This day on December 5
Acquired: Kevin McClelland (1983) Jeff Brubaker (1985)
Departed: Tom Roulston (1983) Reed Larson (1988)

Happy Birthday To: webmaster_ecvsv, haggard, oil_1984

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692538 is a reply to message #692537 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Rock wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 19:31

Let's not forget the Guy on CBC picking the Flames to go to the Cup Final

Who says those things ???

TALKING HEADS for sure !!

doh

Who could also forget this beautifully written article:

https://www.nhl.com/news/why-calgary-flames-will-win-stanley -cup/c-288601674

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Send a private message to this user  

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692539 is a reply to message #692538 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 21:44

Rock wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 19:31

Let's not forget the Guy on CBC picking the Flames to go to the Cup Final

Who says those things ???

TALKING HEADS for sure !!

doh

Who could also forget this beautifully written article:

https://www.nhl.com/news/why-calgary-flames-will-win-stanley -cup/c-288601674

lmao

Good to know nhl.com loved the Flames too.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692540 is a reply to message #692539 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drummerinblack  is currently offline drummerinblack

No Cups

This Tim Miller guy is a little fishy... The Flames article is laughable, yes, but it seems he also wrote another very similar article... with a different team winning the Cup.

https://www.nhl.com/news/why-edmonton-oilers-will-win-stanle y-cup/c-288633774?tid=287344776

The weird thing about that article is that the byline, date, and author of the article are hidden... if you highlight the blank area underneath the headline, this is what used to be there:

Quote:

Play of 20-year-old captain, goalie Cam Talbot reasons why Edmonton wins first championship since 1990
by Tim Campbell @TimNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer April 9th, 2017

Looking to curry favour from the two Alberta teams, by saying they'll both win the Cup... weird.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692541 is a reply to message #692540 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

drummerinblack wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 20:31

This Tim Miller guy is a little fishy... The Flames article is laughable, yes, but it seems he also wrote another very similar article... with a different team winning the Cup.

https://www.nhl.com/news/why-edmonton-oilers-will-win-stanle y-cup/c-288633774?tid=287344776

The weird thing about that article is that the byline, date, and author of the article are hidden... if you highlight the blank area underneath the headline, this is what used to be there:

Quote:

Play of 20-year-old captain, goalie Cam Talbot reasons why Edmonton wins first championship since 1990

Looking to curry favour from the two Alberta teams, by saying they'll both win the Cup... weird.

I should apply to be a writer for NHL.com, because I can make up horsecrap too. I could make it more entertaining to read to boot, since credibility is apparently not a requirement for this job.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692547 is a reply to message #692541 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DeZoE  is currently offline DeZoE

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 20:40

Quote:

I should apply to be a writer for NHL.com, because I can make up horsecrap too. I could make it more entertaining to read to boot, since credibility is apparently not a requirement for this job.

Didn't they do that for every team in the playoffs?

I'm not wearing pants...

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692557 is a reply to message #692547 ]
Tue, 25 April 2017 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

DeZoE wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 22:29

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 20:40

Quote:

Didn't they do that for every team in the playoffs?

Hopefully he did one for even the teams outside of the playoffs. I want to read the reason the Avalanche are winning the Cup this year.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692545 is a reply to message #692540 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

Quote:

I'm pretty sure he wrote a 'Why <Team> will win the Stanley Cup' article for every team. Just a series he did before the playoffs.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692572 is a reply to message #692512 ]
Tue, 25 April 2017 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 12:06

All these guys who think they know better than the GM because their spread sheet says so keep questioning all these moves, keep questioning everything the coach does. They continuously keep saying "Yeah but the numbers...." Yet all these moves are working and the Oilers keep winning. At what point do these guy look at the spread sheet and say maybe they aren't totally right?

You seem to hold the belief that if the team is winning, then there should be nothing to complain about when it comes to the job the coach and GM are doing. I've noticed that you don't extend this protection to the players. Win or lose, you seem to grumble about specific guys, much like you're complaining Sunil Agnihotri and Matt Henderson do about Russell.

The fact is, there's no such thing as perfection. These guys are providing analysis based on results. And the thing with them, especially with Agnihotri, is that he'll back up his arguments with solid analytical proof of what he's saying. I find Henderson can get a bit preachy sometimes, and no doubt, everyone has their own preconceived biases that can impact the way they look at the game and even the numbers.

These guys are fans and want the best for the team. They're looking with a critical eye, but that's a good thing, and hopefully the team management has moved past the days where they blindly think they're the smartest in the room and ignore all dissenting views.

For me, I think the coaching wasn't phenomenal in round 1, and I worry a little that McLellan doesn't always fully use his tool bag during games. He's slow to react to adjustments made by the other team. The Sharks knew that the Oilers system calls for dropping to trailers, both the weird one in the neutral zone, but also very often just after coming across the blueline. And because they were prepared for it, they turned those over way more than we've seen teams do for most of the year. The Oilers struggled to complete passes, in part because the Sharks were well prepared to defend against what the Oilers wanted to do. We won because we're the better team, and vastly more healthy, but there was definitely significant room for improvement.

And Russell does struggle with moving the puck. The Sharks, as expected, tried to pressure our right side defence, and they were fairly effective there, leading to lots of turnovers after the Oilers gained possession in the defensive zone.

The other clear challenge with this team is the tendency to shift to a more passive, protect-the-house system when they have a lead. We saw in Game 1 and Game 6 the problems with that, as we go from taking it to the other team, to throttling back and letting them control the pace. That allows a slower team to skate with us, and it reduces our chances of building on our lead and really putting a team away. It may have been partly nerves-related, but it also looks like it is a coach's decision to change the level of attack during the game for a more conservative approach. I think it's a mistake, because if they played like they did in overtime in Game 5 more often, that series might have been over even quicker. I hope that they're more aggressive with the lead in the next round against the Ducks.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692581 is a reply to message #692572 ]
Tue, 25 April 2017 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 April 2017 15:19

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 12:06

All these guys who think they know better than the GM because their spread sheet says so keep questioning all these moves, keep questioning everything the coach does. They continuously keep saying "Yeah but the numbers...." Yet all these moves are working and the Oilers keep winning. At what point do these guy look at the spread sheet and say maybe they aren't totally right?

You seem to hold the belief that if the team is winning, then there should be nothing to complain about when it comes to the job the coach and GM are doing. I've noticed that you don't extend this protection to the players. Win or lose, you seem to grumble about specific guys, much like you're complaining Sunil Agnihotri and Matt Henderson do about Russell.

The fact is, there's no such thing as perfection. These guys are providing analysis based on results. And the thing with them, especially with Agnihotri, is that he'll back up his arguments with solid analytical proof of what he's saying. I find Henderson can get a bit preachy sometimes, and no doubt, everyone has their own preconceived biases that can impact the way they look at the game and even the numbers.

These guys are fans and want the best for the team. They're looking with a critical eye, but that's a good thing, and hopefully the team management has moved past the days where they blindly think they're the smartest in the room and ignore all dissenting views.

For me, I think the coaching wasn't phenomenal in round 1, and I worry a little that McLellan doesn't always fully use his tool bag during games. He's slow to react to adjustments made by the other team. The Sharks knew that the Oilers system calls for dropping to trailers, both the weird one in the neutral zone, but also very often just after coming across the blueline. And because they were prepared for it, they turned those over way more than we've seen teams do for most of the year. The Oilers struggled to complete passes, in part because the Sharks were well prepared to defend against what the Oilers wanted to do. We won because we're the better team, and vastly more healthy, but there was definitely significant room for improvement.

And Russell does struggle with moving the puck. The Sharks, as expected, tried to pressure our right side defence, and they were fairly effective there, leading to lots of turnovers after the Oilers gained possession in the defensive zone.

The other clear challenge with this team is the tendency to shift to a more passive, protect-the-house system when they have a lead. We saw in Game 1 and Game 6 the problems with that, as we go from taking it to the other team, to throttling back and letting them control the pace. That allows a slower team to skate with us, and it reduces our chances of building on our lead and really putting a team away. It may have been partly nerves-related, but it also looks like it is a coach's decision to change the level of attack during the game for a more conservative approach. I think it's a mistake, because if they played like they did in overtime in Game 5 more often, that series might have been over even quicker. I hope that they're more aggressive with the lead in the next round against the Ducks.

Well since you are all knowing. What is your solution to Russell going into round 2 of the playoffs? Should they scratch him for the rest of the playoffs? There's no waiver wire pick ups to or no trades. So what's the answer? Who's playing for Russell since according to you and the haters, he's terrible?

In 6 games, the Oilers including "terrible" Russell allowed 14 goals. That's 2.33 goals per game. Take out game 4 where it was a disaster and every guy sucked and they allowed 7 goals in 5 games with 2 shut out. That's 1.4 goals per game. God must be an Oilers fans and stepped in because how is it possible to get 2 shut outs and allow less than 1.5 goals a game in 5 games when you put Russell out on the ice close to 20 mins a night. Any explanation other than divine intervention?

Am I a Russell fan? No
Do I think he is an elite dman? Not even close.
Do I think long term he is a solution for the Oilers? No.
Would I like to see a different dman in his #4 spot. Ideally, yes.

But for the 2016-2016 season, Russell stepped in and did a decent enough job. Not perfect but good enough that the Oilers were second in their division, 2 pts out of first, improved by a whopping 33 pts and hosted round 1 of the playoffs. In the playoffs while not perfect, he was good enough to play a top 4 position and beat the western conference champs in 6 games, helped get 2 shut outs in that series and except for 1 bad game by the entire team, helped his team hold the Sharks to 1.4 goals per game.

So like I said. There is not a bloody thing the Oilers can do to change him out. He helped his team win their first playoff round since 06 and have a really good chance to win this round as well. So I don't see the point in beating a dead horse over and over again when there isn't a damn thing that can be done about him at this time of the year.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692584 is a reply to message #692581 ]
Tue, 25 April 2017 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 25 April 2017 16:34

Well since you are all knowing. What is your solution to Russell going into round 2 of the playoffs? Should they scratch him for the rest of the playoffs? There's no waiver wire pick ups to or no trades. So what's the answer? Who's playing for Russell since according to you and the haters, he's terrible?

In 6 games, the Oilers including "terrible" Russell allowed 14 goals. That's 2.33 goals per game. Take out game 4 where it was a disaster and every guy sucked and they allowed 7 goals in 5 games with 2 shut out. That's 1.4 goals per game. God must be an Oilers fans and stepped in because how is it possible to get 2 shut outs and allow less than 1.5 goals a game in 5 games when you put Russell out on the ice close to 20 mins a night. Any explanation other than divine intervention?

Am I a Russell fan? No
Do I think he is an elite dman? Not even close.
Do I think long term he is a solution for the Oilers? No.
Would I like to see a different dman in his #4 spot. Ideally, yes.

But for the 2016-2016 season, Russell stepped in and did a decent enough job. Not perfect but good enough that the Oilers were second in their division, 2 pts out of first, improved by a whopping 33 pts and hosted round 1 of the playoffs. In the playoffs while not perfect, he was good enough to play a top 4 position and beat the western conference champs in 6 games, helped get 2 shut outs in that series and except for 1 bad game by the entire team, helped his team hold the Sharks to 1.4 goals per game.

So like I said. There is not a bloody thing the Oilers can do to change him out. He helped his team win their first playoff round since 06 and have a really good chance to win this round as well. So I don't see the point in beating a dead horse over and over again when there isn't a damn thing that can be done about him at this time of the year.

While I thank you for the compliment, I'm by no means "all-knowing". As I mentioned in my preceding post, there's no such thing as perfection, and that even extends to me.

I don't think there's much of an option to playing Russell at this point. The Oilers dealt Davidson, who could have adequately covered for him, and now their only options are Gryba, Fayne, Reinhart, and Oesterle (who's possibly injured). I think Gryba is very slow and he can be exposed. I have no confidence in Reinhart. Oesterle without much big league experience and coming off an injury would worry me, and Fayne, while he may be fine, hasn't played in the NHL all year and has had his own footspeed issues to deal with. If the other team is going to game plan to force the right d-man, we only have one on that list who is a strong puckmover, and that's Oesterle. I don't jump him in to the second pairing. I think we're stuck with Russell for the time being.

Now, even you are saying he's not perfect and he's probably playing higher in the order than you'd like him to be, so I don't know why you have an issue with others saying the same thing and providing stats to back that up.

I know you prefer observation points to stats, so watch how often he lies down on the ice. It helps to block shots, but it exposes him and his defence partner, because if the other team doesn't shoot, he's out of position and can't quickly recover. Watch how seldom he completes any pass other than a D-to-D pass. And if the other team takes that option away, see how often we give up possession of the puck after Russell has it under complete control. Watch his gap control when the opposition is hitting the blue line. There's a significant gap, which means that there's little pressure on the puck carrier and less chance of him making a mistake, as well as more time to make a play.

Now, coaching could potentially help here. The coach could ask him to try to stay on his feet more, to watch his gap and to focus on making sure he's connecting with passes rather than just rifling the puck out of the zone. I'd like to say that there is something that could be done with match-ups, but defence is still the biggest area of weakness for the Oilers. Nurse & Benning are very young, and two guys that age are going to make their mistakes. You have to protect that pairing first and foremost and hope that Sekera can carry the second pair, even as they face decent competition.

If I was going to say what helps us win when Russell is on the ice a lot, it's probably A) goaltending and B) that that pairing gets a lot of time on ice with McDavid. When the other team is completely devoted to trying to stop your guy from scoring, it makes up for a lot of other deficiencies.

But where this conversation started is where we're at - you again assert that the team is winning, so there is no need to critique. I think that's the opposite of how good teams look at things. When they're winning, they're still looking at how they can get better and both working with the players they have to change behaviours, or thinking now about what changes that they can make later.

And this is a discussion board, so if you're reading here, you're probably going to come across people discussing the contributions of various players. I don't agree with every take either, but the fact that the team won the last series isn't a good argument against someone who says that he doesn't think Nugent-Hopkins is contributing enough. I need instead to show evidence of why he IS being effective, even if he hasn't scored a whack of points.

If you're going to defend Kris Russell, you might want to pull out shot-blocking stats as a starting point. I don't think it's very convincing, since it also indicates the other team takes a lot of shots while he's on the ice, but at least you can say he's clearly good at getting in shooting lanes. PK stats might be helpful too. It's a better argument than just complaining that people shouldn't be critical.

And as for the dead horse thing, I think it sounds funny coming from the poster who bumped the Taylor Hall trade thread at the end of a playoff round, as if that somehow makes your point that Larsson > Hall.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692576 is a reply to message #692465 ]
Tue, 25 April 2017 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Klef was practicing today for anyone that wants to have some happy thoughts.

Said he was getting chills on the bench, likely running a fever, but wanted to stay on the bench for gamesmanship reasons :)

[Updated on: Tue, 25 April 2017 15:38]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692601 is a reply to message #692465 ]
Wed, 26 April 2017 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Is this still called the Western Conference Semi Final or did the NHL go with the much cooler and better Pacific Division Final?

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692616 is a reply to message #692465 ]
Wed, 26 April 2017 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

We get Hughson/Simpson for our series. Ottawa gets Cole/Millen.

Oilers have finally reached the big time!

Hope to hear Hughson say "What a save by Bieksa!!!!" as the puck does into the Ducks net in a key moment.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692625 is a reply to message #692616 ]
Wed, 26 April 2017 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Javer  is currently offline Javer

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 26 April 2017 10:35

I didn't think Cole usually went past the first round anymore. I guess he called Ottawa in the round 1 so that makes sense. We'll see what happens in round 3.

The guy is a legend but he needs to retire with grace. It's a bit irritating the number of times calling a game he'll say the score, the time left, the implications of the game to the series, etc. Sometimes I think he does it to remind himself what he's doing. At least twice last round he said "here, at this hockey game" with emphasis as if to inform viewers what sport it was.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692639 is a reply to message #692625 ]
Wed, 26 April 2017 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Javer wrote on Wed, 26 April 2017 12:23

I didn't think Cole usually went past the first round anymore. I guess he called Ottawa in the round 1 so that makes sense. We'll see what happens in round 3.

The guy is a legend but he needs to retire with grace. It's a bit irritating the number of times calling a game he'll say the score, the time left, the implications of the game to the series, etc. Sometimes I think he does it to remind himself what he's doing. At least twice last round he said "here, at this hockey game" with emphasis as if to inform viewers what sport it was.

Bob Cole is amazing and I could listen to him forever and not get bored. I love that he says things like that, makes him unique. I also love when he goes all Yoda on the air too, "A great hockey player that McDavid is!" It's phenomenal.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692879 is a reply to message #692639 ]
Thu, 27 April 2017 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ducks-kevin-bieksa-doubtf ul-game-2-lower-body-injury/

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Lames ran him pretty hard in round 1, think he had some lingering effects and Oil finished the job. Ducks D looking a bit thin and inexperienced icon_thumbsup

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692883 is a reply to message #692639 ]
Fri, 28 April 2017 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Wed, 26 April 2017 13:49

Bob Cole is amazing and I could listen to him forever and not get bored. I love that he says things like that, makes him unique. I also love when he goes all Yoda on the air too, "A great hockey player that McDavid is!" It's phenomenal.

I thought he jumped the shark about a decade ago when he couldn't distinguish #27 Laraque from #37 Peca...

Phenomenal in his day, but that day is over now, and I don't think he sees the ice very well any more. Sometimes it's better to just go out gracefully.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692886 is a reply to message #692883 ]
Fri, 28 April 2017 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 April 2017 01:55

OilPeg wrote on Wed, 26 April 2017 13:49

I thought he jumped the shark about a decade ago when he couldn't distinguish #27 Laraque from #37 Peca...

Phenomenal in his day, but that day is over now, and I don't think he sees the ice very well any more. Sometimes it's better to just go out gracefully.

You should try and catch the Jets broadcasts on TSNJets and listen to Dennis Beyak. Talk about mixing people up...he often throws names out there of players who aren't even playing on either team. But the guy is crazy passionate for the Jets so it's ok.

You won't sway me on Cole though, he's a national treasure. I know it's probably 90% nostalgia but I love the guy.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #693324 is a reply to message #692886 ]
Tue, 02 May 2017 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

http://www.tsn.ca/ducks-eaves-in-walking-boot-after-game-3-1 .740527

Sure takes some firepower off the Getzlaf line

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #693327 is a reply to message #693324 ]
Tue, 02 May 2017 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 02 May 2017 11:23

http://www.tsn.ca/ducks-eaves-in-walking-boot-after-game-3-1 .740527

Sure takes some firepower off the Getzlaf line

I wonder, if Eaves indeed misses game 4, does Perry move up off the "third" line?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #693332 is a reply to message #693327 ]
Tue, 02 May 2017 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hero  is currently offline hero

No Cups

I hate that we have to wait an extra day to continue this series...

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692628 is a reply to message #692616 ]
Wed, 26 April 2017 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hope to hear Hughson say "What a save by Bieksa!!!!" as the puck does into the Ducks net in a key moment.

I like Simpson, Hughson is a good play by play guy but he's got way too much Canucks on the brain. I am sure Kesler and Biesksa will be portrayed as gods gift to hockey. Can't be any worse than round one with Dave Randorf. I know he's not the Oilers play by play guy and wants to try to sound a bit neutral but it is a Canadian broadcast station, he's broadcasting a Canadian team, I would expect him to sound at least the tiniest pro Canadian team. At times I was wondering if he was actually the Sharks guy. The Oilers won the series in 6, for most of the series was the better team but it was hard to tell based on Randorf going on and on about how great the Sharks were.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692633 is a reply to message #692628 ]
Wed, 26 April 2017 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 April 2017 12:30

I like Simpson, Hughson is a good play by play guy but he's got way too much Canucks on the brain. I am sure Kesler and Biesksa will be portrayed as gods gift to hockey. Can't be any worse than round one with Dave Randorf. I know he's not the Oilers play by play guy and wants to try to sound a bit neutral but it is a Canadian broadcast station, he's broadcasting a Canadian team, I would expect him to sound at least the tiniest pro Canadian team. At times I was wondering if he was actually the Sharks guy. The Oilers won the series in 6, for most of the series was the better team but it was hard to tell based on Randorf going on and on about how great the Sharks were.

True, but he's still better than Remenda.
Meanwhile people over on CP were whining about him being too pro-Oilers icon_rolleyes

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692634 is a reply to message #692633 ]
Wed, 26 April 2017 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 26 April 2017 12:47

Meanwhile people over on CP were whining about him being too pro-Oilers icon_rolleyes

I didn't mind Randorf. It's rare that the guy calling the play annoys me though. Mark Lee used to all the time because he was so blatantly anti-oilers. The joy in his voice every time something bad happened to us... sigh... Hughson calling Canucks games was terrible for that 2011 run right until the end, but awesome after that :)

Usually the colour guys are the guys that can be super annoying because they are talking the most while play is dead. Remenda is a total goof. Guys like healy too. Louie is great and so is Simpson.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692637 is a reply to message #692633 ]
Wed, 26 April 2017 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 26 April 2017 12:47

That is not saying much. icon_lol I have been waiting for Remenda to get caught with his mic on at the end of an Oilers game saying he hates the Oilers. He's supposed to be an Oilers broadcaster, it's OK to be a little bias instead of shredding the team you are calling.

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692626 is a reply to message #692465 ]
Wed, 26 April 2017 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg  is currently offline Greg

No Cups

https://image.ibb.co/fc8xT5/DuckHunt.jpg

Re: WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks [message #692880 is a reply to message #692465 ]
Thu, 27 April 2017 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

I need to find my 2006 MS paint art from the Ducks series.

Anyone else remember how a bunch of us had MS paint forum sigs during the run? Good times.

Carlyle Saying McDavid gets Preferential Treatment [message #693335 is a reply to message #692465 ]
Tue, 02 May 2017 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SunshinesDad  is currently offline SunshinesDad

No Cups

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/carlyle-says-mcdavid-gets-white-glo ve-treatment-1.740936

Wow, I can't believe the coach of Kesler and Getzlaf would go there.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-3PCGZ_c0m91rN7zn75aow

Re: Carlyle Saying McDavid gets Preferential Treatment [message #693336 is a reply to message #693335 ]
Tue, 02 May 2017 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Simply amazing. I would love to talk to anyone over a beer that could honestly believe this crap.

Re: Carlyle Saying McDavid gets Preferential Treatment [message #693337 is a reply to message #693336 ]
Tue, 02 May 2017 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Carlyle is a vet coach who comes from the time period where he thinks match ups and playing mind games wins you games. They don't. It's a stupid comment because all he did was give more fuel to the fire for the Oilers and McDavid. This isn't me being bias. The Ducks are all ready getting away with a ton on McDavid, so to say the refs are giving McDavid the white glove treatment is a joke. If he hasn't already been asked, I have no doubt a media guy will ask McDavid about it. McDavid will give a politically correct answer but deep inside I imagine it will piss him off and make him want to light up the Ducks even more.

In the last couple of games, McDavid has been coming. That burst is back which I believe was being hindered by the flu that was ravaging the team. The goal he scores last game was fantastic. So thanks Carlyle for poking McDavid for us.

Re: Carlyle Saying McDavid gets Preferential Treatment [message #693338 is a reply to message #693337 ]
Tue, 02 May 2017 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

What do we call the treatment Getzlaf has been getting all series?

https://oilersnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/usatsi_10038084.jpg?w=1024

This was one of two blatant trips on RNH during the game. The extra face shots and slashes during every game...I think it's just a coach trying to take the pressure off of his boys.

Re: Carlyle Saying McDavid gets Preferential Treatment [message #693346 is a reply to message #693338 ]
Tue, 02 May 2017 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ edmonton-oilers-coach-todd-mclellan-furious-at-jordan-eberle -says-team-insider

Re: Carlyle Saying McDavid gets Preferential Treatment [message #693347 is a reply to message #693346 ]
Tue, 02 May 2017 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 02 May 2017 22:03

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ edmonton-oilers-coach-todd-mclellan-furious-at-jordan-eberle -says-team-insider

Rishaug is really double and tripling down on any little tidbit he can get out of anyone these days :)

Eberle absolutely needs to do more out there. Just hope this little pile on is motivating for him. Not gonna be easy still no matter how hard he tries though. He can still eat up the Colorado's, Vancouver's, Calgary's, Philly's, even Pittsburgh. Those kinds of teams that play nice and loose and want to trade chances, suitable to his style, or teams that just plain suck. He will always have a damn hard time against solid defensive teams, harder than most relative to how he can perform against the other types of opposition.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 May 2017 22:09]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Carlyle Saying McDavid gets Preferential Treatment [message #693348 is a reply to message #693347 ]
Tue, 02 May 2017 22:21 Go to previous message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 02 May 2017 21:05

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 02 May 2017 22:03

Rishaug is really double and tripling down on any little tidbit he can get out of anyone these days :)

Eberle absolutely needs to do more out there. Just hope this little pile on is motivating for him. Not gonna be easy still no matter how hard he tries though. He can still eat up the Colorado's, Vancouver's, Calgary's, Philly's, even Pittsburgh. Those kinds of teams that play nice and loose and want to trade chances, suitable to his style, or teams that just plain suck. He will always have a damn hard time against solid defensive teams, harder than most relative to how he can perform against the other types of opposition.

He lost his goto of Yakupov bashing, so he has to find his new precious target.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Ted Lindsay Award finalists - Connor, Sid, Burns
Next Topic:Hart Trophy Finalists - McDavid, Crosby, Bobrovsky
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca