This day on February 9
None

Happy Birthday To: Hemsky_Rules92, sparkplug4, BarneyStinson

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808312 is a reply to message #808296 ]
Sat, 04 June 2022 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

3 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sat, 04 June 2022 02:28

I loved the 29 ext from day one and have never wavered. For many times minus 97 in this years playoffs 29 has been best player on team.

And I still think we overpaid Draisaitl (at the time). There was no was we knew this was coming.

We got lucky.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808313 is a reply to message #808312 ]
Sat, 04 June 2022 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

1 Cup

We also got lucky with Klefbom. BUT, screwed by fate afterward with his (apparently) career-ending condition.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808351 is a reply to message #808312 ]
Sat, 04 June 2022 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

You must not have watched 29 dominant the playoffs that spring.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808442 is a reply to message #808351 ]
Sun, 05 June 2022 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

3 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sat, 04 June 2022 19:11

You must not have watched 29 dominant the playoffs that spring.

We all watched it. It earned him McKinnon money, or a slight bit more at that time.

That was a huge deal at the time and it altered free agents signings going forward.

No one at that time expected Leon to out perform his deal. We all just hoped he’d earn his cheque. Thank god our big German is part god.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808439 is a reply to message #808245 ]
Sun, 05 June 2022 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Nurse’ core injury is the Oilers core injury. Ifykyk

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808447 is a reply to message #808439 ]
Sun, 05 June 2022 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 05 June 2022 08:55

I have a little theory about Nurse. I think that he's in great physical condition, does all his martial arts and maintains his cardio, etc. But Phil Esposito explained that the reason he was so effective in front of the net was he carried extra weight from his eating habits and it made it extremely difficult for anyone to move him out of the slot. Same with D men like Stevens and Savard back in the day - an extra 20 pounds meant you could battle the forwards in front of the net and they had trouble pushing you around. Plus, when you hit someone, the extra weight carried extra hurt. If you're Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey then carrying extra weight is bad - limits speed and mobility. But if you're a defensive defenceman tasked with controlling the slot and the D zone corners, size matters.

Bouchard got tossed like a candy wrapper in a kid's playground, but he's young and not filled out yet so I am not going to grief him on this subject. However, I think Larsson (same size, heftier, meaner) finishes that check and ends that play. Nurse is booked at 220 lbs but he looks 205 to me - tough as nails, healthy and strong - but opponents just bounce off him in the corners and force him to crosscheck in the slot because he can't maintain his position or bulldoze them out of the way.

I like Nurse btw and think he's going to be an integral part of the team going forward.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808449 is a reply to message #808447 ]
Sun, 05 June 2022 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Sun, 05 June 2022 12:12

I have a little theory about Nurse. I think that he's in great physical condition, does all his martial arts and maintains his cardio, etc. But Phil Esposito explained that the reason he was so effective in front of the net was he carried extra weight from his eating habits and it made it extremely difficult for anyone to move him out of the slot. Same with D men like Stevens and Savard back in the day - an extra 20 pounds meant you could battle the forwards in front of the net and they had trouble pushing you around. Plus, when you hit someone, the extra weight carried extra hurt. If you're Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey then carrying extra weight is bad - limits speed and mobility. But if you're a defensive defenceman tasked with controlling the slot and the D zone corners, size matters.

Bouchard got tossed like a candy wrapper in a kid's playground, but he's young and not filled out yet so I am not going to grief him on this subject. However, I think Larsson (same size, heftier, meaner) finishes that check and ends that play. Nurse is booked at 220 lbs but he looks 205 to me - tough as nails, healthy and strong - but opponents just bounce off him in the corners and force him to crosscheck in the slot because he can't maintain his position or bulldoze them out of the way.

I like Nurse btw and think he's going to be an integral part of the team going forward.

He looks like a string bean. Always has. I remember thinking yeeeears ago, man just wait till he fills out. But really… how much ‘filling out’ does he have left? Sure the dude has muscle, clearly. But there’s no meat there.

He is already an integral part of the team. But many have the Burke blinders on… Nurse as he’s built, isn’t a feared defender. He’s Machine Gun Kelly on skates when we expect him to be Fitty Cent

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808450 is a reply to message #808447 ]
Sun, 05 June 2022 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Sun, 05 June 2022 15:12

Good post. Kinda where I am. He has absolutely been hot garbage for a few games now, but a lot of that can be attributed to him obviously being injured. For those saying stupid decisions aren’t the result of an injury, well maybe not all of them, but 100% a physical injury can impact your mental capacities. That said, he wasn’t very good for most of this year.

I don’t think, in fact I’m pretty sure, that Nurse will never be a bargain contract. But if we can get close to the Darnell from the 20-21 season, well then we can live with that. And I am optimistic he can get back there.

I’m no Nurse fanboy, nor a hater. He has always had the physical tools. 2 seasons ago he seemed to finally find a toolbox for them.

He’s only 27. He’s at least as good if not better than Chara was at that age. Not saying he’ll turn into a HoFer, but at 27 defenceman still see improvements to their game.

All that said - he really should sit. Neimelainen and Broberg can’t be much worse than what he is able to provide right now.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808465 is a reply to message #808450 ]
Sun, 05 June 2022 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 05 June 2022 13:38

Good post. Kinda where I am. He has absolutely been hot garbage for a few games now, but a lot of that can be attributed to him obviously being injured. For those saying stupid decisions aren’t the result of an injury, well maybe not all of them, but 100% a physical injury can impact your mental capacities. That said, he wasn’t very good for most of this year.

I don’t think, in fact I’m pretty sure, that Nurse will never be a bargain contract. But if we can get close to the Darnell from the 20-21 season, well then we can live with that. And I am optimistic he can get back there.

I’m no Nurse fanboy, nor a hater. He has always had the physical tools. 2 seasons ago he seemed to finally find a toolbox for them.

He’s only 27. He’s at least as good if not better than Chara was at that age. Not saying he’ll turn into a HoFer, but at 27 defenceman still see improvements to their game.

All that said - he really should sit. Neimelainen and Broberg can’t be much worse than what he is able to provide right now.

I will say that injuries will either hamper someone’s ability to execute based on a decision, or will alter their decision making process to avoid doing something painful at a subconscious/instinctual level. Our biology is evolved to keep us alive and healthy, and sometimes that pushes back on what we want our bodies to do.

That doesn’t defend overall decision making during the regular season, but atleast then when he was healthy his body could perform at a level to execute the decisions he was making, or be fast enough to sometimes make up for a bad decision.

Right now, he hasn’t been able to adapt his game to the injury.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Forget the WCF, the Bigger Worry is Nurse. [message #808504 is a reply to message #808465 ]
Mon, 06 June 2022 16:14 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 05 June 2022 21:12

Mike wrote on Sun, 05 June 2022 13:38

I will say that injuries will either hamper someone’s ability to execute based on a decision, or will alter their decision making process to avoid doing something painful at a subconscious/instinctual level. Our biology is evolved to keep us alive and healthy, and sometimes that pushes back on what we want our bodies to do.

That doesn’t defend overall decision making during the regular season, but atleast then when he was healthy his body could perform at a level to execute the decisions he was making, or be fast enough to sometimes make up for a bad decision.

Right now, he hasn’t been able to adapt his game to the injury.

I 100% think injury will impact a players their decision making. You hear time and time again how when a player is at their best, they aren't "thinking" about a play, they are usually just reading and reacting, doing what's natural to them. When you are injured and you know you can't do something the way you normally do or move a certain way like normal, now you are thinking about it. What can I do. In a game where decisions have to be made in a blink of an eye, if a player has to hesitate to adjust his game, he's dead.
That is what I see happening. Nurse can't do things he normally can due to the injury, so he is having to reprogram his mind and body to play the game differently and when you get next to no time to make a decision, any hesitation can kill you.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca