This day on June 19
None

Happy Birthday To: Mark Moose-E-eh?, WELLOILEDMACHINE, oiler_head

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Zack Kassian allowed to look for a tradePages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Zack Kassian allowed to look for a trade [message #724514 is a reply to message #724438 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 09:51

nullterm wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 19:56

MacT was one of our better coaches, but beyond his best before.

I still bristle at the suggestion was a good coach. Better than the rest, but that's measuring against low expectations.

I think there's sufficient evidence to suggest he was a decent coach. They were always at least within field goal range of the playoffs, other than 2007, despite some rosters that were lacking in talent, and he outcoached Babcock and others in the 2006 playoffs. I don't think he's Scotty Bowman, but he wasn't bad at it.

Case in point - in his first season, he has 91-point Doug Weight leading the charge, and makes the playoffs with a 93 point season. He loses Weight in a brutally one-sided trade that summer, and still manages to have a 91 point season the following year (just missing the playoffs) despite the fact their best player is now 60-point Mike Comrie. He's back in the playoffs the next year with a 92 point season - led by 67-point Ryan Smyth.

Some of that is definitely Salo, who is underrated for just how good he was for the Oilers for a stretch there, but there's been a lot of rosters in the last several years much, much better than what MacT had to work with who didn't get nearly the same results.

For the record, if I was bringing back old coaches, Krueger, Renney and Nelson are all ahead of MacT on my list...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Zack Kassian allowed to look for a trade [message #724537 is a reply to message #724514 ]
Tue, 11 December 2018 09:00 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 22:42

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 09:51

nullterm wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 19:56

MacT was one of our better coaches, but beyond his best before.

I still bristle at the suggestion was a good coach. Better than the rest, but that's measuring against low expectations.

I think there's sufficient evidence to suggest he was a decent coach. They were always at least within field goal range of the playoffs, other than 2007, despite some rosters that were lacking in talent, and he outcoached Babcock and others in the 2006 playoffs. I don't think he's Scotty Bowman, but he wasn't bad at it.

Case in point - in his first season, he has 91-point Doug Weight leading the charge, and makes the playoffs with a 93 point season. He loses Weight in a brutally one-sided trade that summer, and still manages to have a 91 point season the following year (just missing the playoffs) despite the fact their best player is now 60-point Mike Comrie. He's back in the playoffs the next year with a 92 point season - led by 67-point Ryan Smyth.

Some of that is definitely Salo, who is underrated for just how good he was for the Oilers for a stretch there, but there's been a lot of rosters in the last several years much, much better than what MacT had to work with who didn't get nearly the same results.

For the record, if I was bringing back old coaches, Krueger, Renney and Nelson are all ahead of MacT on my list...

I don't accept that argument. MacTavish's best seasons were coached at the time when 3 of the 15 teams in the conference were sad sack recent expansion clubs, the Ducks were still the pre-Giguere Ducks, and the Flames were in the midst of a hilarious run of 7 years out of the playoffs. The club was also still coasting of the momentum built by the really underrated late-Sather years. MacTavish managed the decline of the Oilers as they entered the decade of darkness, but that's it.

This is fine.

Send a private message to this user  

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Parayko
Next Topic:New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca