This day on January 26
Acquired: Jaroslav Spacek (2006) Dick Tarnstrom (2006)
Departed: Cory Cross (2006) Jani Rita (2006) Tony Salmelainen (2006)

Happy Birthday To: marchantfan, alwaysanoilfan, Zontar, oilforlife, Roleplayer, fansoccer, miller94

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Trading Larsson
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Trading Larsson [message #748116]
Thu, 28 November 2019 11:21 Go to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

I really hope that the brass are looking at offloading this guy. I don't think there's another dude in that dressing that gets as down about everything as Adam. Can't handle the puck, makes bad choices with outlet passes (Chiasson gets destroyed) and takes bad penalties.

He's a liability on this team and I think it's time to ship him off for a forward, while he still has some value.

Who do you think we could get for him?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748120 is a reply to message #748116 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

3 Cups

Lars for Taylor Hall.

Who says no?

Two time Survivor CHAMP

#MUSTWIN

Survivor 52 | Survivor 66

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748121 is a reply to message #748120 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 11:51

Lars for Taylor Hall.

Who says no?

I’m in.
a) NJ needs defence
b) Hilarious!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748123 is a reply to message #748121 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 13:01

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 11:51

Lars for Taylor Hall.

Who says no?

I’m in.
a) NJ needs defence
b) Hilarious!

I mean heck chuck in a draft pick and it’s a net win for Shero Wave Towel

Two time Survivor CHAMP

#MUSTWIN

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748122 is a reply to message #748116 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

On the topic of Adam Larsson... Oilers Nation saying Lars will have a hearing for that elbow now?

Two time Survivor CHAMP

#MUSTWIN

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748124 is a reply to message #748122 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 12:26

On the topic of Adam Larsson... Oilers Nation saying Lars will have a hearing for that elbow now?

Any mention of a hearing from sports news sources seem to have disappeared from the internet.

And yeah, we should be looking at if we can get something worthwhile still for Larsson. I'm not seeing any recovery in his game so far. And I'm not even sure I am that interested in what he could recover to anymore.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748126 is a reply to message #748124 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

I am not advocating to trade Larsson but I also would be surprised if both Russell and Larsson are on the team next year. I could potentially see both being gone next year.

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748129 is a reply to message #748126 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 13:46

I am not advocating to trade Larsson but I also would be surprised if both Russell and Larsson are on the team next year. I could potentially see both being gone next year.

If they’re going to be successful in getting a top 6 winger, one of these guys’ salaries will have to be freed up.

Two time Survivor CHAMP

#MUSTWIN

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748141 is a reply to message #748129 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 13:18

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 13:46

If they’re going to be successful in getting a top 6 winger, one of these guys’ salaries will have to be freed up.

There is that but they also need to make room for some of the younger guys. As Bear proved, the young guys can play.

Jones has had the odd poor game but for the most part, he's been solid. Chances are he will get better.

Persson showed somethings I just think he needs time to adjust to the north American style of hockey AND Struddy has said several times, he needs to get into NHL shape because there is a difference. But I think there is a player there.

Bouchard is going to play. It's a matter of when.

So they need to make room for them.

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748151 is a reply to message #748141 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

I think you have to look at moving Larsson, Russell or both this summer. If there's a deal to be made involving something coming back that helps the team this year, then you have to consider it. That said, playoff teams need depth and I don't see the absolute need to trade either before the end of the season. Both players would play in a playoff series this season, so why move them now? If you're going after a rental winger, the other team isn't going to want Russel, and probably not Larsson. I think we need to be careful about trading away too many vets too quickly just because we have some young depth. Bouchard will probably need all of this year and possibly next in the A. Broberg has yet to play in North America, and may need 2 years in the A.

I make music.
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/undermaker442/inexplicable

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748163 is a reply to message #748116 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Hold off on moving Larsson until Bouchard is ready to play at the NHL level. Otherwise, Manning could still be drawing into games, and that is just horrific.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748196 is a reply to message #748163 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 20:31

Hold off on moving Larsson until Bouchard is ready to play at the NHL level. Otherwise, Manning could still be drawing into games, and that is just horrific.

I've like Manning's game better than Larsson's this year. A lot of it I'm basing on expectations of what they should both bring. Manning gets way too much hate around here.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748197 is a reply to message #748196 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 12:00

I've like Manning's game better than Larsson's this year. A lot of it I'm basing on expectations of what they should both bring. Manning gets way too much hate around here.

The universe might be sending us a sign, as Hall's career in Jersey is coming to an end :)

That was just an unbelievable sequence for him last game. Suicide pass to get Chaisson destroyed, then elbow up on a midget to get himself kicked out of the game.

His passing is still bad. He's never gonna look good playing with Russell or Nurse. Klef may the only D on this team he can potentially look like a solid top 4 guy with now.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 November 2019 12:13]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748200 is a reply to message #748196 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

I think your expectations might be a bit off considering we have not even had a full healthy game from Adam Larsson. I am not a huge fan, but coming off a broken leg where he couldn't skate likely has affected his comeback. 4 games is not enough time to anoint Manning as the better dman.

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748202 is a reply to message #748200 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 12:54

I think your expectations might be a bit off considering we have not even had a full healthy game from Adam Larsson. I am not a huge fan, but coming off a broken leg where he couldn't skate likely has affected his comeback. 4 games is not enough time to anoint Manning as the better dman.

I'll take Larsson on 1 leg over Manning on 4 legs. Manning is just clueless in terms of positional sense which is why he keeps coughing up odd-man rushes and making bad pinch decisions. Ideally, he never draws into a game in an Oiler jersey ever again, though I'm fairly sure we're going to see him in the roster on Saturday....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748256 is a reply to message #748202 ]
Sat, 30 November 2019 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 14:05

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 12:54

I'll take Larsson on 1 leg over Manning on 4 legs. Manning is just clueless in terms of positional sense which is why he keeps coughing up odd-man rushes and making bad pinch decisions. Ideally, he never draws into a game in an Oiler jersey ever again, though I'm fairly sure we're going to see him in the roster on Saturday....

This is exactly right.
Some Oiler fans have a weird love affair with plugs and Manning is an example. He is the Oilers worst defensman this year and it isnt close. Even in limited soft minutes on the third pairing he often looks terrible and needs to be bailed out.
I would be happy if he never saw the ice again.
On the other hand those same fans are always in a hurry to trade a player who can or does serve a useful role.

As far as trading Larsson it HAS to be in a move that makes the team better. The Oilers finally have a just passable NHL D group trading Larsson would expose the lack of depth really fast.
We saw last game that Jones isnt ready for a more advanced role. Davidson I addressed above. Benning is JUST barely passable on the third pair and couldn't play higher.
The Oilers would have to very sure that the have a equally priced or cheaper replacement that is 100% ready to step in before they can afford to move anyone from the D group.

Survivor LXI Champion

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 23 October 2019 08:54

Your winner and nnnneeeeeeeewwwwwwwww champion...

PlusOne (Bos)

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748463 is a reply to message #748256 ]
Mon, 02 December 2019 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 20:30

As far as trading Larsson it HAS to be in a move that makes the team better. The Oilers finally have a just passable NHL D group trading Larsson would expose the lack of depth really fast.
We saw last game that Jones isnt ready for a more advanced role. Davidson I addressed above. Benning is JUST barely passable on the third pair and couldn't play higher.
The Oilers would have to very sure that the have a equally priced or cheaper replacement that is 100% ready to step in before they can afford to move anyone from the D group.

I agree with all of this. Once Larsson goes, we are one Klefbom or Bear injury away from talking about the draft lottery. Never again!

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748476 is a reply to message #748463 ]
Mon, 02 December 2019 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Mon, 02 December 2019 12:20

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 20:30

I agree with all of this. Once Larsson goes, we are one Klefbom or Bear injury away from talking about the draft lottery. Never again!

Exception here is if either Jones starts developing rapidly, or Bouchard comes up and excels. Even a rebound by Persson could help - he looked pretty good early in the year.

I'm VERY comfortable with the Oilers cutting loose Russell if they can, but I think Larsson is still up the depth chart there and I'm a little more leery of a deal involving him in-season this year. Next summer? Well, maybe.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748644 is a reply to message #748476 ]
Wed, 04 December 2019 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

If the Oilers make the playoffs this year, a guy like Larsson is very valuable. We all know the refs put the whistle away and it becomes a battle royal so a big, nasty, physical guy like Larsson is a playoff dman. I think you can live without a Russell in the playoffs. He's a vet so that is a small plus for him but he's not big or physical.

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748646 is a reply to message #748644 ]
Wed, 04 December 2019 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 04 December 2019 17:33

If the Oilers make the playoffs this year, a guy like Larsson is very valuable. We all know the refs put the whistle away and it becomes a battle royal so a big, nasty, physical guy like Larsson is a playoff dman. I think you can live without a Russell in the playoffs. He's a vet so that is a small plus for him but he's not big or physical.

I think Russell is the type of guy you want in the playoffs too. Dude has no fear, will block anything in sight too. *knock on wood* if we make it this year, I think you’d want as much better presence possible especially with Bear, Jones, Persson around.

Two time Survivor CHAMP

#MUSTWIN

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748647 is a reply to message #748646 ]
Wed, 04 December 2019 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 04 December 2019 16:49

I think Russell is the type of guy you want in the playoffs too. Dude has no fear, will block anything in sight too. *knock on wood* if we make it this year, I think you’d want as much better presence possible especially with Bear, Jones, Persson around.

Respectfully, I disagree. He was fine in the playoffs his first year with Edmonton, but he was far from a big contributor. The playoffs showed how much it hurt to lose Klefbom and Sekera...puck moving guys...more than it showed any need for a cowboy who blocks a lot of rubber.

Give me a puck-moving defenceman over Russell any day of the week.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748652 is a reply to message #748647 ]
Wed, 04 December 2019 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 04 December 2019 17:54

Respectfully, I disagree. He was fine in the playoffs his first year with Edmonton, but he was far from a big contributor. The playoffs showed how much it hurt to lose Klefbom and Sekera...puck moving guys...more than it showed any need for a cowboy who blocks a lot of rubber.

I respect you’re respectful disagreement.

I know I’m in the minority around here with my liking Russell. Not saying I like his price tag. But come playoff time, I’d be more than happy having him on the third pair and 2nd P.K. unit.

Two time Survivor CHAMP

#MUSTWIN

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748657 is a reply to message #748652 ]
Wed, 04 December 2019 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 04 December 2019 18:26

I know I’m in the minority around here with my liking Russell. Not saying I like his price tag. But come playoff time, I’d be more than happy having him on the third pair and 2nd P.K. unit.

Dont worry, Klefbom has taken over as the shot blocking specialist. He is 30 in front of Russell and leads the entire league in blocked shots!

As far as thinking "big, nasty, physical guy like Larsson" that is now a myth as well. I dont know if it is his lingering back issues or what but last year and for the few games this year he has looked soft as butter

Survivor LXI Champion

PlusOne (Bos)

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748669 is a reply to message #748657 ]
Wed, 04 December 2019 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 04 December 2019 20:42

Dont worry, Klefbom has taken over as the shot blocking specialist. He is 30 in front of Russell and leads the entire league in blocked shots!

As far as thinking "big, nasty, physical guy like Larsson" that is now a myth as well. I dont know if it is his lingering back issues or what but last year and for the few games this year he has looked soft as butter

Klefbom was labouring after blocking that last shot at the end of the period just now... if he misses time it’s on you icon_wink

Two time Survivor CHAMP

#MUSTWIN

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748672 is a reply to message #748669 ]
Wed, 04 December 2019 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 04 December 2019 21:21

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 04 December 2019 20:42

Klefbom was labouring after blocking that last shot at the end of the period just now... if he misses time it’s on you icon_wink

Nope, that is all on him for trying to out cowboy Russell. The truculence gods will have none of that and will strike him down

Survivor LXI Champion

PlusOne (Bos)

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748671 is a reply to message #748657 ]
Wed, 04 December 2019 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 04 December 2019 19:42

Klef has been the teams babysitter this year :) He's done well playing with so many inexperienced D.

Man, I really wish Klef/Larsson of 2016/17 could come back. We would be in good shape in the top 4 if that form could come back.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748741 is a reply to message #748647 ]
Thu, 05 December 2019 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 04 December 2019 16:54

I agree with you. Shot blocking plays a role in hockey like it or not but in the playoffs, most guys are willing to sell out to block shots. So I wouldn't be worried if the Oilers lost Russell, they wouldn't block enough shots. In my opinion especially in the playoffs, you need your defense core to have dmen that can skate, move the puck, be physical and win puck battles. Russell can skate, that's about it.

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748745 is a reply to message #748741 ]
Thu, 05 December 2019 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 05 December 2019 09:34

I agree with you. Shot blocking plays a role in hockey like it or not but in the playoffs, most guys are willing to sell out to block shots. So I wouldn't be worried if the Oilers lost Russell, they wouldn't block enough shots. In my opinion especially in the playoffs, you need your defense core to have dmen that can skate, move the puck, be physical and win puck battles. Russell can skate, that's about it.

McDavid CF% without Russell: 49.93%
McDavid CF% with Russell: 38.89%
Russell CF% without McDavid: 47.55%

That's just weird. Although, Russell without McDavid probably means he's playing against some weak competition, while McDavid is always drawing the best from other teams with or without Russell.

Regardless. That number together is butt ugly, and I wouldn't worry at all seeing Russell go. Dude still is a player that ensures you are consistently spending more time in your own end than the offensive zone because of his lack of puck moving ability. If he wasn't so good at shot blocking, he would be an AHLer already. The shot blocking kind of makes up for him being a detriment at almost everything else to do with playing hockey.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 December 2019 10:11]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Trading Larsson [message #748749 is a reply to message #748745 ]
Thu, 05 December 2019 11:05 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 05 December 2019 10:09

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 05 December 2019 09:34

McDavid CF% without Russell: 49.93%
McDavid CF% with Russell: 38.89%
Russell CF% without McDavid: 47.55%

That's just weird. Although, Russell without McDavid probably means he's playing against some weak competition, while McDavid is always drawing the best from other teams with or without Russell.

Regardless. That number together is butt ugly, and I wouldn't worry at all seeing Russell go. Dude still is a player that ensures you are consistently spending more time in your own end than the offensive zone because of his lack of puck moving ability. If he wasn't so good at shot blocking, he would be an AHLer already. The shot blocking kind of makes up for him being a detriment at almost everything else to do with playing hockey.

I do also think his tendency to give up the blueline easily and not to manage gaps particularly well causes issues defensively too. I don't think we have another defenceman more likely to get walked by a talented forward - usually with Russell doing snow angels on the ice.

I would love to see Russell land with a divisional rival - that first McDavid season, Russell got exposed with the Flames against 97's speed again and again...It would be great to see that repeated.

Previous Topic:Bogosian?
Next Topic:Anthanasiou
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca