This day on September 27
Acquired: Dean Hopkins (1985) Sebastien Bisaillon (2006)

Happy Birthday To: Leia, Sedated, Oilfanforever!!

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: San Jose @ Edmonton
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: San Jose @ Edmonton [message #225219]
Fri, 03 March 2006 21:15 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

3 Cups

/images/logos/san_comp.gif/images/logos/edm_comp.gif
San Jose @ Edmonton

Send a private message to this user  

Now that the Oilers have won... [message #225245 is a reply to message #225219 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tarkus  is currently offline Tarkus

1 Cup

...Will they still go after a goalie? icon_nod

“An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile hoping it will eat him last.”- Winston Churchill

Re: Now that the Oilers have won... [message #225249 is a reply to message #225245 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RiversQ  is currently offline RiversQ

No Cups

Tarkus wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 23:26

I sure hope so. That might be the stupidest reason to make a trade - whether or not Conklin plays well on March 3rd? icon_rolleyes

EDIT: Not aimed at you Tark. Aimed right at that MONSTER McGuire. 'Cause I'm sure he's reading. icon_wink

The word is yamaha. I felt pretty yamaha.

- Owen Pallett

Re: Now that the Oilers have won... [message #225257 is a reply to message #225249 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tarkus  is currently offline Tarkus

1 Cup

RiversQ wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 22:28

Tarkus wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 23:26

I sure hope so. That might be the stupidest reason to make a trade - whether or not Conklin plays well on March 3rd? icon_rolleyes

EDIT: Not aimed at you Tark. Aimed right at that MONSTER McGuire. 'Cause I'm sure he's reading. icon_wink

I'm referring to McGuire's statement about the Oilers getting a goalie by this time tomorrow if the tending sucked tonight.

Yeah, I realize it's folly to make decisions based on one game, even if it is during a stretch drive...

“An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile hoping it will eat him last.”- Winston Churchill

Re: Now that the Oilers have won... [message #225254 is a reply to message #225245 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilmanFan  is currently offline OilmanFan

No Cups

I never thought that Conklin would get another win in an Oiler jersey, but what was more shocking was the Ales Hemsky goal. WOW!!

It has to be atleast second behind Spezza's goal this year. clapping

If Seguin gets 51 pts:

G2K= $100
V4ance=$100

Nail Yakupov

Re: Now that the Oilers have won... [message #225307 is a reply to message #225254 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigPoppaSmurf  is currently offline BigPoppaSmurf

No Cups

OilmanFan wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 21:29

I never thought that Conklin would get another win in an Oiler jersey, but what was more shocking was the Ales Hemsky goal. WOW!!

It has to be atleast second behind Spezza's goal this year. clapping

Third, Ovechkin lying on his back is too hard to forget!

OMF, you seem to forget one... [message #225358 is a reply to message #225254 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HBomb  is currently offline HBomb

1 Cup

....the Ovechkin goal against Phoenix. That's number 1, Spezza's is 2nd, and Hemsky's gets 3rd in my books.

Re: OMF, you seem to forget one... [message #225470 is a reply to message #225358 ]
Sat, 04 March 2006 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dawgbone  is currently offline dawgbone

No Cups

HBomb wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 01:28

....the Ovechkin goal against Phoenix. That's number 1, Spezza's is 2nd, and Hemsky's gets 3rd in my books.

I put the Hemsky goal right behind the Ovechkin one...

Can't argue with the game winner with a buck to play in the game!

Re: OMF, you seem to forget one... [message #225490 is a reply to message #225470 ]
Sat, 04 March 2006 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

dawgbone wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 15:26

HBomb wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 01:28

I put the Hemsky goal right behind the Ovechkin one...

Can't argue with the game winner with a buck to play in the game!

Sure you can - OT winner by Spezza.

Ovechkin's had too much of a fluke element to it, but great nonetheless. icon_smile

Re: OMF, you seem to forget one... [message #225566 is a reply to message #225490 ]
Sat, 04 March 2006 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilmann89  is currently offline oilmann89

No Cups

How about Zherdev's coast to coast effort to tie the game in the last minute. I think it was one of the better goals this season, nobody seems to remember/give him any credit for that one.

Re: OMF, you seem to forget one... [message #225591 is a reply to message #225566 ]
Sat, 04 March 2006 15:36 Go to previous message

3 Cups

oilmann89 wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 18:04

How about Zherdev's coast to coast effort to tie the game in the last minute. I think it was one of the better goals this season, nobody seems to remember/give him any credit for that one.

Because it wasn't a good as the 3 others mentioned! icon_biggrin

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton [message #225261 is a reply to message #225219 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SWC11  is currently offline SWC11

No Cups

we still need a goalie

http://i5.tinypic.com/4drktfn.gif

Kevin Lowe, make us a contender again...

Re: Review: [message #225271 is a reply to message #225219 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

I really worry that K-Lowe thinks he's found the answer tonight, hopefully it takes some of the preasure of and maybe helps Lowe make a deal.

I do not know why #94 was not 1st star, he was all over tonight. I thought Ty played good, not sure about the swimmer impression on SJ's 2nd goal but overall a good performance. I thought Horc was ass excluding been in the right sport for the 2-2 goal. Stansny was pretty invisible tonight which may not be a bad thing for a rookie and the D looked real solid. What a move by Hemsky, if he starts driving the net like that he could be an absolute scoring monster.

We really need to address the other team scoring within a minute of us scoring, how many times have we seen that this year?

Overall I really think the Oil played a good road game tonight (I know they were @ home) and it payed off like a road game.

Renaissance 2015

Didn't get to see or hear tonight, but... [message #225278 is a reply to message #225219 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

I've seen highlights. I wanna know a few things.

How did Conklin look? I'm not jumping off the trading bandwagon, but if he looks good, it increases the odds of someone taking him.

Any rooks in the line-up tonight? How did they look?

And, perhaps most importantly, how did Smith look? I know he had a couple of assists, but that's his game. Was he physical? Was he blocking shots?

Thank you! rock

Given that I don't have any geographic ties to Edmonton, why I'm still cheering for this franchise baffles me sometimes.

Re: Didn't get to see or hear tonight, but... [message #225280 is a reply to message #225278 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SWC11  is currently offline SWC11

No Cups

Hibernia wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 23:47

I've seen highlights. I wanna know a few things.

How did Conklin look? I'm not jumping off the trading bandwagon, but if he looks good, it increases the odds of someone taking him.

Any rooks in the line-up tonight? How did they look?

And, perhaps most importantly, how did Smith look? I know he had a couple of assists, but that's his game. Was he physical? Was he blocking shots?

Thank you! rock

Conks was good...like Ferraro said, he doesn't need to be great tonight, just good enough. Made a few key saves and was fairly consistent, for once

Statsny was in, looked good again. Great skater, can really move out there and is gonna pot some goals when he gets with some real linemates (was out with BG and Harvey)

Gator was a force. Big hit on Eckman to start the game, chipped in offensively and played his consistent brand of rock-hard D. Damn, we missed him.

http://i5.tinypic.com/4drktfn.gif

Kevin Lowe, make us a contender again...

Re: Didn't get to see or hear tonight, but... [message #225285 is a reply to message #225278 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemsky83  is currently offline Hemsky83

No Cups

great win...and no this hasnt changed lowe's mind about our goaltending situation...we need a goalie to play good every game...nto once every 10 starts...conklin is clearly not a starter...neither are morrison or markannen...expect a deal...i hope he pulls the trigger earlier rather than later...casue i know teams will be asking for too much casue they know our desperation...moreau looked solid tonight...so did laraque that guys on the verge of going on a run i swear ahahah...but yeah lucky win tonight thanks to some great play late

"Ales Hemsky is probably the smoothest player in the league today when he's got the puck ... when he's stickhandling, nobody's close"
-Joe Sakic
"We got to turn this team around 360 degrees" -Jarome Iginla

Re: Review: [message #225288 is a reply to message #225219 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

BG seems to have remembered how to play hockey these last few games. Good on him! icon_thumbsup

Stastny has impressed me more in 2 games than Isbister did his entire Oiler tenure. Though that's not saying much, he looks really good out there. Good trade! icon_biggrin

A lot of people didn't like Conks play on the 2nd goal, but what if Joe would have shot? IMO, he took a guess and it was the wrong one. I'm far from being a Conklin supporter, but he didn't have a bad game. His positioning looked better than most games he's played, his rebound control was pretty good, and he came up big a couple of times. Not spectacular, but damn near NHL level goaltending. icon_thumbsup

And that Hemsky goal - I laughed out loud. Couldn't believe it went in. Amazing.

Re: Review: [message #225291 is a reply to message #225219 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Copperoiler  is currently offline Copperoiler

1 Cup

Let's see....

Conks.....had some good moments tonight actually....some decent saves, controlled most of his rebounds and a beauty read on a play let him fire a long range pass right to Smyth who just couldn't bury it....

However still had the Conklinesque play we've all come to love as well, the first goal 16 sec after we finally score was nearly a backbreaker, couldn't keep his legs together and it squeaked through completely deflating the team in front of him.......

I can't really blame him too much for the second one....Chee/Thor has been one of the most dominant pairings in the league and a two on one with them is bound to be deadly.....but the Conklin leaping swan dive to the side definately scored high marks on the artistic side, but the french judge dinged him on the technical....

Let's face it, Ty wasn't playing for his job here tonight....he was playing to continue his career, and hopefully he can find his game again.......but it ain't here......good luck, good future, good bye... wave

I only noticed Stastny a time or two so I can't really comment, had good energy out there on that 4th line...

Smith came out of the gate with some big hits, looked damn good throughout and was the single reason why we got that 2nd goal.....him and Moreau being back is HUGE....Moreau looked to be returning to form as well, nearly cashing on a good SH chance....

The Hemmer goal was SICK......'nuff said....

Let's hope we get the new goalie in the next 24, I can't take the wait any longer....

MONSTER 2 points for the Oil, way to pull it out boys....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Copperoiler/4drktfn.gif

Re: Review: [message #225300 is a reply to message #225291 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jbcurrie  is currently offline jbcurrie

No Cups

What I am wondering is what Georges is thinking when he sees Smith, Moreau and Staios out there sticking up for the team when the Sharks start running around....just exactly what is his role.

I can understand that they expect him to play....but come on....that's his job....I mean Moreau came out and fought Smith first chance after Smith hit one of ours guys (Horcoff?) from behind....

habeus porkus

Re: Review: [message #225303 is a reply to message #225300 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Georges has "played" well of late, but you're right, he still hasn't figured out his role on the team yet...or has forgotten it.

Re: Review: [message #225310 is a reply to message #225303 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Mikey wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 22:10

Georges has "played" well of late, but you're right, he still hasn't figured out his role on the team yet...or has forgotten it.

Haha......I still tingle with anticipation when George in in the corner doin' his thing with the puck and wonder what is he going to do with it......

.....and then when the other team starts heading back the other way with it 20 sec. later i go......."oh"

Re: Review: [message #225316 is a reply to message #225310 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

He should take some one on one sessions with Hemsky. Can you imagine that guy with hands.

Re: Review: [message #225321 is a reply to message #225316 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Mikey wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 22:18

He should take some one on one sessions with Hemsky. Can you imagine that guy with hands.

I honestly thought he had a shot when he was on that partial break down the right side, would have loved to see him roof it........unfortunately all he hit was glass.....

Re: Review: [message #225304 is a reply to message #225291 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jbcurrie  is currently offline jbcurrie

No Cups

Your absolutely right.....Smith with a huge hit on Ekman on the first shift. The gets two points...WHAT A STUD...Moreau looked pretty good considering...and gets in a fight...These two guys are real leaders on this team....

habeus porkus

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton [message #225319 is a reply to message #225219 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ccousine  is currently offline ccousine

No Cups

I thought the team played well. Wondered out loud if maybe Klowe will move Tarnstrom at the deadline. Enough teams are desparate for Dmen and so far he hasn't impressed. At this point I'd take both Spacek and Bergeron on the PP before Tarnstrom, and they are both WAY better defensively. Just my two cents. icon_cool

"Travelling with Mario Lemieux was like travelling with the Rolling Stones."

Pierre McGuire

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton [message #225329 is a reply to message #225319 ]
Fri, 03 March 2006 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

ccousine wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 01:20

I thought the team played well. Wondered out loud if maybe Klowe will move Tarnstrom at the deadline. Enough teams are desparate for Dmen and so far he hasn't impressed. At this point I'd take both Spacek and Bergeron on the PP before Tarnstrom, and they are both WAY better defensively. Just my two cents. icon_cool

Well, what I've seen with Tarnstrom is not just PP - it's keeping it alive at ES as well. He may give up a couple of chances that other guys wouldn't, but he'll create a hell of a lot more than a lot of others would.

Spacek so far - icon_thumbsup icon_thumbsup icon_thumbsup
Tarnstrom - icon_thumbsup icon_thumbsup

Previous Topic:GDT: San Jose @ Edmonton
Next Topic:Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca