This day on January 23
Acquired: Doug Halward (1989)

Happy Birthday To: faceoff, sportsmom23, diamondx, GoOilGo

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill PetersPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748188 is a reply to message #748187 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 10:53

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 10:50

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 10:44

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 10:40

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 09:33

Press conference for the Flames this morning. So much for Bill Peters!

He resigned. Maybe he had another offer?

Resignation is good for the Flames and the NHL - it means the contract is terminated and there's no ongoing legal dispute. I wonder if he negotiated some settlement to go quietly. That would explain this delay.

I would be stunned if he wasn’t paid to go away. Probably the right choice

I wonder who is next.

Geoff Ward. But he may get fired for just not winning enough.

Good news for Geoff is no one seemed to care about Peters kicking and punching his players. So he can still do that if he wants :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748190 is a reply to message #748188 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 10:54

Resignation is good for the Flames and the NHL - it means the contract is terminated and there's no ongoing legal dispute. I wonder if he negotiated some settlement to go quietly. That would explain this delay.

I wonder who is next.

Good news for Geoff is no one seemed to care about Peters kicking and punching his players. So he can still do that if he wants :)

After the events of the last week, he can probably even get players to rate each other's work ethic and share with the rest of the team.

Bill Peters has really made it easy for him to look like a good guy no matter what!

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748201 is a reply to message #748190 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 10:57

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 10:54

I wonder who is next.

After the events of the last week, he can probably even get players to rate each other's work ethic and share with the rest of the team.

Bill Peters has really made it easy for him to look like a good guy no matter what!

Yeah, Peters stole all of Babcock's thunder. That's a shame.

Weird list idea to try to teach a kid about work ethics, which was apologized for, and lead to the other guys singled out to have career years and be favorites of the coach and the kid ends up as one of that coaches most relied on players.

Compare that to racial slurs and kicking players in the back and punching them in the head on the bench. It's close, but I think Peters wins this round :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748204 is a reply to message #748201 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Peters "resigns" on Black Friday, oh the irony...

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748191 is a reply to message #748182 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

I wonder who is next.

Ron Francis would like you to not ask such a question.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748193 is a reply to message #748182 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

I wonder who is next.

Completely agree. This first came out on Monday and was confirmed real quick. It's not like you have to mail people, you make a phone call to who ever you need to. So the investigation wouldn't have taken too long to confirm his comments. There was no chance the Flames could keep him due to the racial stuff. So he was done probably by Tuesday and was prematurely reported he was fired real quick. The Flames had no choice. The stuff with the abuse of players in Carolina is a separate issues but just serves to reinforce he's not a good guy.

Peters had a few years left on his deal so we are talking millions of dollars at stake for him. Plus this might end his career in the NHL. If he was fired for not winning enough, he'd be entitled to getting the rest of his money but I would bet there is code of conduct in his contract and this probably goes into firing with cause and potentially forfeiting his contract. So because he didn't do it with the Flames, he will want to fight to get as much money as he can. So what took so long is I bet the lawyers between both sides, especially on the NHL and Flames side, figuring out how to do it. It wouldn't surprise me if they offered him a settlement in exchange for a resignation.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748516 is a reply to message #748182 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I wonder who is next.

Marc Crawford. The correct answer was Marc Crawford.

Start the engine boys! We're going on a purge!

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748517 is a reply to message #748516 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 03 December 2019 09:13

I wonder who is next.

Yuck, Sean Avery started this one. Really, how could any normal human resist kicking or punching that guy if they could get away with it?

And now tough guy and cheap shot artist Chelios is crying about Babcock verbally assaulting him, hehe. Although Franzen, who seems like a pretty soft spoken guy, is backing it up. Franzen was dealing with concussions and Babcock kept railing on him. Contributed to a bad downward spiral is sounds like.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 December 2019 09:24]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748518 is a reply to message #748517 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 03 December 2019 09:20

I wonder who is next.

Yuck, Sean Avery started this one. Really, how could any normal human resist kicking or punching that guy if they could get away with it?

Sean Avery AND Patrick O'Sullivan - who actually wrote in a book about being kicked by Crawford and belittled by him years ago.

Was it Crawford that Ron Low threw his gum at? Or was that Hartley?

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748519 is a reply to message #748518 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 03 December 2019 09:23

I wonder who is next.

Sean Avery AND Patrick O'Sullivan - who actually wrote in a book about being kicked by Crawford and belittled by him years ago.

Crawford. He was losing game 6 (we forced game 7) and put out all his goons with orders to punch anything that moved for a faceoff right at the end.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748521 is a reply to message #748519 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 03 December 2019 09:27

I wonder who is next.

Crawford. He was losing game 6 (we forced game 7) and put out all his goons with orders to punch anything that moved for a faceoff right at the end.

Was that en route to beating them in 1998? What a great series. Shelling Roy in Game 7...the Avs fans hating Guerin and calling him "Billy the Butcher"...good times.

I hated Mark Crawford though. Idiot who put Ray Bourque in the shootout ahead of Wayne Gretzky. And sounds like he's a miserable human too.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748522 is a reply to message #748521 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 03 December 2019 09:32

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 03 December 2019 09:27

I wonder who is next.

Was that en route to beating them in 1998? What a great series. Shelling Roy in Game 7...the Avs fans hating Guerin and calling him "Billy the Butcher"...good times.

I hated Mark Crawford though. Idiot who put Ray Bourque in the shootout ahead of Wayne Gretzky. And sounds like he's a miserable human too.

It's weird I can't find a video of that anymore. THis article mentions it at the end

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/edmonton-oilers-history-curtis-joseph-shuts-out-colorado-a valanche-in-game-6-to-push-playoff-series-to-a-deciding-game -may-2-1998

Yeah, beat those bastards in 1998 that series.

Sounds like he may have calmed down a bit as he's got older. Maybe humbled after not getting NHL jobs. Think he was BFF's with Matthews in Europe, hehe. Probably best for him to stay in assistant roles though, he definitely seems like a power tripper. Who knows what a douche he would be if he got a HC role again.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748525 is a reply to message #748522 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Amazing that in all of this, John Tortorella remains unscathed.

Clean house or bust

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748528 is a reply to message #748525 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 03 December 2019 09:53

I've heard a couple people talk about Tortorella on the radio and podcasts - they say the difference with him is that he treats everyone the same, and while he can be really hard on people for not doing what they should, people don't feel like it's undeserved - for example just picking on a player because he can, rather than because he did something that needs correcting.

I think the mistake people make is thinking that this is just about being hard on people. Bullying is something different than that. If Tortorella isn't physically abusive, or racist, or making belittling personal attacks then he doesn't have much to worry about.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748536 is a reply to message #748528 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 03 December 2019 09:20

I've heard a couple people talk about Tortorella on the radio and podcasts - they say the difference with him is that he treats everyone the same, and while he can be really hard on people for not doing what they should, people don't feel like it's undeserved - for example just picking on a player because he can, rather than because he did something that needs correcting.

I think the mistake people make is thinking that this is just about being hard on people. Bullying is something different than that. If Tortorella isn't physically abusive, or racist, or making belittling personal attacks then he doesn't have much to worry about.

If nothing has come out yet, then he must be doing a better job of walking the line. But he has coached for a long time, I'd be really impressed if there isn't one guy who feels slighted enough to say something bad.

From what has come out about Babcock, I think he too walked the line better than the social media reaction would have you believe. He sounds like a massive jerk to work for yes...but why did all these Detroit players play their whole career there? Why did Alfredsson and Modano decide to play their last year under him? Why would Marleau and Tavares sign in Toronto? Surely they would know if he was THAT intolerable.

Clean house or bust

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748540 is a reply to message #748536 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 03 December 2019 10:49

Adam wrote on Tue, 03 December 2019 09:20

If nothing has come out yet, then he must be doing a better job of walking the line. But he has coached for a long time, I'd be really impressed if there isn't one guy who feels slighted enough to say something bad.

From what has come out about Babcock, I think he too walked the line better than the social media reaction would have you believe. He sounds like a massive jerk to work for yes...but why did all these Detroit players play their whole career there? Why did Alfredsson and Modano decide to play their last year under him? Why would Marleau and Tavares sign in Toronto? Surely they would know if he was THAT intolerable.

Well, you put up with a lot when you're winning.

It sounds like it was miserable for Alfredsson, Modano, Spezza, Chelios with Babcock. I imagine that if these guys had heard stories, that they thought it couldn't be as bad as it sounded and that people blew things out of proportion.

I imagine there's also a devil-you-know element with the Red Wings. Some may have assumed that they could end up with an even worse coach - and chances are good they liked much else about their jobs - their teammates, the team, the fans...

I imagine that most of the top guys didn't get the abuse - Babcock wasn't likely going after Datsyuk and Lidstrom and while they no doubt didn't like seeing teammates abused, it's not quite the same thing if you're not the target.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #749078 is a reply to message #748540 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

The.witch hunt continues. Dallas Stars fire Jim Montgomery for unspecified (at this time) reasons of conduct.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #749080 is a reply to message #749078 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 14:44 Go to previous message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 14:38

The.witch hunt continues. Dallas Stars fire Jim Montgomery for unspecified (at this time) reasons of conduct.

I know you want to claim there's a witch hunt or something, but you simply can't have people in the NHL doing unspecified things. We've grown beyond THAT as a sport and as a people. We should all be unified on this on. I demand more.

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748538 is a reply to message #748522 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 03 December 2019 09:35

It's weird I can't find a video of that anymore. THis article mentions it at the end

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/edmonton-oilers-history-curtis-joseph-shuts-out-colorado-a valanche-in-game-6-to-push-playoff-series-to-a-deciding-game -may-2-1998

Yeah, beat those bastards in 1998 that series.

Sounds like he may have calmed down a bit as he's got older. Maybe humbled after not getting NHL jobs. Think he was BFF's with Matthews in Europe, hehe. Probably best for him to stay in assistant roles though, he definitely seems like a power tripper. Who knows what a douche he would be if he got a HC role again.

I remember the Mironov goal, sick feed from Dougie and he goes top shelf on Roy to make it 2-0...the moment I knew it was going 7 games.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748539 is a reply to message #748538 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Highlights of every game against Avs in 1998, sorry to pollute a Bill Peters Memorial Thread.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 December 2019 11:03]

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748520 is a reply to message #748517 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

I wonder who is next.

And now tough guy and cheap shot artist Chelios is crying about Babcock verbally assaulting him, hehe. Although Franzen, who seems like a pretty soft spoken guy, is backing it up. Franzen was dealing with concussions and Babcock kept railing on him. Contributed to a bad downward spiral is sounds like.

Paraphrasing, but essentially called Babcock the worst human he’s ever met, or maybe more like a terrible human or something along those lines. Read that article.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748523 is a reply to message #748517 ]
Tue, 03 December 2019 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The Chelios article is something else...

Babcock trying to healthy scratch Chelios for the outdoor game against Chicago - he really did like to flex his power just for the hell of it.

The Modano thing is still so ridiculous. He played him one game short of 1500. Healthy scratched him just enough that it was impossible for him to get there, because he knew it was important to Modano.

There's a lot of that stupid stuff with NHL coaches. Therrien ending the low-five celebration between Price and Subban. Granato refusing to play Selanne & Kariya together because they'd publicly said they hoped to play together again before the season. Those things always seem like such poor leadership moves. It's just a guy who lacks confidence who does stupid things like that to try to prove to himself and others that he's the boss.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748177 is a reply to message #747808 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

At this point, I'm just looking forward to the next Beaverton article. They've been on fire this month.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748203 is a reply to message #747808 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Maybe now Bill will look in the mirror and realize he’s not black, therefore is not allowed to use certain words in public.

#firebob

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748238 is a reply to message #748203 ]
Sat, 30 November 2019 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

1 Cup

I don't think ruining his career and publicly shaming him is enough TBH.

There needs to be real tangible punishment for saying words that people don't like.

I'm not saying he should be executed, but I think every progressive person would agree that he should at least be publically flogged or sent to prison.

That's the only way to show how tolerant we are as a society.

#prisonforpeters

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748240 is a reply to message #748238 ]
Sat, 30 November 2019 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 05:31

I don't think ruining his career and publicly shaming him is enough TBH.

There needs to be real tangible punishment for saying words that people don't like.

I'm not saying he should be executed, but I think every progressive person would agree that he should at least be publically flogged or sent to prison.

That's the only way to show how tolerant we are as a society.

#prisonforpeters

Start the inquisition jay, we’re going on a purge!

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748244 is a reply to message #748240 ]
Sat, 30 November 2019 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

Bill Peters is a mean guy. I can't defend him or condone what he said. I just have a few questions:

1. How many times did the music Bill didn't like use the same word Bill got fired for?

How is this equality? Janne Niinimaa used to like death metal. He tried to play it in the room once. Ron Lowe frisbee'd the compact disk across the dressing room in Janne's general direction. It happens. Coach rules the room. Maybe the song actually had lyrics about prison sex. Vile and not appropriate for a work setting.

Tarantino uses the word as much as he can. He explains that if people are gonna give a word that much power we should be screaming it from the rooftops to disarm it. On the set of Django Leo DiCrapio was having a hard time doing his lines. It took Sam Jackson, a black man, to motivate him to suck it up and do his job.

2. If Seinfeld has taught us anything, which it has, it's that people act differently in different situations. There is an at work Bill. There is a hanging with friends Bill. There is a Bill with parents. There is a relationship Bill. Then there is coach Bill. Coach Bill is a hard ass tasked with motivating privileged entitled millionaire athletes and is constantly under pressure. He still must greatly regret his actions going too far in this isolated incident. It's not like Bill Peters hates Negros in all aspects of his life at all times and systematically tries to harm and hold them back. He's not in the KKK guys.

3. Does anyone think that Akim is showing bravery by coming out by cover of social media years after the fact to get revenge?

What happened to Akim is wrong. I know it's hard to stand up to the boss when your trying to get in his good books and earn your shot at the big time. That's why it's called bravery. If Akim stood up and confronted Bill in the moments this was happening, he would be a true hero, worthy of a statue somewhere. He may have even earned the admiration of his coach for being so brave.

This is why we should accept bullying in childhood. Bullying is evil and wrong but it is a necessary evil. Gotta learn first hand how to stand up to these bullies. The other teammates too. They could have stood up for Akim in the moment.

All it would take is "whoa whoa whoa Bill! We will turn the music off if we gotta but you gotta not use hateful words!" Bill most likely stammers out a quick embarrassed apology. Done and done. Deal with it and move on without regrets. To blame a failed career on this one incident is petty.

All in all I am just commenting about the racial slur. The punching and kicking is just demented.

I will say it's great to have the soap opera in Calgary for a change. The tide is turning regarding the direction of the NHL hockey teams in Alberta and it's about damn time!

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748245 is a reply to message #748244 ]
Sat, 30 November 2019 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I wonder what Don Cherry would have had to say about all of this. Ah well. It's much better to have 4 chumps trying to jump all over themselves to out agree with each other. Very entertaining.

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748246 is a reply to message #748245 ]
Sat, 30 November 2019 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 18:02

I wonder what Don Cherry would have had to say about all of this. Ah well. It's much better to have 4 chumps trying to jump all over themselves to out agree with each other. Very entertaining.

Equally not entertaining or even less so?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748248 is a reply to message #748245 ]
Sat, 30 November 2019 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 17:02

He's got a podcast if he wants to weigh in on it.

Clean house or bust

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748249 is a reply to message #748248 ]
Sat, 30 November 2019 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 19:01

Is he still trying to figure out how to post his first one?

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748250 is a reply to message #748249 ]
Sat, 30 November 2019 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 19:04

He’s posted eight 10 second clips where it’s just the selfie camera point up at him and he’s asking if it’s on yet.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #748254 is a reply to message #748250 ]
Sat, 30 November 2019 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 19:57

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 19:04

He’s posted eight 10 second clips where it’s just the selfie camera point up at him and he’s asking if it’s on yet.

Higher quality content than I was expecting.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Survivor 66
Next Topic:Survivor LXV (65)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca