Of course they would take Eichel. This whole season has been a disaster but last season he had 36 goals, 78 pts in 68 games. That's 43 goals, 94 pts in 82. If he was old then maybe they don't but he's not even 25 and a right shot. I don't think they could make that selection fast enough.

Skinner, I doubt it. He's going to be 29 in May. He was bad last year, even worse this year. That isn't a one off, that's a trend.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783491 is a reply to message #777776 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

For me, I think it all hinges on if Klefbom is healthy or not, and if RNH signs an extension prior to the the expansion draft.

If Klefbom is set to return, I think you go 4/4. If RNH signs a contract prior to, you probably go 7/3.

Regarding forwards, the only four I NEED protected (outside of an RNH extension) is:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Kassian is what he is - an often injured, overpaid fourth liner. I'd be happy to see Seattle take that on, and although Benson could be less than that, he also could be more. Lower floor, higher ceiling. I'd keep him before Kassian, as Kassian is a problem contract, IMO.

For defense, if you aren't extension Larsson or Barrie prior to, I think you go with those three listed - and Klefbom if he is healthy.

Nurse
Bear
Jones

Goalies, I don't know. None?

Anyways, it does look like the Oilers are prime for picking up someone through trade that a team doesn't want to lose for nothing to expansion. They have a couple forwards spots, one defense spot, and one goaltender spot where they could possibly protect someone much better.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783500 is a reply to message #783491 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 13:06

For me, I think it all hinges on if Klefbom is healthy or not, and if RNH signs an extension prior to the the expansion draft.

If Klefbom is set to return, I think you go 4/4. If RNH signs a contract prior to, you probably go 7/3.

Regarding forwards, the only four I NEED protected (outside of an RNH extension) is:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Kassian is what he is - an often injured, overpaid fourth liner. I'd be happy to see Seattle take that on, and although Benson could be less than that, he also could be more. Lower floor, higher ceiling. I'd keep him before Kassian, as Kassian is a problem contract, IMO.

For defense, if you aren't extension Larsson or Barrie prior to, I think you go with those three listed - and Klefbom if he is healthy.

Nurse
Bear
Jones

Anyways, it does look like the Oilers are prime for picking up someone through trade that a team doesn't want to lose for nothing to expansion. They have a couple forwards spots, one defense spot, and one goaltender spot where they could possibly protect someone much better.

Unless there is a way that the docs could guarantee Klefbom is cured forever and it's not an issue ever again, even if Klefbom is deemed "healthy", I wouldn't protect him. I am not prepared to lose a good player all too protect a guy who is maybe one bump away from retiring. I highly doubt a doc will be able to give that guarantee so it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

My predictions for Klef is that his condition will be as close to cured as it can get if he was just a normal person. Meaning just your average 28 yr old doing normal things. But when it comes to taking the pounding that a pro hockey player would take, there will be no definitive answer if/when his condition will come back. It wouldn't surprise me if docs tell him there is a good chance he will have issues down the road again so he will have a decision to make. If he does come back, I don't see him being the player he was. Being away from the game that long, it will be over a year and a half is a long time will make it hard to come back to the level he was at. Thankfully he never needed to be overly physical to be effective but I could see him shying away from the shoulder in an effort to protect it. I wouldn't blame him if he did. I would probably do the same. I could see him up and retiring at some point next season because something doesn't feel right. If Seattle wants to roll the dice and take him, they sure can but I think it's too big of a risk.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783511 is a reply to message #783491 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Interesting thing with Nuge is, if he wants to stay, he can delay the signing and be unprotected, knowing he’ll come here in the end. From a bargaining point of view, what’s that worth to the team in terms of dollars or years?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783519 is a reply to message #783511 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 16:42

Interesting thing with Nuge is, if he wants to stay, he can delay the signing and be unprotected, knowing he’ll come here in the end. From a bargaining point of view, what’s that worth to the team in terms of dollars or years?

Ideally, if you have any trust in the player, you don't sign them any UFA ahead of the expansion draft. It just makes life more complicated for you.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783520 is a reply to message #783511 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

I honestly don't know how you flesh out that aspect of bargaining. But then again, I'm neither an agent or a GM. Seattle and the league would be pissed if that's a point of negotiation, for sure. I hope the Oilers and RNH already know he's going to sign at a reasonable number and term, which I guess is possible. Fingers crossed but it'll look fishy if the Oilers leave Nuge unprotected without a prior extension.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783522 is a reply to message #783520 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 17:32

I honestly don't know how you flesh out that aspect of bargaining. But then again, I'm neither an agent or a GM. Seattle and the league would be pissed if that's a point of negotiation, for sure. I hope the Oilers and RNH already know he's going to sign at a reasonable number and term, which I guess is possible. Fingers crossed but it'll look fishy if the Oilers leave Nuge unprotected without a prior extension.

I bet you see a bunch of deals reached just prior to free agency this year. There's some of those every year anyhow, so how do you prove that the team and player colluded to screw over Seattle? Good luck. As long as no one flat out admits to it, I think you're fine doing it.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783531 is a reply to message #783522 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 17:37

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 17:32

I bet you see a bunch of deals reached just prior to free agency this year. There's some of those every year anyhow, so how do you prove that the team and player colluded to screw over Seattle? Good luck. As long as no one flat out admits to it, I think you're fine doing it.

The burning question is whether the RNH camp and specifically *Edmonton Oilers Management* have the savvy and the goodwill to have that in place. It would be good for the franchise, pretty clearly.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783583 is a reply to message #783531 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

With our management, if there is a handshake deal in place, it'll be recorded and Lowe will leak it himself to show he's still 'got it'

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783518 is a reply to message #783491 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

I do think if Klefbom is left exposed and there isn't really grave news about him between now and the draft, he's probably who they take. They're going to get all kinds of opportunities to take lower end second pairing guys, but very few first pairing defencemen. Since they don't actually need 29 NHL players, and not everyone is going to play on the Kraken next year, I could see them making a couple of high risk, high reward picks, and Klefbom would definitely fit the mold there.

I do notice the Oilers are maybe doing some damage control on their rosy news from last month with reporting today that Klefbom has said the doc wouldn't guarantee that he'd play NHL hockey again.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783571 is a reply to message #783518 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 17:31

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

I do think if Klefbom is left exposed and there isn't really grave news about him between now and the draft, he's probably who they take. They're going to get all kinds of opportunities to take lower end second pairing guys, but very few first pairing defencemen. Since they don't actually need 29 NHL players, and not everyone is going to play on the Kraken next year, I could see them making a couple of high risk, high reward picks, and Klefbom would definitely fit the mold there.

I do notice the Oilers are maybe doing some damage control on their rosy news from last month with reporting today that Klefbom has said the doc wouldn't guarantee that he'd play NHL hockey again.

What rosy work are we talking about? Maybe I missed something but all I saw was they reported the surgery was a success to do whatever they were hoping it would do. Then I heard them when asked talk about they won't know for a while where he's at and their hope is he can play. That's bad?
I know anytime I don't go on a rant about why the Oilers are horrible that means I am sticking up for them but I am not sure what people wanted. Was the hope they come out when asked and say, it was touch and go, we almost lost the guy, we are having nightly candle light pray sessions for the guy, start a hashtag #prayforoscar? I admit they didn't make it that his arm was borderline amputated but the information that gave was pretty vague at best.

When it comes to the expansion draft. Just reassures to me how they can't protect him no matter what. You can't risk losing an asset to project a guy who there is no idea if he will play ever again or if he will play a few games and be done. You should be making your protection list and roster decisions as if he isn't part of your team ever again. Then if he can, you adjust.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783573 is a reply to message #783571 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 08:50

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

What rosy work are we talking about? Maybe I missed something but all I saw was they reported the surgery was a success to do whatever they were hoping it would do. Then I heard them when asked talk about they won't know for a while where he's at and their hope is he can play. That's bad?
I know anytime I don't go on a rant about why the Oilers are horrible that means I am sticking up for them but I am not sure what people wanted. Was the hope they come out when asked and say, it was touch and go, we almost lost the guy, we are having nightly candle light pray sessions for the guy, start a hashtag #prayforoscar? I admit they didn't make it that his arm was borderline amputated but the information that gave was pretty vague at best.

When it comes to the expansion draft. Just reassures to me how they can't protect him no matter what. You can't risk losing an asset to project a guy who there is no idea if he will play ever again or if he will play a few games and be done. You should be making your protection list and roster decisions as if he isn't part of your team ever again. Then if he can, you adjust.

Yes. Without outright lying, you say the surgery was completed and he'll be in recovery for an undetermined amount of time. Let it look grim, even if it costs you some Klefbom Superfan seaason ticketholders. Anything to push the needle closer to not needing to protect him (although it's the Oilers so there was never really a shot at that).

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783574 is a reply to message #783573 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 09:07

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

Yes. Without outright lying, you say the surgery was completed and he'll be in recovery for an undetermined amount of time. Let it look grim, even if it costs you some Klefbom Superfan seaason ticketholders. Anything to push the needle closer to not needing to protect him (although it's the Oilers so there was never really a shot at that).

So saying the surgery was a success and we won't know anything for a few months is too rosy? I personally felt like they didn't tell me jack squat and I wanted to know more. They didn't tell me what they found, what they did, how it could go, what rehab was like. Nothing. Just it was a success meaning what?

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783580 is a reply to message #783574 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 09:13

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

So saying the surgery was a success and we won't know anything for a few months is too rosy? I personally felt like they didn't tell me jack squat and I wanted to know more. They didn't tell me what they found, what they did, how it could go, what rehab was like. Nothing. Just it was a success meaning what?

Remember the massive gap in information regarding McDavid's injury? They're capable of keeping their mouths shut if they really try.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783584 is a reply to message #783580 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 10:17

Remember the massive gap in information regarding McDavid's injury? They're capable of keeping their mouths shut if they really try.

It was somewhat miraculous that they stayed as quiet as they did about McDavid.

Quote:

6. There’s Oscar Klefbom. The veteran defenceman had surgery last week on his shoulder. He’s been in quarantine for a week. A long rehab follows. There’s optimism within the organization about the surgery, I’m told, but it’s still too early to tell its true effectiveness. The Oilers are hoping to know with near certainty before the expansion draft about Klefbom’s status. Will he be back in time for opening night? Will he play at some point next season? Will he play again at all? If it’s either of the first two scenarios, the Oilers will have to decide whether to protect him. He would not be exempt from the draft. He’d only be exempt if he cannot play next season, the Oilers source said. (Then why would Seattle choose him?) So, mark your calendars for early July. Klefbom led all Oilers defencemen in penalty-kill and power-play ice time last season. His health could determine if Tyson Barrie is re-signed to quarterback the power play. A power play …
https://theathletic.com/2495514/2021/04/03/what-im-hearing-a bout-the-oilers-ahead-of-the-trade-deadline-taylor-hall-evan -bouchard-and-more/?source=rss

Here's Daniel Nugent-Bowman's article about this April 3rd. Same article where he says that Oilers sources are saying they "aren't a contender" right now. These Oilers sources also say both A) the league needs to be convinced Klefbom is probably not playing next year and B) that they're optimistic he'll play again. You wonder sometimes if the Oilers don't hurt themselves on purpose when you read things like that. Why would you put out that you're optimistic at all, even anonymously? Heck - if you're talking anonymously, why not be hinting the exact opposite - say that they team is preparing for life after Klefbom, and examining all their options for the summer?

There's no strategy when it comes to media for the Oilers management. They just talk and say whatever is on their minds. Sometimes they do it anonymously, sometimes they go on the record. Either way, it's just a stream of consciousness with zero thought to any message outside of "managing a NHL team is hard" and "we try really hard."

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783587 is a reply to message #783580 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 10:17

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 09:13

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

I didn't think they said a hell of a lot but you are right, they could have said we think he's getting surgery in 2021 and hope it goes well. Then leave it at that.

Whenever I see a media guy say "his sources" I do wonder who that source is and what level of factualism the information they supposedly give up is. Is it someone reasonably high up who would be in the actual know or just some employee of the Oilers who heard in the hall Oilers brass say "well we sure hope he plays". There sure seems to be a ton of media guys who say something like "My really good source told me......" then player X who was supposed to be traded or signed never happens.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783575 is a reply to message #783573 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm is currently online Oscargasm

6 Cups

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

What about Klefbom Superfan posters? Asking for a friend...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783577 is a reply to message #783575 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 09:14

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

They would like you to start a candle light vigil outside Rogers for Klefbom. Make it seem like he's close to death. The Oilers shouldn't have had a presser showing Klefbom alive. Those shoulder surgeries are know to kill guys.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783579 is a reply to message #783577 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

I think the goalie they should protect is Stalock, despite him having yet to play a game as an Oiler.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783582 is a reply to message #783579 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 09:59

I think the goalie they should protect is Stalock, despite him having yet to play a game as an Oiler.

Agreed. I think all the bad contracts - Kassian, Koskinen, Neal, etc. should be left available no matter if the Oilers have room to protect them or not. If Seattle wants to do us a favour and take someone with a big contract we should give them all the opportunity possible to do so.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783581 is a reply to message #783575 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

You might need to put up a poll for a new name. Yamgasm, Brobergasm, Bouchsplosion?

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783585 is a reply to message #783581 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 10:18

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

You might need to put up a poll for a new name. Yamgasm, Brobergasm, Bouchsplosion?

I feel the only choice would be Puljujarvi inspired...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783586 is a reply to message #783585 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 11:05

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

Puljujargasm?

Jessegasm?

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783622 is a reply to message #783586 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 11:07

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

Puljujargasm?

Jessegasm?

During one GDT awhile back I used Yessagasm after one of his goals. I almost changed my name but who am I without my name? Changing my profile pic was enough for me

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783625 is a reply to message #783586 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

Puljujargasm?

Jessegasm?

Puloffmypants?

Jesse’sBoy?

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783690 is a reply to message #783625 ]
Tue, 27 April 2021 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 20:02

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

Puljujargasm?

Jessegasm?

Puloffmypants?

Jesse’sBoy?

Pretty sure you have to win a survivor to be allowed to change your name...

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783709 is a reply to message #783690 ]
Tue, 27 April 2021 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Tue, 27 April 2021 06:52

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

Puljujargasm?

Jessegasm?

Puloffmypants?

Jesse’sBoy?

What’s a survivor? (I kid, I kid... *looks at Pi*)

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783710 is a reply to message #783709 ]
Tue, 27 April 2021 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 27 April 2021 13:11

McDavid
Draisaitl
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

Nurse
Bear
Jones

Puljujargasm?

Jessegasm?

Puloffmypants?

Jesse’sBoy?

Even Pi can't keep track of all the variables with this wacky schedule fluidity. Can't blame Pi.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #783713 is a reply to message #783710 ]
Tue, 27 April 2021 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Tue, 27 April 2021 13:41

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 27 April 2021 13:11

Even Pi can't keep track of all the variables with this wacky schedule fluidity. Can't blame Pi.

I got busy and was dropping the ball on morning updates. Dealing with schedule changes is pretty easy when you make the player responsible for their picks. It's actually pretty fun to run the game and I would encourage anyone to pick up the torch, even for a round or two because I won't have the capacity to take it on for the rest of the season.

By next season (should it happen) I'm sure I'll have the itch again.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #784087 is a reply to message #777776 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

https://twitter.com/jimmathesonnhl/status/138928174769985945 7?s=20

Matty thinks we should protect Archibald...

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #784088 is a reply to message #784087 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 03 May 2021 13:30

https://media1.giphy.com/media/vhaj0GMFlIeFa/giphy.gif

I really need Matty to reveal he's just been trolling us all.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #784091 is a reply to message #784087 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 03 May 2021 13:30

It definitely makes you wonder if there really should be sportswriters allowed in to the Hockey Hall of Fame, especially while they're still working, when you get this kind of analysis from a HOF inductee. Does he not understand the rules? Or does he not understand that we'd rather keep a good young defenceman than a guy who has as many empty net goals as he does goals scored against a goalie this year.

I appreciate Archibald as a player, but that is a replaceable part. We need to lose someone so if that's it? Count yourself lucky and move on.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #784119 is a reply to message #784091 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I assume the most people in here see the Oilers protecting the following:
- McD, Leon, Yamo, JP, Nuge(I assume he gets signed or their protect him as a UFA)

- Nurse, Bear, Jones

Based on what I have read in here, I assume most people are like me and see these guys as locks for Oilers exposing at forward:

UFA'a: Chiasson, Haas, Nygard, Ennis, P. Russell. Any UFA in Bakersfield.
Signed: - Neal, Turris,

On defense they will expose:
UFA's - Koekkoek, Kulikov, Larsson, Barrie (not sure they can afford him or even want too). I don't see the value in signing any them before the draft.
Signed: Klefbom (too big of a injury risk, who knows if he ever plays again), Russell, Lagesson (not playing full time, is he even a full time NHLer)

So that brings the RFA's.

First, I do not see the point in going 4-4-1 because there is no 4th dman to protect. I think Lagesson can play but I don't see him as more than a #6. Klefbom like I said too big of a injury risk assuming he never plays. So they would go 7-3-1.

I have 5 forwards up top protected, so they need 2 more. So that leaves:
Signed: Kassian, Arch
RFA's: Khaira, Kahun, Shore.

I am not worried about losing a Marody or a Benson because I don't even know if they are NHLers. Yes they are lighting up the AHL but that doesn't mean they can play at the NHL level.

So who are the other 2 forwards to protect?

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #784121 is a reply to message #784119 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 03 May 2021 17:00

- McD, Leon, Yamo, JP, Nuge(I assume he gets signed or their protect him as a UFA)

- Nurse, Bear, Jones

Based on what I have read in here, I assume most people are like me and see these guys as locks for Oilers exposing at forward:

UFA's - Koekkoek, Kulikov, Larsson, Barrie (not sure they can afford him or even want too). I don't see the value in signing any them before the draft.
Signed: Klefbom (too big of a injury risk, who knows if he ever plays again), Russell, Lagesson (not playing full time, is he even a full time NHLer)

First, I do not see the point in going 4-4-1 because there is no 4th dman to protect. I think Lagesson can play but I don't see him as more than a #6. Klefbom like I said too big of a injury risk assuming he never plays. So they would go 7-3-1.

I am not worried about losing a Marody or a Benson because I don't even know if they are NHLers. Yes they are lighting up the AHL but that doesn't mean they can play at the NHL level.

Think I would go 4-4-1:

Forwards: McDavid, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto
Defense: Nurse, Bear, Jones, Klefbom (or Lagesson if Oscar is immune or they know he's never playing again).

There are really no other forwards I'm worried about losing.

Nugent-Hopkins, Barrie, and Larsson if they want to re-sign--I would make it clear to their agents that we can negotiate and even strike a "handshake deal" but nothing becomes official until after the expansion draft. This will save you having to protect them (Seattle will never select a UFA).

This is of course assuming the current roster. Since we don't have a goalie that needs protecting, the Oilers should be in an ideal position to trade for a goalie from a team that has two and can only protect one. I really hope Holland is looking into that.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #784152 is a reply to message #784121 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Mon, 03 May 2021 18:03

- Nurse, Bear, Jones

Think I would go 4-4-1:

Defense: Nurse, Bear, Jones, Klefbom (or Lagesson if Oscar is immune or they know he's never playing again).

Nugent-Hopkins, Barrie, and Larsson if they want to re-sign--I would make it clear to their agents that we can negotiate and even strike a "handshake deal" but nothing becomes official until after the expansion draft. This will save you having to protect them (Seattle will never select a UFA).

This is of course assuming the current roster. Since we don't have a goalie that needs protecting, the Oilers should be in an ideal position to trade for a goalie from a team that has two and can only protect one. I really hope Holland is looking into that.

Yep - this is the right answer.

I'm not sure the Oilers realize they can bend rules with things like "handshake deals" though. I expect them to sign everyone ahead of the draft and then lose someone they don't have to.

Re: The Seattle expansion. [message #784153 is a reply to message #784152 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 03 May 2021 21:51

benv wrote on Mon, 03 May 2021 18:03

- Nurse, Bear, Jones

Think I would go 4-4-1:

Yep - this is the right answer.

I'm not sure the Oilers realize they can bend rules with things like "handshake deals" though. I expect them to sign everyone ahead of the draft and then lose someone they don't have to.

There is a right answer, and then there is the reality you hint at, hehe.

I think we sign Larsson and Nuge before the draft and we're stuck having to protect them. That's just how we roll!!

Boy does it become difficult after we do that :)

Defense: Nurse, Larsson, Bear
Forwards: McDavid, Drai, Nuge, Yams, Pulju, Benson, ???

??? may be Jujhar hockey?

I can't see us giving Benson away. I think the org thinks there is a player there. Just making sure he's the perfect amount of overripe.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Coyotes gauging market for Jakob Chychrun
Next Topic:Which Oilers player is unvaccinated?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca