This day on January 25
Acquired: Glenn Anderson (1996)

Happy Birthday To: Angelus, barnaclehead, sharks eat oilers, RomanianOiler, cinnamon, Oilers since 84, m_fish82, Bubble

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Foo Becomes a FlamerPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696714]
Tue, 27 June 2017 17:00 Go to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

This is just sad, poor kid.

http://www.tsn.ca/college-free-agent-foo-commits-to-flames-1 .790645

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi #inverno76

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696715 is a reply to message #696714 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DeZoE  is currently offline DeZoE

No Cups

I pity the Foo!!

I'm not wearing pants...

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696717 is a reply to message #696714 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

PoolParty wrote on Tue, 27 June 2017 17:00

This is just sad, poor kid.

http://www.tsn.ca/college-free-agent-foo-commits-to-flames-1 .790645

Little punk couldn't handle the pressure! A pox on his NHL career! May he bust like no player has busted before!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696721 is a reply to message #696714 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

3 Cups

Somewhere, Gene is in the corner crying, thinking about what could have been.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696723 is a reply to message #696721 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

Ah Fooey!!

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696724 is a reply to message #696714 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Screw Foo
Burke keeps targeting all the guys we go after, just to piss us off. Hamilton, Hamonic, Versteeg, now Foo.
Hope they have an injury plagued season and finish 9th in the west.

We should get Iginla and Doan signed up, put them both on the same line, that'll be one freight train full of character.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696726 is a reply to message #696724 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

That's too bad. Depth is always a good thing. With the lack of forwards on the flames, I can understand why he picked them. He can just be in the crowd watching during the future cup parade Versus being in the parade.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696733 is a reply to message #696726 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 27 June 2017 19:29

That's too bad. Depth is always a good thing. With the lack of forwards on the flames, I can understand why he picked them. He can just be in the crowd watching during the future cup parade Versus being in the parade.

Yeah he can stand along Jasper Ave and wave with the rest of them!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696738 is a reply to message #696733 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Kind of a punk move to sign with your most hated rival because your scared of a little competition. #Fool

Let's go Brandon!! #FJB

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696744 is a reply to message #696738 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 27 June 2017 23:22

Kind of a punk move to sign with your most hated rival because your scared of a little competition. #Fool

Or maybe he saw how fans of this team turn on high profile players and run them out of town?

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696749 is a reply to message #696744 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't blame Foo for picking the Flames. The Flames have Gaudreau on left wing, Tkachuk on left wing and who else? Frolik is a decent 2nd/3rd line RW, Brouwer is a good 3rd line RW. I am sure he will come out and say he has to "make the team". I am sure the coach and GM will say he has to "earn" a spot. Whatever. He's already written in pen on their roster.

Look at the Oilers. They have Maroon, Lucic, Caggiula, Pouliot on the left wing. He might be better than Pouliot to start but that's it. They got Strome, Kassian, Slep at right wing. Is he better than any of them? I don't know. To start the season at least, because he has ZERO NHL experience probably not. There is a big difference between college and the NHL. Then there is JP. He probably starts in the minors but he's coming. So if he wants a 100% guarantee to be in the NHL, it probably wasn't on the Oilers.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696762 is a reply to message #696749 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

Again I have to agree with you RD. looking at the Oilers, sure the future is bright but as someone who has yet to earn any NHL experience, it could look like a huge task to make the team. If you are not overly confident that you are better than the players mentioned and you sign with Edm, you might be locking yourself in to a life in the minors, or go to Calgary and make NHL money.

Beside the fact that he is a home town boy, the pressure of everyone you know and grew up with criticizing your every move, nope I don't think I would want to come to the Oilers either.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696763 is a reply to message #696762 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

sloiler wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 08:45

Again I have to agree with you RD. looking at the Oilers, sure the future is bright but as someone who has yet to earn any NHL experience, it could look like a huge task to make the team. If you are not overly confident that you are better than the players mentioned and you sign with Edm, you might be locking yourself in to a life in the minors, or go to Calgary and make NHL money.

Beside the fact that he is a home town boy, the pressure of everyone you know and grew up with criticizing your every move, nope I don't think I would want to come to the Oilers either.

It's not a lot different than Curtis Glencross. Players will go where there's the best opportunity to make the team. If there's a couple close (and there's reason to think there's room on the right wing in Edmonton), then it probably comes down to the presentation from the teams wooing you and what sounds like a better fit.

For these college kids, it's about as pure as it can get. The contracts are all the same, have pretty much the same T&Cs in each. Bonuses aren't going to be a lot different - and you can probably leverage more if the team you want most is light in that department. With all else being equal, it's about fit.

I do think the Flames must have done a very good job with their pitch, because if he grew up an Oilers fan in Edmonton, then to pick Calgary would have gone against his first instincts.

I do think it's somewhat disheartening to hear from our poster with inside knowledge that the Oilers presentation was lacking. I imagine it was just an old DVD presentation with the name 'Dany Heatley' scratched out on the front...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696766 is a reply to message #696763 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 08:54

I do think the Flames must have done a very good job with their pitch, because if he grew up an Oilers fan in Edmonton, then to pick Calgary would have gone against his first instincts.

Meh. As a born and bred Edmontonian, the idea of some Calgary/Edmonton sports rivalry (that has been pretty much dead the last decade) influencing my playing is pretty weak. He went there because he'd get the most playing time. I'd pick Calgary over Edmonton if I were him too. It's also very close to family etc. The location is just splitting hairs while the opportunity is much greater.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696768 is a reply to message #696766 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 09:02

Meh. As a born and bred Edmontonian, the idea of some Calgary/Edmonton sports rivalry (that has been pretty much dead the last decade) influencing my playing is pretty weak. He went there because he'd get the most playing time. I'd pick Calgary over Edmonton if I were him too. It's also very close to family etc. The location is just splitting hairs while the opportunity is much greater.

Maybe it's because I lived through the 80s rivalry, but even the mixture of red and yellow as a colour palate is distasteful to me. I can't imagine cheering for the Flames, never mind wearing their jersey night after night.

When my first daughter was born, I cautioned some of my wife's relatives from Calgary that if we got any Flames gear, I would literally burn it in the firepit in my backyard.

I guess the rivalry isn't what it used to be, but still...it's the Flames!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696820 is a reply to message #696768 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 09:06

JPro wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 09:02

Maybe it's because I lived through the 80s rivalry, but even the mixture of red and yellow as a colour palate is distasteful to me. I can't imagine cheering for the Flames, never mind wearing their jersey night after night.

When my first daughter was born, I cautioned some of my wife's relatives from Calgary that if we got any Flames gear, I would literally burn it in the firepit in my backyard.

I guess the rivalry isn't what it used to be, but still...it's the Flames!

I was born in 83 so I guess I don't have as strong of a distaste for them. But like you, I also married the enemy. They mostly moved to Okotoks so I tell myself it's ok.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696771 is a reply to message #696763 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

sloiler wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 08:45

It's not a lot different than Curtis Glencross. Players will go where there's the best opportunity to make the team. If there's a couple close (and there's reason to think there's room on the right wing in Edmonton), then it probably comes down to the presentation from the teams wooing you and what sounds like a better fit.

For these college kids, it's about as pure as it can get. The contracts are all the same, have pretty much the same T&Cs in each. Bonuses aren't going to be a lot different - and you can probably leverage more if the team you want most is light in that department. With all else being equal, it's about fit.

I do think it's somewhat disheartening to hear from our poster with inside knowledge that the Oilers presentation was lacking. I imagine it was just an old DVD presentation with the name 'Dany Heatley' scratched out on the front...

I would counter your comment about the Oilers presentation as being "lacking" with what exactly do you think they should do? He was born and raised in Edmonton. Do they need to go over what the City of Edmonton offers? I doubt it. I would venture a guess that Foo has been to Caglary probably a reasonable amount but wouldn't "know" the City. So I am sure they had to sell him on Calgary as a City to live in. Do the Oilers have to tell Foo about the building? I doubt it. He's from Edmonton. The Oilers supposedly had him as a guest to at least one a playoff game (no I didn't save the tweet from when it was reported months ago). So as an official guest, they probably took him on a tour. He probably got to meet Gretzky, maybe even a few of the current Oilers. He's from Edmonton, he knows what the fans are like. He went to a playoff game so he knows what the City is like in the playoffs.

So what else is there? You said it yourself. The contracts will be the same. He knows the roster. It would all come down to opportunity and what the team promised him. I am sure the Flames probably promised him a roster spot and maybe even a spot in the top 6. The Flames have Gaudreau, Monahan, then who as absolute locks in the top 6? Probably Tkachuk. Then who? Versteeq came to the Oilers on a PTO, completed the entire camp with the Oilers, then at the last minute signed with the Flames and literally walked on to their top line without a practice. He didn't play there the whole year but he started. The Flames had Ferland on their top line who's probably suited as a 3rd liner. So the Flames can basically guarantee him a top 6 spot without a single practice. The Oilers can't offer him that.

The more I think about it. It's kind of nice that the Oilers are getting to a point where they can no longer immediately promise an unproven kid a guaranteed high spot in their roster like they did a few years ago to a unproven Schultz. Would I have liked Foo signing here? Of course. He's got a chance to be a decent player plus he is a right shot. So the more decent players you can have in your organization, the better. But at the same time I like the fact that these college guys can't hold the Oilers hostage anymore to get them to promise the moon like Schultz did. If you look at all these super hyped college free agents, yes there are some that are good player but not many of them blow the doors off like all the hype says they will.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 June 2017 09:26]

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696772 is a reply to message #696771 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 09:19

I would counter your comment about the Oilers presentation as being "lacking" with what exactly do you think they should do? He was born and raised in Edmonton. Do they need to go over what the City of Edmonton offers? I doubt it. I would venture a guess that Foo has been to Caglary probably a reasonable amount but wouldn't "know" the City. So I am sure they had to sell him on Calgary as a City to live in. Do the Oilers have to tell Foo about the building? I doubt it. He's from Edmonton. The Oilers supposedly had him as a guest to at least one a playoff game (no I didn't save the tweet from when it was reported months ago). So as an official guest, they probably took him on a tour. He probably got to meet Gretzky, maybe even a few of the current Oilers. He's from Edmonton, he knows what the fans are like. He went to a playoff game so he knows what the City is like in the playoffs.

The more I think about it. It's kind of nice that the Oilers are getting to a point where they can no longer immediately promise an unproven kid a guaranteed high spot in their roster like they did a few years ago to a unproven Schultz.

Neither of us know what was in the package, or what was promised to him.

We've heard from someone with some insider information that the Oilers presentation was the worst of the last bunch. Maybe we don't care if we land this kid or not, but if they're going to try, you'd like to think they'd put their best foot forward.

If they did put their best foot forward and our package paled next to others, that's important information. It should stack up well against other teams because we're going to be competing for a lot of these players over the next few years. If they didn't put their best foot forward, then what's the point? You don't know where someone's career is going to lead, so why not dazzle them a little, even if it doesn't end up in a contract now.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696774 is a reply to message #696772 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 09:26

The more I think about it. It's kind of nice that the Oilers are getting to a point where they can no longer immediately promise an unproven kid a guaranteed high spot in their roster like they did a few years ago to a unproven Schultz.

We've heard from someone with some insider information that the Oilers presentation was the worst of the last bunch. Maybe we don't care if we land this kid or not, but if they're going to try, you'd like to think they'd put their best foot forward.

If they did put their best foot forward and our package paled next to others, that's important information. It should stack up well against other teams because we're going to be competing for a lot of these players over the next few years. If they didn't put their best foot forward, then what's the point? You don't know where someone's career is going to lead, so why not dazzle them a little, even if it doesn't end up in a contract now.

Well I have to think they are capable of producing a good package. Caggiula was fairly highly touted and they landed him. Here is an article written by Gregor that shows the numbers of Foo and Caggiula over the last 2 seasons of college. https://oilersnation.com/2017/06/27/are-ncaa-free-agents-ove rvalued-by-nhl-teams/
Caggiula has way better numbers than Foo. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that makes Caggiula will be better than Foo but maybe the Oilers weren't as high on him as other teams.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696777 is a reply to message #696774 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 09:31

Well I have to think they are capable of producing a good package.

I hope they are capable of it. But it's an area that constantly needs improvement, because no one else is standing still.

Audio-visual hasn't been a real strong suit for the Oilers for many, many years. When they first connected with Aquila Productions, that company was cutting edge, but the Oilers basically married themselves to the company and Aquila hasn't stayed on top of trends. The video productions in the rink started to all look pretty similar after a while.

Does anyone doubt that the Oilers might have dated, tired material? Or that it might all just be centered around Connor McDavid, completely tone-deaf to the point that guys coming in would want to know it's all about the team rather than the superstar? Or that it focuses too much on the old stars of the team and how you can hang out with Messier and Gretzky? I wish I could have more faith that that wasn't the case.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696781 is a reply to message #696777 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 09:42

I hope they are capable of it. But it's an area that constantly needs improvement, because no one else is standing still.

Audio-visual hasn't been a real strong suit for the Oilers for many, many years. When they first connected with Aquila Productions, that company was cutting edge, but the Oilers basically married themselves to the company and Aquila hasn't stayed on top of trends. The video productions in the rink started to all look pretty similar after a while.

Does anyone doubt that the Oilers might have dated, tired material? Or that it might all just be centered around Connor McDavid, completely tone-deaf to the point that guys coming in would want to know it's all about the team rather than the superstar? Or that it focuses too much on the old stars of the team and how you can hang out with Messier and Gretzky? I wish I could have more faith that that wasn't the case.

Trust me, we all know how apparently incompetent the Oilers management, coaches and who ever else there is to point too that works for the Oilers. You have let us know that many times.

I am sure you are bang on like usual with the Oilers video or whatever they showed Foo. I am sure it was just a bunch of clips from the 80's and the Old boys lifting up cups. Then they would mix in the odd clip of a McDavid highlight to make it "current". I am sure when Foo asked about the Oilers, the answer was always, "We have McDavid."
"Coach McLellan, where do you see me fitting in your line up." "I don't know, don't really care either. Don't you know I have McDavid. I just put him on the ice and it all works out."
"Coach McLellan, what is your coach philosophy when it comes to players with my skill set. " Coaching philosophy? I'll have to talk to Connor and see what he wants to do. Spencer, watch this McDavid goal, isn't that amazing?"
"Mr. Chiarelli, where do you see me fitting into this team in helping to improve the chances of winning a cup. "Huh? Did I mention we have McDavid. Hey Todd, pull out the ipad again, show him the McDavid clips."

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696782 is a reply to message #696781 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 10:10

Trust me, we all know how apparently incompetent the Oilers management, coaches and who ever else there is to point too that works for the Oilers. You have let us know that many times.

I am sure you are bang on like usual with the Oilers video or whatever they showed Foo. I am sure it was just a bunch of clips from the 80's and the Old boys lifting up cups. Then they would mix in the odd clip of a McDavid highlight to make it "current". I am sure when Foo asked about the Oilers, the answer was always, "We have McDavid."
"Coach McLellan, where do you see me fitting in your line up." "I don't know, don't really care either. Don't you know I have McDavid. I just put him on the ice and it all works out."
"Coach McLellan, what is your coach philosophy when it comes to players with my skill set. " Coaching philosophy? I'll have to talk to Connor and see what he wants to do. Spencer, watch this McDavid goal, isn't that amazing?"
"Mr. Chiarelli, where do you see me fitting into this team in helping to improve the chances of winning a cup. "Huh? Did I mention we have McDavid. Hey Todd, pull out the ipad again, show him the McDavid clips."

Yep, sounds about right!

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696783 is a reply to message #696782 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 10:13

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 10:10

Yep, sounds about right!

If the off season moves are any indication, that would be exactly the video.

Frankly, I think management has been directed to let McDavid and Co simmer. Don't want to win that cup too soon, because that's the climax and interest wains after a cup is won. I think selling hope is more effective than selling victory. Don't believe me? Ask the ticket sales of Stanley Cup contenders, and then tell it to the endless sell outs that the Oilers had during the hope selling years.

You want that Cup to come right on time. Also, Bob is always saying that the Oilers' aren't ready... but management seems to be making sure of that.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696785 is a reply to message #696783 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 09:32

Frankly, I think management has been directed to let McDavid and Co simmer. Don't want to win that cup too soon, because that's the climax and interest wains after a cup is won. I think selling hope is more effective than selling victory. Don't believe me? Ask the ticket sales of Stanley Cup contenders, and then tell it to the endless sell outs that the Oilers had during the hope selling years.

You want that Cup to come right on time. Also, Bob is always saying that the Oilers' aren't ready... but management seems to be making sure of that.

Ha, that's an interesting conspiracy theory. Where is CrusaderPi to weigh in on it's plausibility?

I do think that you make a good point about selling hope. Let's be serious, if there's one thing the Oilers have been good at (and there probably only is one), it is that. Makes sense to go with what you know.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696794 is a reply to message #696785 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 10:42

Ha, that's an interesting conspiracy theory. Where is CrusaderPi to weigh in on it's plausibility?

I do think that you make a good point about selling hope. Let's be serious, if there's one thing the Oilers have been good at (and there probably only is one), it is that. Makes sense to go with what you know.

Wait, what? How did I become this board's conspiracy guy? *checks post history* Oh. Yeah, that's why.

I think that's giving the Oilers far too much credit. It's far more likely they're just really bad at running a hockey team and were gifted a McDavid (and Hall) than to believe they actually had a plan that saw them lose for 10 years and be gifted a McDavid (and Hall).

This is fine.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696824 is a reply to message #696785 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

This is a CrusaderPi Level 1 quality conspiracy. Or as I call it, a CP1. I'm 100% sold. Just like I'm sold on hope for the future!

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696825 is a reply to message #696824 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 13:31

This is a CrusaderPi Level 1 quality conspiracy. Or as I call it, a CP1. I'm 100% sold. Just like I'm sold on hope for the future!

I'm so on board with a consensus ranking of Oilfan conspiracies.

This is fine.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696784 is a reply to message #696781 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 09:10

I say this without an ounce of sarcasm, this is easily my favourite post of yours ever. I actually lol'd at the bolded part.

And I tend to agree with you that I think playing time and opportunity probably played more into the decision than any sort of "presentation" they put together, although I'm skeptical that even the Flames guaranteed Foo a spot in their top 6. As you mentioned, Caggiula had better numbers at the same age, and he was definitely not ready for a top 6 role this year.

On the other hand, I also don't doubt for a second that the Oilers presentation was the worst of the group.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696789 is a reply to message #696784 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 10:39

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 09:10

I say this without an ounce of sarcasm, this is easily my favourite post of yours ever. I actually lol'd at the bolded part.

And I tend to agree with you that I think playing time and opportunity probably played more into the decision than any sort of "presentation" they put together, although I'm skeptical that even the Flames guaranteed Foo a spot in their top 6. As you mentioned, Caggiula had better numbers at the same age, and he was definitely not ready for a top 6 role this year.

On the other hand, I also don't doubt for a second that the Oilers presentation was the worst of the group.

The Oilers presentation could very well have been the worst. But I would counter that by saying they probably weren't desperate to get him. Go down the list of forwards Vegas has. They can probably put together a decent 3rd and 4th line but good luck with a incing a reasonable first or second line.
Detroit isn't much better. Larkin is a good player but after that, 37 yr old Zetterberg is probably still their best player.
The Flames. Other than Gaudreau and Monahan, there isn't a single forward I would for sure put in the Oilers top 6. Tkachuk might be in the ball park but he's probably not ready yet. That is all I would consider. But from the Oilers. McDavid, Leon, Maroon and Lucic are automatically in the Flames top 6. I think you can make a case that Strome might be in the Flames top 6, especially on the right side. I would take Strome over Brouwer. Is Frolik better than Strome? Maybe slightly but I am not so sure and he's also 6 yrs older. Backlund is there 2nd line center I think. Is he better than Nuge? I'm not sure, I have my doubts he is. Right now it isn't a lock Nuge is in the Oilers top 6 this coming season. If Nuge isn't a lock to be a top 6, I doubt Backlund is.

I am not trying to let the Oilers off the hook is their presentation wasn't great but at the same time, the presentations better be spectacular for the other 3 teams. They need the help a hell of a lot more than the Oilers do at forward.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696830 is a reply to message #696774 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 09:26

Well I have to think they are capable of producing a good package. Caggiula was fairly highly touted and they landed him. Here is an article written by Gregor that shows the numbers of Foo and Caggiula over the last 2 seasons of college. https://oilersnation.com/2017/06/27/are-ncaa-free-agents-ove rvalued-by-nhl-teams/
Caggiula has way better numbers than Foo. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that makes Caggiula will be better than Foo but maybe the Oilers weren't as high on him as other teams.

I was looking when I first posted on here when he was going to sign/with who but I heard on the weekend, I might not have posted till monday. Like I said from what was said was the presentation done by the Oilers was the worst out of all the teams presenting to him. I don't know what was in it but I really hope it wasn't just a picture of Connor.

I didn't hear anything about what was promised by teams or anything just that knew where he was going to sign/when and that we did a bad job selling ourselves. Maybe the depth chart was the factor but that doesn't change the presentation given.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696786 is a reply to message #696749 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 08:15

I don't blame Foo for picking the Flames. The Flames have Gaudreau on left wing, Tkachuk on left wing and who else? Frolik is a decent 2nd/3rd line RW, Brouwer is a good 3rd line RW. I am sure he will come out and say he has to "make the team". I am sure the coach and GM will say he has to "earn" a spot. Whatever. He's already written in pen on their roster.

Look at the Oilers. They have Maroon, Lucic, Caggiula, Pouliot on the left wing. He might be better than Pouliot to start but that's it. They got Strome, Kassian, Slep at right wing. Is he better than any of them? I don't know. To start the season at least, because he has ZERO NHL experience probably not. There is a big difference between college and the NHL. Then there is JP. He probably starts in the minors but he's coming. So if he wants a 100% guarantee to be in the NHL, it probably wasn't on the Oilers.

Drafting Yamamoto probably put the nail in the coffin for getting Foo. He has to jump a lot of guys now to get a RW spot long term (Strome, JP, Kassian, Slep, Yamamoto).

On the flames, he could very well hold a top 6 RW spot all year with 20-30 point production by end of year. Their RW depth is awful. Easy bonus money for ice time at least.

As much as I curse his career and hope he is in the ECHL in a couple years, I do recognize this was the right move for his potential career in the NHL.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 June 2017 10:49]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696790 is a reply to message #696786 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 10:46

Drafting Yamamoto probably put the nail in the coffin for getting Foo. He has to jump a lot of guys now to get a RW spot long term (Strome, JP, Kassian, Slep, Yamamoto).

On the flames, he could very well hold a top 6 RW spot all year with 20-30 point production by end of year. Their RW depth is awful. Easy bonus money for ice time at least.

As much as I curse his career and hope he is in the ECHL in a couple years, I do recognize this was the right move for his potential career in the NHL.

I agree. Unless he gets hurt, I think he's an absolute lock to make the Flames even if he doesn't have a great camp. Given who they have on their roster right now, I don't see who he doesn't beat out just on hype alone. It wouldn't shock me if they already have him penciled in on the Gaudreau line.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696792 is a reply to message #696790 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 11:04

I agree. Unless he gets hurt, I think he's an absolute lock to make the Flames even if he doesn't have a great camp. Given who they have on their roster right now, I don't see who he doesn't beat out just on hype alone. It wouldn't shock me if they already have him penciled in on the Gaudreau line.

Flames may have promised him being on the NHL roster as well. Not sure the Oilers were in a position to do that.

Flames seem to be heavily involved these days in anything the Oilers are rumored to be involved in. Wonder if Burke is operating in maximum spite mode.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696795 is a reply to message #696792 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 11:07

Flames may have promised him being on the NHL roster as well. Not sure the Oilers were in a position to do that.

Flames seem to be heavily involved these days in anything the Oilers are rumored to be involved in. Wonder if Burke is operating in maximum spite mode.

He definitely does not seem to be a fan of the organization. It's interesting hearing from people in Calgary at events that he speaks at. Invariably, the Oilers come up and he talks about how bad they were for how long and about how some of the first overall picks haven't turned out (implying that either it was poor player selection or poor player management).

It does make a lot of sense for them to be in on the same things as us. Anywhere they beat us out both improves their team AND keeps a rival team from improving. With the renewed focus on divisions, they will be competing with us for playoff spots, and for home ice advantage. Every game against them is more important now than it has been in years. Besides, Lowe and MacT publicly made fun of Burke after poaching Dustin Penner!

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696798 is a reply to message #696795 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 11:12

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 11:07

He definitely does not seem to be a fan of the organization. It's interesting hearing from people in Calgary at events that he speaks at. Invariably, the Oilers come up and he talks about how bad they were for how long and about how some of the first overall picks haven't turned out (implying that either it was poor player selection or poor player management).

It does make a lot of sense for them to be in on the same things as us. Anywhere they beat us out both improves their team AND keeps a rival team from improving. With the renewed focus on divisions, they will be competing with us for playoff spots, and for home ice advantage. Every game against them is more important now than it has been in years. Besides, Lowe and MacT publicly made fun of Burke after poaching Dustin Penner!

That's why I wonder if the Flames are going to screw themselves over real quick. The Oilers wanted Hamilton but Boston didn't want to trade him to Chia out of spite. So the Flames swoop in, pay a heavy price and get him. They gave up a 1st and 2 seconds. That's a lot of futures who in a season from now should be close to making your club. What Boston did with them doesn't matter because we don't know who the Flames would have picked. Then they go and get Hamonic. Paid the same price. A heavy price again and sacrificed the future.

Now Hamilton and Hamonic are good players but they better win real quick because in a cap world, you have to have a steady stream of young guys coming up to replace more expensive guys. The just sold off 2 drafts to win now. The combined contracts of Gaudreau and Monahan are 13.125. So basically what McDavid will make. Quite frankly, if the Flames offered those 2 for McDavid right now, I wouldn't take that deal. Not a chance because I believe there could be seasons where McDavid might be close to outscoring those 2 combined. I AM NOT SAYING its a guarantee. McDavid had 100 pts by himself. Those 2 combined had 119. How many sure goals did McDavid pass up to try to set up someone else and have them not convert.

I know there are some that wish the Oilers paid to get Hamonic. Well I would have to believe the Oilers knew roughly where McDavid will come in at. They probably have a ball park number of where Leon will come in at. So realistically, they probably knew the combine Leon/McDavid contracts was at least 20 mill. So they can't afford to be shipping off draft picks like that because they need to have a steady stream of young players coming in to take over when players get expensive.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696796 is a reply to message #696786 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

If you're concerned you can't make the leap over those 5 guys... do we really want you? I mean, I like the idea of those guys but we know what Strome and Kassian are (useful, but not extraordinary) and JP, Slep, and Yamamoto might have some potential, but that's not exactly a murderer's row of production to content with.

This is fine.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696799 is a reply to message #696796 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 11:13

If you're concerned you can't make the leap over those 5 guys... do we really want you? I mean, I like the idea of those guys but we know what Strome and Kassian are (useful, but not extraordinary) and JP, Slep, and Yamamoto might have some potential, but that's not exactly a murderer's row of production to content with.

He is 23 already. A month older than Caggiula, and he just had his first good college season.

Never know how players will develop, but couldn't blame him for not being sure at this point he can hold an NHL spot and beat out guys that were taken in the 1st round in NHL drafts.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696848 is a reply to message #696786 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burgeoboy  is currently offline Burgeoboy

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 14:16

Please don't being using common sense on the Internet !!!

Cearly this is all Chia fault and 90 percent of oil fans posters would have gotten that kid to sign here.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696852 is a reply to message #696848 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Burgeoboy wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 15:22

Cearly this is all Chia fault and 90 percent of oil fans posters would have gotten that kid to sign here.

That's an odd read on this thread. I believe most people agreed that depth chart was probably the number one reason he'd pick Calgary (although winning is clearly important too, since there's probably even more opportunity on the wreck that is the Knights' roster).

I don't get the sense reading this that anyone is too broken up about Spencer Foo not signing here or that missing out on him is Chiarelli's greatest sin.

Re: Foo Becomes a Flamer [message #696854 is a reply to message #696852 ]
Wed, 28 June 2017 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 15:47

Burgeoboy wrote on Wed, 28 June 2017 15:22

That's an odd read on this thread. I believe most people agreed that depth chart was probably the number one reason he'd pick Calgary (although winning is clearly important too, since there's probably even more opportunity on the wreck that is the Knights' roster).

I don't get the sense reading this that anyone is too broken up about Spencer Foo not signing here or that missing out on him is Chiarelli's greatest sin.

Well for the record you did say you feel that Chia and the Oilers management did a lousy job of selling the team to him and went on about it in 3 different posts about how disappointing it is, how its an area to improve. Page 1, 13th post, 18th, post, 20th post I believe.

Whether the Oilers presentation was good or not. If I am Foo, even if the Oilers had the best presentation, I would choose the Flames over the Oilers. You get to be in your home province, so you are close to home. You get to be on a good team. You won't have the pressure of being the home town kid AND like I said, based on the depth chart, it's almost a given he has an automatic spot in the Flames top 6.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 June 2017 15:59]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Islanders resign Eberle for 5 years @ 5.5 cap hit
Next Topic:Anders Nilsson signs w/ Sens
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca