This day on March 30
None

Happy Birthday To: Corky, messier11

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566231]
Sat, 05 March 2011 22:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

3 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Colorado to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566232 is a reply to message #566231 ]
Sat, 05 March 2011 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
azashi  is currently offline azashi

No Cups

This... is a very interesting Oilers team. You kick them in the teeth and they keep coming right back up.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566236 is a reply to message #566232 ]
Sat, 05 March 2011 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shooter  is currently offline Shooter

No Cups

enjoy this one.....the next 4 games are gonna be rough

Here's a free lesson......

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566237 is a reply to message #566236 ]
Sat, 05 March 2011 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MacKnife  is currently offline MacKnife

No Cups

Well that was fun.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566238 is a reply to message #566231 ]
Sat, 05 March 2011 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

No Cups

Loved the great team effort. Everyone seemed to pick their work ethic up a bit to make up for all the missing stars.

Have to give Gilbert tons of credit for this game. As much as I hate his regular brain cramps, he played a complete game, start to finish with no glaring errors that I could see.

Also, compliments to Cogliano for his good two way play and being part of the flawless PK unit that shut down the 9th ranked PP unit of Colorado's 4 times and even contributed a shorthanded goal. rock

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566248 is a reply to message #566238 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NotLeeFogolin  is currently offline NotLeeFogolin

No Cups

v4ance wrote on Sat, 05 March 2011 22:46

Loved the great team effort. Everyone seemed to pick their work ethic up a bit to make up for all the missing stars.

Cute effort for sure but let's keep our eye in the prize and lose the next 5-6.

Burke > Tambellini

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566264 is a reply to message #566248 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoOilGo  is currently offline GoOilGo

No Cups

Exactly. We need to keep in mind that the goal of this year is another lottery pick, not to win games down the stretch. Pray for Ottawa/Colorado to get it together and muster a few wins.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566239 is a reply to message #566231 ]
Sat, 05 March 2011 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

And JF Jacques quietly registers NHL game # 147. Now there is 253 games until he gets that healthy NHL pension. I'm actually hoping he can do it, and do it while keeping under 30 points.

For how critical I am about MacIntyres role, he gets more done in less chances than this big stiff.

Nice win. Good for the boys

#CANCELbob

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566240 is a reply to message #566231 ]
Sat, 05 March 2011 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

The scary thing about this game is if this trend continues, Edmonton should finish with 72 points and Colorado with 66, so we have to hope that Ottawa picks up the pace or Larsson & Coutierer both won't be Oilers

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566241 is a reply to message #566231 ]
Sat, 05 March 2011 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

1 Cup

Is this After Hours with Renney?

It was supposed to be some Avs guys.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566243 is a reply to message #566231 ]
Sat, 05 March 2011 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

No Cups

Renney's response to a twitter question about why no Oilers went looking for retribution for the Hall fight. "Just because nothing happened, doesn't mean nothing won't..."

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566244 is a reply to message #566243 ]
Sat, 05 March 2011 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maurice  is currently offline Maurice

No Cups

I love the effort. That's what I want to see every night. I just hope they don't win too many games.

Cogliano is not and will never be a valuable part of the Edmonton Oilers. The day he is no longer on the Oilers NHL roster is the day they turn the corner to being a good team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566245 is a reply to message #566243 ]
Sat, 05 March 2011 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

1 Cup

v4ance wrote on Sun, 06 March 2011 01:03

Renney's response to a twitter question about why no Oilers went looking for retribution for the Hall fight. "Just because nothing happened, doesn't mean nothing won't..."

Because I know what hindsight means, I'll say right now I know exactly what certain Oilfans members are going to say about this interview.

And then when they say it, I'll say HA! Told you so.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566247 is a reply to message #566245 ]
Sat, 05 March 2011 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilerPunch  is currently offline OilerPunch

No Cups

nono Oh Oh Ottawa passed us for last tonight. No worries though because we "shouldn't" win another game on this road trip. I also noticed that on the Oilers website we don't have games in April. Can we forfeit games?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566249 is a reply to message #566247 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teammate Avry  is currently offline Teammate Avry

No Cups

I saw a bit of the game at friend's house before we left for a party, nice to see Giroux get his first as a member of the Oil, hopefully he will continue to make the most of his call up.

Ever heard of Avrysports.com? If not go check it out.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566253 is a reply to message #566249 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

No Cups

Anyone else notice the comments made by Weekes early in the game where he said Renney told him the biggest difference between the Oilers and the Av's was that Colorado came into this year expecting to contend while the Oilers did not so there was no pressure on them.

Doesn't that contradict what was said early in the season about wanting to contend and having that as a goal in mind for the season rebuild or not!?

Just doesn't sit well with me and makes me feel like mgmt knew they had a free pass on the season despite saying they'd "like" to contend for a playoff spot.

Is it just me? icon_smile

"McDavid is as good as I’ve seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years." Gretzky

"I think it goes without saying that there is a lot of pressure on me," McDavid

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566280 is a reply to message #566253 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SunshinesDad  is currently offline SunshinesDad

No Cups

Oilfanforever!! wrote on Sun, 06 March 2011 07:38

Anyone else notice the comments made by Weekes early in the game where he said Renney told him the biggest difference between the Oilers and the Av's was that Colorado came into this year expecting to contend while the Oilers did not so there was no pressure on them.

Doesn't that contradict what was said early in the season about wanting to contend and having that as a goal in mind for the season rebuild or not!?

Just doesn't sit well with me and makes me feel like mgmt knew they had a free pass on the season despite saying they'd "like" to contend for a playoff spot.

Is it just me? icon_smile

It is just you. I take that comment to mean that the whole hockey world expected the Avs to contend but didn't expect the Oilers to do anything so there was more pressure on the Avs. I don't take it to mean anything internally.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-3PCGZ_c0m91rN7zn75aow

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566256 is a reply to message #566243 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beerfish Revisited  is currently offline Beerfish Revisited

1 Cup

v4ance wrote on Sat, 05 March 2011 23:03

Justice delayed is justice denied.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566258 is a reply to message #566256 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

Beerfish Revisited wrote on Sun, 06 March 2011 09:06

Wrong.
Karma never forgets.

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566260 is a reply to message #566258 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

4 Cups

goffer48 wrote on Sun, 06 March 2011 10:24

Wrong.
Karma never forgets.

Karma never does, but the Oilers do.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566284 is a reply to message #566260 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 06 March 2011 09:35

Wrong.
Karma never forgets.

Karma never does, but the Oilers do.

Oh the Oilers remember all right, they just never do anything about it.
I saw Renney say that on After Hours, what a clown. He had half a game to do something about it, he chose not to.
He also said that he's "not the type of coach to tap a guy on the shoulder", it can "get a coach in trouble". (?) WTF does that mean? And then right after he says, " .. doesn't mean nothing won't (happen)", as if that won't "get him in trouble" now that he said it on the national TV. He's just making this crap up, first class BS'er, he's just trying to deflect criticism by him, as coach, not addressing the hammering Hall, an 18 year-old rookie, the Oiler meal ticket for the next 10+ years, has been taking all year. Even Ron McLean mentioned the hammering he's taken on Coaches Corner, and Grapes had a series of clips of Hall getting cranked.

Renney's the freaking coach, do your job you poodle.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566283 is a reply to message #566258 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beerfish Revisited  is currently offline Beerfish Revisited

1 Cup

Wrong.
Karma never forgets.

Karma? The oilers better not be relying on karma to protect their young stars. The next time the Oilers play the Av's 2 weeks from now, one of our middle weights will challenge Dorsett who is a fighter by trade. Have a tustle and people will applaud Vandemeer or strudwick for 'showing Dorsett what happens' when you go after our star players. Which of course will have zero affect on anything. The only thing that could be a true deterrent would be if Smackintyre hammered the heck out of him and we all know he won't fight a middle weight and will not fight unless the other guy accepts the rsvp.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 March 2011 13:35]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566259 is a reply to message #566231 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cooney  is currently offline Cooney

No Cups

Haha...take a look at the headline from tonight's game on the Oilers website.

#WINNING!
http://oilers.nhl.com/

Big Gulps eh?...........Well, cya later.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566266 is a reply to message #566259 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrean  is currently offline Adrean

No Cups

Cooney wrote on Sun, 06 March 2011 10:35

Haha...take a look at the headline from tonight's game on the Oilers website.

#WINNING!
http://oilers.nhl.com/

That is hilarious, I love it!

benv wrote on Thu, 02 November 2017 Adrean wins his first Survivor title!
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 Mighty Adrean is a two time champion
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 19 February 2020 For the third time Adam's Dad stands victorious

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566265 is a reply to message #566231 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Enough with the surprises already! Finish the season with a whimper like its supposed to be and lets move on to the 11/12 season.

Gilbert real solid D. Just can believe how well he played that game. On that note, I'm so infuriated by him.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566267 is a reply to message #566231 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

What do you mean our three top goal scorers weren't playing?

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566276 is a reply to message #566267 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Team Dean  is currently offline Team Dean

No Cups

Those top players going down could be a blessing in disguise, we are getting to see more of what Omark and MP can do, and even Cogs and Gags really seem to step up when given more opportunity, a la 2008.
I don't think that offensive power is our greatest area of weakness, for sure. Some guys go down, and we can still put up 5 goals on a good day.
That's good news. Nice to see Giroux finally get his chance and make the most of it too. We'll get a look at a few minor leaguers we may not have been able to otherwise.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566282 is a reply to message #566276 ]
Sun, 06 March 2011 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Omark brings what Hemsky brings, if we can fill a hole with a Hemsky trade, there should't be all too much of a concern about getting that player we'll need two years down the road. We already have the replacement.

I'd suggest that Omark is better than Hemsky if not now, then next year. Cap space is being wasted on a player that is often out. After this injury, the injury issues have come home and it's difficult to deny them as an issue.

Omark is the replacement for Hemsky. Let's get someone (a roster player) for him.

Crazy, when Hemsky's gone, the only left from '06, will be Horcoff.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566327 is a reply to message #566282 ]
Mon, 07 March 2011 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maurice  is currently offline Maurice

No Cups

What is starting to bother me about Hemsky is how often he is getting injured. He is turning into a 50 game player at best. The skill is definitely there. Probably in the top 10 but he doesn't bring it like top players do and he doesn't stay healthy.
So unfortunately, the Oilers will always have to pay pretty good for him because of the skill and the potential but they will know they will only get him for 50 games. Which really sucks.

I don't think you can replace Hemsky's skill with Omark because I think Omark isn't as good. Hemsky if he could stay healthy and now that he has some actual offensive guys on his team could score you 80+ points easily but is it better to have him with the potential of scoring 80+ points but knowing he will probably only play maybe a max of 60 games and get you 55 points or have a player will max out at 60 poins but will play most of the games. You sacrifice the potential of getting way more points but at least you got a guy you know will be there most of the year.

Real tough call.

Cogliano is not and will never be a valuable part of the Edmonton Oilers. The day he is no longer on the Oilers NHL roster is the day they turn the corner to being a good team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566329 is a reply to message #566327 ]
Mon, 07 March 2011 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RedRooster  is currently offline RedRooster

No Cups

At one point in the past few years, I actually would've taken Hemsky over Gaborik, due to all the ridiculous injuries that guy used to rack up. Now, Hemsky is that guy. Do we cut him loose like Minny did and watch him flourish healthily?
Tough call indeed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566330 is a reply to message #566329 ]
Mon, 07 March 2011 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

When seeing Hemsky in an interview during camp with a T-shirt on it was apparent that he has the physique of a 12 year old boy. I told my buddy he was going to be injured again right there and was right. Until he hits the weights and beefs up a bit he will always be a bandaid.

Ales HeRe: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566332 is a reply to message #566329 ]
Mon, 07 March 2011 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Ales Hemsky 47 42 0.893617021
Ryan Whitney 35 27 0.771428571
Jordan Eberle 53 36 0.679245283
Taylor Hall 65 42 0.646153846
Sam Gagner 66 42 0.636363636
Dustin Penner 62 39 0.629032258
Shawn Horcoff 43 27 0.627906977
Linus Omark 35 18 0.514285714
Andrew Cogliano 66 28 0.424242424
Magnus Paajarvi 64 26 0.40625
Tom Gilbert 66 24 0.363636364
Ryan Jones 65 19 0.292307692

GP Pts Pts/GP

So this might suggest that your right and Omark can't replace Hemsky, but Linus is just a rookie and hasn't had the linemates Hemsky has. Based on watching him (which is subjective at best) I'd suggest Omark is better, but as you see above, there is no hard data to support that.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Ales HeRe: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566355 is a reply to message #566332 ]
Mon, 07 March 2011 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 07 March 2011 10:03

Ales Hemsky 47 42 0.893617021
Ryan Whitney 35 27 0.771428571
Jordan Eberle 53 36 0.679245283
Taylor Hall 65 42 0.646153846
Sam Gagner 66 42 0.636363636
Dustin Penner 62 39 0.629032258
Shawn Horcoff 43 27 0.627906977
Linus Omark 35 18 0.514285714
Andrew Cogliano 66 28 0.424242424
Magnus Paajarvi 64 26 0.40625
Tom Gilbert 66 24 0.363636364
Ryan Jones 65 19 0.292307692

GP Pts Pts/GP

So this might suggest that your right and Omark can't replace Hemsky, but Linus is just a rookie and hasn't had the linemates Hemsky has. Based on watching him (which is subjective at best) I'd suggest Omark is better, but as you see above, there is no hard data to support that.

This article would support your point on his offensive prowess:

http://oilersnation.com/2011/3/6/is-omark-worth-keeping

Quote:

Even-strength Scoring. Looking at the even-strength scoring (adjusted for ice-time) leaders on this Edmonton Oilers team, we get the following:

•Ales Hemsky: 2.88 PTS/60
•Linus Omark: 2.17 PTS/60
•Jordan Eberle: 2.16 PTS/60
•Sam Gagner: 1.96 PTS/60
•Taylor Hall: 1.78 PTS/60
•Shawn Horcoff: 1.60 PTS/60

Now, I don't know if Hemsky's easily replaceable, because he really doesn't give up a lot defensively, and I think Omark has leaked chances at times this year. Omark needs to make better decisions with the puck in our own zone yet. He has almost too much belief in his abilities with the puck on his stick sometimes, and can hold on to it too long as a result.

I think the above numbers show just how far ahead Hemsky is compared to the rest of the pack on the Oilers. He really is an elite talent, and the kids aren't playing at even close to his level yet.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Ales HeRe: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66) [message #566379 is a reply to message #566355 ]
Mon, 07 March 2011 20:59 Go to previous message
azashi  is currently offline azashi

No Cups

And yet there's no shortage of clowns willing to trade him for a pick or prospect that may or may not turn out to be worth anything in 5 years. Injuries aside, Hemsky is still going to impact a game then, and the kids could use someone to teach them how to play.

Previous Topic:Giroux Recalled from OKC
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #66)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca