This day on April 29
None

Happy Birthday To: eightythree, yanner39, Smid4Life, Oil Spill, Ginjanna, Sopranosbaby, epower, Brewer84, rufeo01, OilCup2017

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Summer 2023 Signings and Trades...Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824604 is a reply to message #824602 ]
Tue, 27 June 2023 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 14:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 15:28

The Dubois trade is looking like Vilardi, Iafalo, Kupari and a 2nd for Dubois. I haven't seen if there are any other pieces from the Jets coming back but man, that's a haul for Dubois. I think the Jets did pretty well.

I see Helly and Wheeler as the next pieces to be dealt.....

Depending on how the season goes...Scheifele followed by Connor/Pionk will likely be moved if they feel a rebuild is needed

All of Scheifele, Wheeler and Hellebuyck are a year away from UFA, and there's been rumours for months that the last two wanted out. If there was any last shreds of hope that they'd stay, I think it was shredded when their coach crapped all over them after the playoffs. It would be surprising if they start the year with the Jets.

As for Hellebuyck, I'd be making a call...straight up for Campbell, along with next year's first and second round picks and their choice of a bunch of prospects. Campbell would be a great goalie for a team looking at a rebuild!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824603 is a reply to message #824601 ]
Tue, 27 June 2023 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 14:28

The Dubois trade is looking like Vilardi, Iafalo, Kupari and a 2nd for Dubois. I haven't seen if there are any other pieces from the Jets coming back but man, that's a haul for Dubois. I think the Jets did pretty well.

When people suggest that we can't make trades for any number of reasons, I always look at deals like this. Literally half the league has an incompetent ex-player at the helm. They don't have a strong enough understanding of the cap, of relative values, of analytics. They regularly will ignore the people their ownership is paying for to better educate them on these sorts of things. There is always a Guerin or a Blake or a Drury or a Briere just dying to get taken advantage of, so be their best friends, and make sure you're there to fleece them when they need it.

Those are the kinds of guys I'd be calling about Evander Kane, because I think they'd overpay HUGE for him at this point. I might ask about Darnell Nurse or Cody Ceci too.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824605 is a reply to message #824603 ]
Tue, 27 June 2023 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 14:38

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 14:28

When people suggest that we can't make trades for any number of reasons, I always look at deals like this. Literally half the league has an incompetent ex-player at the helm. They don't have a strong enough understanding of the cap, of relative values, of analytics. They regularly will ignore the people their ownership is paying for to better educate them on these sorts of things. There is always a Guerin or a Blake or a Drury or a Briere just dying to get taken advantage of, so be their best friends, and make sure you're there to fleece them when they need it.

Those are the kinds of guys I'd be calling about Evander Kane, because I think they'd overpay HUGE for him at this point. I might ask about Darnell Nurse or Cody Ceci too.

Evander Kane would be the perfect sale. Old school GM's love gritensity and intangibles. Despite his short comings he would likely fetch a haul and clear up cap space.

Looks like Ceci is being shopped if you believe in Seravelli and moving Nurse would be a dream. Darnell has those same gritensity and intangible locker room assets certain types of GM's love.

Unfortunately Holland also values these characteristics too.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824606 is a reply to message #824599 ]
Tue, 27 June 2023 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 13:27

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1673774329635672070 ?s=20

Incredible. Blake & Robitaille giving up more than fair value for Dubois and then turning around and paying him like a superstar. I love to see it.

PLD can score, but pretty brutal defensively. Maybe there is some magic fairy dust that can come off Kopitar and Danault onto him, but not sure it'll change much.

Iafallo and Vilardi were huge pains in the butt against us, so I like seeing this. The defensive pestering and grinding of those 2 wingers were annoying, would rather have PLD trying to trade chances with us. Wouldn't be surprised if Vilardi actually outscores PLD next year.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 June 2023 15:24]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824607 is a reply to message #824606 ]
Tue, 27 June 2023 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 16:15

Adam wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 13:27

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1673774329635672070 ?s=20

Incredible. Blake & Robitaille giving up more than fair value for Dubois and then turning around and paying him like a superstar. I love to see it.

PLD can score, but pretty brutal defensively. Maybe there is some magic fairy dust that can come off Kopitar and Danault onto him, but not sure it'll change much.

Iafallo and Vilardi were huge pains in the butt against us, so I like seeing this. The defensive pestering and grinding of those 2 wingers were annoying, would rather have PLD trying to trade chances with us. Wouldn't be surprised if Vilardi actually outscores PLD next year.

They're also relatively weaker on the right side now after Durzi was shipped to the Coyotes...

Appears as if the Sharks have acquired Mackenzie Blackwood from the Devils meaning NJ clearing space to likely acquire Helly from the Jets

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824608 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Tue, 27 June 2023 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

Funny. I thought it was the Oilers that would destroy the Kings like they did the Flames. Turns out it was the Jets. This is one of the worst trades I've ever seen. LA got ROBBED.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824610 is a reply to message #824608 ]
Tue, 27 June 2023 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 16:51

Funny. I thought it was the Oilers that would destroy the Kings like they did the Flames. Turns out it was the Jets. This is one of the worst trades I've ever seen. LA got ROBBED.

It was actually the Habs coming back into the PLD sweepstakes which robbed the Kings....

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824616 is a reply to message #824610 ]
Tue, 27 June 2023 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 14:57

It was actually the Habs coming back into the PLD sweepstakes which robbed the Kings....

Go Habs! :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824618 is a reply to message #824616 ]
Tue, 27 June 2023 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Flames getting in to the action on the sell-off. Toffoli to the Devils for Yegor Sharanovich and a third round pick.

Here's Yegor's stats:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=207017

Craig Conroy's first trade is pretty underwhelming if you're a Flames fan. If you cheer for the Devils, you're pretty excited about the upgrade there. (Unless that is, you're size obsessed and think that the 6'0 Toffoli isn't big enough to change the fortunes of the Devils and the 6'2 Sharangovich will be badly missed).

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824619 is a reply to message #824618 ]
Tue, 27 June 2023 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 17:42

Flames getting in to the action on the sell-off. Toffoli to the Devils for Yegor Sharanovich and a third round pick.

Here's Yegor's stats:

Craig Conroy's first trade is pretty underwhelming if you're a Flames fan. If you cheer for the Devils, you're pretty excited about the upgrade there. (Unless that is, you're size obsessed and think that the 6'0 Toffoli isn't big enough to change the fortunes of the Devils and the 6'2 Sharangovich will be badly missed).

Flames fans stunned that they didn't get 2 1sts and a high end prospect for Toffoli.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824640 is a reply to message #824618 ]
Wed, 28 June 2023 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Here's Yegor's stats:

Awesome trade. Toffoli was one of their most consistent 2-way players. Way to go NJ with the robbery.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824641 is a reply to message #824640 ]
Wed, 28 June 2023 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 28 June 2023 11:04

Here's Yegor's stats:

Awesome trade. Toffoli was one of their most consistent 2-way players. Way to go NJ with the robbery.

And they follow it up by paying Sharangovich 75% of what they were paying Toffoli for less than 50% of the production.

Honestly, if that was the best you could do for Toffoli, I'd have kept him until the trade deadline at least. That's just a stunningly bad deal.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824642 is a reply to message #824640 ]
Wed, 28 June 2023 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 28 June 2023 11:04

Here's Yegor's stats:

I do wonder if the Flames would have been better off keeping him until the deadline. This is his last year of the deal so you'd think he'd be motivated to try and put up another good season to get that final contract to end his career. So could the Flames have rode him out then got a better return at the deadline? At 4.25 mill for a guy capable of giving you 25 goals, he would have got interest for sure at the deadline. I guess they want live bodies so maybe that wouldn't have been the case at the deadline from a team loading up.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824633 is a reply to message #824616 ]
Wed, 28 June 2023 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 18:10

I think the jury is still out on pieces Winnipeg got in return...esp if PLD suddenly becomes a cornerstone 70+ points player annually....

Vilardi - serious health risks at this stage of his career...plays center but seems to be more effective as a complimentary winger at the NHL level...could be a good replacement for Wheeler at right wing too if his production is consistent

Kupari - I wonder what his upside is...but sounds like that they might try using him as a 3rd line center on paper when Winnipeg already has an effective bottom 6...does he have top 6 potential preferably as a 2nd line center in this league?

Iafallo - Got some 2nd line minutes...pretty good at special teams...but more of a bottom 6 winger which Winnipeg already has a bit of

2nd Round Pick - This one actually depends on how well the Habs do next year....if the Habs stink again, it'll be the equivalent of a late 1st round pick

Either way, I hope PLD parties too hard in LA and never plays up to his potential

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824635 is a reply to message #824633 ]
Wed, 28 June 2023 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 28 June 2023 09:52

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 June 2023 18:10

I think the jury is still out on pieces Winnipeg got in return...esp if PLD suddenly becomes a cornerstone 70+ points player annually....

Vilardi - serious health risks at this stage of his career...plays center but seems to be more effective as a complimentary winger at the NHL level...could be a good replacement for Wheeler at right wing too if his production is consistent

Kupari - I wonder what his upside is...but sounds like that they might try using him as a 3rd line center on paper when Winnipeg already has an effective bottom 6...does he have top 6 potential preferably as a 2nd line center in this league?

Iafallo - Got some 2nd line minutes...pretty good at special teams...but more of a bottom 6 winger which Winnipeg already has a bit of

2nd Round Pick - This one actually depends on how well the Habs do next year....if the Habs stink again, it'll be the equivalent of a late 1st round pick

Either way, I hope PLD parties too hard in LA and never plays up to his potential

What are the odds that Dubois is just about to become a perrennial 70+ points guy?

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=176718

He's 25 and has three 60+ point seasons, but he's never threatened 70. Even if he does, the pieces that LA gave up should be capable of getting at least that too. That salary for Dubois looks a lot like the Nurse deal to me - way too much for what he brings. He's a good player and he's going to add something to their team, but he's really expensive now and they gave up three NHL players and a draft pick for him. That's an incredible price to pay for a guy who just isn't a superstar and who's never put up superstar numbers.

While the deal isn't risk-free for Winnipeg, I think LA got fleeced.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824643 is a reply to message #824635 ]
Wed, 28 June 2023 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Caleb Jones is not going to get qualified by the Hawks. His QO is 1.35 mill. Not exactly a glowing endorsement from a really bad team that just needs live bodies to fill out a roster when they won't even give you 1.35 mill to play defense.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824644 is a reply to message #824643 ]
Wed, 28 June 2023 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Timo Meire 8 yrs x 8.8 mill. I don't think it's a cheap contract but I don't think it's a bad overpay. Scored 35 then 40 goals this past year.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824650 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Wed, 28 June 2023 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Knights are after it again. Moving out the 32 year old Reilly Smith for a 3rd round pick and re-signing the 27 year Barbashev to 5 year deal saving them 250k a year in cap space.

Ross Colton is a Avalanche for a 2nd round pick.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824651 is a reply to message #824650 ]
Wed, 28 June 2023 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

5 mill for Barbashev! Holy man, guys are getting paid.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824659 is a reply to message #824651 ]
Wed, 28 June 2023 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 28 June 2023 15:42

5 mill for Barbashev! Holy man, guys are getting paid.

It’s a bit of a reach, but cheaper, younger and similar production to Rielly.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824682 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Thu, 29 June 2023 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Poor Jesse. His hips were still a mess, maybe close to end of his career already.

Chris Johnston @reporterchris

There is word that Jesse Puljujarvi recently underwent double hip surgery and is facing a lengthy recovery. He won't receive a qualifying offer from the #hurricanes before tomorrow's deadline and will become an unrestricted free agent.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824685 is a reply to message #824682 ]
Thu, 29 June 2023 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 29 June 2023 10:25

Poor Jesse. His hips were still a mess, maybe close to end of his career already.

There is word that Jesse Puljujarvi recently underwent double hip surgery and is facing a lengthy recovery. He won't receive a qualifying offer from the #hurricanes before tomorrow's deadline and will become an unrestricted free agent.

He must have been born with something?

Seems odd a guy as young as him would need this many hip surgeries. He had a surgery what was it, 2 yrs ago I think. I think he NHL career is over.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824687 is a reply to message #824685 ]
Thu, 29 June 2023 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 29 June 2023 10:30

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 29 June 2023 10:25

He must have been born with something?

Seems odd a guy as young as him would need this many hip surgeries. He had a surgery what was it, 2 yrs ago I think. I think he NHL career is over.

Think he had abnormal bone growth in his hips as the reason for the first surgery? Wonder if that is something that can keep coming back, or the cleanup needed can lead to other issues with the intense joint use from sports.

Doesn't sound good in any case. Wish him luck, hope he doesn't do anything to end up with a retirement of pain.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824688 is a reply to message #824687 ]
Thu, 29 June 2023 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I can't see another team going near this guy. A player that severely lacks puck skill and now has chronic hip issues. Seems like red flags to me.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824737 is a reply to message #824682 ]
Thu, 29 June 2023 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 29 June 2023 09:25

He had (has) a hip abnormality which restricted the joint movement.. and his skating.. 1st surgery was to relieve the impingement.. get more range of motion.. appears not to have worked.. and/or caused more problems.. wishing the Bison King well.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824739 is a reply to message #824737 ]
Thu, 29 June 2023 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 29 June 2023 15:14

He had (has) a hip abnormality which restricted the joint movement.. and his skating.. 1st surgery was to relieve the impingement.. get more range of motion.. appears not to have worked.. and/or caused more problems.. wishing the Bison King well.

He's done in the NHL. If he plays pro hockey at all, it will be in Europe for a long time.

I am looking forward to all the recognition that I was right that he would not be a long term NHLer. icon_biggrin

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824751 is a reply to message #824739 ]
Thu, 29 June 2023 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 29 June 2023 15:18

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 29 June 2023 15:14

He's done in the NHL. If he plays pro hockey at all, it will be in Europe for a long time.

I am looking forward to all the recognition that I was right that he would not be a long term NHLer. icon_biggrin

Keep looking. It’s nothing to brag about, but whatever makes you feel better.

I hope the kid heals up and can resume his career.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824704 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Thu, 29 June 2023 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Weirdest trade of the day so far - Corey Perry from Tampa to Chicago for a 7th round pick in next year's draft.

Perry's a free agent next week, so Chicago's just getting a few extra days to negotiate with him. He's 38 and coming off a 25 point season, so how hard were you going to have to fight to get his attention on the UFA market?

I suppose it's only a 7th round pick. Notable that it's more than you can get for Kostin and Yamamoto though...

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824715 is a reply to message #824704 ]
Thu, 29 June 2023 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 29 June 2023 14:28

Weirdest trade of the day so far - Corey Perry from Tampa to Chicago for a 7th round pick in next year's draft.

Perry's a free agent next week, so Chicago's just getting a few extra days to negotiate with him. He's 38 and coming off a 25 point season, so how hard were you going to have to fight to get his attention on the UFA market?

I suppose it's only a 7th round pick. Notable that it's more than you can get for Kostin and Yamamoto though...

It's valuable to have a guy with that kind of sway with the refs to help protect your young projected superstar.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824716 is a reply to message #824715 ]
Thu, 29 June 2023 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Cmon Chicago, 8 years for Perry!

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824752 is a reply to message #824704 ]
Thu, 29 June 2023 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 29 June 2023 12:28

Or it shows you the value of a 7th rounder. It’s like finding loose Pennie’s in your center console. Worthless to most and tossed off to the side.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824754 is a reply to message #824752 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

There are rumors going around that the Hawks might offer Perry a 1 yr, 4 mill deal. For a guy that was 38, he was surprisingly productive with 12 goals, 25 pts. That's pretty decent 4th line numbers but he made 1 mill and now they want to give him 4!! I get the need to bring in players to make out a roster and to get to the cap floor. But why the hell would you trade for Bailey just to buy him out. I get they got a second for him so that's decent value for the Hawks but he had a cap hit of 5 mill, if you need players and you need to make the floor PLAY HIM! I get he's overpaid for a 4th liner but for 1 yr, who cares especially if you are willing to give Perry 4 mill. Now they have a cap hit of 1.16 for next year for no real reason.

The things the Hawks are doing are just bizarre.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824762 is a reply to message #824752 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 29 June 2023 21:12

Or it shows you the value of a 7th rounder. It’s like finding loose Pennie’s in your center console. Worthless to most and tossed off to the side.

Except to Yzerman, who wouldn't even give that up for those two players.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824765 is a reply to message #824762 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 09:40

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 29 June 2023 21:12

Except to Yzerman, who wouldn't even give that up for those two players.

This makes more sense now...Yzerman saw no value in Yamamoto and valued Kostin so highly that he's willing to pay an extra million a year for just the right to try to sign him...

Yikes.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824766 is a reply to message #824765 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Wheeler and Duchene also getting buy-outs. Interesting.

Ugly buyout for Wheeler - Winnipeg now gets two years of cap hit instead of one, and he can go sign cheap somewhere that's not Winnipeg so Wheeler is the big winner here.

Duchene is a little surprising to me. Pretty decent year last year.

Maybe they both want to come here cheap?

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824768 is a reply to message #824766 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Does McD know Duchense and does he have his number?

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824769 is a reply to message #824768 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Nashville is going to eat a 5 & 6 million dollar cap hit in years two and three of the Duchene buy out. That's a heavy heavy pill to swallow.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824775 is a reply to message #824769 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 10:53

Nashville is going to eat a 5 & 6 million dollar cap hit in years two and three of the Duchene buy out. That's a heavy heavy pill to swallow.

An...interesting tweet from Frank Seravalli:

Quote:

Frank Seravalli on Twitter

Barry Trotz has clearly placed an emphasis on one thing as #preds GM: Culture.
Matt Duchene had 3 years remaining at $8 million AAV.
His buyout calculation, per @CapFriendly, is not pretty. For two of those seasons, there is a $5.5 and $6.5 million cap charge.

Pretty casual side-swipe at the player in this tweet, with no context offered as to why Duchene would be a negative for culture.

I really dislike how easily media guys will say these things about players, offering zero proof of their assertion (which may well be fed to them by management trying to make justifications for the move they just made). We have heard regularly that someone is mentally soft, or bad in the room, or has attitude problems, etc. etc. but to me, it's punching down at a guy who just got fired, in essence.

It's notable how few of them, despite their willingness to sewer players like this, are willing to say anything about the Team Canada scandal or the Blackhawks scandal or even just calling out bad management. Profiles in courage.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824777 is a reply to message #824775 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 11:32

Quote:

His buyout calculation, per @CapFriendly, is not pretty. For two of those seasons, there is a $5.5 and $6.5 million cap charge.

Pretty casual side-swipe at the player in this tweet, with no context offered as to why Duchene would be a negative for culture.

I really dislike how easily media guys will say these things about players, offering zero proof of their assertion (which may well be fed to them by management trying to make justifications for the move they just made). We have heard regularly that someone is mentally soft, or bad in the room, or has attitude problems, etc. etc. but to me, it's punching down at a guy who just got fired, in essence.

It's notable how few of them, despite their willingness to sewer players like this, are willing to say anything about the Team Canada scandal or the Blackhawks scandal or even just calling out bad management. Profiles in courage.

No one should trust the media. They're arm's length PR at best. No one should trust the teams either, their goals and interests are not the same as ours. Nashville needs a narrative out there and the media is more than willing to push that onto us.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824804 is a reply to message #824777 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 11:41

Adam wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 11:32

Quote:

No one should trust the media. They're arm's length PR at best. No one should trust the teams either, their goals and interests are not the same as ours. Nashville needs a narrative out there and the media is more than willing to push that onto us.

Stone Cold Steve Austin said it best. DTA.

Don't Trust Anyone!

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824770 is a reply to message #824766 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 11:19

Wheeler and Duchene also getting buy-outs. Interesting.

Ugly buyout for Wheeler - Winnipeg now gets two years of cap hit instead of one, and he can go sign cheap somewhere that's not Winnipeg so Wheeler is the big winner here.

Duchene is a little surprising to me. Pretty decent year last year.

Maybe they both want to come here cheap?

The rumor is Wheeler to Dallas.....as for Duchene, not really sure what will happen to him.

-Update on Wheeler....he prefers being in the eastern conference for shorter travel times, etc

[Updated on: Fri, 30 June 2023 11:24]

Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Ottawa Senators drama - Dorion fired
Next Topic:Mike Babcock
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca