This day on September 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Kumquat, oilaz, CarOil, Oilcraze67, CowboyHockey4, Treads78, RDOilerfan, grace_acebedo

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677268]
Sat, 24 September 2016 17:49 Go to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Trouba isn't reporting to Jets camp. He's demanded a trade to another team as the Jets are stacked at RD.

Fire up the "... to the Oilers" talk.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jacob-troubas-agent-says- client-requested-trade/

Asked if there was any particular team he wished to play for, Trouba answered: “A place where I have the ability to reach my potential as a right shot D. There’s plenty of need for that in this league. I’ve played on the right side for 18 years. As a 22-year-old, I don’t have the opportunity to do it in Winnipeg.”

[Updated on: Sat, 24 September 2016 17:51]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Send a private message to this user  

PlRe: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677269 is a reply to message #677268 ]
Sat, 24 September 2016 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Please please please please.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677270 is a reply to message #677268 ]
Sat, 24 September 2016 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Nurse probably has to go in any deal. Or can we somehow sell high on Davidson? :)

I would be OK with either. Trouba would be worth locking in the 8 skater option for the expansion draft.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677271 is a reply to message #677270 ]
Sat, 24 September 2016 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

I would definitely be ok with some kind of comparable lefty for Trouba swap, even if it's Nurse.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677272 is a reply to message #677271 ]
Sat, 24 September 2016 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Sat, 24 September 2016 18:31

I would definitely be ok with some kind of comparable lefty for Trouba swap, even if it's Nurse.

Be better if they could go Gaga on how Reinhart looks this camp and use him as the centrepiece of a deal for Trouba.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677274 is a reply to message #677272 ]
Sat, 24 September 2016 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Stupid expansion draft...

But:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Trouba

Would be one helluva Top 4

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677279 is a reply to message #677270 ]
Sat, 24 September 2016 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 24 September 2016 17:10

Nurse probably has to go in any deal. Or can we somehow sell high on Davidson? :)

I would be OK with either. Trouba would be worth locking in the 8 skater option for the expansion draft.

Maybe I'm a bit over valuing Nurse (or undervaluing Trouba), but I'm not giving him up. He's got so many high level (albiet raw) attributes we've coveted for so long, I keep him unless we're talking a legit top pair Dman for several years.

Plus, Nurse is expansion draft exempt.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2016 00:37]

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677280 is a reply to message #677279 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 24 September 2016 22:52

Maybe I'm a bit over valuing Nurse (or undervaluing Trouba), but I'm not giving him up. He's got so many high level (albiet raw) attributes we've coveted for so long, I keep him unless we're talking a legit top pair Dman for several years.

Trouba has everyone of those attributes as well and shoots right. Don't gently squeeze the trigger. Yank a deal if there is one. A proven commodity with upside is better than a likely with upside.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677282 is a reply to message #677279 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 24 September 2016 21:52

I'm with you man, Nurse is a keeper, if anyone saw how much he dominated in junior, you'd have the same opinion, he's got it all. He just has to adjust to the NHL and he'll be freaking gold for years.
You trade Nurse and it will be one you regret for a decades.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677283 is a reply to message #677279 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

PC is full of surprises. I sure hope this isn't going to turn into another one.

Imagine in coming years playing against the Jets and Nurse is this beast punishing our forwards and having his best NHL nights against our dear Oilers? Shoot me.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2016 08:42]

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677284 is a reply to message #677283 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 08:37

Imagine in coming years playing against the Jets and Nurse is this beast punishing our forwards and having his best NHL nights against our dear Oilers? Shoot me.

I love Nurse's personality and I totally get why everyone is very optimistic of what he will become. But, personally, I see him topping out as a 2/3 shut down ~20-30 point guy. I see Trouba topping out as a top pairing 2-way D that plays with an edge. The nice thing about a Nurse for Trouba swap would be that Trouba plays with that edge that we love in Nurse, so you're not losing that passion and swagger in the lineup. Long term it's a downgrade in leadership probably, but a decent upgrade in productivity on the ice, not even considering how badly we need good RHD.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2016 09:29]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677289 is a reply to message #677284 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 09:13

I love Nurse's personality and I totally get why everyone is very optimistic of what he will become. But, personally, I see him topping out as a 2/3 shut down ~20-30 point guy. I see Trouba topping out as a top pairing 2-way D that plays with an edge. The nice thing about a Nurse for Trouba swap would be that Trouba plays with that edge that we love in Nurse, so you're not losing that passion and swagger in the lineup. Long term it's a downgrade in leadership probably, but a decent upgrade in productivity on the ice, not even considering how badly we need good RHD.

I could be overvaluing Nurse in my Oiler bias. It's hard not to.

I guess when you are talking RHD in our current situation, you should have your listening hats on.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677293 is a reply to message #677289 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RankinSpankin  is currently offline RankinSpankin

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 10:42

I guess when you are talking RHD in our current situation, you should have your listening hats on.

I don't think Chia moves Nurse, he would have to move a player they would have to protect in the expansion draft.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677294 is a reply to message #677293 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RankinSpankin wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 12:03

I don't think Chia moves Nurse, he would have to move a player they would have to protect in the expansion draft.

Nurse is about as much of a Chia/Bruins type player you can get on our roster. I can't see him trading Nurse either. *knock on wood*

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677295 is a reply to message #677294 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 13:53

Nurse is about as much of a Chia/Bruins type player you can get on our roster. I can't see him trading Nurse either. *knock on wood*

Trouba is basically the same type of player but is further developed than Nurse, plus is a RHD.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677303 is a reply to message #677295 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 13:57

Trouba is basically the same type of player but is further developed than Nurse, plus is a RHD.

I have seen Trouba a number of times live in Winnipeg and I agree that he is similar to Nurse. That said I think the tie breaker comes down to the fact that Trouba has to be protected in the expansion draft (as mentioned)
This cant be overlooked as it will hold a lot of value in trade talks as a plus for Nurse and negative for Trouba.
You combine that with his contract demands (whatever that may be exactly) and I would not trade Nurse for him.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677306 is a reply to message #677303 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 17:50

I have seen Trouba a number of times live in Winnipeg and I agree that he is similar to Nurse. That said I think the tie breaker comes down to the fact that Trouba has to be protected in the expansion draft (as mentioned)
This cant be overlooked as it will hold a lot of value in trade talks as a plus for Nurse and negative for Trouba.
You combine that with his contract demands (whatever that may be exactly) and I would not trade Nurse for him.

Nurse has done sweet FA compared with Trouba.

He's out scored Nurse in his 21 and 22 year-old seasons.

Nurse it getting close to becoming, a moderate success in the league, while Trouba is quite good already.

They are just barely in the same ball park. More upside to Nurse, but I've been an Oilers fan long enough to be sick enough of upside, to prefer something awesome now, over something really really awesome later. See Hall, Taylor.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677311 is a reply to message #677306 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 19:05

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 17:50

Nurse has done sweet FA compared with Trouba.

He's out scored Nurse in his 21 and 22 year-old seasons.

Nurse it getting close to becoming, a moderate success in the league, while Trouba is quite good already.

They are just barely in the same ball park. More upside to Nurse, but I've been an Oilers fan long enough to be sick enough of upside, to prefer something awesome now, over something really really awesome later. See Hall, Taylor.

Totally fair point. I am actually not one that thinks Nurse is anything more than a chance at a good player right now.
When I said Trouba is similar to Nurse I likely should have explained. He is already what I hope Nurse to be in a year or two.
My main concern with a straight up trade is the cap hit and looming expansion draft. IMO, that is Chia's view as well or the trade would have been done already.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677312 is a reply to message #677311 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 21:51

Totally fair point. I am actually not one that thinks Nurse is anything more than a chance at a good player right now.
When I said Trouba is similar to Nurse I likely should have explained. He is already what I hope Nurse to be in a year or two.
My main concern with a straight up trade is the cap hit and looming expansion draft. IMO, that is Chia's view as well or the trade would have been done already.

Those two reasons combined with the kind of player Nurse is (albiet very raw) would mean I keep Nurse.

If Chia protects 4F and 4D...

A - trading Nurse for Trouba means:
protect: Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson, Trouba
exposed: Davidson
result: 4 D are safe, 1 D exposed

B - trade (something) plus Davidson (shoots leftie) for Trouba:
safe: Nurse
result: 5 D are safe ++

C - stand pat:
protect: Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson, Davidson
result: 5 D are safe

++ : Trouba >>> Davidson

B would be moving a somewhat valuable fwd like Ebs (eek), Yak, Pou, Maroon. Davidson (like Nurse) is a leftie which might be attractive to WPG.

I'd rather stand pat than lose Nurse and potentially Davidson, for Trouba, who also comes with a steeper cap hit.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2016 23:19]

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677316 is a reply to message #677312 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 23:18

Those two reasons combined with the kind of player Nurse is (albiet very raw) would mean I keep Nurse.

C - stand pat:

B would be moving a somewhat valuable fwd like Ebs (eek), Yak, Pou, Maroon. Davidson (like Nurse) is a leftie which might be attractive to WPG.

I'd rather stand pat than lose Nurse and potentially Davidson, for Trouba, who also comes with a steeper cap hit.

Both you guys make fair points... do we really think we need to protect Sekera?

He's good, but over paid.

If Davidson keeps on being good, he will replace Sekera.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2016 08:00]

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677317 is a reply to message #677316 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Skerera has a NMC. So yeah, he has to be protected.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677318 is a reply to message #677316 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 07:41

nullterm wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 23:18

C - stand pat:

Both you guys make fair points... do we really think we need to protect Sekera?

He's good, but over paid.

We do, because of his NMC. No choice.

I really don't mind having to expose Davidson if we get Trouba. Klef/Larsson/Sekera/Trouba is a legit NHL top 4 D group and playoffs could be very possible this season if we have that. And 3/4 of those guys are only going to get better for years still.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2016 07:51]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677321 is a reply to message #677318 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Klef - Oscar
Sekera - Trouba
10 Min a Game - 10 Min a Game

Really, if Davidson is a second or first pairing d-man, there's no room for him. So you'd end up trading him anyway. If you lose him to expansion, then you simply lose the return, but I'd imagine that there would be a team in the league in need of a top 4 defender that would have the capacity to protect him.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677285 is a reply to message #677268 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Article on Trouba's performance over the years, giving some perspective on how his career is being hampered by his situation in Winnipeg, being kept down the RHD depth chart:

http://jetsnation.ca/2016/6/6/don-t-let-point-totals-fool-yo u-trouba-has-been-getting-better-and-better

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677305 is a reply to message #677285 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

If Chiarelli wanted Trouba & was willing to give up Nurse to do it, then it would have been done by now. The agent said they asked for this trade in May, not just a couple of days ago. They came public with the trade request to see if they can put pressure on the GM to get a deal done ASAP. Nurse isn't moving for Trouba IMO.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677322 is a reply to message #677305 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Trouba is the better player, we want to win now not hope they turn out to be as good as Trouba is now or better. Going forward at this moment Trouba is the better player then Nurse by a lot.
We can't keep losing and hope top end talent wants to stay here.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677328 is a reply to message #677322 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 08:23

Trouba is the better player, we want to win now not hope they turn out to be as good as Trouba is now or better. Going forward at this moment Trouba is the better player then Nurse by a lot.

Good point, Trouba fits a lot better with our McDavid window than Nurse.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677333 is a reply to message #677328 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 08:46

I suppose it depends what you call the McDavid window.

If we add Trouba at 5.5-6 million (no source but I think I heard he wants 6) and assuming the big contract that McDavid will get very soon our cap situation becomes very very scary.
Now you add a new contract for Draisatl and things can get real rough real fast.
I am not good at estimating contracts but;

With;
Ebs, RNH and Lucic at 6 = 18
Leon and JP soon to cost a good chunk of money.
McDavid soon to be very expensive

Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson (all until at least 20/21)= ~13.5

Talbot @ 4.16

You are at close to $36 mill before adding Leon, JP and Mcdavid to the pile.

I am not cap expert but adding 5-6 million in Trouba money to that seems like it would screw us bad for the future.
I have a feeling that Trouba could have been had for Hall but Larsson's cap hit pushed him to the front.

I think the McDavid window is going to come after his cheap years. So the success will be decided by filling in the other spots with cheap young talent not high priced ones.

We need the development of Davidson, Nurse, Oesterle, Bear, Jones, Etc to fill in the blue line behind the guys we already have.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677344 is a reply to message #677333 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 09:02

If we add Trouba at 5.5-6 million (no source but I think I heard he wants 6) and assuming the big contract that McDavid will get very soon our cap situation becomes very very scary.
Now you add a new contract for Draisatl and things can get real rough real fast.

With;

Talbot @ 4.16

I am not cap expert but adding 5-6 million in Trouba money to that seems like it would screw us bad for the future.
I have a feeling that Trouba could have been had for Hall but Larsson's cap hit pushed him to the front.

I think the McDavid window is going to come after his cheap years. So the success will be decided by filling in the other spots with cheap young talent not high priced ones.

We need the development of Davidson, Nurse, Oesterle, Bear, Jones, Etc to fill in the blue line behind the guys we already have.

If you are to look at it as Nurse ($1.7M with all bonuses) + Ference ($3.2M on LTIR) to add Trouba in at $5M is almost a wash. But that does pose a problem with adding money in later years for Marron, Davidson, Leon, JP. But you can trade someone. Or if Trouba signs a Klefbom/Klingberg deal at $4.2M long term that opens up more money for others.

Fayne $3.6M comes out when Mcdavid needs a new contract, ($3.775M max bonuses now and $3.6 for Fayne is $7.3M) you can then have options with Marron/Pouliot to clear out some cash for McDavid/JP/Drai.

It's better to be in a position where you have players beating out spots of other players and trading decent ones like Pouliot / Marron then it is to have a less competitive lineup. Look at Chicago they have no problem retooling, they are just smart with drafting/trading.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677358 is a reply to message #677344 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 10:44

With;

Talbot @ 4.16

If you are to look at it as Nurse ($1.7M with all bonuses) + Ference ($3.2M on LTIR) to add Trouba in at $5M is almost a wash. But that does pose a problem with adding money in later years for Marron, Davidson, Leon, JP. But you can trade someone. Or if Trouba signs a Klefbom/Klingberg deal at $4.2M long term that opens up more money for others.

Fayne $3.6M comes out when Mcdavid needs a new contract, ($3.775M max bonuses now and $3.6 for Fayne is $7.3M) you can then have options with Marron/Pouliot to clear out some cash for McDavid/JP/Drai.

It's better to be in a position where you have players beating out spots of other players and trading decent ones like Pouliot / Marron then it is to have a less competitive lineup. Look at Chicago they have no problem retooling, they are just smart with drafting/trading.

If you look at Chicago they have the top end guys locked up. Draft new ones that are cheap replacements for guys they need to let walk.
They then trade for spare parts as needed during the season/deadline.

In theory that should be Nurse, JP and hopefully another player or two to go along with the group we have now for prospects being the pipeline to fill in the lineup as spots are freed up with guys like Fayne, pouliot, etc coming off the books as the team moves forward.

I just hear Bob Mac on TSN radio say that Trouba was looking north of 7 for his contract.

And I would guess that McDavid gets much more than 7.3 but again I am not great at predicting cap hits on new contracts.

I think if they traded Nurse for Trouba you are looking at losing on of RNH or Eberle and a guy like Davidson.

You could still argue the Oilers are better in that case but my early thought on this is that Chia likes what he has right now and isnt ready to give up Nurse and take on the extra cap that Trouba brings over.

If the Oilers were a clear playoff team this year and the only question mark was that one RH D man then I would say do it but they are not.

The fact is that nothing to do with this trade talk there likely isnt a cup run in the next year or two so why trade assets now that will cause problems at the expansion draft and then with the cap in coming years?

I believe the smartest route is to play with what they have now and then;
- make a trade in season IF they can get a great deal
- make a deal after the expansion draft once you know what you have lost

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677362 is a reply to message #677358 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 11:38

McDavid97 wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 10:44

With;

Talbot @ 4.16

If you look at Chicago they have the top end guys locked up. Draft new ones that are cheap replacements for guys they need to let walk.
They then trade for spare parts as needed during the season/deadline.

In theory that should be Nurse, JP and hopefully another player or two to go along with the group we have now for prospects being the pipeline to fill in the lineup as spots are freed up with guys like Fayne, pouliot, etc coming off the books as the team moves forward.

I just hear Bob Mac on TSN radio say that Trouba was looking north of 7 for his contract.

And I would guess that McDavid gets much more than 7.3 but again I am not great at predicting cap hits on new contracts.

I think if they traded Nurse for Trouba you are looking at losing on of RNH or Eberle and a guy like Davidson.

You could still argue the Oilers are better in that case but my early thought on this is that Chia likes what he has right now and isnt ready to give up Nurse and take on the extra cap that Trouba brings over.

If the Oilers were a clear playoff team this year and the only question mark was that one RH D man then I would say do it but they are not.

The fact is that nothing to do with this trade talk there likely isnt a cup run in the next year or two so why trade assets now that will cause problems at the expansion draft and then with the cap in coming years?

I believe the smartest route is to play with what they have now and then;
- make a trade in season IF they can get a great deal
- make a deal after the expansion draft once you know what you have lost

I wasn't saying McDavid only gets $7.3M I was saying if you look at what his potential cap hit is at and Fayne's cap hit (when McDavid expires) that gives you $7.3M of X amount that he will so it's not like we have to come up with $7-10M we have most of that already. It would be if we need $10M you trade Pouliot or someone like that.

Also you could eventually trade Eberle / Nuge / Pouliot if you need to and that frees up $4-$6M for other contracts for McDavid/ JP/ Drai. You don't want to have $20M tied up with 3 centers I wouldn't think in the future.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677374 is a reply to message #677362 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 13:13

]

I wasn't saying McDavid only gets $7.3M I was saying if you look at what his potential cap hit is at and Fayne's cap hit (when McDavid expires) that gives you $7.3M of X amount that he will so it's not like we have to come up with $7-10M we have most of that already. It would be if we need $10M you trade Pouliot or someone like that.

Also you could eventually trade Eberle / Nuge / Pouliot if you need to and that frees up $4-$6M for other contracts for McDavid/ JP/ Drai. You don't want to have $20M tied up with 3 centers I wouldn't think in the future.

I still think you end up with a team in two years that is not that much better, in fact I believe might be worse, AND you are likely in cap hell.

Right now for 2018/19 with Nurse out and Trouba in you have;

2018-19
Forwards
Eberle (6)
RNH (6)
Lucic (6)
Pouliot (4)
Draisaitl (4ish?)
JP (.925 plus bonuses)
McDavid (9?)

Around 36

Defensemen
Sekera (5.5)
Klefbom (4.167)
Larsson (4.167)
Trouba (6)

Around 20

Goalies
Talbot (4.167)

that comes out to around 60 million. Who knows what the cap does in the next two years but right now it is about 73 million right? (honest question, I am speaking without exact knowledge.

so you have 13 million and a lot of spots to fill. You can slot in a couple of RFA's like Davidson but I think that team ends up VERY top heavy salary wise and you end up with serious problems.

Now you trade RNH or Draisaitl and likely one winger in Pouliot or Eberle and your top 6/9 starts to look a lot thinner.
Factor in a lost player to expansion and things get even dicier.

I mentioned in the other thread that Trouba is rumoured to want 7/year. I dont even think he is worth 6.

But the whole point of my side I guess is that in 2 years there is a good chance that Nurse is as good or better than Trouba and THAT is the time frame that we will actually need to be a good team, worry about cap space, etc.
Does Trouba make us better today, you bet. Is it good long term, I dont believe so.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677370 is a reply to message #677358 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Hahaha, okay, pass on Trouba, moving on.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677371 is a reply to message #677370 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 14:08

I don't really doubt Bob Mac, but honestly, where is the Trouba camp puling that number from? There's no comparables that the Trouba camp can really point to, is there? I wonder if that isn't just a number to play hardball and force the Jets hand; something like 'if you are going to play him in on the left side or if you are keeping him on the third pairing, this is our number. If you're willing to negotiate on some of those other things, we'll negotiate on the cap.'

I just can't really imagine where that number would be based in.

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #677377 is a reply to message #677371 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 14:12

Magnum wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 14:08

I don't really doubt Bob Mac, but honestly, where is the Trouba camp puling that number from? There's no comparables that the Trouba camp can really point to, is there? I wonder if that isn't just a number to play hardball and force the Jets hand; something like 'if you are going to play him in on the left side or if you are keeping him on the third pairing, this is our number. If you're willing to negotiate on some of those other things, we'll negotiate on the cap.'

I just can't really imagine where that number would be based in.

Thinking he will end up with max 6M AAV deal long term which would be do-able here since we have Klef and Larsson on great long term deals. Bridge deal would probably be a mistake for whoever signs him.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #681078 is a reply to message #677268 ]
Mon, 07 November 2016 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

Quote:

@FriedgeHNIC
Jacob Trouba is re-signing in Winnipeg. Hearing two years, $3M AAV.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/795724745056669696

Seems like a crazy good deal for a player of Trouba's caliber, though have to wait and see if it's a signing to stay there or for a sign and trade

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #681080 is a reply to message #681078 ]
Mon, 07 November 2016 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

Weird, there were a bunch more posts in this thread as a result of the signing but they seem to have disappeared.
That contract makes a trade look more and more likely methinks. Who wouldn't want a top 4, hard hitting, hard shooting RHD for $3m cap hit?

Re: Jacob Trouba holdout and trade request [message #681081 is a reply to message #681078 ]
Mon, 07 November 2016 16:22 Go to previous message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

eedok wrote on Mon, 07 November 2016 15:19

Quote:

@FriedgeHNIC
Jacob Trouba is re-signing in Winnipeg. Hearing two years, $3M AAV.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/795724745056669696

Seems like a crazy good deal for a player of Trouba's caliber, though have to wait and see if it's a signing to stay there or for a sign and trade

Well, if that bridge deal can't help Winnipeg facilitate a deal for a player coming back that helps them, I don't know what would. Trouba should be motivated to cash in on his next contract, if nothing else.

Previous Topic:World Cup of Hockey
Next Topic:Survivor 25
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca