This day on July 22
Acquired: Kari Makkonen (1979) Greg Adams (1988) Bill Huard (1997)
Departed: Geoff Courtnall (1988) Shaun Van Allen (1993) Chris Ferraro (1999)

Happy Birthday To: TYDO, CamJan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #696349]
Sat, 24 June 2017 09:15 Go to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

FINAL RANK: 5 MIDTERM RANK: 9
POSITION: Goalie CATCHES: Left
HEIGHT: 6' 3" WEIGHT: 200
BORN: November 1, 1998 HOMETOWN: Edmonton, Alta.
BORN IN: Edmonton, AB, CAN
DRAFTED: 2017: EDM (3rd Round / 78th Overall)

STATISTICS

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP GAA MIN SO SV%
2016-2017 LETHBRIDGE WHL 60 3.26 3386 2 0.905
2015-2016 LETHBRIDGE WHL 44 2.73 2238 3 0.920
2014-2015 LETHBRIDGE WHL 43 3.69 2327 1 0.909
2013-2014 LETHBRIDGE WHL 4 5.17 197 0 0.866

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #696350 is a reply to message #696349 ]
Sat, 24 June 2017 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oilers traded #82 and #126 for #78 to select Stuart Skinner

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #696364 is a reply to message #696350 ]
Sat, 24 June 2017 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

They basically traded away the Yakupov 3rd rd pick for this guy. Tall typical goalie that is invited to the Canadian Junior summer camp in Calgary with Dylan Wells. Could be a solid pick up. Chiarelli is creating A LOT of competition at Goalie position, Lots of guys to develope & compete....I like that.

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #706930 is a reply to message #696364 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan is currently online GabbyDugan

No Cups

Skinner gets traded to the Swift Current Broncos...

http://whl.ca/article/whl-trade-deadline-2018-live-blog

..."Of all the deals trading the present for the future, the Swift Current Broncos and Lethbridge Hurricanes may have just made the trade of the 2017-18 Western Hockey League season, significantly altering the paths of both clubs.

The Broncos put themselves all-in in the Eastern Conference Monday, acquiring Edmonton Oilers goaltending prospect Stuart Skinner (1998) and captain Giorgio Estephan (1997) from the Central Division Hurricanes. Also headed to Swift Current is forward Tanner Nagel (1998)."...

....WHL trade deadline 3PM MST today...

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #706963 is a reply to message #706930 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 09:51

Skinner gets traded to the Swift Current Broncos...

http://whl.ca/article/whl-trade-deadline-2018-live-blog

..."Of all the deals trading the present for the future, the Swift Current Broncos and Lethbridge Hurricanes may have just made the trade of the 2017-18 Western Hockey League season, significantly altering the paths of both clubs.

The Broncos put themselves all-in in the Eastern Conference Monday, acquiring Edmonton Oilers goaltending prospect Stuart Skinner (1998) and captain Giorgio Estephan (1997) from the Central Division Hurricanes. Also headed to Swift Current is forward Tanner Nagel (1998)."...

....WHL trade deadline 3PM MST today...

Interesting. Skinner's numbers aren't particularly good (although on a bad team) and the Broncos have two guys with better numbers. He's a year younger than the starter on the Broncos, and a couple years older than the 17-year old backup, so maybe this is about making sure they have a goalie tandem for next year? Or is there injuries there?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #707261 is a reply to message #706963 ]
Mon, 15 January 2018 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan is currently online GabbyDugan

No Cups

...didn't take long for Skinner to settle in with his new team

http://whl.ca/article/broncos-skinner-named-whl-goaltender-o f-the-week

....why do I always see a glimmer of hope in so many Oiler goalie prospects? frustrated crazy

edit to add :Skinner was named as the CHL goaltender of the week for the same week...

http://chl.ca/article/broncos-stuart-skinner-named-vaughn-ch l-goaltender-of-the-week

...got that January 27 game broadcast Regina at Swift Current marked in my daytimer already...

[Updated on: Tue, 16 January 2018 14:59]

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #707281 is a reply to message #696349 ]
Tue, 16 January 2018 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

We'll get to see Skinner and Cameron Hebig in a couple weeks, they play against each other broadcast on sportsnet..

Quote:

Saturday, Jan. 27, CHL Saturday Showcase: Regina @ Swift Current, 3:30 p.m. ET / 12:30 p.m. PT (Sportsnet)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #714598 is a reply to message #696349 ]
Mon, 14 May 2018 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Oilers sign Stuart Skinner to entry-level deal:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-sign-stuart-skinn er-to-entry-level-deal/

Quote:

The Edmonton Oilers have signed goaltending prospect Stuart Skinner to a three-year, entry-level contract.

Skinner was taken in the third round (78th overall) of the 2017 NHL Draft.

The 19-year-old helped lead the WHL’s Swift Current Broncos to the Mastercard Memorial Cup this season, having posted a .932 save percentage in the WHL playoffs.

https://i.imgur.com/N9I9dc8.jpg?1

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #714600 is a reply to message #714598 ]
Mon, 14 May 2018 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 11:58

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-sign-stuart-skinn er-to-entry-level-deal/

Quote:

The Edmonton Oilers have signed goaltending prospect Stuart Skinner to a three-year, entry-level contract.

The 19-year-old helped lead the WHL’s Swift Current Broncos to the Mastercard Memorial Cup this season, having posted a .932 save percentage in the WHL playoffs.

Good for the Oilers. I am sure he is years away but its been a very long time since the Oilers had any kind of goalie prospect that had any kind of excitement. I would hope he turns pro as I don't see what else at junior he has to prove.

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #714615 is a reply to message #714600 ]
Mon, 14 May 2018 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 12:03

Quote:

Good for the Oilers. I am sure he is years away but its been a very long time since the Oilers had any kind of goalie prospect that had any kind of excitement. I would hope he turns pro as I don't see what else at junior he has to prove.

I never get excited about any 20-year old netminder, especially one with mediocre numbers and one hot playoff run. That's how teams end up with Andrew Hammonds...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #714621 is a reply to message #714615 ]
Tue, 15 May 2018 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 23:00

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 12:03

Quote:

I never get excited about any 20-year old netminder, especially one with mediocre numbers and one hot playoff run. That's how teams end up with Andrew Hammonds...

Well if we ever get back to the playoffs we know this guy will be good for at least one game there...

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #714629 is a reply to message #696349 ]
Tue, 15 May 2018 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Well really even in the past few years we had some "promising" goalie prospects that never even got close to playing for the Oilers. I'm not sure Brossoit will be around much longer. Jeff Deslauriers played in the bigs a bit. Remember Olivier Roy and Tyler Bunz? Skinner will probably follow the footsteps of those guys, don't really trust the development of players in this organization.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #714630 is a reply to message #714629 ]
Tue, 15 May 2018 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 15 May 2018 10:18

Well really even in the past few years we had some "promising" goalie prospects that never even got close to playing for the Oilers. I'm not sure Brossoit will be around much longer. Jeff Deslauriers played in the bigs a bit. Remember Olivier Roy and Tyler Bunz? Skinner will probably follow the footsteps of those guys, don't really trust the development of players in this organization.

What? You don't like the LB system where they never allow a goalie to establish himself as a starter in either the ECHL or AHL before promoting him to the big leagues, where he inevitably fails and is thrown out because no one in management has the foresight to build anything resembling goalie depth?

Fun mental exercise for the current Edmonton Oilers: they have six goalie positions available in the system... are you comfortable with the current options for any of them? Do you like the NHL starter, NHL back up, AHL starter, AHL backup, ECHL starter, or ECHL backup? In how many of these roles do you know the players that will fill them?

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #714633 is a reply to message #714630 ]
Tue, 15 May 2018 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 15 May 2018 10:38

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 15 May 2018 10:18

What? You don't like the LB system where they never allow a goalie to establish himself as a starter in either the ECHL or AHL before promoting him to the big leagues, where he inevitably fails and is thrown out because no one in management has the foresight to build anything resembling goalie depth?

Fun mental exercise for the current Edmonton Oilers: they have six goalie positions available in the system... are you comfortable with the current options for any of them? Do you like the NHL starter, NHL back up, AHL starter, AHL backup, ECHL starter, or ECHL backup? In how many of these roles do you know the players that will fill them?

I like the NHL starter. I think it was a bad year for him, but if bounces back to career averages, which is a fair bet, he's good there.

Montoya as #3 isn't the worst, but only because there isn't a young prospect in that spot. Ideally you want a young goalie on the verge of the NHL getting most of those minutes.

That, to me, is a glaring weakness. Pickard and Subban could have been picked up for free last season. Either one would be a welcome addition right now.

As for Skinner, he's earned a contract. But that's all at this point. He had a hot playoff run, but as an overager. Goalie trajectories are hard to predict, so hopefully he trends up, and I'm glad they signed him, but if they are already counting on him for anything beyond being an unknown and unproven goalie, that's how you end up not building depth, you count the eggs before they are hatched.

That said, he's probably jumped Wells and Starrett on the depth chart (Oilers probably wishing they hadn't signed those two), and LB and Ellis aren't likely to be qualified, so he's probably the #4 in the system currently. Which is more scary than comforting.

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #714637 is a reply to message #714633 ]
Tue, 15 May 2018 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

Stewie needs to be in the ECHL putting time in as the starter there. IF and thats a big IF, should he play well move him to the AHL at the midpoint of the season to see how he does against higher level of competition. He shouldn't even be sniffing the Oilers roster until 2021

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Oilers select 3rd rd (#78) - Stuart Skinner [message #714906 is a reply to message #696349 ]
Wed, 23 May 2018 21:32 Go to previous message

1 Cup

Just got beat by Hebig to pretty much knock them out of the Mmm Cup. He had a very good tournament, I'm encouraged.

Previous Topic:Oilers sign Koskinen
Next Topic:Wichita Thunder
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca