This day on August 17
None

Happy Birthday To: Slim Jim Phantom Call, Ingenious_OilerFan, copper&blue, annie01, Kaizzer3

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717292]
Mon, 30 July 2018 10:23 Go to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Hello Friends and fellow Masochists!

We've been discussing what the Nurse contract should be over the past month or so, and I'm thinking, we should also discuss whether or not Nurse is good at hockey.

My bar for being good at hockey for Nurse is as follows: Being an average 4th d-man in the league.

This consists of the following characteristics:

1. Be in the top 115 among defenders in Corsi in at least one of the past two years.
2. Have positive WoWys with more than half the players he's on the ice with.
3. Be top 115 among defenders in points in at least one of the past two years.
4. Have good stats, while also having difficult zone starts.

Any other measures we should include?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717294 is a reply to message #717292 ]
Mon, 30 July 2018 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

He's still a work in progress as far as I'm concerned and is young enough to still be on the upswing in his develoment. I wouldn't put too much stock in his failures in the stats department just yet. Last year was a bad year for the whole team defensively / offensively/ goaltending wise/ and every other way. The oilers would be fools to think otherwise and should keep bringing him along because when he gets there his value will be unquestioned. That's my take anyway. Am guessing that his agent is making his signing difficult. Defense men usually take longer in their development and that's ok.

Re: Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717302 is a reply to message #717294 ]
Mon, 30 July 2018 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

He’s still raw, and mistakes by a young dman are magnified by the position given they carry alot of responsibility. And dmen typically take a longer time to mature given the weight of the position given they have to learn sink or swim against the best players.

My feeling is that Nurse will be at worst a second pair guy, but I suspect he’ll be a top pairing guy. He has all the physical tools you can dream for, he just needs time to develop the mental maturity and experience of what the smart play is.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717307 is a reply to message #717294 ]
Mon, 30 July 2018 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 30 July 2018 10:56

He's still a work in progress as far as I'm concerned and is young enough to still be on the upswing in his develoment. I wouldn't put too much stock in his failures in the stats department just yet. Last year was a bad year for the whole team defensively / offensively/ goaltending wise/ and every other way. The oilers would be fools to think otherwise and should keep bringing him along because when he gets there his value will be unquestioned. That's my take anyway. Am guessing that his agent is making his signing difficult. Defense men usually take longer in their development and that's ok.

I am not at all bothered by an agent trying to get the best deal for his client. That's his job. It's the job of the Oilers management to convince Nurse and his representative that less money is fair or that he should take less money to help them be successful - although they have made it very hard to convince anyone of this, since they have had a habit of over-paying. It makes it hard to be the guy to sacrifice for the team when one guy you're going to be playing ahead of on the left side is making $4MM per year for the next three years with a no-move clause.

I don't believe that Nurse is ever going to demonstrate "Norris Trophy potential", but that doesn't mean he isn't a useful player. He's young, he's improving, he's played on almost only bad teams so far, which makes him harder to judge on advanced stats unless you're looking at it on a relative basis. Shots for and against are team-stats, because you can only impact so much when you're on the ice. There's a certain amount of plays that happen with no relation to your play.

I think Nurse has great skating ability, but his passing needs improvement and his shot is not very good. His choice on shots is also poor - shooting often from long-range with no traffic in front, but some of that I believe is on coaching, which seemed to want the d-men to waste those shots last year on some wing-and-a-prayer hope that they'd eventually get a small percentage to go it. He's strong, he's got a bit of a mean streak, and he's improving at his positional play and hockey smarts.

I think he's a top 4 on half the teams in the league right now, and that almost every GM would count on him to become a top-4 guy eventually at minimum.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717303 is a reply to message #717292 ]
Mon, 30 July 2018 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

I'm not sure why we are even discussing this.

He was 2nd on the team in TOI/60
He was 1st on the team in SH TOI/60
He was almost last in PP TOI/60
He was 35th in the league in ES scoring by defencemen
He was 2nd on the team at +15

He had a massive jump in productivity last year. He's still only 23, he's got at least 2 more years before he begins to hit his peak. He seems to have the defensive part of the game figured out, but is still working on offence. That being said, he was much better last year.

I think it hurts him to be behind Klefbom and Sekera who are both left-handed. It hurts his chances to be on the PP, and can create an awkward situation where he ends up on the 3rd pairing sometimes.

If he gets the 6-8 year, $5 million per year contract, I think thats fair.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 July 2018 22:30]

Re: Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717304 is a reply to message #717303 ]
Mon, 30 July 2018 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Hmmmm....well he plays in the National Hockey League so my vote would be good icon_rolleyes

Re: Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717305 is a reply to message #717304 ]
Mon, 30 July 2018 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

So did Steve McIntyre.

Re: Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717354 is a reply to message #717292 ]
Wed, 01 August 2018 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Saw this on twtiter. A comparison of Oilers D using some proprietary stats (zone entries, exists, defense of entries being the ones a typical fan can't readily get their hands on).

Keep in mind, these are percentiles for the player in each category, so being high for something like allowing entries is actually good, means you allowed less than most guys. Data is not accounting for competition and teammate quality just to note.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Djg8giVUUAAD9Ee.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Djg8f3gUYAAaoAg.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Djg8hGTUUAAGz_J.png

God...Russell. Bad by almost every measure. Horrible at preventing zone entries with possession. Of course we all know that, guy just backs up and looks for a chance to block a shot.

And Nurse looking pretty good in terms of getting things going offensively. Average in terms of defending.

Poor Sek didn't have the legs to do anything on the offensive side of the red line. Should see an improvement from him next year.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 August 2018 12:44]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717375 is a reply to message #717354 ]
Wed, 01 August 2018 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 August 2018 12:38

Saw this on twtiter. A comparison of Oilers D using some proprietary stats (zone entries, exists, defense of entries being the ones a typical fan can't readily get their hands on).

Keep in mind, these are percentiles for the player in each category, so being high for something like allowing entries is actually good, means you allowed less than most guys. Data is not accounting for competition and teammate quality just to note.

God...Russell. Bad by almost every measure. Horrible at preventing zone entries with possession. Of course we all know that, guy just backs up and looks for a chance to block a shot.

And Nurse looking pretty good in terms of getting things going offensively. Average in terms of defending.

Poor Sek didn't have the legs to do anything on the offensive side of the red line. Should see an improvement from him next year.

Quote:

Three more years! Three more years!

I'd love to see a league-wide comparison before I pass judgement (I am guessing these numbers are Oilers specific), but I'm liking those numbers from Nurse.

Nurse - Larsson
Klef - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Is how I'd come out on opening night barring a trade/signing/injury. Nurse and Benning are playing up from where they should be (2LD and 3RD), and that third pairing in a giant money pit that has the potential to be set ablaze of Sekera doesn't bounce back. But it is certainly not the worse d-corp we have iced in recent years.

Overall, I'm hesitant to move Nurse and would want until the deadline to gather more data points. Suspect Klefbom is the vulnerable one in the group (maybe Benning too, but he is a PC hire, so there's that bias), though I suspect moving him would result in another PC special at 50 cents on the dollar (Klefbom for a 3RW, Sekera would slide up, Russel to the left side, and Bear/Bouchard taking the 3RD spot).

Re: Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717387 is a reply to message #717375 ]
Thu, 02 August 2018 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Agree on waiting for league wide.

Nice chart all the same.

It does point out that the Oilers would be worse off with Nurse, which is scary.

Klef is better than I thought according to these metrics.

Re: Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717388 is a reply to message #717387 ]
Thu, 02 August 2018 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 02 August 2018 08:20

Nice chart all the same.

It does point out that the Oilers would be worse off with Nurse, which is scary.

Found the tool these were made from, public for all with all the players (D and forwards) for the last 2 seasons.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/christopher.turtoro#!/viz home/2-yearA3ZPlayerComps/ComparisonDashboard

Check out McDavid.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 August 2018 08:24]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey? [message #717390 is a reply to message #717388 ]
Thu, 02 August 2018 08:25 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 02 August 2018 08:21

Magnum wrote on Thu, 02 August 2018 08:20

Nice chart all the same.

Found the tool these were made from, public for all with all the players (D and forwards) for the last 2 seasons.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/christopher.turtoro#!/viz home/2-yearA3ZPlayerComps/ComparisonDashboard

Check out McDavid.

Thanks, now my work productivity just went the way of the Oilers success.
icon_biggrin

Wow, he even owns Ovie and Crosby.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 August 2018 08:26]

Previous Topic:If Chia fails, then who?
Next Topic:Oilers sign Josh Currie 2 Years
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca