This day on March 5
Acquired: Brad Aitken (1991) Todd Elik (1993) Rem Murray (2006)
Departed: Tom Gorence (1985) Kim Issel (1991) Brent Gilchrist (1993)

Happy Birthday To: oilfan in GP, cmach69, princesspecz, nullterm, dohfOs

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Roster Snapshot - Where to now?Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767757]
Wed, 07 October 2020 07:08 Go to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

So, Holloway isn't a guy who's probably going to step in this season. Athanasiou and Benning are most likely out of the equation. And Klefbom is probably out for at least the start of the year. And there's a glimmer of hope that Puljujarvi may return. Assuming all of that is true, as of this morning, before the second round starts, the Oilers still have a lot to figure out. Let's take a look at what an opening night roster could look like.

RNH-McD-Kassian
Neal-Drai-Yamo
Archie- confused2 -Puljujarvi
Khaira-Haas-Chaisson
Nygard, Russell

Nurse-Bear
Russell-Larsson
Jones-Bouchard/ confused2
Lagesson

Koskinen
confused2

Oh, and there's less than $9M in cap space to fill in those confused2 sign Puljujarvi and resign Bear and Lagesson.

If you were Holland, where would you put your money?

Is there a trade that can send some money out in order to free up more cap space?

As much as I'm rotted that Athanasiou didn't pan out, I completely understand the reasoning behind letting him go at his Qualifying Rate. There's only one forward spot left. If you think you can squeeze more out of the money given the current economic conditions, you have to do it. The picks are already gone, they're not coming back if you keep AA. Now, if Holland pulls a "Chia with the Eberle deal" and just doesn't use the cap space to do anything, the picks were wasted.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 October 2020 09:33]

Given that I don't have any geographic ties to Edmonton, why I'm still cheering for this franchise baffles me sometimes.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767764 is a reply to message #767757 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

I think we see KR with Bouch and Jones with Lars. Need NHL players in the forward group, but moving Kass and or Chaisson would be huge, financially.

Also there’s a lot of smoke around Markstrom.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767816 is a reply to message #767757 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

I'd be trying hard to move out Kassian, Chiasson, Neal, and Kris Russell. I'd be gauging interest in Koskinen too if you can get an upgrade in net. That's a lot to ask, but those are all rough contracts that make it hard to fill those open spots appropriately. The easiest one to move will be Russell, but with so many other teams against the cap, I'm not sure what the appetite is for bad contracts.

The way I see the lineup:

confused2 / McDavid / confused2 (Ennis?)
Nugent-Hopkins / Draisaitl / Yamamoto
confused2 / confused2 / Puljujarvi
Khaira / Haas / Archibald

Extra: confused2, confused2
AHL: Benson, Nygard, P. Russell, McLeod, Lavoie, Cracknell, Marody

confused2 / confused2 (Larsson?)
Nurse / Bear
Jones / Bouchard
confused2

confused2
confused2 (Koskinen?)

I suppose you can put Neal in the 3LW spot and have Chaisson as an extra forward for a year. But in addition to having roster places to fill, I'd be trying hard to move Kassian and Russell as they don't really fit well into the needs of the Oilers framework, particularly at their price point.

UFAs worth considering: Turris (3C), Soderberg (3C), Granlund (3C), Koivu (3C), Toffoli (1RW), Hall (1LW), Dadonov (1LW), Galchenyuk (3LW), Haula (3LW), Namestnikov (3LW), Janmark (3LW), Pietrangelo (1RD), Barrie (1RD), Pysyk (3RD), Soucy (7D), Markstrom (1G)

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767817 is a reply to message #767816 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Maybe its the optimist in me but I just have a feeling we will see a few trades comes that will shed some salary.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767821 is a reply to message #767816 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

2 Cups

I guess we won’t be trading the first round pick next year either. You don’t trade away lottery picks.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767871 is a reply to message #767816 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 11:42

I'd be trying hard to move out Kassian, Chiasson, Neal, and Kris Russell. I'd be gauging interest in Koskinen too if you can get an upgrade in net. That's a lot to ask, but those are all rough contracts that make it hard to fill those open spots appropriately. The easiest one to move will be Russell, but with so many other teams against the cap, I'm not sure what the appetite is for bad contracts.

The way I see the lineup:

confused2 / McDavid / confused2 (Ennis?)
Nugent-Hopkins / Draisaitl / Yamamoto
confused2 / confused2 / Puljujarvi
Khaira / Haas / Archibald

Extra: confused2, confused2
AHL: Benson, Nygard, P. Russell, McLeod, Lavoie, Cracknell, Marody

confused2 / confused2 (Larsson?)
Nurse / Bear
Jones / Bouchard
confused2

confused2
confused2 (Koskinen?)

I suppose you can put Neal in the 3LW spot and have Chaisson as an extra forward for a year. But in addition to having roster places to fill, I'd be trying hard to move Kassian and Russell as they don't really fit well into the needs of the Oilers framework, particularly at their price point.

UFAs worth considering: Turris (3C), Soderberg (3C), Granlund (3C), Koivu (3C), Toffoli (1RW), Hall (1LW), Dadonov (1LW), Galchenyuk (3LW), Haula (3LW), Namestnikov (3LW), Janmark (3LW), Pietrangelo (1RD), Barrie (1RD), Pysyk (3RD), Soucy (7D), Markstrom (1G)

How many of those are moveable pieces though? Cap space is at a premium, so getting rid of bad contracts is going to be harder than ever this year unless you want to throw in sweeteners to achieve that. We're already without 2nd and 3rd round picks next year so the team can't really afford to trade many more draft picks either.

The biggest problem is that ideally, those moves happen fast - because if you want to sign both an impact winger and a real goaltender, you need that space now.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767881 is a reply to message #767871 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kris Russell for sure is moveable. Even attractive.

Chiasson probably is moveable for a similar contract.

Neal is probably unmoveable.

Kassian... as bad a contract as that is, there may be someone who is a sucker for him like the Oilers were. Not sure. The flat cap may have made that unmoveable also.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767884 is a reply to message #767881 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 17:12

Kassian... as bad a contract as that is, there may be someone who is a sucker for him like the Oilers were. Not sure. The flat cap may have made that unmoveable also.

I am less confident in even the ability to move Russell this year with sudden burst of fiscal responsibility from teams. I fear that they may ask us to provide an asset in order to eat any of these bad contracts.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767887 is a reply to message #767884 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

I'm not any fan of Russell, but it might be a good idea to hang on to him. He has the most experience on the Oiler D, and only one year left on his admittedly overpriced contract. The Oilers are going to be young on defense, and having Russell around might provide some injury insurance and help the younger D mature more quickly.

Maybe Russell's trade value goes up towards the trade deadline, too, depending on his health and Oilers place in the standings. In the meantime, he could ride the press box and play when needed when needed rather than have one of the younger guys sit.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767926 is a reply to message #767884 ]
Thu, 08 October 2020 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 18:15

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 17:12

I am less confident in even the ability to move Russell this year with sudden burst of fiscal responsibility from teams. I fear that they may ask us to provide an asset in order to eat any of these bad contracts.

I feel like a team in financial trouble would love meeting trading real dollars for imaginary cap dollars. Arizona is trying to unload money frantically, but it might be a team to visit once they get some of the big players shipped out (OEL, Kuemper).

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767969 is a reply to message #767757 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

Some interesting thoughts in here. Personally, I think Holland's real decision is what kind of season does he want to set the Oilers up for. As much as some are suggesting trading Russell due to his cap-floor friendly contract, with Klefbom possibly out for the season, the team is an injury to Nurse away from having a LHD consisting of Jones, Lagesson and ??. That doesn't seem ideal. If you trade Russell, you may as well bring over Broberg and just use this shortened season as a way of getting some of the young D some experience, the way Dallas broke in three young D a couple of seasons ago.

And no one is trading for Kassian without a sweetener. To steal a thought from the twitterverse I read earlier, they couldn't trade him for anything when he had a good contract, there's no way anyone is taking him now unless they are sending something equally unsatisfying back.

In reality, I think Holland has to go bargain-hunting this off-season. Given the current cap situation, and the lack of movement on the trade front, expecting any of the big names to sign with the Oilers, is a pipe dream. In particular, I think the only way Hall signs is on a very cheap one-year contract that is meant to give Holland some time to clear money for a longer deal next season.

Given that I don't have any geographic ties to Edmonton, why I'm still cheering for this franchise baffles me sometimes.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767970 is a reply to message #767969 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Hibernia wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 08:56

Some interesting thoughts in here. Personally, I think Holland's real decision is what kind of season does he want to set the Oilers up for. As much as some are suggesting trading Russell due to his cap-floor friendly contract, with Klefbom possibly out for the season, the team is an injury to Nurse away from having a LHD consisting of Jones, Lagesson and ??. That doesn't seem ideal. If you trade Russell, you may as well bring over Broberg and just use this shortened season as a way of getting some of the young D some experience, the way Dallas broke in three young D a couple of seasons ago.

And no one is trading for Kassian without a sweetener. To steal a thought from the twitterverse I read earlier, they couldn't trade him for anything when he had a good contract, there's no way anyone is taking him now unless they are sending something equally unsatisfying back.

In reality, I think Holland has to go bargain-hunting this off-season. Given the current cap situation, and the lack of movement on the trade front, expecting any of the big names to sign with the Oilers, is a pipe dream. In particular, I think the only way Hall signs is on a very cheap one-year contract that is meant to give Holland some time to clear money for a longer deal next season.

Don't forget Caleb Jones, but yeah, that left side is a little thin on experience.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767971 is a reply to message #767970 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

I would not be surprised at all that Holland is using Europe in lieu of the half season of AHL ripening on Broberg in light of the Klefbom uncertainty.

Today is going to be underwhelming and disappointing. There will be a bad signing and it sounds like an aging goalie overpay.

I do hope Old Dutch finds some bargain buyouts or unqualified FA’s though.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 October 2020 08:04]

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767973 is a reply to message #767971 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 08:03

I would not be surprised at all that Holland is using Europe in lieu of the half season of AHL ripening on Broberg in light of the Klefbom uncertainty.

Today is going to be underwhelming and disappointing. There will be a bad signing and it sounds like an aging goalie overpay.

I’m 100% in agreement about today being underwhelming and disappointing from and Oilers fan standpoint.

Here’s to another year of ‘we had a lot of irons in the fire but when it comes down to it we were priced out due to our cap situation’. Then Klef goes on LTIR, missing the entire year, and we’re right back to picking in the 8-12 range.

I haven’t become bitter, nope. Borderline alcoholic, maybe. Thanks Mr Katz

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767975 is a reply to message #767973 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 08:34

I’m 100% in agreement about today being underwhelming and disappointing from and Oilers fan standpoint.

Here’s to another year of ‘we had a lot of irons in the fire but when it comes down to it we were priced out due to our cap situation’. Then Klef goes on LTIR, missing the entire year, and we’re right back to picking in the 8-12 range.

Haha - I usually wait for the Oilers management to actually blow it before bemoaning their performance! You're ahead of the curve here!

Biggest question for me is what goalie they get and for how much. If they overpay on a fading older goalie, we're in trouble.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767978 is a reply to message #767975 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 08:44

Haha - I usually wait for the Oilers management to actually blow it before bemoaning their performance! You're ahead of the curve here!

Biggest question for me is what goalie they get and for how much. If they overpay on a fading older goalie, we're in trouble.

Uh Corey Crawford is a Stanley Cup champ. that's the leadership you need around here. Poise too. He has a ton of poise.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767981 is a reply to message #767975 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 08:44

“I can’t comment on other teams players. We made a lot of calls today, were some of those calls to Jakob and Braeden’s camps? Maybe. But we’re happy with what Jimmy Howard brings as a compliment to Mikko. Did we overpay? No. We got market value for Jimmy on the 4 year contract.”

In all seriousness. I’d be flipping elated if Holland does something to actually make the team better today, as we all will. Do I expect it? Yea, I do. Do I believe it will happen? Not a chance.

I know it’s been talked about in another thread, but how can you not address the D? Bring in Barrie on a 1 year show me deal, tell Klefbom “hey, we know you’re going through some stuff.. take all the time you need, rehab, surgery, you do you. We’re putting you on LTIR and we’ll see you next September.”

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767982 is a reply to message #767969 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 05:56

At a cap hit of $4MM, I think you have to move on from Russell if you can. There's going to be more players than usual on the market now, and lots of teams with limited resources, so there's bargains to be had. Russell isn't a bargain, and what we saw from him this past year, especially in the playoffs, is that he's as risky or more risky than the young guys. I mean his own-goals outscored what our depth forwards put in to Chicago's net.

If I never have to see him spinning face down on the ice as some one just skates past him again, it'll be too soon.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #767983 is a reply to message #767982 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 08:59

At a cap hit of $4MM, I think you have to move on from Russell if you can. There's going to be more players than usual on the market now, and lots of teams with limited resources, so there's bargains to be had. Russell isn't a bargain, and what we saw from him this past year, especially in the playoffs, is that he's as risky or more risky than the young guys. I mean his own-goals outscored what our depth forwards put in to Chicago's net.

If I never have to see him spinning face down on the ice as some one just skates past him again, it'll be too soon.

As much sense as it makes, especially as a cash strapped team to take him... I truly don't believe they move him with the uncertainty surrounding Klef. Which begins the disappointment of the offseason.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768002 is a reply to message #767983 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 09:01

As much sense as it makes, especially as a cash strapped team to take him... I truly don't believe they move him with the uncertainty surrounding Klef. Which begins the disappointment of the offseason.

This is where I am as well. I think they will be scared to move Russell with Klef likely out. That said it doesnt surprise me. I gave Russell a chance but I was leading the anti-starfish movement early and rarely waivered. I also early on accepted that the contract was an albatross that wasnt going anywhere.

As far as the one year show me deal you suggest for Barrie. It is the right offer but I fully expect Barrie to get term (3 to 4 years) and roughly that many millions per year as well. I am horrible at estimating cap hit on FA's but I fully expect him to be a guy who gets overpaid today.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768003 is a reply to message #768002 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 09:57

This is where I am as well. I think they will be scared to move Russell with Klef likely out. That said it doesnt surprise me. I gave Russell a chance but I was leading the anti-starfish movement early and rarely waivered. I also early on accepted that the contract was an albatross that wasnt going anywhere.

As far as the one year show me deal you suggest for Barrie. It is the right offer but I fully expect Barrie to get term (3 to 4 years) and roughly that many millions per year as well. I am horrible at estimating cap hit on FA's but I fully expect him to be a guy who gets overpaid today.

Money will flow, that is certain. If Holland can SELL Barrie on being part of a powerplay with Connor and Leon to pump his numbers back up... one has to think theres a shot he takes it. But, you're right, he'll have many offers with term, I'm sure.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768007 is a reply to message #768003 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 10:01

Money will flow, that is certain. If Holland can SELL Barrie on being part of a powerplay with Connor and Leon to pump his numbers back up... one has to think theres a shot he takes it. But, you're right, he'll have many offers with term, I'm sure.

The only time Oiler management was ever able to “sell” a player on things was when they signed Belanger to the extra year.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768009 is a reply to message #768007 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 10:13

The only time Oiler management was ever able to “sell” a player on things was when they signed Belanger to the extra year.

Oh buddy, that turned out real well! Was good TV for OilChange

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768145 is a reply to message #768007 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 09:13

LOL.. Belanger.. oh man, what an absolutely useless player.. soft as room temperature margarine.. ;)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768148 is a reply to message #768145 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:48

LOL.. Belanger.. oh man, what an absolutely useless player.. soft as room temperature margarine.. ;)

I was thinking soft as a curd in a poutine... he was pretty hot under the collar about his time here.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768151 is a reply to message #768145 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Remember when he got all hot and bothered about Yakupov's celebration? rofl

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768155 is a reply to message #768145 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Nah, microwaved butter - 1 tbsp for 30 sec on high

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768283 is a reply to message #768155 ]
Sat, 10 October 2020 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 12:58

That quote was intended solely for Oilpeg's amusement :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #769136 is a reply to message #768283 ]
Wed, 04 November 2020 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 10 October 2020 15:45

And amused, I am! lmao

Took me a while to find this though...hahaha A month later. jeeze.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #769159 is a reply to message #769136 ]
Thu, 05 November 2020 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Wed, 04 November 2020 07:41

And amused, I am! lmao

Hey man, just happy I could bring a smile to your face, especially with a Winnipeg winter looming! :) 👍

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #769164 is a reply to message #769159 ]
Fri, 06 November 2020 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 05 November 2020 18:15

And amused, I am! lmao

Hey man, just happy I could bring a smile to your face, especially with a Winnipeg winter looming! :) 👍

Stuck at home this week with a cold and waiting on COVID test results...I need all the smiles I can get! hahaha

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #769224 is a reply to message #769164 ]
Fri, 06 November 2020 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Fri, 06 November 2020 07:16

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 05 November 2020 18:15

And amused, I am! lmao

Stuck at home this week with a cold and waiting on COVID test results...I need all the smiles I can get! hahaha

All the best and get well soon my friend!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768000 is a reply to message #767757 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Dreger saying expectation is Klefbom will be out of the lineup for a long long time.

Please don't waste this Old Dutch.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768102 is a reply to message #767757 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Think the forward group is pretty set now...

Ennis-McD-Kass
RNH-Drai-Yams
Neal-Turris-Pulju
Archi-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira
Nygard
Russell

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768141 is a reply to message #768102 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 12:54

Think the forward group is pretty set now...

Ennis-McD-Kass
RNH-Drai-Yams
Neal-Turris-Pulju
Archi-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira
Nygard
Russell

Some discussion on twitter about the number of one-way deals there and thoughts that the Oilers may be hoping to unload someone along the way here.

It doesn't seem likely we're in on Hall though...not unless you could magically make two of the Neal, Chiasson & Kassian deals disappear.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768152 is a reply to message #768141 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I am glad they are out on Hall or at least I hope they are. Unless he takes a really short term deal for low money to try to win, some team is going to give him way too much money and term for a player who if you take out his MVP season, most of the years he's a 50-60 pt player.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #768312 is a reply to message #767757 ]
Sat, 10 October 2020 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

A few days ago, I suggested Tony Deangelo as an Ethan Bear comparison for Bear’s upcoming deal. Seeing Deangelo exercise his rights and file for arbitration, I figured let’s put it out there and talk about it.

TonyD arrived in New York in 2017/18 and gets a taste with the Rags. Plays 32 games and puts up a 0-8-8, with an avg TOI of 16:34. Oh, and 6 of those points came on the powerplay. Next season, his last season of his ELC, plays 61 games and puts up 4-26-30 with an ach TOI of 19:20, 10 of his assists came via the pp. Deangelo signed a 1 year, 925k contract which then took him to his arb eligible year. He has filed for arbitration.

Bear’s first taste of the bigs in 2018/19, ultimately playing 18 games and putting up 1-3-4, with his goal and one of the assists coming on the pp. Oh, and he had an avg TOI of 18:38 over those 18 games. This past season, the last of his ELC, he plays in 71 games, putting up 5-16-21 with an avg TOI of 21:58 and again 1 goal and 1 assist on the pp. Significantly more TOI, but 9 less points than TonyD, over the minute and a half difference per game.

Fairly similar paths and one that, if I’m Holland, I look at to get him in.

My prediction, Ethan Bear has a contract with Ken Holland’s signature for 1 year and 950k

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #769077 is a reply to message #767757 ]
Sun, 01 November 2020 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

2 Cups

RNH - McDavid - Ennis
Kahun - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Neal - Turris - Puljujarvi
Archibald - Khaira - Kassian
Chiasson, Haas

Nurse - Barrie
Jones - Bear
Russell - Larsson
Lagesson, Bouchard

Koskinen
Smith

I gotta say, this actually looks like an NHL roster through and through. I don't remember the last time we actually had 4 lines of what surely are NHL players. We will live and die by the goaltending...

Clean house or bust

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #769080 is a reply to message #769077 ]
Sun, 01 November 2020 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 01 November 2020 19:24

RNH - McDavid - Ennis
Chiasson, Haas

Nurse - Barrie
Jones - Bear
Russell - Larsson
Lagesson, Bouchard

Koskinen
Smith

I gotta say, this actually looks like an NHL roster through and through. I don't remember the last time we actually had 4 lines of what surely are NHL players. We will live and die by the goaltending...

Khaira is a borderline NHL/AHL bubble player (hopefully he has a step forward next season), but otherwise totally agree.

Nurse-Barrie might need a shake up though, I don't think those two together is wise defensively atleast as the first pair against the other team's best.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Roster Snapshot - Where to now? [message #769091 is a reply to message #769077 ]
Mon, 02 November 2020 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ravb1981  is currently offline ravb1981

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 01 November 2020 20:24

RNH - McDavid - Ennis
Chiasson, Haas

Nurse - Barrie
Jones - Bear
Russell - Larsson
Lagesson, Bouchard

Koskinen
Smith

What is the word on Bear's new contract? I haven't heard or read anything yet. With Kahun's signing, does this mean Klef is out for the season for sure? by my calculations, this puts at CAP max and still have Bear to sign.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers 20-21 Schedule
Next Topic:Vintage W. Gretzky
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca