This day on August 15
Acquired: Ken Solheim (1985)

Happy Birthday To: Oilforever, Smytty97, recon929, OvenChicken8

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454424]
Wed, 31 December 2008 01:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

3 Cups

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
Calgary to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2008-09 Regular Season
Friday, October 17, 2008Edmonton 4 @ Calgary 3Win
Saturday, October 18, 2008Calgary 2 @ Edmonton 3Win
Wednesday, December 31, 2008Edmonton 4 @ Calgary 6Loss
Saturday, February 21, 2009Calgary 3 @ Edmonton 2 (OT) (SO)Loss
Friday, April 10, 2009Calgary 1 @ Edmonton 5Win
Saturday, April 11, 2009Edmonton 1 @ Calgary 4Loss
Home Record: 2-0-1       Road Record: 1-2-0       Overall Record: 3-2-1
Home / Road Goals For: 10/9 Total: 19
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/13 Total: 19

2007-08 Regular Season
Saturday, October 20, 2007Edmonton 1 @ Calgary 4Loss
Saturday, November 10, 2007Edmonton 4 @ Calgary 2Win
Saturday, November 17, 2007Calgary 3 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Sunday, January 13, 2008Calgary 1 @ Edmonton 2Win
Monday, February 4, 2008Calgary 0 @ Edmonton 5Win
Saturday, February 9, 2008Edmonton 1 @ Calgary 4Loss
Saturday, March 29, 2008Edmonton 2 @ Calgary 1Win
Tuesday, April 1, 2008Calgary 3 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 2-2-0       Road Record: 2-2-0       Overall Record: 4-4-0
Home / Road Goals For: 10/8 Total: 18
Home / Road Goals Against: 7/11 Total: 18

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454431 is a reply to message #454424 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Well, it's not a weekday game at Rexall, so the stink factor should be lower...

Hemsky, Pouliot, McIntyre, Pisani out, and Reddox, Brule expected to play significant minutes...Flames rested and on home ice...spooky

I'll concede Calgary is a more physical team than the Oilers, but the Oilers usually show more grit against the Flames than they do against, say, Florida or Ottawa.

The wins over Vancouver and Nashville put the Oilers back in the playoff scramble, but we have seen this scenario a bazillion times in the Lowe/MacT era...deflated confidence and bad strategies leading to slumps when the Oilers should be kicking butts and moving up the standings....

Obviously I have mixed feelings about this game specifically and the Oilers in general. I have almost 100% faith that Team Canada will be playing with passion, grit, and a sense of "team first" under Pat Quinn tonight...wish I had the same confidence in the Edmonton Oilers...but a win in Calgary over the Flames as 2008 fades away would be a great way to head into '09..

Happy New Year, everyone...

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454433 is a reply to message #454431 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rswiz  is currently offline rswiz

No Cups

With the loss last night which I will put a lower weighting on in terms of importance, I turn my attention to this game. Divisional opponent, therefore I see it as a must win. We must win to stay in the playoff mix, the uppsie-downsie rollercoaster for what we call team confidence makes me want to puke. I hope we get some points, I wish for a win but w/o Hemmer in the lineup I am not sure where Brule will be put.

Cole to the first line then? Would make sense to me since he seemed to have a good game last night even if we did lose it.

Glen Sather: "You can have all the talent in the world, but if the pumper's not there, it doesn't matter."

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454450 is a reply to message #454433 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

rswiz wrote on Wed, 31 December 2008 07:02

With the loss last night which I will put a lower weighting on in terms of importance, I turn my attention to this game. Divisional opponent, therefore I see it as a must win. We must win to stay in the playoff mix, the uppsie-downsie rollercoaster for what we call team confidence makes me want to puke. I hope we get some points, I wish for a win but w/o Hemmer in the lineup I am not sure where Brule will be put.

Cole to the first line then? Would make sense to me since he seemed to have a good game last night even if we did lose it.

Pretty sure Cole will stay with Gagner as they have shown some chemistry the last bit. Hopefully Brule slides in along side Horcoff and Penner.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454437 is a reply to message #454431 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oil Tycoon  is currently offline Oil Tycoon

No Cups

Well said Gabby! I think this is another example of the Jekyll and Hyde show we've been subjected to all year. They lose to a team in Ottawa that the Oil should easily beat, yet beat teams that they have no business beating.
It could go either way tonight. A gritty effort will go a long way to match the grit of the Flamers. My head says a loss tonight for the Oil, but my heart is telling me Roli steals one.
This is one BOA that I kinda don't want to watch....the way I don't want to watch a gorey trainwreck. Whatever happens, Happy New Year everyone! bdaysmile
GO OILERS GO!!!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454436 is a reply to message #454424 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Superintendent  is currently offline Superintendent

1 Cup

If 92 points gets a playoff spot (man I hate theorizing for mediocrity), this team now needs 55 points in 47 games...or a record of 27-19-1. We can ill afford any strings of losses, even if it is only 2.

All signs point to an Oiler loss tonight. Hemsky out, 2nd game of a back-to-back, Calgary had the night off, on the road, and we've taken 2 of 2 from them so far this year so the law of averages is against us.

I'll call a 4-2 Oiler loss...but wouldn't be shocked if somehow/someway this team pulls out a victory. This team is notorious for leaving points on the table against beatable opponents like last night...and at the same token, pulling out victories when we least expect it.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454446 is a reply to message #454436 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knits39  is currently offline knits39

No Cups

Win 4 - lose 3 - win 2 - lose 4 - win 3 - OOOOOOOh the life of a .500 hockey team.

If the Oilers keep up their consistency they will lose tonite for their second in a row and then win the next 2.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454451 is a reply to message #454424 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G-Star  is currently offline G-Star

No Cups

I wish we had big Mac in tonight. Oh well, I really hope for an Oil win but it will be tough. I know hes a call up but how Brule plays tonight will be a difference in the game. I am always with the Oil so I say 3-2 Oil.

Go Oil Go rock

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454455 is a reply to message #454451 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

G-Star wrote on Wed, 31 December 2008 10:45

I wish we had big Mac in tonight. Oh well, I really hope for an Oil win but it will be tough. I know hes a call up but how Brule plays tonight will be a difference in the game. I am always with the Oil so I say 3-2 Oil.

Go Oil Go rock

I'm with you G-Star, I always vote Oil in the score prediction.

I think Brule may have been the better call-up in this situation, he plays a bit of a tougher game than Schremp. As others have pointed out though, ideally we would have brought up both.

It's too bad about Pouliot, he had started to put some game together. Six (6) points in his last 12 games.

Curious again as to what the lines are going to be.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Erik Cole [message #454460 is a reply to message #454451 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TJ39  is currently offline TJ39

1 Cup

He could have been the difference in last nights game.

Hopefully the New Year will bring finish to his game.

Re: Erik Cole [message #454466 is a reply to message #454460 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

LINEUP UPDATES: Gilbert Brule was not in Calgary for the optional morning skate but it looks like he will probably slot in on the third line with Moreau and Cogliano, replacing Pouliot... Dwayne Roloson gets the start in goal.

http://oilers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=Previe w&seas=20082009&gtype=2&gnum=553

I guess that means Reddox stays on the first line. That line played very well last night all things considered.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454470 is a reply to message #454424 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feepa  is currently offline feepa

1 Cup

The wind is currently blowing from the north to the south, at least where I live. Seeing as I don't have any other feelings on tonights game, I'm only going with what the wind is telling me. 5-3 Oilers victory in Cowtown. This game should be the TSN turning point of the Oilers season, we lose to our division rival, loss confidence and slip back under the playoff line. A win tonight is huge, and a big step in the right direction. We must win tonight, its our game to win. We need the team we rarely see - the team that is there for the full 60 minutes, and never lets up, anything less then 100% and this is a L for sure.

feepa

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454478 is a reply to message #454470 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Screw Pat Quinn, I nominate feepa as head coach!

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: [message #454476 is a reply to message #454424 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MyBestGuess  is currently offline MyBestGuess

1 Cup

I believe the only way we win this one is if Rollie is amazing. Last night, though I thought we played fairly well, I really noticed Hemmer's absence in carrying the puck up ice. Having Horc pick up some slack and continued strong play from Cole/Gagner would also be nice. Hoping Nilsson or Gagner can run the half boards on the PP. The Flames have been good though and they'll be tough to beat at home.

Oilers Goal Horn
http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=6B5D44535654

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454479 is a reply to message #454424 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longcat  is currently offline Longcat

No Cups

No Hemsky?

I hope it is a horrible, embarrassing defeat, and Lowe has a heart attack. Mac-T resigns. Best possible scenario.

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 14:57

I'm just going to say it, this Longcat fellow is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454480 is a reply to message #454479 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MoogintheHOF  is currently offline MoogintheHOF

No Cups

I was at the Flames game vs. the Wild on Monday and the Flames looked decent but every time I go I hardly notice Iggy at all and since I'm going to the game tonight I hope that continues.
Phaneuf is in a huge slump so hopefully that continues but we all know how the Oilers like to end opponents' streaks.
I'll be proudly wearing my Oilers jersey tonight, I'm not full of confidence but I think they'll have a better game than last night and Cole and Gagner are starting to heat up. Roli will need to be at his best tonight and I think Nilsson will pot the winner, he seems to play well in Cowtown!

Go Oil! Happy New Year!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454483 is a reply to message #454480 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

1 Cup

If they can allow Iginla to sleep through this one, they have a chance.

But given the many sub par efforts Ive seen so far this season, I dont have a good feeling about an Oiler victory. Flames take this one, handedly.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454498 is a reply to message #454483 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jimmer  is currently offline Jimmer

No Cups

Month of December:

Oilers 7W - 4L - 1OL
Calgary 7W - 2L -3OL

Even without Hemsky this should be a close one. Can't wait.

Edmonton 3 Calgary 2 Shoot Out Victory!

“I wanna kiss you. I couldn't care less about the team struggguulliing…We're looking to make a noise now and ... I wanna kiss you!” – Joe Namath.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36) [message #454499 is a reply to message #454480 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 18:56 Go to previous message
oilfaningp  is currently offline oilfaningp

No Cups

MoogintheHOF wrote on Wed, 31 December 2008 16:12

I was at the Flames game vs. the Wild on Monday and the Flames looked decent but every time I go I hardly notice Iggy at all and since I'm going to the game tonight I hope that continues.
Phaneuf is in a huge slump so hopefully that continues but we all know how the Oilers like to end opponents' streaks.
I'll be proudly wearing my Oilers jersey tonight, I'm not full of confidence but I think they'll have a better game than last night and Cole and Gagner are starting to heat up. Roli will need to be at his best tonight and I think Nilsson will pot the winner, he seems to play well in Cowtown!

Go Oil! Happy New Year!

You said the magic word...SLUMP. The slumpbusters will accomodate Phaneuf and I bet he gets a hat trick.

Re: Pregame: [message #454496 is a reply to message #454424 ]
Wed, 31 December 2008 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil  is currently offline Dr. Oil

1 Cup

The Flames are playing their best hockey of the season. The Oilers are playing, well, the same .500 hockey they've played all season.

A 4-1 Flames victory sounds about right. Prove me wrong Oilers.

I hope Brule has a standout game. We will need our PP to work some magic because we're very unlikely to create anything 5-on-5 tonight.

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #36)
Next Topic:Brule called up
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca