This day on December 6
Acquired: Fredrik Olausson (1993)
Departed: Geoff Smith (1993)

Happy Birthday To: Walsh86, Kurri17, RaffiTorresFan14, RaffiTime, dongretzky99, thebaron, southsideoilers

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788118]
Tue, 22 June 2021 12:08 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Per Tom Gazzola’s twitter

Quote:

For the jersey geeks (like me), expect the Oilers to make the navy uniform the team's primary home look while sprinkling in some games using the orange next season. A return to royal blue could come after, perhaps with a modernized look. Haven't heard anything on reverse retros.

One concept I have seen thrown out there:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/82/1f/dc821f9ef8a2eef890386897be1c3f38.png

I’m pretty tired of them changing jerseys although I would probably prefer a navy blue to the current orange.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788119 is a reply to message #788118 ]
Tue, 22 June 2021 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

It sounded to me like they were rolling with the current navy jerseys, so if so, yuck. If they make them better, I'm intrigued.

The current navy jerseys are among the worst the Oilers have worn, and easily the worst of the four last year. I really hate how they are trying to force those on fans and boost sales.

Also will be highly disappointed if we don't get more than three games out of those beautiful Reverse Retros.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788121 is a reply to message #788119 ]
Tue, 22 June 2021 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 22 June 2021 11:14

It sounded to me like they were rolling with the current navy jerseys, so if so, yuck. If they make them better, I'm intrigued.

The current navy jerseys are among the worst the Oilers have worn, and easily the worst of the four last year. I really hate how they are trying to force those on fans and boost sales.

Also will be highly disappointed if we don't get more than three games out of those beautiful Reverse Retros.

Oh I see, yes I read it that way too now.

That would be the worst thing to happen…

Clean house or bust

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788123 is a reply to message #788119 ]
Tue, 22 June 2021 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 22 June 2021 12:14

Totally disagree. I think the current navy jerseys look amazing on the ice and also think the reverse retros are second worst in the team's history to only the navy pajama jerseys (2008-11).

Eye of the beholder, etc!

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788124 is a reply to message #788123 ]
Tue, 22 June 2021 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shooter  is currently offline Shooter

No Cups

Yeah, i dont get the hate for the current Navy/bright orange stripes/#s/logo

I think they look great!

Here's a free lesson......

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788125 is a reply to message #788123 ]
Tue, 22 June 2021 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Tue, 22 June 2021 13:11

Totally disagree. I think the current navy jerseys look amazing on the ice and also think the reverse retros are second worst in the team's history to only the navy pajama jerseys (2008-11).

I'll grant you that the orange pants and gloves do the jersey no favours for the Reverse Retros. Would look better against blue pants and gloves. But I think that jersey is fire.

Honestly, if they put a normal crest on the navys, it would have made a big difference. But watching on TV, the orange doesn't stand out enough at distance and, you can't even tell there is a crest on the front of the jersey. It all blends together and looks like a practice jersey. In-person and on-ice is slightly better than on TV, but the crest is still almost hidden into the rest of the jersey.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788130 is a reply to message #788125 ]
Tue, 22 June 2021 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 22 June 2021 13:21

I'll grant you that the orange pants and gloves do the jersey no favours for the Reverse Retros. Would look better against blue pants and gloves. But I think that jersey is fire.

Honestly, if they put a normal crest on the navys, it would have made a big difference. But watching on TV, the orange doesn't stand out enough at distance and, you can't even tell there is a crest on the front of the jersey. It all blends together and looks like a practice jersey. In-person and on-ice is slightly better than on TV, but the crest is still almost hidden into the rest of the jersey.

I agree with you on the two-tone navy uniforms. Among the worst the Oilers have ever worn.

The pants and gloves for the retros were terrible. Didn't mind the jersey itself.

According to Gregor on twitter, the players didn't like the outfit, and didn't want to wear it more, so it may really be 3 and done.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788132 is a reply to message #788123 ]
Tue, 22 June 2021 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I question your eyesight. Hahaha.

Three jersey's have killed my spirit. The 2 sets of pyjama jerseys and this terrible blue jersey we wore this season. This last rendition is better suited for a pair of blue jeans and is so far away from the jersey scheme I love.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788146 is a reply to message #788118 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

These navy ones are actually pretty slick in person, it’s the JP13 one I got. I greatly prefer it to the orange. That said, the entire kit is pretty bland. It will look a whole lot better with the letters H A L L on er soon tho 😏

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788148 is a reply to message #788146 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I don't care what jerseys they wear, just win.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788151 is a reply to message #788148 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 08:35

Although winning is first and foremost, part of the fan experience is seeing a nice jersey representing your team. A nice jersey can win over a new fan without ever seeing the product play on ice.

Our current atrocities would look better tucked into Wayne from Letterkenny's beltless blue jeans.

Oscar - I saw them on the ice and although better in person, they do not present well on TV. Most of the fan base will never see a live game. Oil marketing team must do better. Selling jerseys in Canada is like selling a shovel in Saskatchewan, during January. People will buy regardless, but shoot your shot on the 3rd jersey. If people love it, then maybe consider making the switch full-time.

The current Navy is not universally loved.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788153 is a reply to message #788151 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 08:59

Although winning is first and foremost, part of the fan experience is seeing a nice jersey representing your team. A nice jersey can win over a new fan without ever seeing the product play on ice.

Our current atrocities would look better tucked into Wayne from Letterkenny's beltless blue jeans.

Oscar - I saw them on the ice and although better in person, they do not present well on TV. Most of the fan base will never see a live game. Oil marketing team must do better. Selling jerseys in Canada is like selling a shovel in Saskatchewan, during January. People will buy regardless, but shoot your shot on the 3rd jersey. If people love it, then maybe consider making the switch full-time.

Yup nice jersey are cool to have but if they are losing, fans or new fans are probably not going to buy them. Everyone likes a winner.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788155 is a reply to message #788153 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 09:59

Yup nice jersey are cool to have but if they are losing, fans or new fans are probably not going to buy them. Everyone likes a winner.

I don't know - the midnight blues were released in the mid-90s when we hadn't won much for a while. The Spawn jersey in the early 2000s when all we ever did was lose to Dallas. The Sharks jerseys were among the league's most popular when they joined, despite being an absolutely terrible team.

I don't think winning and jersey sales are entirely connected.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788157 is a reply to message #788155 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 10:17

I don't know - the midnight blues were released in the mid-90s when we hadn't won much for a while. The Spawn jersey in the early 2000s when all we ever did was lose to Dallas. The Sharks jerseys were among the league's most popular when they joined, despite being an absolutely terrible team.

My original comment really wasn't about selling jerseys. I don't care what they wear, just win.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788158 is a reply to message #788157 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 10:37

My original comment really wasn't about selling jerseys. I don't care what they wear, just win.

Maybe you stumbled in to the wrong conversation then. This is a conversation about the jerseys, so if you don't care about them, then maybe not worth commenting on it. Especially if you're going to get annoyed about people responding to your comment.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788161 is a reply to message #788158 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 11:04

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 10:37

Maybe you stumbled in to the wrong conversation then. This is a conversation about the jerseys, so if you don't care about them, then maybe not worth commenting on it. Especially if you're going to get annoyed about people responding to your comment.

Not annoyed in the slightest but thanks for trying to dictate what I comment on.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788168 is a reply to message #788155 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

100%. Winning likely plays the least significant role in jersey sales. Colour. Design. Marketing. The navy jersey went 0 for 3, imo. Although slight, it does take away from my enjoyment on the overall package of the Oilers.

Bright side? I will not be spending $300 on this jersey and that is cash that can be directed to nice rum and cigars.

It's

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788172 is a reply to message #788146 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 08:32

These navy ones are actually pretty slick in person, it’s the JP13 one I got. I greatly prefer it to the orange. That said, the entire kit is pretty bland. It will look a whole lot better with the letters H A L L on er soon tho 😏

That Hall home Jersey to be authentic should probably be reinforced with armor to guard against whipping in case he doesn't light it up for the Oil...😏

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788174 is a reply to message #788172 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 12:28

That Hall home Jersey to be authentic should probably be reinforced with armor to guard against whipping in case he doesn't light it up for the Oil...😏

If Hall signs that throws a wrench into the big jersey retirement night doesn't it? Oilers vs. Rangers I assume.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788178 is a reply to message #788174 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 12:39

If Hall signs that throws a wrench into the big jersey retirement night doesn't it? Oilers vs. Rangers I assume.

No chance Lowe lets him have it. In fact, that may be one of the reasons the Oilers have apparently not pursued Hall last year in free agency or at the trade deadline. Much easier to take it off Kris Russell who no one cares about!

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788181 is a reply to message #788178 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 13:13

No chance Lowe lets him have it. In fact, that may be one of the reasons the Oilers have apparently not pursued Hall last year in free agency or at the trade deadline. Much easier to take it off Kris Russell who no one cares about!

Hall will be 19 (Koskinen being gone) or 91 if returns. The narrative will be, it worked for Jesse. Fresh start. New beginnings.

Lowe goes to the rafters and I miss my first jersey retirement night out of protest.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788187 is a reply to message #788181 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 14:07

Hall will be 19 (Koskinen being gone) or 91 if returns. The narrative will be, it worked for Jesse. Fresh start. New beginnings.

Lowe goes to the rafters and I miss my first jersey retirement night out of protest.

I'll attend if Lowe literally goes to the rafters with his #. 😁

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788188 is a reply to message #788187 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 15:37

I still wonder if there aren't a smattering of boos. You'll remember Lowe no-showed at the Messier ceremony to avoid being booed...

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788190 is a reply to message #788188 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 15:51

I still wonder if there aren't a smattering of boos. You'll remember Lowe no-showed at the Messier ceremony to avoid being booed...

If/when Lowe's jersey goes up, it's going up because of what he did as a player. But sadly, there will always be classless people who won't separate what he did as a player vs any beefs they may have with him in management

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788192 is a reply to message #788190 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 16:17

If/when Lowe's jersey goes up, it's going up because of what he did as a player. But sadly, there will always be classless people who won't separate what he did as a player vs any beefs they may have with him in management

Mostly because they're the same person.

This is fine.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788195 is a reply to message #788192 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 16:31

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 16:17

Mostly because they're the same person.

Wayne Gretzky, the greatest player of all time was a lousy NHL coach. So because he is the same person, that means you piss on his legacy as a hockey player?

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788199 is a reply to message #788195 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 15:52

Wayne Gretzky, the greatest player of all time was a lousy NHL coach. So because he is the same person, that means you piss on his legacy as a hockey player?

When Wayne Gretzky figured out he wasn't cutting it as a coach after just a few years, he moved on from the profession and the Coyotes.

Lowe failed upwards, hired all of his buddies, sunk the franchise, and wasted all of our time and money for two decades.

Clean house or bust

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788193 is a reply to message #788190 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

They just need to announce at the start of the ceremony

"Please let's all remember Kevin Lowe as the player, a 6 time Stanley Cup champion... not the manager"

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788196 is a reply to message #788190 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perkele  is currently offline Perkele

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 18:17

I think I would be tempted to boo the organization for retiring the number of a player that was never even the best defenseman on any Oilers team he was on, let alone one of the greatest in the league to warrant jersey retirement.

I don't think fans should be expected to ignore the fact that Kevin Lowe was/is the the architect of arguably the worst run sports franchise in the past 20 years, and one of the worst couple decades in NHL history, but even if we did, what did Kevin Lowe do as a player that makes him worthy of jersey retirement?

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788288 is a reply to message #788196 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 22:13 Go to previous message

2 Cups

Perkele wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 17:00

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 June 2021 18:17

I think I would be tempted to boo the organization for retiring the number of a player that was never even the best defenseman on any Oilers team he was on, let alone one of the greatest in the league to warrant jersey retirement.

I don't think fans should be expected to ignore the fact that Kevin Lowe was/is the the architect of arguably the worst run sports franchise in the past 20 years, and one of the worst couple decades in NHL history, but even if we did, what did Kevin Lowe do as a player that makes him worthy of jersey retirement?

He knows something about winning. I have no idea how Lowe made the HHOF and I can accept a jersey retirement based on past requirements to have your number being honoured, but I will in no way support this honour. Like I’ve said before, I’ve been to all of the previous jersey retirement nights and enjoyed the ceremonies. Messier night, not being my favourite as Lowe marred that evening for me, but it’s a special night for people in my age bracket and older. It was a special time to be an Oilers fan.

I will watch the game on TV. I will skip the ceremony. For all the good Lowe has done as a player, he’s been a bigger contributor to the demise of a once great franchise. He’s not worth paying $400 to boo.

Re: Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes [message #788273 is a reply to message #788118 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Happy they tossed the orange, no mojo, like navy as base colour, I'd like the current Navy better if they simply just exchanged the "orange" Oiler logo for the standard..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:Buyout Targets
Next Topic:RNH Contract Extension Making Progress
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca