This day on December 7
None

Happy Birthday To: E-townchamps, Piercimo, Lupul15, Jakey, codysunshine, Oilersfanforever, danielduperron

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers roster moves for 19-20 seasonPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers roster moves for 19-20 season [message #737661 is a reply to message #737658 ]
Wed, 15 May 2019 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 15 May 2019 18:18

stemhovlichski wrote on Wed, 15 May 2019 17:04

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 May 2019 10:27

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 14 May 2019 10:02

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 May 2019 08:33

I keep reading from some media guys especially some of the stats guys how Sekera looked good in a 3rd pairing role and the numbers backed it up plus he's apparently looking good at the Worlds. Because of that, they are saying the Oilers should keep him for another year.

Sekera is turning 33 and after 2 major leg injuries, there was a fear that his days as being effective in the NHL were over. So far it looks like he can still play, for sure as a really good 3rd pairing guy. If he has a strong worlds, maybe there is an outside chance at being a #4. So if that is the case, wouldn't it make sense for the Oilers to use that and maybe be able to move him? He's a left shot, the Oilers have 2 pretty good left shot, top 4 dman in Nurse and Klefbom. If you could trade him for anything and you don't have to retain to do it because it looks like he's actually useful, why wouldn't you want to free up 5.5 mill off the books.

I'm of the opinion that the Oilers are not in a position to move a decent NHL dman for anything. Move a prospect maybe. The team's D was awful most of last year (coincidentally when Sekera was out).

I would counter by saying that I think we all can agree that the Oilers defense isn't good enough and if they are ever going to get better, they need some changes. I am of the opinion that they need to add a couple of dmen who can skate, move the puck and have some kind of a offensive dimension. Taking money out of the equation for a minute, in order to inject some different dmen that bring a skill set they need, you have to have roster spots.

I've been too busy at work to watch the games, but has anyone been scouting Sekera's performance in the World's? Sekera got beat on the winning goal vs Canada and I just saw Drai scored to beat the Slovaks but didn't see who was on D. Is he looking good, okay, slow or done?

Haven't watched but second hand it sounds like he's skating even better than when he returned this season. So a dash of optimism. I roll the dice and keep him.

This sounds like the time of the year when Oilfans betrays itself by talking ourselves into something we know isn’t true.

This is fine.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers roster moves for 19-20 season [message #737688 is a reply to message #737661 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

I've always liked Sekera's game, I'm not sure why people don't like him. The only time frame when he wasn't good was 2017/2018 when he came back from injury. Dude is good at hockey and plays a low-impact game, which is good for dudes his age.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers roster moves for 19-20 season [message #737703 is a reply to message #737661 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I would keep Sekera taking a chance that he's healthy enough to contribute too because he would be hard to replace for equal value so may as well try to get value for his contract instead of buy out or an iffy trade. He's a good player. Would like to see Jones move up this season so something has to give for that to happen. Not sure about Russel for longer, although I like the player but Benning has proven he's decent if playing down the line up and I have no problem if they keep him for that role. Keep Nurse, Larsson and Kelfbom for sure. They are the foundation of the defence.

Re: Oilers roster moves for 19-20 season [message #737710 is a reply to message #737703 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 10:24

I would keep Sekera taking a chance that he's healthy enough to contribute too because he would be hard to replace for equal value so may as well try to get value for his contract instead of buy out or an iffy trade. He's a good player. Would like to see Jones move up this season so something has to give for that to happen. Not sure about Russel for longer, although I like the player but Benning has proven he's decent if playing down the line up and I have no problem if they keep him for that role. Keep Nurse, Larsson and Kelfbom for sure. They are the foundation of the defence.

Where are you playing Sekera? He's a left shot making 5.5 mill. You have Klefbom and Nurse, both left shots who I assume and the Oilers would be crazy not too, are the 2 left shots for the top 4. So that means you have a 5.5 mill dman in the 3rd pairing. Cap wise, that makes no sense what so ever. Playing him on the right side in the top 4 makes even less sense. He's no where near as effective on his offside.

Re: Oilers roster moves for 19-20 season [message #737713 is a reply to message #737710 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 11:00

overdue wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 10:24

Where are you playing Sekera? He's a left shot making 5.5 mill. You have Klefbom and Nurse, both left shots who I assume and the Oilers would be crazy not too, are the 2 left shots for the top 4. So that means you have a 5.5 mill dman in the 3rd pairing. Cap wise, that makes no sense what so ever. Playing him on the right side in the top 4 makes even less sense. He's no where near as effective on his offside.

- What can you trade him for?
- what about if (when?) Klef gets hurt
- what if nurse regresses

The Oilers and you bet on best case scenario all the time and more often then not they, and you, are dead wrong.

The Oilers are in no place to give up decent or better hockey players, regardless of how many they already have at a given position.

If Sekera is a one of the top 6 d-men come cap the only reason to trade him is if you get a player back that makes the team better somewhere else.

Survivor LXI Champion

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 23 October 2019 08:54

Your winner and nnnneeeeeeeewwwwwwwww champion...

PlusOne (Bos)

Re: Oilers roster moves for 19-20 season [message #737733 is a reply to message #737713 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

I guess I will have to disagree with a lot of you.

I don't deny for one second that the Oilers need to address the wings, their depth is weak. But I don't see how they improve a lot by rolling out the same dmen. The NHL has moved towards a more speed and skill game so having dmen who can skate is important. Out of the 6 guys who played the last 6 weeks, 3 of them are on the slow side - Larsson, Benning, Sekera. I think you can have 1 guy, maybe 2 tops that aren't great skaters but not 3.

Because the NHL is moving towards a more speed and skill game, dmen have to move the puck quickly up to the forwards. Gone are the days where you just bang it off the glass and hope for the best. You have to be able to make a pass. The Oilers have Russell, Benning and Larsson who don't move the puck overly well. Klefbom is OK at times. Nurse has his moments but is a better puck rusher and Sekera is OK at moving the puck. So half their defense can't make a good pass. The other 3 are OK but not great. When you have 2 elite players, one of whom is the fastest, best player in the game, I am of the opinion you need at least one guy per par that is a very good puck mover. They don't have that.

We all agree the Oilers need more scoring depth. I haven't looked up every team but I am going to guess that the Oilers have one of the lowest scoring defense in the league. Nurse I think is going to settle into a 35 pt dman. If he stays healthy, I think Klefbom will be the same. After that, I don't see any of the remaining 4 cracking 20 pts. When Sekera had 30 and 35 pts, he scores a bunch on the PP. I don't see him getting any PP time.

So I am of the opinion that while I completely agree the Oilers need more wing help, they also need to swap out 2 dmen if they are to improve. So 2 of Larsson, Sekera, Russell and Benning.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 May 2019 16:43]

Re: Oilers roster moves for 19-20 season [message #737745 is a reply to message #737733 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 16:33

I don't deny for one second that the Oilers need to address the wings, their depth is weak. But I don't see how they improve a lot by rolling out the same dmen. The NHL has moved towards a more speed and skill game so having dmen who can skate is important. Out of the 6 guys who played the last 6 weeks, 3 of them are on the slow side - Larsson, Benning, Sekera. I think you can have 1 guy, maybe 2 tops that aren't great skaters but not 3.

Because the NHL is moving towards a more speed and skill game, dmen have to move the puck quickly up to the forwards. Gone are the days where you just bang it off the glass and hope for the best. You have to be able to make a pass. The Oilers have Russell, Benning and Larsson who don't move the puck overly well. Klefbom is OK at times. Nurse has his moments but is a better puck rusher and Sekera is OK at moving the puck. So half their defense can't make a good pass. The other 3 are OK but not great. When you have 2 elite players, one of whom is the fastest, best player in the game, I am of the opinion you need at least one guy per par that is a very good puck mover. They don't have that.

We all agree the Oilers need more scoring depth. I haven't looked up every team but I am going to guess that the Oilers have one of the lowest scoring defense in the league. Nurse I think is going to settle into a 35 pt dman. If he stays healthy, I think Klefbom will be the same. After that, I don't see any of the remaining 4 cracking 20 pts. When Sekera had 30 and 35 pts, he scores a bunch on the PP. I don't see him getting any PP time.

So I am of the opinion that while I completely agree the Oilers need more wing help, they also need to swap out 2 dmen if they are to improve. So 2 of Larsson, Sekera, Russell and Benning.

Other than healthy Klefbom, Sekera is the team’s best d-man. He’s not slow, at all and can pass well. The only thing he can’t do all that well, is shoot. I don’t know where you get your ideas on him.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers roster moves for 19-20 season [message #737746 is a reply to message #737745 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 22:44

Other than healthy Klefbom, Sekera is the team’s best d-man. He’s not slow, at all and can pass well. The only thing he can’t do all that well, is shoot. I don’t know where you get your ideas on him.

Plus we can’t trade Larsson until he wins the Hart trophy

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers roster moves for 19-20 season [message #737747 is a reply to message #737745 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 21:44

Sekera also has the best defencemen instinct we have. Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson have more of the physical tools and youth, but have yet to start thinking the game as well as Seks does. He's just more efficient at defending, hopefully his wheels are healthy enough to allow him to carry that forward like he was playing pre-injuries.

Love Nurse, but so many times even last year he was rushing to make up for a poor decision about where to go or just flat out moving away from where he should be. He needs a strong D coach to get him to be more disciplined and read the situation better. It'll come with time and experience and practice though.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers roster moves for 19-20 season [message #737750 is a reply to message #737747 ]
Fri, 17 May 2019 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

I still don't think the Oilers are going to have issues on defense moving forward. At the very least, I think the defense has the potential to evolve into a strength of the Oiler brand. Sure, there are flaws in all the incumbent defensemen and who can predict how the young guys with potential will actually develop, but I think the Oilers have a good foundation to build on with the defensemen, and I don't want to see any buyouts that will squeeze the salary cap in the future. The Oilers certainly don't need any more Mannings, Petrovics, etc.

There are a few issues on the horizon, and I do think the Oilers need to play close attention to the evolution of the defensive core. For example, Darnell Nurse signed a bridge deal, and, based on his recent performance, is likely going to be pretty expensive. I do like Nurse's ability to move up and down the defensive rotation, taking on bigger minutes at least for a few games at a time. Will he be affordable in the future?

I'll support keeping Sekera for the next couple of seasons. He's a hard worker, a good example for the younger guys, and plays an intelligent game. (If Lucic only had Sekera's determination).

Klefbom is excellent when he can stay healthy. Adam Larsson is coming off what I consider an inconsistent season, but he has a lot of streghs and toughness, and has looked good for Sweden playing beside Oliver Ekman-Larrson. Any wingers in the Coyotes system the the Oilers could make a trade for Larsson??? Larsson is a stalwart for the Oilers and a RH shot, but I can see him being pushed out of the top 4 D for the Oilers in the next couple of years to make room for one of the younger guys.

Kris Russell? an enigma within a mystery. He can drive an Oiler fan crazy when he is in the lineup and when he isn't. Wouldn't buy him out, but he would be trade bait in my books.

I've defended Matt Benning in the past, so I won't do so again. He's a keeper in my books, at least for a while.

Apparently the Oilers may announce the new coach in the next few days. It will be interesting to see who ends up in charge of the Defense.

Re: Oilers roster moves for 19-20 season [message #737753 is a reply to message #737750 ]
Fri, 17 May 2019 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

In my opinion, the Oilers have 3 very similar dmen in Larsson, Russell and Benning.

Larsson is a big, hard nosed, physical, nasty, defensive dmen who's give you very little offense, who's skating is mediocre and doesn't move the puck that great.

Russell is a small, gives you what he has, defensively dmen who gives you very little offense, doesn't move the puck overly well but is a decent skater.

Benning is a medium sized, defensive dman who's not overly offensive, not that good of a skater and a mediocre at best puck mover.

The pro of Larsson is he is a is a top 4 dman. If you put him with a decent puck mover who can skate, you can have an effective pair.

Russell is a left shot that can play the right side but is best suited on the left. He can play in the top for for stints but would be best suited as a #5. Benning is a right shot who once you elevate him from the 3rd pair, he gets exposed big time.

I would pick one and get rid of the other 2 in favor of guys who can skate and move the puck.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:The Oilers Management Expose
Next Topic:Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca