This day on November 29
None

Happy Birthday To: Lew19, Houndtown, aheadby1, rwilford, Lucky Luc 20, onintwo, Gimmetrades

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Arizona is in deep doo dooPages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #753981]
Sat, 08 February 2020 23:19 Go to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Fitness testing on at least 20 draft eligible players. Minimum fine of $250,000 per.

This puts Gary in an awkward spot. He loves his franchise in Arizona.

Is he just gonna tell Bill to wag his finger at them?

https://www.tsn.ca/arizona-coyotes-believed-to-have-fitness- tested-20-plus-draft-eligible-players-1.1439740

[Updated on: Sat, 08 February 2020 23:20]

#CANCELbob

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #753982 is a reply to message #753981 ]
Sat, 08 February 2020 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lowebudget  is currently offline lowebudget

No Cups

Honestly, the NHL should penalize Arizona by taking away draft picks. A fine does nothing.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #753983 is a reply to message #753982 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

lowebudget wrote on Sat, 08 February 2020 23:45

Honestly, the NHL should penalize Arizona by taking away draft picks. A fine does nothing.

Like they did with NJ? And then NJ just ended up saying, nah we good dawg and never actually gave up the pick.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #753985 is a reply to message #753983 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 01:13

Like they did with NJ? And then NJ just ended up saying, nah we good dawg and never actually gave up the pick.

I personally think that the only appropriate punishment is to disqualify them from the playoffs and have them surrender all players to their originally drafted teams.

Clean house or bust

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #753987 is a reply to message #753982 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teammate Avry  is currently offline Teammate Avry

No Cups

It would never happen but a better punishment I think is making a team sit out an entire draft for something this blatant.

A guy who if you turned into a gumbo is a wild mix of sports podcaster/TV reporter and sports writer.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #753988 is a reply to message #753982 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Lose picks and the 5 million comes off the cap.

Forced into moving Hall or OEL in order to fit under the CAP in time.

#CANCELbob

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #753989 is a reply to message #753988 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 08:51

Lose picks and the 5 million comes off the cap.

Forced into moving Hall or OEL in order to fit under the CAP in time.

When this first came out I was expecting to hear it was maybe 5 prospects, not at least 20. Yeah, a $250,000 per prospect fine is pretty steep when you take 20 plus prospects into account. But!!! It has to be something other than just a real money fine to make any punishment effective.

It’s a pretty big no no. And from a team that consistently gets considerable assistance from other markets in the form of profit share, a financial hit is a slap on the wrist.

The penalty should be in some form of hockey related discipline, be it cap hit or draft pick loss. The NHL are in a #MUSTWIN situation on this one and can set a real precedent here.

The Oilers had to supply draft picks to teams for hiring their FIRED GM and HC. Just saying.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #753993 is a reply to message #753982 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Would be funny if the punishment made the Devils lose the picks that Arizona traded them. Bettman's revenge after Lou manipulating him so many times.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #753990 is a reply to message #753981 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

3 Cups

Meh, it's just fitness testing. Not a huge deal.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #753991 is a reply to message #753990 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 10:42

A rule is a rule and is in place to give teams an equal playing field on prospects. AZ got caught breaking the rule and should be punished accordingly.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #753997 is a reply to message #753991 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 09:58

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 10:42

A rule is a rule and is in place to give teams an equal playing field on prospects. AZ got caught breaking the rule and should be punished accordingly.

I agree. Maybe if we had some one on one fitness testing with Puljujarvi we would’ve learned some other things about him that would’ve made us bypass him in the draft. I get that it’s “fitness testing”, but you can’t tell me there wasn’t some sort of discussions going on where they got to know the kid better.

Monetary fines will hurt that franchise, but the Canadian clubs are essentially paying their bill with revenue sharing. Hammer them with draft pick penalties. I’m tired of them receiving only benefits from the league when they provide nothing of value or entertainment.

The only thing they’re good for is cheap NHL tickets when I go on golf trips to Arizona. I don’t go enough to miss them.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #754003 is a reply to message #753981 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So many player agents didn’t pick up on this? I’m sure there is some duplicity, but I doubt it’s one clown representing all of them.

Wonder how may other organizations are thinking “oh crap” right now?

#CANCELbob

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #754078 is a reply to message #754003 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Charging the Yotes fines for each player doesn't do much in my opinion. The Yotes are a heavily subsidized team in revenue sharing. What's the league going to do, cut themselves a cheque for the fine? Losing a few draft picks would be a better punishment but it won't happen.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #754082 is a reply to message #753981 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Penalize with draft picks, same as what the WHL did to Portland when they were up to no good with their recruiting.

Quote:

The Winterhawks have been fined $200,000 and GM and head coach Mike Johnston has been suspended for the rest of the 2012-13 season, including the playoffs. Additionally, the Winterhawks cannot select a player in the first five rounds of the 2013 WHL bantam draft and also forfeit their first-round selections in the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 bantam drafts.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/whl-slams-portland-for- violations-club-fined-coach-banned-bantam-draft-picks-forfei ted-1.24832

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #754084 is a reply to message #754082 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

In my opinion, if the league wants this to be taken seriously, giving a fine doesn't do that. Maybe for a cash strapped team like the Yotes, losing millions hurts but if I was a rich team like the Leafs or others, would paying a couple million to get extra intel on potential players be worth it? Hell yeah.

The draft has come a long way but you are still trying to project what a 17 yr old will be like when he is in 20, 25, 30. So it's still a crap shoot to some degree. So if it costs you 250k to get extra information on a player and that could be the difference between picking a guy that is really good for you for a long time, or a guy who may or may not even make it. So that's a small price to pay in my books. So if the league wants to stop teams from doing it, has to be more than a fine.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #754092 is a reply to message #754082 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Assuming the NHL doesn't want to completely remove draft picks from Arizona, because that will hurt their system for potentially years to come, there's an opportunity for them to be a little creative - move all their 2020 draft picks to the last pick of the round. They still get to pick, but they'll get ~15 picks worse with every selection.

Because they dealt their 1st and 3rd round picks away this year anyhow, they wouldn't be hurt as badly as they might in any other year (the NHL would probably have to allow New Jersey and Colorado to maintain their spot in the draft order - not really fair to penalize them for what Arizona did - but anyone else would know that it's the 31st pick of each round if they dealt for them subsequent to the penalties). The precedent would be pretty painful for anyone caught doing this in the future though.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #754107 is a reply to message #754092 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 12:12

Assuming the NHL doesn't want to completely remove draft picks from Arizona, because that will hurt their system for potentially years to come, there's an opportunity for them to be a little creative - move all their 2020 draft picks to the last pick of the round. They still get to pick, but they'll get ~15 picks worse with every selection.

Because they dealt their 1st and 3rd round picks away this year anyhow, they wouldn't be hurt as badly as they might in any other year (the NHL would probably have to allow New Jersey and Colorado to maintain their spot in the draft order - not really fair to penalize them for what Arizona did - but anyone else would know that it's the 31st pick of each round if they dealt for them subsequent to the penalties). The precedent would be pretty painful for anyone caught doing this in the future though.

Do it up like the Dub did. Play by the rules or face the consequences.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/whl-suspends-portland-winter hawks-coachgm-and-fines-team-for-violations

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #754108 is a reply to message #754107 ]
Mon, 10 February 2020 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 14:33

https://nationalpost.com/sports/whl-suspends-portland-winter hawks-coachgm-and-fines-team-for-violations

That probably makes some sense - but I don't think the NHL is going to take that hard a line here. This is a franchise they've spent considerable effort on, in a market they feel is important and they just aren't going to want to slap them so hard that it significantly hampers the team's ability to compete.

So if they're not going to throw the book at them, they need something that looks heavy-handed enough to discourage other teams from cheating in the future, while not crippling the Coyotes now.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #754210 is a reply to message #754108 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 15:12

That probably makes some sense - but I don't think the NHL is going to take that hard a line here. This is a franchise they've spent considerable effort on, in a market they feel is important and they just aren't going to want to slap them so hard that it significantly hampers the team's ability to compete.

So if they're not going to throw the book at them, they need something that looks heavy-handed enough to discourage other teams from cheating in the future, while not crippling the Coyotes now.

I also don't think they will either, but if you drew a line in the sand and followed through with heavy tactics if someone crossed, I guarantee you it would be a deterrent for others who were considering on breaking rules in the future. That line SHOULD apply to everyone equally.

Really my only wish is for League wide consistency. It was terrible watching Lou get away with BS, while we got penalized for hiring someone's sloppy seconds.Then you have teams circumventing the cap with some pretty sketchy injury claims (Hossa, Lupul) or trading guys who are on LTIR or who have left the NHL (Pronger/Datysyuk). Frustrating.

The league is a farce. If Kevin Lowe feels he can tier his Oilers supporters it comes from a place of familiarity. The League has been flavouring franchises forever. In the eyes of NHL, Canadian teams west of Toronto are Tier 3's.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #754212 is a reply to message #754210 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 13:12

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 February 2020 15:12

I also don't think they will either, but if you drew a line in the sand and followed through with heavy tactics if someone crossed, I guarantee you it would be a deterrent for others who were considering on breaking rules in the future. That line SHOULD apply to everyone equally.

Really my only wish is for League wide consistency. It was terrible watching Lou get away with BS, while we got penalized for hiring someone's sloppy seconds.Then you have teams circumventing the cap with some pretty sketchy injury claims (Hossa, Lupul) or trading guys who are on LTIR or who have left the NHL (Pronger/Datysyuk). Frustrating.

The league is a farce. If Kevin Lowe feels he can tier his Oilers supporters it comes from a place of familiarity. The League has been flavouring franchises forever. In the eyes of NHL, Canadian teams west of Toronto are Tier 3's.

As if hiring Chiarelli wasn’t enough of a punishment on its own!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #762608 is a reply to message #753981 ]
Sat, 27 June 2020 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Max Bultman @m_bultman
Underrated moment in the Yzerman press conference was when he was talking about how no teams have the testing they normally would have gotten at the combine.

"Every team but one, actually."

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #762626 is a reply to message #762608 ]
Sun, 28 June 2020 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 27 June 2020 13:15

Max Bultman @m_bultman
Underrated moment in the Yzerman press conference was when he was talking about how no teams have the testing they normally would have gotten at the combine.

"Every team but one, actually."

Did he actually say that ? LOL! rofl
Beauty.

Just when Arizona and their NHL backers were thinking everyone had probably forgotten about it .. Stevie puts it on the front burner.. awesome.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #765965 is a reply to message #762626 ]
Wed, 26 August 2020 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

And the price Arizona pays is:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/coyotes-forfeit-two-dra ft-picks-penalty-combine-testing-violation/

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #765966 is a reply to message #765965 ]
Wed, 26 August 2020 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

DAMN!! The NHL actually disciplined a team for being bad. I am a bit surprised.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #765988 is a reply to message #765966 ]
Wed, 26 August 2020 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 August 2020 12:02

Hey, Lou Lamarillo wasn't the GM this time.. still Arizona is an NHL incubator franchise.. surprised at the 1st, but happy about it. I think the Arizona GM that just left, it was speculated he left for a better job, I think he was booted out or he'd have been removed by the NHL.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #765993 is a reply to message #765988 ]
Thu, 27 August 2020 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 26 August 2020 18:48

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 August 2020 12:02

Hey, Lou Lamarillo wasn't the GM this time.. still Arizona is an NHL incubator franchise.. surprised at the 1st, but happy about it. I think the Arizona GM that just left, it was speculated he left for a better job, I think he was booted out or he'd have been removed by the NHL.

Given the statements from the Coyotes on his departure, I don't believe for a second he was fired. He's resurfacing very soon with the Devils & their larger sports organization. He ends up walking away scot-free for his transgressions. Who knows - maybe it was that willingness to break the rules that attracted the other team to him (also in violation of tampering rules)...

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #765968 is a reply to message #765965 ]
Wed, 26 August 2020 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 26 August 2020 12:56

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/coyotes-forfeit-two-dra ft-picks-penalty-combine-testing-violation/

Way more than I was expecting for Arizona. That first has got to hurt.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #765974 is a reply to message #765968 ]
Wed, 26 August 2020 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 26 August 2020 13:34

Guess they better hope the sneaky stuff lets them land a gem in a later round :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #765976 is a reply to message #765974 ]
Wed, 26 August 2020 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 26 August 2020 14:40

JPro wrote on Wed, 26 August 2020 13:34

Guess they better hope the sneaky stuff lets them land a gem in a later round :)

Now we have to wait and see if they stick to the punishment or they don't just give them a pass on it next year like they did for the Devils around the Kovalchuk contract...

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #765994 is a reply to message #765976 ]
Thu, 27 August 2020 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I heard Gregor talking yesterday how he knows Coyotes staff would show up at junior games and ask players to do workouts right after a game. Both major junior and Junior A. He's got a nephew that is just starting out his NHL career so I assume he has first hand knowledge.

I would think what they did was pretty significant. Taking away a teams first round pick is a a pretty big punishment. Those are gold to teams.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #765998 is a reply to message #765994 ]
Thu, 27 August 2020 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 27 August 2020 10:06

I heard Gregor talking yesterday how he knows Coyotes staff would show up at junior games and ask players to do workouts right after a game. Both major junior and Junior A. He's got a nephew that is just starting out his NHL career so I assume he has first hand knowledge.

I would think what they did was pretty significant. Taking away a teams first round pick is a a pretty big punishment. Those are gold to teams.

Again - if they stick to their guns and actually hold Arizona to the punishment. I could see them arguing similar to the Devils with Kovalchuk that the offender is gone from there anyhow, so why should the team get penalized? They'll have already lost their second round pick, so take pity on them!

It shouldn't work but it might.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #765999 is a reply to message #765998 ]
Thu, 27 August 2020 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 27 August 2020 13:20

Again - if they stick to their guns and actually hold Arizona to the punishment. I could see them arguing similar to the Devils with Kovalchuk that the offender is gone from there anyhow, so why should the team get penalized? They'll have already lost their second round pick, so take pity on them!

Dammit - we couldn't have argued "Chia and McLellan suck, give us back our picks"?

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #766001 is a reply to message #765998 ]
Thu, 27 August 2020 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 27 August 2020 10:20

But the organization is not just 1 guy. There is the owner, Presidents, GM's, assistant GM's, scouts etc. The GM is gone but the rest aren't. I doubt it was the former GM going to small Canadian towns making kids to a workout in front of him. Others would have been involved.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #766005 is a reply to message #766001 ]
Thu, 27 August 2020 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 27 August 2020 10:43

But the organization is not just 1 guy. There is the owner, Presidents, GM's, assistant GM's, scouts etc. The GM is gone but the rest aren't. I doubt it was the former GM going to small Canadian towns making kids to a workout in front of him. Others would have been involved.

Hey, I'm with you. I don't think the NHL should back down...but I thought the same with the Kovalchuk penalty and the NHL didn't even explain their reasoning as they gave back the Devils the pick they forfeited for trying to end-run the system.

Mike wrote on Thu, 27 August 2020 10:32

Dammit - we couldn't have argued "Chia and McLellan suck, give us back our picks"?

Yes - we SHOULD have argued that. And that it was unfair since it was a stupid rule that they stopped right afterwards and almost no one got dinged on it except us.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #766007 is a reply to message #766005 ]
Thu, 27 August 2020 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 27 August 2020 12:01

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 27 August 2020 10:43

Hey, I'm with you. I don't think the NHL should back down...but I thought the same with the Kovalchuk penalty and the NHL didn't even explain their reasoning as they gave back the Devils the pick they forfeited for trying to end-run the system.

Mike wrote on Thu, 27 August 2020 10:32

Yes - we SHOULD have argued that. And that it was unfair since it was a stupid rule that they stopped right afterwards and almost no one got dinged on it except us.

That is Lou though when he was with the Devils. He does what he wants. He probably has dirt on everyone in the NHL that he just reminds people about when it's needed.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #766011 is a reply to message #766007 ]
Thu, 27 August 2020 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 27 August 2020 12:22

That is Lou though when he was with the Devils. He does what he wants. He probably has dirt on everyone in the NHL that he just reminds people about when it's needed.

I think the problem is more at the NHL level than who the GM is. They're remarkably inconsistent with these things. Look no further than the ridiculous Lucic/Neal decision.

This shouldn't come down to whether someone at league offices owes a favour to someone or whether the guy has enough pull or "has dirt" on people.

The NHL's levied a punishment. We've seen in the past that doesn't always mean they're going to enforce that - and this is a team who's success the league is heavily invested in to. I hope they do stick to their guns, but I know better than to think that's a certainty - especially with the league making the more painful punishment come further out and with the easy excuse that this was all the GM's fault anyhow...whether that's true at all or not.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #766014 is a reply to message #765965 ]
Thu, 27 August 2020 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

John Chayka really sewered this team, before just abandoning them.

Really interesting that the first round pick they traded this year for Taylor Hall was to the New Jersey Devils... the ownership team Chayka was reportedly interviewing with at the time and wants to go work for now. I don't think you can negate that trade at this point (and the price was actually probably fair), but there clearly was a conflict of interest and the NHL should not approve letting him anywhere near the Devils organization (or perhaps any other for a while)

The Coyotes behaved unethically, but that very much seems to be the mode of operation for Chayka.

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #766027 is a reply to message #766014 ]
Thu, 27 August 2020 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 27 August 2020 14:09

John Chayka really sewered this team, before just abandoning them.

Really interesting that the first round pick they traded this year for Taylor Hall was to the New Jersey Devils... the ownership team Chayka was reportedly interviewing with at the time and wants to go work for now. I don't think you can negate that trade at this point (and the price was actually probably fair), but there clearly was a conflict of interest and the NHL should not approve letting him anywhere near the Devils organization (or perhaps any other for a while)

The Coyotes behaved unethically, but that very much seems to be the mode of operation for Chayka.

Depends when the conversations between Chayka and the ownership of the Devils took place. It's certainly possible that they were impressed with him in those negotiations but had not had any discussions about Chayka's future before the trade was made. My understanding is that most of the drama happened after the league was shut down in the Spring, which would mean the deal was untainted.

If I was the owner though, I'd be pushing Bettman to give me back the picks from New Jersey for tampering...

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #766342 is a reply to message #766027 ]
Sun, 06 September 2020 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

I would never have gussed this guy would ever be considered to become General Manager of the Coyotes.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/broadcaster-pierre-mcgu ire-interviewed-coyotes-gm-position/

No love for Peter Chiarelli?

Re: Arizona is in deep doo doo [message #766359 is a reply to message #766342 ]
Mon, 07 September 2020 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 06 September 2020 08:29

I would never have gussed this guy would ever be considered to become General Manager of the Coyotes.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/broadcaster-pierre-mcgu ire-interviewed-coyotes-gm-position/

No love for Peter Chiarelli?

Chiarelli will be President of Hockey operations...... A double whammy.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Winnipeg Jets to Require Proof of Vaccination
Next Topic:56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca