F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues [message #719263]
Mon, 01 October 2018 08:22 Go to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Just tweeted by the Oilers. They have traded Jerabek to the Blues for a 2020 6th round. I am in complete shock at this. Did the Blues not watch any Oilers games. The guy couldn't make a pass against junior players. I know this is a nothing trade in the grand scheme of things but I can't believe they got something for him.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues [message #719269 is a reply to message #719263 ]
Mon, 01 October 2018 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 01 October 2018 08:22

Just tweeted by the Oilers. They have traded Jerabek to the Blues for a 2020 6th round. I am in complete shock at this. Did the Blues not watch any Oilers games. The guy couldn't make a pass against junior players. I know this is a nothing trade in the grand scheme of things but I can't believe they got something for him.

Got a 2020 6th rd pick that turns into a 5th if he plays 50 + games.

Got something out of nothing and $1 milion in cap gone.

Re: Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues [message #719270 is a reply to message #719263 ]
Mon, 01 October 2018 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

This is the Blues saying that they believe he's more likely still the guy he was last year with the Caps and the Canadiens than what he showed with the Oilers, and they pick up a little injury insurance for their blueline.

Shocking that we managed to get anything for him - and a little bizarre, seeing as they would have been able to claim him on waivers right away. They must have believed someone else was going to take him ahead of them.

I would say that given how few European players excel under McLellan, it's probably not a bad bet for them, at a relatively low cost.

Still, nice for the Oilers to get something there, and frees up a little room for one of the PTOs to be signed. Given the Oilers went to Europe with 25 guys plus Starrett, I wouldn't be shocked if by the time they come home, those guys are signed and there's been a couple more players assigned to Bakersfield.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues [message #719277 is a reply to message #719270 ]
Mon, 01 October 2018 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 October 2018 08:46

This is the Blues saying that they believe he's more likely still the guy he was last year with the Caps and the Canadiens than what he showed with the Oilers, and they pick up a little injury insurance for their blueline.

Shocking that we managed to get anything for him - and a little bizarre, seeing as they would have been able to claim him on waivers right away. They must have believed someone else was going to take him ahead of them.

I would say that given how few European players excel under McLellan, it's probably not a bad bet for them, at a relatively low cost.

Still, nice for the Oilers to get something there, and frees up a little room for one of the PTOs to be signed. Given the Oilers went to Europe with 25 guys plus Starrett, I wouldn't be shocked if by the time they come home, those guys are signed and there's been a couple more players assigned to Bakersfield.

Well I am not a pro hockey scout and I get for some guys it takes them time to warm up so that is what the preseason is for. So maybe you have a bad first game but over the preseason, you should get better. But he didn't at all. By all accounts based on what medias have said watching him and even based on what the coaches said, he didn't even look remotely decent in practice. If teh Blues can turn him into something, good for them but I don't think he can play in the NHL.

Re: Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues [message #719279 is a reply to message #719277 ]
Mon, 01 October 2018 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 01 October 2018 08:51

Well I am not a pro hockey scout and I get for some guys it takes them time to warm up so that is what the preseason is for. So maybe you have a bad first game but over the preseason, you should get better. But he didn't at all. By all accounts based on what medias have said watching him and even based on what the coaches said, he didn't even look remotely decent in practice. If teh Blues can turn him into something, good for them but I don't think he can play in the NHL.

He played in 36 regular season games, plus two playoff games last year. That suggests he's at least good enough to be a bubble guy. Pre-season is a two week period that you should never read too much in to.

And, given the Oesterle comments last week (below), I don't know if I trust McLellan to properly handle defencemen who aren't either offensive stars or defensive defencemen.

Quote:

This particular system’s emphasis was a big part of why he set his sights on Chicago as a free agent last summer, hitting the market as a Group 6 UFA after failing to skate out in 80 NHL games for the Edmonton Oilers in his first three pro seasons.

“They’re a team where the coaches really encourage the D-men jumping into the play and joining the rush,” he said. “When I was in Edmonton, I was kind of stuck in a model of … they wanted more defensive defensemen.”

His reflection of the systems he’s played in is a quiet but harsh indictment of the way the Oilers have deployed their blue line. It wasn’t, in essence, the kind of defensive corps that move the puck up the ice, but rather wait for the puck to come to them in order to stop it.

Chicago was much more his speed. And luckily, that’s exactly what he’s found in Arizona as well.

It's possible that Jerabek was a fish out of water here. He didn't do enough to impress, and now he's moved on. I'm not losing any sleep over that. But it's worth noting that the Blues must have believed that more teams than just them were interested in the player and think the Oilers have flushed a useful piece.

Hopefully the Blues are right...it would be nice to get the 5th rounder.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues [message #719283 is a reply to message #719279 ]
Mon, 01 October 2018 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 October 2018 08:57

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 01 October 2018 08:51

He played in 36 regular season games, plus two playoff games last year. That suggests he's at least good enough to be a bubble guy. Pre-season is a two week period that you should never read too much in to.

And, given the Oesterle comments last week (below), I don't know if I trust McLellan to properly handle defencemen who aren't either offensive stars or defensive defencemen.

Quote:

This particular system’s emphasis was a big part of why he set his sights on Chicago as a free agent last summer, hitting the market as a Group 6 UFA after failing to skate out in 80 NHL games for the Edmonton Oilers in his first three pro seasons.

“They’re a team where the coaches really encourage the D-men jumping into the play and joining the rush,” he said. “When I was in Edmonton, I was kind of stuck in a model of … they wanted more defensive defensemen.”

His reflection of the systems he’s played in is a quiet but harsh indictment of the way the Oilers have deployed their blue line. It wasn’t, in essence, the kind of defensive corps that move the puck up the ice, but rather wait for the puck to come to them in order to stop it.

Chicago was much more his speed. And luckily, that’s exactly what he’s found in Arizona as well.

It's possible that Jerabek was a fish out of water here. He didn't do enough to impress, and now he's moved on. I'm not losing any sleep over that. But it's worth noting that the Blues must have believed that more teams than just them were interested in the player and think the Oilers have flushed a useful piece.

Hopefully the Blues are right...it would be nice to get the 5th rounder.

Maybe you are right but in my opinion if you can't go out there in preseason and at no time look like you can play at all, that's a problem for me. A guy can get off to a slow start, he can struggles at times but in my opinion, you have to at least show flashes. He wasn't even good for a single period.

Armstrong must have had a poker debt to Chia from past GM meetings that Chia agreed to waive because to trade ANYTHING for Jerabek when he is probably going on waivers this morning makes no sense. To trade for Jerabek when he is going to go on waivers is something that Chia does. I don't care what he supposedly did, Montreal dumped him and their defense sucks and he couldn't crack the Oilers line up. Jerabek couldn't beat out Garrison, a PTO guy and that isn't my opinion, that's the truth. That is how bad he was. If he couldn't beat out Garrison, you are freaking bad.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 October 2018 09:21]

Re: Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues [message #719284 is a reply to message #719283 ]
Mon, 01 October 2018 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 01 October 2018 09:17

Maybe you are right but in my opinion if you can't go out there in preseason and at no time look like you can play at all, that's a problem for me. A guy can get off to a slow start, he can struggles at times but in my opinion, you have to at least show flashes. He wasn't even good for a single period.

Armstrong must have had a poker debt to Chia from past GM meetings that Chia agreed to waive because to trade ANYTHING for Jerabek when he is probably going on waivers this morning makes no sense. To trade for Jerabek when he is going to go on waivers is something that Chia does. I don't care what he supposedly did, Montreal dumped him and their defense sucks and he couldn't crack the Oilers line up. Jerabek couldn't beat out Garrison, a PTO guy and that isn't my opinion, that's the truth. That is how bad he was. If he couldn't beat out Garrison, you are freaking bad.

Armstrong sought out this deal. The Oilers "released" Jerabek yesterday, so they were going to have to put him on waivers shortly. The Blues wanted the guy.

Worth noting - the Blues could also sign Garrison right now since he's only on a tryout for the Oilers - and it wouldn't have cost them anything to do so. So Garrison beat out Jerabek for the Oilers, but Jerabek beat out Garrison for the Blues. Call it a wash.

Re: Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues [message #719287 is a reply to message #719284 ]
Mon, 01 October 2018 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 October 2018 09:37

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 01 October 2018 09:17

Armstrong sought out this deal. The Oilers "released" Jerabek yesterday, so they were going to have to put him on waivers shortly. The Blues wanted the guy.

Worth noting - the Blues could also sign Garrison right now since he's only on a tryout for the Oilers - and it wouldn't have cost them anything to do so. So Garrison beat out Jerabek for the Oilers, but Jerabek beat out Garrison for the Blues. Call it a wash.

Well good for the Blues. If your calling card is supposedly offense and puck moving and you can't make a pass against junior guys and AHLers, you can't play in the NHL. It's not like he didn't get a chance to play. He got into 5 games and he was terrible in all of them and he wasn't even good in practice apparently.

Re: Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues [message #719289 is a reply to message #719287 ]
Mon, 01 October 2018 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

Thats called good asset management boys. Just a solid NHL 04 move right there.

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues [message #719333 is a reply to message #719263 ]
Mon, 01 October 2018 14:03 Go to previous message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Yeah, I'm a fan of this move. We basically conjure a 6th-round pick out of thin air. I would have preferred that Jerabek turn out as a solid 6/7 D-man here. But given that was not going to happen, I love that we got a pick and unloaded him.

Previous Topic:Fire Chiarelli
Next Topic:Pre-season Lineup 9/27/18- Coyotes at Oilers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca