This day on May 22
None

Happy Birthday To: rjayd2, Fijo, glengiggity, Oilerman53, big_chuy

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gonePages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797490]
Sun, 16 January 2022 09:09 Go to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Watching that presser last night; reality set in. This summer will mark the end of the McDavid era in Oiler threads. I say the odds McD plays for Oilers next year is 6.00 and the Odds he is on another team is 1.20. :(

Send a private message to this user  

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797491 is a reply to message #797490 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 10:09

Watching that presser last night; reality set in. This summer will mark the end of the McDavid era in Oiler threads. I say the odds McD plays for Oilers next year is 6.00 and the Odds he is on another team is 1.20. :(

And Holland would be the one making that trade...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797492 is a reply to message #797490 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

When he goes I go. I haven’t been cheering for the Oilers for a while. I am cheering for him and Leon though.

If they can’t win with those 2 in their primes, there is no point. No better opportunity will come along than that.

They needed to have a half decent offseason, and they didn’t get it.

Clean house or bust

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797493 is a reply to message #797492 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

1 Cup

Yeah after 40 years cheering for this group, if mcdavid goes I'm done too.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797495 is a reply to message #797493 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Yeah, if it happens I’m done. I’ll follow wherever he goes. Almost did it in 88 when Gretzky left. This would do it.

That last off-season was a disaster. The Keith trade all things considered is up there with one of the worst in history. And heading into the year with the same tandem yet again should have been more than enough reason to turf Holland. Especially considering the sheer number of goalies that were available via trades and free agency. There are other issues with this team, but until the goaltending is solidified, they are not going anywhere.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797497 is a reply to message #797495 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 12:15

Yeah, if it happens I’m done. I’ll follow wherever he goes. Almost did it in 88 when Gretzky left. This would do it.

That last off-season was a disaster. The Keith trade all things considered is up there with one of the worst in history. And heading into the year with the same tandem yet again should have been more than enough reason to turf Holland. Especially considering the sheer number of goalies that were available via trades and free agency. There are other issues with this team, but until the goaltending is solidified, they are not going anywhere.

But but Holland tried to fix the goaltending.

He was aggressive 2 summers ago in the Markstrom sweepstakes losing out to Calgary.

He was aggressive last summer in the Kuemper trade front, losing out to Colorado bc Buffalo didn’t agree on the Koskinen trade to facilitate.

But really. It’s Holland’s team. This can’t be blamed on the chiarelli era anymore.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797498 is a reply to message #797497 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 11:24

Mike wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 12:15

But but Holland tried to fix the goaltending.

He was aggressive 2 summers ago in the Markstrom sweepstakes losing out to Calgary.

He was aggressive last summer in the Kuemper trade front, losing out to Colorado bc Buffalo didn’t agree on the Koskinen trade to facilitate.

But really. It’s Holland’s team. This can’t be blamed on the chiarelli era anymore.

That, to me, is one of the biggest failings of the Edmonton Oilers over the last decade or two. They seem to go in to the summer with one best-case scenario, and zero backup plans. They make such a big deal about the guys they tried to get. What other team do we know so much about who they TRIED to sign or trade for? From Eric Lindros, to Dany Heatley, to Marian Hossa, to Jaromir Jagr, to Nylander, to Jonathan Bernier, to Corey Schneider to Dougie Hamilton to Jacob Markstrom, to Darcy Kuemper, to Evander Kane - the team has consistently told the media, either directly or via leaks, about their attempts to make these deals happen. And it's not like we learn about these things in retrospect a few years later - these are always reported on as they happen and with enough details to know that they're legit.

And then when they miss out on these big swings - which is bound to happen give that there's another 29-31 teams trying to improve their own squads each summer too - the team just sort of shrugs its shoulders, say that they tried and then settle back in to the status quo.

They have no backup plan ever, and they're more concerned with letting you and I know about the big attempts that they made to improve the team than they ever do about actually improving the team.

Do you know why teams employ analytics? Because those can help you find value contracts and players who are at least adequate in the event that your big swing doesn't come through. We spend less on analytics than any team in the league, apparently it's "not in the budget" despite paying $5MM for long over-the-hill Holland and untold millions more for Nicholson and Lowe to sip red wine while the Titanic sinks. We give the title to the guy who's booking travel - and do you think they even have that guy in the room for big discussions? I doubt it.

The comet can't come soon enough to wipe out these dinosaurs from our team.

Sadly, I don't know if the owner cares any more. I think he took criticism hard in the first few years and possibly hates Oilers fans now. I think he still likes our money, and he'd prefer to have a winning team, but I think he's fine being distracted by other pursuits now. I don't think he feels answerable to the fans - so having us all angry at his management group doesn't inspire a lot unless it starts hitting the pocketbook. Besides, I imagine those Old Boys/Hockey Canada guys have him so indoctrinated that no one needs "dweebs with spreadsheets" to manage a hockey team...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797501 is a reply to message #797498 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 15:04

Sadly, I don't know if the owner cares any more. I think he took criticism hard in the first few years and possibly hates Oilers fans now. I think he still likes our money, and he'd prefer to have a winning team, but I think he's fine being distracted by other pursuits now. I don't think he feels answerable to the fans - so having us all angry at his management group doesn't inspire a lot unless it starts hitting the pocketbook. Besides, I imagine those Old Boys/Hockey Canada guys have him so indoctrinated that no one needs "dweebs with spreadsheets" to manage a hockey team...

I mean honestly, when was the last time he set foot in Edmonton?

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797502 is a reply to message #797501 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 16:01

Adam wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 15:04

I mean honestly, when was the last time he set foot in Edmonton?

The solution then becomes obvious. Stop giving the Oilers money for an inferior product. Easy. Trust me when I say, you'll be a lot happier not giving piles of cash to watch bad hockey in person. Stop giving piles of cash to bad cable companies that produce bad broadcasts of bad hockey. I've never tried, but I've heard from some young people it's actually pretty easy to watch games now. My fellow Oilfans, this garbage has been going on for 23 freaking years. What have the Oilers done to earn your emotional and, more importantly, financial support?

Treat the Oilers like misbehaving children. Do not incentivize bad behavior.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797503 is a reply to message #797492 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 08:43

When he goes I go. I haven’t been cheering for the Oilers for a while. I am cheering for him and Leon though.

If they can’t win with those 2 in their primes, there is no point. No better opportunity will come along than that.

Yeah, I don't feel like I have any investment with any of the players, other than McDavid. Feels like its been downhill since 06, when I actually cared who was on the 3rd and 4th lines because they were atleast giving you everything they had.

If it was a Katz team vs EIG team, I'd be cheering for EIG. Seems like ages since I cared who was on the 3rd and 4th line because they played their guts out.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797510 is a reply to message #797503 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 16:09

Yeah, I don't feel like I have any investment with any of the players, other than McDavid. Feels like its been downhill since 06, when I actually cared who was on the 3rd and 4th lines because they were atleast giving you everything they had.

If it was a Katz team vs EIG team, I'd be cheering for EIG. Seems like ages since I cared who was on the 3rd and 4th line because they played their guts out.

I feel the same way.. other than McD and LD everyone else is dispensable. Rest of the line up lacks character, heart, and their will is weak.. never mind speed and talent. Team Creampuff.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797511 is a reply to message #797503 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 17:09

The EIG teams didn't try harder, they were better put together. This is NOT because Lowe did a good job of managing the team, he did not. Lowe's team consistently got slightly worse, year after year, from the base Sather built. Point total were propped up by the miserable expansion teams of the early 2000s. This slow decline continued until 2006 when Lowe absolutely emptied the cupboard of everything and anything to make a bad team a something that was briefly good. Following that, well, the Oilers have just been the Oilers.

Looking back on that I don't blame Pronger for dipping out of this mess as fast as he possibly could. He knew.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797512 is a reply to message #797490 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

I haven't truly given a crap about this team since McDavid's rookie season.

I haven't watched a full hockey game in probably 4 years. Before McDavid, I would watch a handful of games per season, so, my fandom has been dwindling for about 8 years; precipitously so for the past 2-3.

Have gone to one game in the past 4 years (went for free with a friend who had season tickets), back in 2017 thereabout.

I have several friends who used to have season tickets, who were diehards, who don't care as much anymore, not even remotely. Forget season seats. This organization has to realize... there is not an unlimited well of loyalty or fervency... there is longterm, generational damage that's been done here. Times are hard, money is tight, and why waste either on a product or team that is still doing whatever the hell it is.

I haven't bought merchandise or gear in at least, at least 5 years, probably closer to 10.

The notion of going to a game pre-pandemic would've been laughable to me, unless I got free tickets and the chance to catch up with people I care about.

I honestly believed that McDavid and Draisaitl were good enough to will this team—to drag it and the absolute morons running the show—into contender status on sheer talent because they're just that good. And that hope carried my interest for awhile. Not anymore.

My fandom has transitioned from the mindset of "watch from a distance with caution," to "I won't take it seriously, and I'll just root for the home team," to "OK, I was being naive, this team really has something rotten in it and it's upsetting to even catch a whiff of them playing hockey, best to avoid it altogether."

I don't watch highlights.

I genuinely and strongly dislike ownership and management of this team. Hearing about the team sucking now gives me pleasure because maybe—just maybe—there's a chance once and for all the entire organizational hierarchy will get cleaned out. There's always that glimmer... that razor thin thought that it could happen if things got bad enough. Failures are compounded when you have 2 of the top 5 players in the world on the team. I think it would make me and a great many other people happy/satisfied if Katz moved the team and the city had a clean slate. Ideally, of course, one hopes Katz sells the team and the Oilers get a new owner.

To me, this organization is now a sham and an embarrassment. I used to believe—not too long ago—that the Oilers were part of the "cultural" fabric of the city, some kind of institution, but I know that's not the case anymore. Edmonton is so much bigger than the Oilers.

Call me foolish or self-righteous, but as I get older, as it pertains it sports, the culture and morality of a game matters to me. That Kyle Beach story basically torpedoed my entire fandom of the pro game. I thought I could still be a fan of the NHL, but I don't watch hockey at all anymore—nothing. Gary Bettman is scum. Just an absolutely outrageous story and I'm sure there are people still being protected, facts that won't come to light.

I know it's completely naive and perhaps even ridiculous to expect pro athletes to maintain some kind of consistent professional conduct; to carry themselves with dignity and to be good humans all the time... I know it's unrealistic. Still, I think the NHL is right there at the bottom along with the NFL in terms of culture and the image they project. There is an unquestionably toxic, patriarchal, ultra conservative flavour that underlies the game of hockey. And I'll be honest, the sport is just too damn White for my enjoyment, and in this day and age its lack of diversity is glaring. That also kills any remaining shred of the sport's appeal to me, which is tragic because, truly, hockey is one of the very best sports in the world.

I still come to OilFans because I like the people here and their intelligent, insightful and humorous banter. And I just enjoy reading the commentary—even if it's just people piling on . confused2 icon_lol

If McDavid asks for a trade, I'll crack a smile because it's what the org needs, if we think the problem is as serious and as bad as one could quickly ascertain from reading these boards.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 January 2022 10:48]

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797524 is a reply to message #797512 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

I am 100 percent done this summer, when, not if 97 is traded. Drai will stay around for one more season then he will ask out as well. The team will then join Arizona as perennial bottom feeders.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797526 is a reply to message #797524 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 06:24

I am 100 percent done this summer, when, not if 97 is traded. Drai will stay around for one more season then he will ask out as well. The team will then join Arizona as perennial bottom feeders.

I've said it before - but it's coming up on 16 years since we came within a game of hoisting our 6th Cup. Followed that up by matching the NHL futility record with 10 straight seasons without a playoff appearance.

It will be a dozen years since that 1st ever 1st overall pick for this franchise. The kind of top end talent that was going to finally lead us to respectability. We've since had 3 more, including one of the best players in the history of the NHL. We have 1 round victory to show for it. Since 2006! In danger of missing the playoffs again this year - a year where everyone "knew" we were at least much better than all the California teams...

16 years, 4 1st overall including one of the best ever, a 3rd overall MVP, and a few other top picks, and still we are fighting just to get into the playoffs.

Serious question - without Leon and Connor, are we any better than those 62 point seasons? I really don't think we are. That any single person has been able to participate in all or most of it is a travesty. The team needs an enema.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797535 is a reply to message #797526 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I don't buy "McD will leave" what I call fear mongering because, and I am sure I will take heat for saying this, McD, Leon, whoever else who in my opinion way too often get a free pass way too often, have just as blame as the rest of the team.

Part of the issues I see with this team and I mean every single guy who steps on the ice is a lack of intensity, a lack of doing what it takes, a lack of willingness to get out of your comfort zone when needed, an overall lack of attention to detail and they are flat out too freaking easy to play against.

The details part are maybe something a different coach can fix but the rest is 100% all on the players to decide to do it. The team continuously feeling their way into a game and taking almost half a period to get a shot is all on the players, that's on them. Being easy to play against is 100% all on the players. In my opinion, there are way, way, way too many guys who have it in their heads that they have a certain job and that is all they do. So in my opinion, they have way too many guys doing the bare minimum and that includes the top guys. To start a game off good and not be so easy to play against, every single guy should have it in their mindset to get in on the forecheck, pressure the opposition, put pucks to the net and finish your check. The expectation from every player shouldn't be that Kassian and the 4th line are the only guys who need to get a hit. A hit doesn't mean you are trying to drill a guy through the boards, a hit is when in on the forecheck you just finish your check. So every guy needs to do that from McD on and that needs to be from the first shift. Finishing your checks, being hard on the forecheck needs to be infectious. The first line out needs to do it, then when you are on the bench, that line needs to be calling on the rest to do it. Then the next line does it, and so on. I think it would go a long, long long way if the big guns did it. Get out of your comfort zone. I think if McD, Leon, Nuge were all hard on the forechecking and finishing every check, it would be pretty hard for lesser guys to justify not doing it. McD and Leon deking through the entire team if great but that doesn't help the rest do more of the little things that is killing this team now.

Now I am not in the locker room so maybe the coach isn't giving th3e expectation that everyone does all the little things, etc and a new coach could help but I do think a ton has to come from the players deciding enough is enough. Slow starts and a lack of intensity have been an issue or this team for a long time and it hasn't just been with Tippett here, it's been with other coaches so in my opinion a mindset change needs to happen with the players that make up the core.

Now that doesn't change the fact that goaltending is a massive, massive issue and that is 100% on the GM and until they get the goalie issue figured out, they will still have some problems but the entire team deciding to play different is a start.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797538 is a reply to message #797535 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 09:46

I don't buy "McD will leave" what I call fear mongering because, and I am sure I will take heat for saying this, McD, Leon, whoever else who in my opinion way too often get a free pass way too often, have just as blame as the rest of the team.

Part of the issues I see with this team and I mean every single guy who steps on the ice is a lack of intensity, a lack of doing what it takes, a lack of willingness to get out of your comfort zone when needed, an overall lack of attention to detail and they are flat out too freaking easy to play against.

The details part are maybe something a different coach can fix but the rest is 100% all on the players to decide to do it. The team continuously feeling their way into a game and taking almost half a period to get a shot is all on the players, that's on them. Being easy to play against is 100% all on the players. In my opinion, there are way, way, way too many guys who have it in their heads that they have a certain job and that is all they do. So in my opinion, they have way too many guys doing the bare minimum and that includes the top guys. To start a game off good and not be so easy to play against, every single guy should have it in their mindset to get in on the forecheck, pressure the opposition, put pucks to the net and finish your check. The expectation from every player shouldn't be that Kassian and the 4th line are the only guys who need to get a hit. A hit doesn't mean you are trying to drill a guy through the boards, a hit is when in on the forecheck you just finish your check. So every guy needs to do that from McD on and that needs to be from the first shift. Finishing your checks, being hard on the forecheck needs to be infectious. The first line out needs to do it, then when you are on the bench, that line needs to be calling on the rest to do it. Then the next line does it, and so on. I think it would go a long, long long way if the big guns did it. Get out of your comfort zone. I think if McD, Leon, Nuge were all hard on the forechecking and finishing every check, it would be pretty hard for lesser guys to justify not doing it. McD and Leon deking through the entire team if great but that doesn't help the rest do more of the little things that is killing this team now.

Now I am not in the locker room so maybe the coach isn't giving th3e expectation that everyone does all the little things, etc and a new coach could help but I do think a ton has to come from the players deciding enough is enough. Slow starts and a lack of intensity have been an issue or this team for a long time and it hasn't just been with Tippett here, it's been with other coaches so in my opinion a mindset change needs to happen with the players that make up the core.

Now that doesn't change the fact that goaltending is a massive, massive issue and that is 100% on the GM and until they get the goalie issue figured out, they will still have some problems but the entire team deciding to play different is a start.

I agree that the coach, GM (and the rest of OEG mgmt) are the biggest part of the problem.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797539 is a reply to message #797538 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 10:14

I agree that the coach, GM (and the rest of OEG mgmt) are the biggest part of the problem.

OK. So pretend they change all those guys and all of a sudden magically everything gets fixed? I am not arguing with you, I think big time changes need to happen to the organization but at the same time, how does firing Nicholson and Holland and whoever else fix some of the other problems? As an example, the Oilers had McD and Leon, arguably maybe the 2 best offensive players in the world on a line together and the entire team didn't get a single shot for like the first 8 mins. How does that happen? How can the 2 best players in the world be unable to generate a scoring chance or shot for almost half the first period? That's what happened last game. So if Nicholson is fired right now, all of a sudden that doesn't happen anymore?

Like I said, I am not arguing with you, I think changes clearly need to happen but at the same time, the entire roster from McD all the way down to the 13th forward need to reprogram themselves. Firing Nicholson or Holland or Tippett shouldn't be the reason a player decides "gee, I will finish my check now that Bobby Nic's is gone or I am going to take that shot when I am wide open in the slot instead of trying for that back door tap in." Those are all thing that are happening over and over again that shouldn't.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797543 is a reply to message #797539 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 10:38

OK. So pretend they change all those guys and all of a sudden magically everything gets fixed? I am not arguing with you, I think big time changes need to happen to the organization but at the same time, how does firing Nicholson and Holland and whoever else fix some of the other problems? As an example, the Oilers had McD and Leon, arguably maybe the 2 best offensive players in the world on a line together and the entire team didn't get a single shot for like the first 8 mins. How does that happen? How can the 2 best players in the world be unable to generate a scoring chance or shot for almost half the first period? That's what happened last game. So if Nicholson is fired right now, all of a sudden that doesn't happen anymore?

Like I said, I am not arguing with you, I think changes clearly need to happen but at the same time, the entire roster from McD all the way down to the 13th forward need to reprogram themselves. Firing Nicholson or Holland or Tippett shouldn't be the reason a player decides "gee, I will finish my check now that Bobby Nic's is gone or I am going to take that shot when I am wide open in the slot instead of trying for that back door tap in." Those are all thing that are happening over and over again that shouldn't.

Firing Nicholson, Hollard, and Lowe creates a situation where the problem could be solved. As it stands right now the Oilers have an entire management team in place who have shown they are unable to not only solve the problems facing the Oilers, but have given no sign they know the problems exist. The current roster is a problem that cannot fix itself. The solution, contrary to management thinking, is simply not in the room. There is no reprogramming that turns the current D, goalie situation, and depth forward situation into a winner.

I hate to say it, but the best case scenario is considering this year and probably next year as two more lost years. The longer Katz delays fixing the real systemic problems that face the Oilers the more he pushes back the timeline where the Oilers could be competitive.

Now, if you're McDavid how much of your career do you want to spend on an organization that fails to put you in position to succeed? 7 years? 9 years? Eventually, a man's patience will run out.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797548 is a reply to message #797543 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 10:07

Firing Nicholson, Hollard, and Lowe creates a situation where the problem could be solved. As it stands right now the Oilers have an entire management team in place who have shown they are unable to not only solve the problems facing the Oilers, but have given no sign they know the problems exist. The current roster is a problem that cannot fix itself. The solution, contrary to management thinking, is simply not in the room. There is no reprogramming that turns the current D, goalie situation, and depth forward situation into a winner.

I hate to say it, but the best case scenario is considering this year and probably next year as two more lost years. The longer Katz delays fixing the real systemic problems that face the Oilers the more he pushes back the timeline where the Oilers could be competitive.

Now, if you're McDavid how much of your career do you want to spend on an organization that fails to put you in position to succeed? 7 years? 9 years? Eventually, a man's patience will run out.

In 16/17 the Oilers finished with 103 points and made the playoffs for the first time in forever. Things were looking up! McDrai combined for 177 points that year.

Those 2 are currently on pace for 253 points. Their improvement since that playoff year is equivalent to adding a near point per game player to the roster, and this year's team is currently on pace for 89 points.

That's an astonishing organizational failure. There are currently 7 players leftover from the 16/17 team (including Kris Russell, who isn't an every day player anymore). They've turned over the bottom of the roster, the top 6 wingers, and most of the defence multiple times since then. Even if you don't like the effort on the ice, there is a group of people that are responsible for bringing those players in, and they seemingly continue to bring in the wrong personnel.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797550 is a reply to message #797548 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 12:18

In 16/17 the Oilers finished with 103 points and made the playoffs for the first time in forever. Things were looking up! McDrai combined for 177 points that year.

Those 2 are currently on pace for 253 points. Their improvement since that playoff year is equivalent to adding a near point per game player to the roster, and this year's team is currently on pace for 89 points.

That's an astonishing organizational failure. There are currently 7 players leftover from the 16/17 team (including Kris Russell, who isn't an every day player anymore). They've turned over the bottom of the roster, the top 6 wingers, and most of the defence multiple times since then. Even if you don't like the effort on the ice, there is a group of people that are responsible for bringing those players in, and they seemingly continue to bring in the wrong personnel.

I suppose an argument could be made that Holland has brought in the right players but the coach simply has been unable to figure out how to use them or adjust when the league responded. That would be my argument if I'm trying to fire Tippett and save Holland. The Oilers were actually winning at the start of the season and the record looked really good.

I wouldn't make that argument, but it's there if anyone wants to take it.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797562 is a reply to message #797550 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 12:16

Goose wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 12:18

I suppose an argument could be made that Holland has brought in the right players but the coach simply has been unable to figure out how to use them or adjust when the league responded. That would be my argument if I'm trying to fire Tippett and save Holland. The Oilers were actually winning at the start of the season and the record looked really good.

If the Oilers were a piece of software or a computer that is broken, you start with the smallest likely part or the one with the least dependencies that has the most immediate impact replace it first.

Replacing Tippett means you don't need to change the roster.

Replacing Holland means you will then need to replace the coach (every GM wants THEIR guy) AND then you need to change the roster. So chances are you aren't seeing any fixes until next season.

In both cases, Tippett is gone. If it's inevitable then do it sooner so we have more time to evaluate if Holland needs to be replaced as well.

So Holland better drop the axe now while there's some hope of salvaging the season. Unless he wants to get the pink slip too.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797565 is a reply to message #797562 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 15:09

If the Oilers were a piece of software or a computer that is broken, you start with the smallest likely part or the one with the least dependencies that has the most immediate impact replace it first.

Replacing Holland means you will then need to replace the coach (every GM wants THEIR guy) AND then you need to change the roster. So chances are you aren't seeing any fixes until next season.

In both cases, Tippett is gone. If it's inevitable then do it sooner so we have more time to evaluate if Holland needs to be replaced as well.

So Holland better drop the axe now while there's some hope of salvaging the season. Unless he wants to get the pink slip too.

I actually hate that cliché that the GM needs his own coach. The GM should have the best coach possible in the role. If that coach was hired by someone else, it shouldn't matter. I think the same thing about GMs favouring their own draft picks over their predecessor. If you're not able to get your ego out of the way when running the team, for fear that someone else gets some of the credit if your team wins, then you shouldn't be the GM. Credit doesn't really matter - it's all fleeting anyhow. All that matters is who actually wins Cups, so do whatever you need to and use whatever tools are available to get there. I doubt any Cup-winning GM has ever lost a lot of sleep over someone in media or some pocket of fans saying someone else should get some share of credit for the success. Your predecessor doesn't get a Cup ring (unless Edmonton were to win it, and then there could be several of the predecessors in upper management but that's an anomaly.)

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797566 is a reply to message #797565 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 14:18

I actually hate that cliché that the GM needs his own coach. The GM should have the best coach possible in the role. If that coach was hired by someone else, it shouldn't matter. I think the same thing about GMs favouring their own draft picks over their predecessor. If you're not able to get your ego out of the way when running the team, for fear that someone else gets some of the credit if your team wins, then you shouldn't be the GM. Credit doesn't really matter - it's all fleeting anyhow. All that matters is who actually wins Cups, so do whatever you need to and use whatever tools are available to get there. I doubt any Cup-winning GM has ever lost a lot of sleep over someone in media or some pocket of fans saying someone else should get some share of credit for the success. Your predecessor doesn't get a Cup ring (unless Edmonton were to win it, and then there could be several of the predecessors in upper management but that's an anomaly.)

I don't think many people would float the idea that Tippett is the best guy for the role. He's been better than alot of the guys we've had before, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797577 is a reply to message #797566 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 15:26

I don't think many people would float the idea that Tippett is the best guy for the role. He's been better than alot of the guys we've had before, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Ha ha ha...no argument there. Dave Tippett needs to go.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797578 is a reply to message #797566 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Yeah i'd say it's unlikely in a scenario where a GM is getting fired that he has the "best guy" as his coach. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797588 is a reply to message #797578 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 16:07

Yeah i'd say it's unlikely in a scenario where a GM is getting fired that he has the "best guy" as his coach. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Actually, there is a potential for a painful situation with the Oilers here.

We could see the team fire Tippett, hire Babcock, give him a high salary relative to his peers (after all, Stanley Cup, Gold Medal, etc. etc.) and a multi-year term and then move on from Ken Holland in a year or so and be stuck with Babcock as a result...

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797581 is a reply to message #797550 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

The Edmonton media will definitely be making that argument once Tippett is inevitably fired. The Cult of Hockey is just sitting there for you to get on board Pi icon_wink

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797582 is a reply to message #797581 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 16:30

The Edmonton media will definitely be making that argument once Tippett is inevitably fired. The Cult of Hockey is just sitting there for you to get on board Pi icon_wink

Well, one lucky reporter will get the opportunity to get on board with this argument 12 hours before the rest of them, but yeah. Let's go Cult of Hockey!

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797545 is a reply to message #797539 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It sure doesn't magically get fixed. we had to wait 3 years to get out of the Chia hole. Holland just put the team in a similar spot. Maybe slightly less term on the bad deals, but the buyouts will be there for a long time and the team is no closer to winning a cup. somebody else deserves a shot at getting McD a championship roster. Either a new group in Edmonton, or a new team.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797551 is a reply to message #797545 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 11:41

It sure doesn't magically get fixed. we had to wait 3 years to get out of the Chia hole. Holland just put the team in a similar spot. Maybe slightly less term on the bad deals, but the buyouts will be there for a long time and the team is no closer to winning a cup. somebody else deserves a shot at getting McD a championship roster. Either a new group in Edmonton, or a new team.

Assuming that we got strong replacements for them - which is a big assumption - there are some things a competent GM could do to move things forward quickly. Barrie's contract isn't awful, and he was the highest scoring defenceman in the league last year. I think someone might be convinced to take him and to even give an asset back. Kassian too is likely moveable because everyone is stuck on finding Tom Wilson-esque players and while I don't think Kassian is that - I think you could fool someone in to thinking so.

With goaltending, obviously, Koskinen shouldn't be re-signed. I'm not sold on Skinner yet, and I would be leaning on Smith to retire or to move to LTIR permanently and then starting from scratch on goaltending. If Skinner is the back-up, I can live with that but there's no one in the organization who should be the starting netminder next year.

I'd seriously consider trying to convince Duncan Keith that he's done too. He's not been dreadful, but he's one of the most expensive third pairing defencemen in the league. We can replace his contributions at a fraction of the price (and not with another Kris Russell deal. You don't have full control here if he's not willing to go - it's harder to force that compared to Mike Smith - but I still think it's worth the effort.

So far, Holland hasn't given away next year's picks yet. We also have some defence prospects where there should be a decision made. We are not going to graduate all of Broberg, Niemelainen and Samorukov to the big leagues in the next year or so and that's the window for most of them - at least the window in which they'll have trade value. Figure out who the ones we want to keep are and if we can even keep two of them, and then trade whichever one(s) we rank below. The Oilers make this mistake all the time with prospects - hanging on to them beyond when they have value even when they clearly don't have room for them or the organization doesn't really like them. We've had a couple of these defencemen gluts in the past few years, and we have had guys like Schremp and Omark where the team spent more time trying to convince the fans that they weren't good enough rather than dealing them when they absolutely could have got something for them. We can't make that mistake again - and the priority should be the team now, over the team of the future if there's a push and pull there. If the idea is that the window to win is rather narrow - maybe as short as 3-4 years - then you need to make sure that we're a constant contender, even if that means sacrificing some opportunity later. After McDavid is gone is always going to see a drop-off, so win while you can.

Besides, winning will bring options. Guys like Panarin chose Chicago or Guentzel chose Pittsburgh over other suitors because they believe they have a great chance to win with those teams. The draft is not the only way to build a team - and if you build somewhere people want to play (rather than a tragic comedy of errors where careers go to die) then there will be opportunities.

I'd also think you need to start taking a Bill Belichick approach to cap management - players need to know that their is more to their decision than just what is the bottom line dollars offered - and the goal here is to win a Cup in the next couple years, so get on board and be part of it...even if you're leaving money on the table. It's just such a better argument anyhow compared to just hoping you have the top bid when there's maybe 20 other teams bidding on the same player. I don't think the Oilers have been particularly innovative in how they approach the market and bring in players. I mean, even where we try, we have no follow-through, like when they hired the person to help players fit in to the community, find schools for kids, etc. and then fired her so we could save the $50K per year.

There are things that could be done to turn this team around relatively quickly, and I wonder if you don't just get an immediate bump from the dissipation of the dark cloud that management has enveloped the team in for the last 15 years. I've said it a million times, but incompetent management creates a toxic culture that permeates the whole organization. Those guys all gone? The fresh air alone might see the team improve.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797592 is a reply to message #797551 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfann  is currently offline Oilfann

No Cups

Just out of Curiosity. If we had a GM that could win a trade, what could we get for Connor and Leon? Just thinking about the Lindros deal. Not saying I would trade them. Just think it would be a huge haul.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797595 is a reply to message #797592 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Oilfann wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 18:13

Just out of Curiosity. If we had a GM that could win a trade, what could we get for Connor and Leon? Just thinking about the Lindros deal. Not saying I would trade them. Just think it would be a huge haul.

Gosh, who cares at that point. How many people are in for another rebuild? And most certainly a rebuild without a better player than 97/29.

Clean house or bust

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797596 is a reply to message #797595 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfann  is currently offline Oilfann

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 02:50

Gosh, who cares at that point. How many people are in for another rebuild? And most certainly a rebuild without a better player than 97/29.

Like I said. It's not something I would do but it worked out pretty good for a team after the Lindros trade. Unlike alot of ppl posting on this thread, I will be an Oiler fan until the end. I love players but I cheer for the team. I could have bolted when Gretzky was traded and many others I cheered for after. But I didn't and I won't. I've seen 5 cups which is more than most Leaf fans alive today who stick with their team no matter what.

Again I wouldn't trade them. But we could prob get three first and 3 top prospects at least for McDavid and similar for Leon. With our firsts that's 9 in three years plus prob six top prospects. Pretty good haul. All on entry level contracts. Lol Enticing but I still prob wouldn't.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797597 is a reply to message #797596 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oilfann wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 20:04

Like I said. It's not something I would do but it worked out pretty good for a team after the Lindros trade. Unlike alot of ppl posting on this thread, I will be an Oiler fan until the end. I love players but I cheer for the team. I could have bolted when Gretzky was traded and many others I cheered for after. But I didn't and I won't. I've seen 5 cups which is more than most Leaf fans alive today who stick with their team no matter what.

Again I wouldn't trade them. But we could prob get three first and 3 top prospects at least for McDavid and similar for Leon. With our firsts that's 9 in three years plus prob six top prospects. Pretty good haul. All on entry level contracts. Lol Enticing but I still prob wouldn't.

As I said before, it only worked out for the Nordiques/Avalanche because they were lucky enough to get the right prospect in the trade. Here's the 1991 Top Ten:

1 Quebec Eric Lindros
2 San Jose Pat Falloon
3 New Jersey Scott Niedermayer
4 NY Islanders Scott Lachance
5 Winnipeg Aaron Ward
6 Philadelphia Peter Forsberg
7 Vancouver Alek Stojanov
8 Minnesota Richard Matvichuk
9 Hartford Patrick Poulin
10 Detroit Martin Lapointe

Remembering that the trade happened a year later and very few of these guys had even played a game, it's unlikely that the Nords knew just how good Forsberg was going to be. If they'd gotten anyone else in the top ten outside of Scott Niedermayer, then that trade is remembered completely differently. Hextall was traded a year later - while they got the pick that became Adam Deadmarsh in that deal, they also gave up the pick that became Todd Bertuzzi. Duchesne didn't last much longer with the Nords and got flipped to the Blues for Garth Butcher and Ron Sutter. Huffman got claimed off waivers two years after the deal. Mike Ricci was decent, but not good enough that you'd be happy if he was the centerpiece of a Lindros trade. And Chris Simon was a serviceable 4th liner for two seasons before getting traded for Keith Jones and picks.

The Avs were going to be good no matter what happened in that trade. They managed to lose the Sundin trade badly and barely missed a beat despite that. Forsberg was a star and makes that deal look good, but it could have easily gone the other way.

Worth noting how badly most superstar trades have gone. Gretzky deals were all terrible with the picks and prospects pretty much never panning out. Jagr deals were the same. Not a lot of great trades of superstars for a big package where you later would pick the package.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797598 is a reply to message #797596 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oilfann wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 20:04

If a team is trading for McDavid, they either have to have the cap space available or will need to clear the cap space. I believe they would immediately be in win now mode so they wouldn't want to trade their best player(s) or the best / cheapest prospect. If the Oilers are trading their going into full rebuild and will be looking to save money. I can't imagine the Oilers would want to be a cap team or would be competitive for two years after.

The Rangers might be a good option. They've got a bunch of mid tier offensive players and maybe an extra goalie. So Filip Cytil, Lefreniere, Georgiev, Lingren or Nemeth? Maybe Kaapo Kaako? Throw in a few draft picks and bob's your uncle, you've got a mega deal.

Just looking at a couple cap situations I think I would expect at least three players on 2nd contracts coming back. I'd want 4 picks. I think the Oilers might have to retain salary.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797608 is a reply to message #797598 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 21:40

If a team is trading for McDavid, they either have to have the cap space available or will need to clear the cap space. I believe they would immediately be in win now mode so they wouldn't want to trade their best player(s) or the best / cheapest prospect. If the Oilers are trading their going into full rebuild and will be looking to save money. I can't imagine the Oilers would want to be a cap team or would be competitive for two years after.

The Rangers might be a good option. They've got a bunch of mid tier offensive players and maybe an extra goalie. So Filip Cytil, Lefreniere, Georgiev, Lingren or Nemeth? Maybe Kaapo Kaako? Throw in a few draft picks and bob's your uncle, you've got a mega deal.

Just looking at a couple cap situations I think I would expect at least three players on 2nd contracts coming back. I'd want 4 picks. I think the Oilers might have to retain salary.

Ha ha ha...can you imagine watching McDavid win a Cup with another team while we're continuing to pay some of his salary? Good lord.

I have to say, the last few years definitely make you appreciate Sather's contributions to the 80s Oilers even more.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797610 is a reply to message #797608 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 10:13

Ha ha ha...can you imagine watching McDavid win a Cup with another team while we're continuing to pay some of his salary? Good lord.

I have to say, the last few years definitely make you appreciate Sather's contributions to the 80s Oilers even more.

I'm more and more impressed by his 90s rebuild. One rebuild was all it took to make a good team that was a joy to watch. Post Sather has had three definable rebuild eras (Gagne & Cogliano, Hall & Eberle, McDavid & Draisaitl) plus at least an equal number of false starts in the middle and we know where that's got the team.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #797621 is a reply to message #797610 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 10:48

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 10:13

I'm more and more impressed by his 90s rebuild. One rebuild was all it took to make a good team that was a joy to watch. Post Sather has had three definable rebuild eras (Gagne & Cogliano, Hall & Eberle, McDavid & Draisaitl) plus at least an equal number of false starts in the middle and we know where that's got the team.

And that 90s rebuild was in the David & Goliath era when we were up against teams with literally three times our payroll - and with an owner who was desperate for money for a good portion of that time and was taking cash instead of players in some of the trades.

Re: I fear the worse in now reality - McD will be gone [message #798232 is a reply to message #797490 ]
Mon, 24 January 2022 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

A pretty good read from on of my favorites Stan Fischler weighing in on McDavid. The rest is pretty interesting too.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/fischler-report-move-on-conno r

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Jeff Petry's Triumphant Return
Next Topic:Projected Playoff Roster
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca