This day on November 29
None

Happy Birthday To: Lew19, Houndtown, aheadby1, rwilford, Lucky Luc 20, onintwo, Gimmetrades

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Minors » 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782828]
Tue, 13 April 2021 14:12 Go to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

https://whl.ca/article/chl-announces-cancellation-of-the-202 1-memorial-cup

TORONTO – The Canadian Hockey League, in association with our three member leagues, the Western Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League, and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, has made the very difficult decision to cancel the 2021 Memorial Cup.

“The CHL is committed to the health and safety of our players, their families and billets, our teams, staff and officials, and the communities in which we play. That has driven all of our difficult decisions for the last year as we have dealt with this global pandemic,” said CHL President Dan MacKenzie. “The decision was made based on the limitations on travel, border restrictions, and quarantining requirements that would make it impossible to produce league champions.”

The Oil Kings have been doing very well this season and are strong at all positions.. Would have been fun watching them try to go as far as they could this year.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782846 is a reply to message #782828 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 13:12

TORONTO – The Canadian Hockey League, in association with our three member leagues, the Western Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League, and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, has made the very difficult decision to cancel the 2021 Memorial Cup.

“The CHL is committed to the health and safety of our players, their families and billets, our teams, staff and officials, and the communities in which we play. That has driven all of our difficult decisions for the last year as we have dealt with this global pandemic,” said CHL President Dan MacKenzie. “The decision was made based on the limitations on travel, border restrictions, and quarantining requirements that would make it impossible to produce league champions.”

The Oil Kings have been doing very well this season and are strong at all positions.. Would have been fun watching them try to go as far as they could this year.

Two years in a row, pretty sad, I went to the last one here in Vancouver, total blast, need to go again sometime.. that.. and a World Championship and/or WJHC over in Europe, on the list!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782850 is a reply to message #782846 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 18:33

Two years in a row, pretty sad, I went to the last one here in Vancouver, total blast, need to go again sometime.. that.. and a World Championship and/or WJHC over in Europe, on the list!

WJHC over in Europe would be absolutely amazing.

Went to a game in Bern in 2007. Regular season game against Zug. The barn was absolutely alive. Everyone standing. Chanting. I’m a big soccer fan, haven’t been to a European game, but the atmosphere was identical to what you see in European champions league games. Truly incredible. Would love to go back and a WJHC would be absolutely off the hook.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782853 is a reply to message #782850 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 17:54

Actually my fantasy would be Europe for 1. WJHC, 2. WHC, and .. 3. Davos for the Spengler, for the hattie!
I toured through Europe for the summer in 2015, drove through Davos, found the rink ! It would be an awesome time !

I think my preference for the WJHC would likely be the Czech Rep., and go party with the Latvians!

Went to a game in Bern in 2007. Regular season game against Zug. The barn was absolutely alive. Everyone standing. Chanting. I’m a big soccer fan, haven’t been to a European game, but the atmosphere was identical to what you see in European champions league games. Truly incredible. Would love to go back and a WJHC would be absolutely off the hook.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782854 is a reply to message #782850 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 17:54

Actually my fantasy would be Europe for 1. WJHC, 2. WHC, and .. 3. Davos for the Spengler, and hattie!
I toured through Europe for the summer back in 2015, drove through Davos, found the rink, looks awesome ! It would be an amazing time !

I think my preference for the WJHC would likely be the Czech Rep., and go party with the Latvians!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782858 is a reply to message #782854 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

I went to the WHC gold medal game in Cologne in 2017. Canada vs Sweden. Game was kinda meh, the result even more so, but the whole experience was one of my favourite sports days ever. It was a full morning/afternoon of “tailgating”. Met il with groups of Canadians who I’m still FB friends with, some friendly banter with the Swedes before the game. And the ticket was pretty cheap.

If things return to somewhat normal, I’ll definitely try to go see another. Definitely recommend going if you have a chance.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 April 2021 07:08]

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782860 is a reply to message #782858 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 03:48

I went to the WHC gold medal game in Cologne in 2017. Canada vs Sweden. Game was kinda meh, the result even more so, but the whole experience was one of my favourite sports days ever. It was a full morning/afternoon of “tailgating”. Met il with groups of Canadians who I’m still FB friends with, some friendly banter with the Swedes before the game. And the ticket was pretty cheap.

If things return to somewhat normal, I’ll definitely try to go see another. Definitely recommend going if you have a chance.

I think going to see the WJHC in Europe would be the only chance I get to see one.. when they have them over here now, if the host city has a CHL team, the seasons ticket holders for the home CHL team get first chance to buy the majority of tickets (they did that here in Vancouver with the Giants), which they all buy since they can always re-sell for more. They hold a small portion left over as a "lottery" for the rest of Canada, minus of course all the tickets held out for visiting teams and fans, plus Hockey Canada friends/dignitaries.

In summary you can't get a retail ticket in Canada, and if you locate any scalped tickets, its a stupid.

Go to Europe, the WHJC aren't as big over there, tickets are a fraction of the cost, and readily available, especially Team Canada! If TC is in the gold medal game you can probably get tickets, as long as the host country isn't in it! ; which is another reason to go to a WJHC in Czech, not likely to be in the Gold medal game!
For the cost of tournament tickets in Canada (if you could actually get them!), you can likely fly to Europe return!

[Updated on: Wed, 14 April 2021 08:14]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782861 is a reply to message #782860 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 11:10

I think going to see the WJHC in Europe would be the only chance I get to see one.. when they have them over here now, if the host city has a CHL team, the seasons ticket holders for the home CHL team get first chance to buy the majority of tickets (they did that here in Vancouver with the Giants), and then a small portion left over for a "lottery" for rest of Canada, minus of course all the tickets held out for visiting teams and fans, plus Hockey Canada friends/dignitaries.

In summary you can't get a retail ticket in Canada, and if you locate any scalped tickets, its a stupid.

Go to Europe, the WHJC aren't a as big over there, tickets are a fraction of the cost, and readily available, especially Team Canada! If TC is in the gold medal game you can probably easily get tickets, as long as the host country isn't in it! Which is another reason to go to a WJHC in Czech!
For the cost of tournament tickets in Canada (if you could actually get them!), you can likely fly to Europe return!

Yeah, I recall someone had posted something like that a few years ago about the WJHC - They were able to get a cheap flight to Europe, a cheap hotel, plus full tournament ticket for less than what they had paid just the cost of tickets in Canada (for team Canada) the previous year.

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782862 is a reply to message #782861 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 07:20

I think going to see the WJHC in Europe would be the only chance I get to see one.. when they have them over here now, if the host city has a CHL team, the seasons ticket holders for the home CHL team get first chance to buy the majority of tickets (they did that here in Vancouver with the Giants), and then a small portion left over for a "lottery" for rest of Canada, minus of course all the tickets held out for visiting teams and fans, plus Hockey Canada friends/dignitaries.

Go to Europe, the WHJC aren't a as big over there, tickets are a fraction of the cost, and readily available, especially Team Canada! If TC is in the gold medal game you can probably easily get tickets, as long as the host country isn't in it! Which is another reason to go to a WJHC in Czech!

Yeah, I recall someone had posted something like that a few years ago about the WJHC - They were able to get a cheap flight to Europe, a cheap hotel, plus full tournament ticket for less than what they had paid just the cost of tickets in Canada (for team Canada) the previous year.

Sounds like a plan! 🛫🌏👍🏻🍁

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782864 is a reply to message #782862 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 11:32

Sweden next year, Russia the year after, then Canada, USA, Canada, and Finland in 2027, and Czechia in 2028.

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782885 is a reply to message #782864 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 08:09

Sweden next year, Russia the year after, then Canada, USA, Canada, and Finland in 2027, and Czechia in 2028.

https://www.iihf.com/en/tournaments?tournamentType=WM&se lectedSeason=2021&tournamentCategory=worlds

IIHF website says WHC's are here;
2021 > Riga, Latvia (if it goes)
2022 > Finland
2023 > Russia, St. Petersburg
2024 > CZECH, Prague!! (This is the one!)
2025 > Sweden/ Denmark
2026 > Switzerland TBA

IIHF website says WJHC's are here;
Edmonton next year, Russia (Siberia!) in 2023, then Sweden in 2024..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782887 is a reply to message #782885 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 16:17 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 15:47

Mike wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 08:09

https://www.iihf.com/en/tournaments?tournamentType=WM&se lectedSeason=2021&tournamentCategory=worlds

IIHF website says WHC's are here;
2021 > Riga, Latvia (if it goes)
2022 > Finland
2023 > Russia, St. Petersburg
2024 > CZECH, Prague!! (This is the one!)
2025 > Sweden/ Denmark
2026 > Switzerland TBA

IIHF website says WJHC's are here;
Edmonton next year, Russia (Siberia!) in 2023, then Sweden in 2024..

Extra confusing - the 2021 WJHC are the ones that are already done. They use the date of the final, not the majority of the tournament for some unknown reason.

It's definitely back in Edmonton next year and Novosibirsk the year after. I would guess Siberia isn't a really expensive one, but I don't know if that's on my must-visit list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novosibirsk

Pretty cold in December and January there, but maybe it's an Edmonton-esque winter, so not too bad.

In Sweden you might not pay as much for the tickets, but everything else will be super expensive...Scandinavia is pricey! Really need it in Latvia or Slovakia for a cheaper version...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: 2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled [message #782870 is a reply to message #782861 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 08:20

It probably depends on where it's held. I looked into that Paul Almeida guy's tour to Czech for the last European one, maybe he just has a massive markup but it was not cheap. like $5k a person with zero discount for double occupancy.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Previous Topic:2021 U-18 WJHC (Texas, USA)
Next Topic:Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca