This day on November 29
None

Happy Birthday To: Lew19, Houndtown, aheadby1, rwilford, Lucky Luc 20, onintwo, Gimmetrades

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves!Pages (13): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790657 is a reply to message #790621 ]
Thu, 29 July 2021 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

1 Cup

Man, touchstone would have a field day with this site these days.
Wow.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790691 is a reply to message #790657 ]
Thu, 29 July 2021 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oiler76  is currently offline Oiler76

No Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Wed, 28 July 2021 23:40

Man, touchstone would have a field day with this site these days.
Wow.

Touchstone! lol that was epic icon_lol

" The Vancouver Canucks: Celebrating Second Round Losses for 50 years!"

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790692 is a reply to message #790587 ]
Thu, 29 July 2021 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 28 July 2021 14:08

Interesting if we are going out of our way to get McDavid's buddies on the team. Hey, at least that might mean McDAvid stays even if we suck for 4 more years cause it'll be partially his fault! :)

Oh, so now we decide to go all in on McDavid's buddies. Here's hoping Benson can score 40 one day.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790730 is a reply to message #790692 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 29 July 2021 15:42

Interesting if we are going out of our way to get McDavid's buddies on the team. Hey, at least that might mean McDAvid stays even if we suck for 4 more years cause it'll be partially his fault! :)

Oh, so now we decide to go all in on McDavid's buddies. Here's hoping Benson can score 40 one day.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/ed monton-oilers-star-players-pushed-hard-to-get-barrie-back

Looks like our stars were all pushing for Barrie to be back. Considering how we just got all of McDavid's training group, I imagine this pressure was on Holland as well.

So, more happiness to be had by the players in how Holland is constructing the team this summer. Should be a huge load of positive energy in that dressing room!

I feel like we are embarking on a slightly different way to build a team. Or does this fall under the category of heavily valuing intangibles like usual?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790732 is a reply to message #790730 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 10:36

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/ed monton-oilers-star-players-pushed-hard-to-get-barrie-back

Looks like our stars were all pushing for Barrie to be back. Considering how we just got all of McDavid's training group, I imagine this pressure was on Holland as well.

So, more happiness to be had by the players in how Holland is constructing the team this summer. Should be a huge load of positive energy in that dressing room!

I feel like we are embarking on a slightly different way to build a team. Or does this fall under the category of heavily valuing intangibles like usual?

Hey, if Barrie's numbers away from McDavid are horrible the solution seems obvious. Never play him away from McDavid.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790733 is a reply to message #790732 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 10:44

Hey, if Barrie's numbers away from McDavid are horrible the solution seems obvious. Never play him away from McDavid.

So important that we have a good 2nd and 3rd line this year. Larsson got absolute garbage forward help all year long because of the Nurse-Barrie pair getting all the time with our top line. I think our bottom 4 D are not going to be able to survive that no-McDavid ice time without solid 2nd/3rd lines.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790741 is a reply to message #790733 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 10:55

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 10:44

So important that we have a good 2nd and 3rd line this year. Larsson got absolute garbage forward help all year long because of the Nurse-Barrie pair getting all the time with our top line. I think our bottom 4 D are not going to be able to survive that no-McDavid ice time without solid 2nd/3rd lines.

I wonder how much that impacts the Oilers perceptions on Bear and Jones too...they would have played a lot more behind our terrible depth players than McDavid...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790734 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Serivalli saying CBJ and EDM discussing Korpisalo for Koskinen, Samorukov, and 1st

icon_dead

https://www.nhl.com/player/joonas-korpisalo-8476914?stats=ca reer-r-nhl&season=null

Korpisalo has had brutal regular seasons. Sub .900 3 of the last 4 years. But I'm sure we are fixated on his great 9 game run of 0.941 sav% in the single playoffs of his career.

I thought he was the goalie that swept the lightning, but no. His good playoffs was beating the Leafs in 5 and then losing to the LIghtning on the way to Tampa's first cup. Bobo was playing for his retirement deal in 2019 and got that sweep.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 July 2021 11:17]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790735 is a reply to message #790734 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 11:12

Serivalli saying CBJ and EDM discussing Korpisalo for Koskinen, Samorukov, and 1st

icon_dead

https://www.nhl.com/player/joonas-korpisalo-8476914?stats=ca reer-r-nhl&season=null

Korpisalo has had brutal regular seasons. Sub .900 3 of the last 4 years. But I'm sure we are fixated on his great 9 game run of 0.941 sav% in the single playoffs of his career.

I thought he was the goalie that swept the lightning, but no. His good playoffs was beating the Leafs in 5 and then losing to the LIghtning on the way to Tampa's first cup.

I know Korpisalo is a big name, but I do worry that he would be a giant disappointment to a lot of people. He has some shine on him that has inexplicably powered him through some disappointing seasons, and Columbus seems more confident in Elvis at this point than Joonas. His save percentages are worse than Koskinen. That's a heavy price for a goalie with red flags.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790736 is a reply to message #790735 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 11:18

icon_dead

I thought he was the goalie that swept the lightning, but no. His good playoffs was beating the Leafs in 5 and then losing to the LIghtning on the way to Tampa's first cup.

I know Korpisalo is a big name, but I do worry that he would be a giant disappointment to a lot of people. He has some shine on him that has inexplicably powered him through some disappointing seasons, and Columbus seems more confident in Elvis at this point than Joonas. His save percentages are worse than Koskinen. That's a heavy price for a goalie with red flags.

Really really have to trust the scouts here to have a good read on Korpisalo. Again we are trusting a guy to somehow do stuff better here than he has been on another team.

We also would save 2.2M of cap space if we don't retain which could mean another forward upgrade.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790737 is a reply to message #790736 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 11:24

icon_dead

Really really have to trust the scouts here to have a good read on Korpisalo. Again we are trusting a guy to somehow do stuff better here than he has been on another team.

We also would save 2.2M of cap space if we don't retain which could mean another forward upgrade.

I'm gonna call it now that we are definitely retaining.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790740 is a reply to message #790737 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 10:46

Do you think you can just squeeze teams in this league? You can't. If you don't want to retain salary, the price goes up. Could be 4 1st rounders. Maybe 5. Maybe 10. Who knows, but the price goes up. You think you can just dump salary for free? Next you'll be suggesting the Oilers should get a defensive prospect and a 3rd back.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790744 is a reply to message #790737 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 11:46

icon_dead

I’d really like to see a way to get Ryan Murray in this deal. Probably a pipe dream.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790747 is a reply to message #790744 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 13:46

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 11:46

icon_dead

I’d really like to see a way to get Ryan Murray in this deal. Probably a pipe dream.

I believe he's a UFA, is he not?

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790738 is a reply to message #790736 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

snip

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol rofl rofl rofl lmao lmao lmao

We have scouts?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790739 is a reply to message #790738 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 12:18

snip

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol rofl rofl rofl lmao lmao lmao

We have scouts?

We do! And we must trust them to continue their winning streak of finding guys that played badly, sometimes for many years in a row, that will just flip the switch for the Oilers and become good.

https://media.tenor.com/images/910b8e9a7da15196d910fc3c1727dae0/tenor.gif

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790745 is a reply to message #790736 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

icon_dead

If the Oilers do this deal then either:

A) They just want to show that they're doing something different, and haven't spent any time on whether different is better, or;
B) Ken Holland is intentionally trying to ruin the Oilers.

Once upon a time, I believed that one of the Columbus guys might be a good pickup. Korpisalo has since shown himself to be not a good pickup though. His numbers are awful, and he's 27 - it's not like he's 21 and on the upswing. We'd get a guy 5 years younger, and save a bit of money, but man...that is not a solution.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790746 is a reply to message #790745 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Wow. Korpisalo has horrible numbers. Did not know that. Yikes.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790748 is a reply to message #790746 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 13:54

Wow. Korpisalo has horrible numbers. Did not know that. Yikes.

I wonder if the Oilers aren't more concerned with the optics that they're doing SOMETHING than they are with doing the right things? There's clearly concerns in proceeding with the same tandem, so this would be something different, and the everyday fan might not check his underlying numbers and may just believe the team wouldn't do something stupid without doing their homework first...

I can't think why you'd even get to the point of a rumour starting if they're looking for that kind of price on a guy who's numbers make our guys look good...

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790750 is a reply to message #790748 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burgeoboy  is currently offline Burgeoboy

No Cups

I was wondering last night what that exact package would get us for a goalie upgrade, I hope this isn’t the answer ….

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790753 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Why is we know virtually every detail of upcoming trades days in advance? Is Frank Seravalli psychic? Is there a secretary at OEG offices that listens into every phone call from Holland?

I just don't believe that Ryan Rishaug is SO dialed in that he was talking up the idea of trading Ethan Bear a day in advance (probably more, but that's when I heard him).

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790754 is a reply to message #790753 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 15:35

Why is we know virtually every detail of upcoming trades days in advance? Is Frank Seravalli psychic? Is there a secretary at OEG offices that listens into every phone call from Holland?

I just don't believe that Ryan Rishaug is SO dialed in that he was talking up the idea of trading Ethan Bear a day in advance (probably more, but that's when I heard him).

They want to confirm how mad fans that pay attention will be about each move. More anger = more desire to do it.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790755 is a reply to message #790753 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 15:35

The Oilers management don't believe the opposition are the other team's GMs. Those are their pals, their peers, almost like their co-workers. Everyone is really there to help each other out, like when they helped Nicholson and Holland find each other.

They believe their true opponents are the fans - especially that category of fan who criticizes their moves, and uses social media to publish those critiques, reaching more people and potentially riling up the rest of the fanbase against them. You'll note, in recent press conferences, it is very clear that Holland knows what the online views of many of his moves are, and how rankled he is by the fact they're out there.

Once upon a time, the published opinions on the team were really only the assembled media, most of whom can be won over with the promise of access. You'd have the occasional hard case like Bob Stauffer who showed no deference to the team and wasn't afraid of having his access restricted, but even then, you just give him his dream job and he'll happily toe the line. But now, between twitter, blogs and other social media, the critics are getting louder, and they have more influence than they once did. Can't make them all part of the broadcast team. So they start leaking stuff early in an attempt to control the narrative. Try to suggest ahead of time, in "rumours" what they're thinking of doing, and then maybe you'll have enough people convinced that it's a good thing before those damn nerds in their basements start squawking.

Of course, it's a failure of a strategy. The critics just criticize the rumours now, and everyone should know by now that the Oilers are feeding Rishaug (and a couple others) for the promise of favourable coverage. You spend time blasting the idea of a Keith trade instead of just dismissing it as rumour because you can tell so easily where the rumour has come from - especially in that one where they published the initial asks of both teams (and suspiciously, no proposals from any other team).

In short, because we're a joke of a franchise, they leak constantly with zero strategy behind it other than how it might impact the fanbase. Idiots.

Why Seravalli got all the Seattle picks early? That's a whole different story. Someone must have owed him a favour and decided to help him. I'm not sure if his new gig is much of an opportunity so maybe he's trying to make people know he's super-connected and then hoping they'll make him the next Elliotte Friedman on one of the networks...

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790756 is a reply to message #790755 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

So we spend the better part of a decade building up our D pipeline, and then we flush away Jones, Bear, and now maybe Samorukov in a couple of weeks? I’m really starting to think we are all being trolled. They really cannot be this dumb. There was literally over a dozen better options available in free agency. A bunch more with cheap trades. Keith wanting to come here has just sent them all into a loop.

Let me be clear - I’m fine giving up Samorukov and a 1st for an UPGRADE in goal, but it has to be an upgrade. Not more of the same.

This package to Seattle for Vinacek would have been pretty good (they sent him back to Washington for a 2nd I think).

I’m going to have to avoid NHL news for a few weeks I think.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790757 is a reply to message #790756 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 16:17

So we spend the better part of a decade building up our D pipeline, and then we flush away Jones, Bear, and now maybe Samorukov in a couple of weeks? I’m really starting to think we are all being trolled. They really cannot be this dumb. There was literally over a dozen better options available in free agency. A bunch more with cheap trades. Keith wanting to come here has just sent them all into a loop.

Let me be clear - I’m fine giving up Samorukov and a 1st for an UPGRADE in goal, but it has to be an upgrade. Not more of the same.

This package to Seattle for Vinacek would have been pretty good (they sent him back to Washington for a 2nd I think).

Guaranteed that within a couple of years we're going to hear about the cupboards being bare for the Oilers on defence, and the need to really stockpile good young defencemen...

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790758 is a reply to message #790757 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 19:19

Guaranteed that within a couple of years we're going to hear about the cupboards being bare for the Oilers on defence, and the need to really stockpile good young defencemen...

If it would lead to at least one Cup, I would be all for it. Sadly I don’t see these moves turning us into a contender. Playoff team? Sure, but mostly because we are in a weak ass division. But this team ain’t getting by Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Colorado. And THAT needs to be the objective, not just squeaking in to the playoffs.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790760 is a reply to message #790758 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 16:29

Adam wrote on Fri, 30 July 2021 19:19

If it would lead to at least one Cup, I would be all for it. Sadly I don’t see these moves turning us into a contender. Playoff team? Sure, but mostly because we are in a weak ass division. But this team ain’t getting by Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Colorado. And THAT needs to be the objective, not just squeaking in to the playoffs.

Hey, if Korpisalo channels the best couple weeks of his life and then plays at that level over two months, we would have a real shot...

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #790761 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Fri, 30 July 2021 17:34 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug

Korpisalo for Koskinen and a high pick or prospect is not something the organization is considering at the moment. Have a great long weekend everyone!

Frank miss the mark for the first time in a month? I'd be scared if it was Gregor insisting it's not happening, but maybe Rishaug is in the know a bit.

side note, Georgiev has asked for a trade according to Seravalli. Seravalli might be running wild now though, drunk off his expansion draft success :) Georgiev's agent now out insisting no trade request has been made.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 July 2021 20:13]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Pages (13): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13]  
Previous Topic:Future NHL Cap Projections
Next Topic:Oilers and Tyson Barrie Closing in on Deal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca