Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » All Star Team Selection Process
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 All Star Team Selection Process [message #797393]
Fri, 14 January 2022 23:40 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Should EVERY Team Have Min. 1 Player?[ 31 vote(s) ]
1.Yes, ONE Player Minimum.. ParticipAction Baby! Equal Outcomes for All! 9 / 29%
2.No, The All Star Game should include the BEST Regardless of Team Representation 22 / 71%

Should EVERY Team have a MINIMUM ONE Player in the All Game?

This was brought up by McKinnon recently after their leading scorer, Kadri was left off.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #797400 is a reply to message #797393 ]
Sat, 15 January 2022 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 14 January 2022 23:40

This was brought up by McKinnon recently after their leading scorer, Kadri was left off.

The purpose of the game is really to showcase talent from markets they want to recover or emerge. Since it's more or less nothing event to me, I'm good with participation from all clubs. Otherwise some teams would rarely have participants and fans check out. Fans who understand the game know who the best players are, and what accolades for players really are, being SC rings and other playoff hardware.

I don't remember a 6 team league, but I think the game at some point was allstars vs the previous year's SC champion.

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #797405 is a reply to message #797400 ]
Sat, 15 January 2022 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 15 January 2022 13:34

The purpose of the game is really to showcase talent from markets they want to recover or emerge. Since it's more or less nothing event to me, I'm good with participation from all clubs. Otherwise some teams would rarely have participants and fans check out. Fans who understand the game know who the best players are, and what accolades for players really are, being SC rings and other playoff hardware.

I don't remember a 6 team league, but I think the game at some point was allstars vs the previous year's SC champion.

It's not quite the event it once was, and I think part of that is that it's so watered down. In a 21 team league, having someone from every team wasn't that hard to accommodate (and I don't think the league always did it back then) but in a 32 team league? That doesn't leave a lot of room.

It's not even a real game though now - just a scrimmage with incomplete teams and a hundred breakaways. I think it's pretty much irrelevant other than a weekend for schmoozing the sponsors and a few days off for the players lucky enough to not be selected.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #797500 is a reply to message #797393 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Honestly, I find it hard to form a real opinion about the All-Star Game, because I just don't care about it. Especially this year, it feels crazy to be hosting it - seems like the perfect way to ensure all 32 teams simultaneously have another COVID outbreak and that the league is forced into another 2 week shutdown.

Given the NHL yanked the Olympics away from the players, in their position, I would feel absolutely no obligation to attend this spectacle, especially this year. I wouldn't fault Connor and Leon and all if they got "banged up" the week of the All-Star Game and didn't go.

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #797505 is a reply to message #797500 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Veteran game should be the best of the best. If you don't like being snubbed, get better players.

Rookie game should be one per team.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #797509 is a reply to message #797505 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 16:11

Veteran game should be the best of the best. If you don't like being snubbed, get better players.

Agree.

The days when Horcoff was an "All-star" was a mockery. It was an embarrassment to the Oiler fan base as well.. like the franchise was being mocked by the NHL.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #797612 is a reply to message #797509 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 17:56

Agree.

The days when Horcoff was an "All-star" was a mockery. It was an embarrassment to the Oiler fan base as well.. like the franchise was being mocked by the NHL.

So in 2008 ( his only ASG) when Horcoff was almost a point per game at the break and everyone was calling him scorecoff he didn't deserve to go. Come on man. This current team could use a Horcoff.

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #797619 is a reply to message #797612 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Yeah, a solid 3rd line center is a big piece.

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #797682 is a reply to message #797612 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 11:22

Agree.

So in 2008 ( his only ASG) when Horcoff was almost a point per game at the break and everyone was calling him scorecoff he didn't deserve to go. Come on man. This current team could use a Horcoff.

I think proven drug cheat Shawn Horcoff should have an asterisk next to his all-star game appearance.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #797683 is a reply to message #797682 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 22:58

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 11:22

Agree.

I think proven drug cheat Shawn Horcoff should have an asterisk next to his all-star game appearance.

In fairness the NHLs substance abuse program should have an asterisk next to it too. The NHL will only punish players it deems expendable. You will never see a big star flagged. NHL is too hush hush. Case and point Evgeny Kuznetsov. IIHF was the only ones to test him. Only after pictures of him doing blow were everywhere. NHL suspended him 3 games for getting caught.

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #799128 is a reply to message #797683 ]
Sat, 05 February 2022 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Fastest skater competition 2022 All-Star Game. Connor is slipping. He used to win this one easily.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/complete-results-2022-n hl-star-skills-competition/

• Kyle Connor, Winnipeg Jets - 13.851 seconds
• Adrian Kempe, Los Angeles Kings - 13.585 seconds
• Chris Kreider, NY Rangers - 13.664 seconds
• Evgeny Kuznetsov, Washington Capitals - 14.559 seconds
• Jordan Kyrou, St. Louis Blues - 13.550 seconds
• Dylan Larkin, Detroit Red Wings - 14.116 seconds
• Cale Makar, Colorado Avalanche - 13.834 seconds
• Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers - 13.690 seconds

Don't know why they would list this one in alphabetical order. Just to make McDavid look bad? Oh well, on this day Connor was fourth fastest. On another day he probably finishes higher.

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #799129 is a reply to message #799128 ]
Sat, 05 February 2022 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Well, Giordano did intentionally explode his knee.

Fortunately, I haven't noticed McDavid being slower in games. I do think he's gotten even better on his edges. The only guy that's even close to Connor's edge work is Cale Makar

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #799130 is a reply to message #799129 ]
Sat, 05 February 2022 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 05 February 2022 11:43

Fortunately, I haven't noticed McDavid being slower in games. I do think he's gotten even better on his edges. The only guy that's even close to Connor's edge work is Cale Makar

They should somehow have a competition for fastest skater while controlling a puck and making a memorable play. I don't think that would be close.

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #799131 is a reply to message #799129 ]
Sat, 05 February 2022 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 05 February 2022 11:43

I suspect that he cares less than he once did about this.

It’s a bit dangerous going full out around the rink and it’s a meaningless competition.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #799136 is a reply to message #799128 ]
Sat, 05 February 2022 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sat, 05 February 2022 08:30

Fastest skater competition 2022 All-Star Game. Connor is slipping. He used to win this one easily.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/complete-results-2022-n hl-star-skills-competition/

• Kyle Connor, Winnipeg Jets - 13.851 seconds
• Adrian Kempe, Los Angeles Kings - 13.585 seconds
• Chris Kreider, NY Rangers - 13.664 seconds
• Evgeny Kuznetsov, Washington Capitals - 14.559 seconds
• Jordan Kyrou, St. Louis Blues - 13.550 seconds
• Dylan Larkin, Detroit Red Wings - 14.116 seconds
• Cale Makar, Colorado Avalanche - 13.834 seconds
• Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers - 13.690 seconds

Don't know why they would list this one in alphabetical order. Just to make McDavid look bad? Oh well, on this day Connor was fourth fastest. On another day he probably finishes higher.

I think Connor just wanted to get out of that promo snooze-fest as soon as he could.. NHLPA obligation fullfilled.. he barely put in an effort in the mini-game either..

Done and dusted.. no injuries.. get on the plane and get home.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 February 2022 17:14]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #799139 is a reply to message #797393 ]
Sat, 05 February 2022 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oh the Allstar stuff is done already?

Sure the star players are so happy they still had time for this with no Olympics.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #799147 is a reply to message #799139 ]
Sat, 05 February 2022 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 05 February 2022 17:27

Sure the star players are so happy they still had time for this with no Olympics.

Hey what Vegas wants, Vegas gets..
These things are getting worse and worse each year.. no wonder guys aquire injuries to get out of it.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #799148 is a reply to message #799147 ]
Sat, 05 February 2022 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 05 February 2022 20:22

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 05 February 2022 17:27

Hey what Vegas wants, Vegas gets..
These things are getting worse and worse each year.. no wonder guys aquire injuries to get out of it.

I appreciate OV's yearly injury within a game or 2 of the allstar break. McDavid should start thinking about it

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #799151 is a reply to message #799139 ]
Sat, 05 February 2022 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 05 February 2022 18:27

The All-Star was always on the schedule. Just taking flights home now instead of to Beijing.

The ASG has never been about players enjoying themselves. It's a salary free game for the league to use for marketing and advertiser relations. It also gets a higher rating than nearly all other regular seasons games.

Players should (and for the most part do) just consider it another part of the job.

Re: All Star Team Selection Process [message #799170 is a reply to message #799151 ]
Sun, 06 February 2022 20:28 Go to previous message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 05 February 2022 22:12

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 05 February 2022 18:27

The All-Star was always on the schedule. Just taking flights home now instead of to Beijing.

The ASG has never been about players enjoying themselves. It's a salary free game for the league to use for marketing and advertiser relations. It also gets a higher rating than nearly all other regular seasons games.

Players should (and for the most part do) just consider it another part of the job.

Hope it's all worth it. Hard to quantify, but would think having the best at the Olympics is always a great way to promote the sport and try to get new people interested.

All I see is wise cracks from fans and disinterest from players on the ice with the all-star weekend. Having the smoke machine right next to the microphone for the skill comp interests was a nice touch though. Nice sound like someone blowing compressed air directly into your ear over and over. League just keeps upping their production values.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Previous Topic:The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault
Next Topic:Ducks hire Pat Verbeek as GM
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca